LONG ISLAND | General Developments Updates/Compilation - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT

NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT Westchester and Rockland counties | Nassau and Suffolk counties | Fairfield County

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #101
Urbanica

Likes (Received): 93

Hempstead - Downtown - First Rendering!

A rendering of the first phase of the Hempstead downtown redevelopment was just posted on Renaissance Downtown's Facebook page. Not bad...huge in size at 336 apartments, this alone will probably add close to 500 people downtown. Choice of materials is again key. Looking forward to this. Supposedly renderings of phase 2, nearer the train station, will come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanica View Post
I missed this in the news recently, but the first two buildings of Hempstead's massive downtown redevelopment have been approved. It looks like 336 apartments in two 5 story buildings on two plots that are not adjacent. Still no renderings...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/t...214?pts=932426

Hempstead Village redevelopment plan's first phase gets OK
Updated November 18, 2014 8:53 PM
By JOHN ASBURY

The Hempstead Village Planning Board approved two five-floor apartment buildings to be constructed in the first phase of the $2.5 billion downtown redevelopment project.

The board voted 3-2 Monday for Plainview-based Renaissance Downtowns to build the 336-unit apartments at Washington and Front streets. The site now is used for two parking lots across from Hempstead Town Hall.

...more in the article
Urbanica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #102
Middle-Island

Passed through Mineola last week, and was surprised to see a couple of midrise apartment buildings going up. One on Old Country Rd. up to 8th level with concrete structure. 7 was always the max there. Also a modern and angular W Hotel on Mineola Blvd that seems to have come from nowhere--6 or 7 stories. Looks just about completed but not yet opened. Can't find information on the internet about any of these. All are close to LIRR station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Why are the towns so huge on LI?
Hempstead is both a village (>50k), and a township (>700k).
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #103
Urbanica

Mineola Downtown "Boom"

Aside from the two mid-rise apartment buildings you saw under construction, there are two others worthy of note; all of these (the two under construction on Old Country Rd) and these two new ones below are within a few blocks of each other and the train station. Mineola very quickly is becoming a poster child for smart growth. It still needs some streetscape improvements, but the Village is definitely alive:

Winthrop Hospital Research and Academic Center - Recently Completed

Mineola Village Green - Recent Proposal. This will be one block east of the train station. Currently under review by the Village. I love this proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
Passed through Mineola last week, and was surprised to see a couple of midrise apartment buildings going up. One on Old Country Rd. up to 8th level with concrete structure. 7 was always the max there. Also a modern and angular W Hotel on Mineola Blvd that seems to have come from nowhere--6 or 7 stories. Looks just about completed but not yet opened. Can't find information on the internet about any of these. All are close to LIRR station.

Hempstead is both a village (>50k), and a township (>700k).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #104
Middle-Island

Sorry. Obviously a goof on my part about the "W" while passing by. Winthrop is practically becoming DT Mineola, with all of the expansions over the years.
Old December 30th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #105
Urbanica

I like it that the new Winthrop research center is actually downtown and right against the street, and not set back in their "campus" a few blocks away. This will definitely increase pedestrain activity around Mineola's core. The contemporary design presents pretty well also.

The Hempstead-Garden City-Mineola axis is coming on strong, development wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
Sorry. Obviously a goof on my part about the "W" while passing by. Winthrop is practically becoming DT Mineola, with all of the expansions over the years.

Middle-Island liked this post
Old January 14th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #106
urbanaturalist

Likes (Received): 78

Really surprised by projects in Long Island. That infill suburban growth is looking great. Nice.
urbanaturalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #107
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Highland Green in Melville, NY

Limited Equity Co-op in Huntington Secures Financing

January 23, 2015 at 12:52pm

Quote:
The developer of Highland Green, a 117-unit townhouse project planned for a site in Melville, has secured the financing needed to move forward, officials said.

Calling it Long Island’s first limited equity cooperative, Huntington Town Supervisor Frank Petrone said he expects construction for the Ruland Road project to begin this spring.

“This is a major step toward building the first example of what could become an important affordable housing option for Long Island,” Petrone said.

D&F Development Group, the project’s developer, obtained financing from a variety of sources, including the New York State Housing Finance Agency, the New York State Affordable Housing Corporation, the Suffolk County Department of Economic Development and Planning and the Long Island Housing Partnership, which will administer the lottery for the units in cooperation with the developer and the town. Private banks are also involved.

Of the 117 units, 93 will be available to persons whose income does not exceed 60 percent of the area median income ($44,150 for an individual, $63,050 for a family of four). The remaining 24 units will be available to those whose income does not exceed 80 percent of the median ($58,850 for an individual and $84,100 for a family of four). Ten percent of the units will have preference for certain veterans, 10 percent will be for handicapped persons and four percent will be for the hearing or visually impaired. The development will have 72 one-bedroom units, 39 two-bedroom units and six three-bedroom units.

Limited equity cooperatives are designed to provide affordable home ownership to qualified income eligible residents by allowing residents to purchase shares in the development for a minimal amount of equity investment.

[...]

Florey said he expects the project to be complete by November 2016.
Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #108
nationalcollectors

Likes (Received): 0

The population of the world is growing very fast, so these is huge development in every city of the world.
nationalcollectors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #109
Urbanica

Elmont - Belmont Park Proposal Update

Quote:
This has been going on for a while. The area immediately around Belmont Park, the last jewel on the triple crown, is extremely unattractive and aside from the racetrack and residential neighborhoods (which overall are in pretty good shape), the area holds no interest to any visitor. Hempstead Turnpike in front of Belmont Park is completely dated.

The state issued an RFP for the property around the racetrack some time ago. The racetrack will obviously stay; the RFP was for the parking areas immediately surrounding the racetrack. One proposal was for the new New York Cosmos stadium. Other proposals are for retail; but none would allow for housing. (Incidentally, there is some sort of master plan to redevelop the Elmont village center to the east. Right now, Elmont downtown is a terribly dated and unattractive place).

From

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...tate-1.7260447

This artist's rendering provided by the Spector Group on Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, shows a proposed New York Cosmos soccer stadium at Belmont Park in Elmont. (Credit: AP )

Belmont Park redevelopment decision due soon, says state
Originally published: March 2, 2014 8:14 PM
Updated: March 2, 2014 10:22 PM
By ROBERT BRODSKY

A state agency says it is nearing a decision on the proposed redevelopment of Belmont Park, 18 months after soliciting private sector bids for a 36-acre tract carved from a parking lot.

The Empire State Development Corp said in a statement last week that it is still considering responses to a request for proposals it issued in September 2012.

"We . . . hope to announce a decision soon," said Jason Conwall, a spokesman for the agency. "We want to be thorough and comprehensive."

Empire State officials have said repeatedly during the past year that the agency was nearing a decision on the project. In August, officials told Newsday a decision was expected within weeks.

Four bidders responded to the RFP, including the revived New York Cosmos soccer franchise. The team proposed a $400 million, 25,000-seat stadium that would be privately financed. The Cosmos plan also includes a 175-room hotel, restaurants, retail stores and a public park on the northern section of the property near the racetrack.

...more in Newsday...
Update on this; in the news recently the New York Cosmos are getting very frustrated over the pace of the proposal and how long it is taking New York State to designate a preferred developer. The Cosmos proposal is only one of many.

This week the Cosmos threatened to look elsewhere to build their stadium; sites include other ones on Long Island, in NYC, in Westchester, and even *gasp* in New Jersey.

I really love this current proposal at Belmont; architecture is amazing, and it would infuse a significant amount of money into the area. Do it, New York State.
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #110
Urbanica

Hempstead - Downtown -Phase II Rendering

A rendering for Phase II has been released. I believe the site for this building is almost immediately next to the Long Island Railroad Station. This is really starting to get exciting for Hempstead; Phase I should break ground this Spring, and Phase II is announced. The area desperately needs some streetscape improvements, but this continues to be transformational for a Village that has been down on its luck for 50 years. I like it.

Phase II Downtown Hempstead
From: http://renewhempstead.com/2014/12/18...ate-fall-2014/

Quote:
A rendering of the first phase of the Hempstead downtown redevelopment was just posted on Renaissance Downtown's Facebook page. Not bad...huge in size at 336 apartments, this alone will probably add close to 500 people downtown. Choice of materials is again key. Looking forward to this. Supposedly renderings of phase 2, nearer the train station, will come soon.

Old March 25th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #111
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18450

I saw the Hempstead projects very impressive. I wish they would focus around the West Hempstead station aswell. Also restore the line up to the Oyster Bay Branch...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #112
Urbanica

Nassau Coliseum Development - Delay - Lawsuit?

I continue to hate everything about this project. Not only is it a somewhat failed vision that resulted from the Town of Hempstead basically chasing the New York Islanders away, and what now has turned into a proposed glorified shopping plaza with a theater, now the development team is squabbling.

Per this article:

http://libn.com/2015/03/26/developer...iseum-project/

"A dispute between the partners in the redevelopment of the Nassau Coliseum may wind up in court and delay one of Long Island’s most-anticipated projects indefinitely, sources say.

The disagreement between Forest City Ratner and Blumenfeld Development Group over the scope of the retail and entertainment part of the plan has been brewing for the last three months...

...Sources close to the situation say BDG would like to avoid taking its case to court, but so far, attempts by Mangano to diffuse the partners’ disagreement have been fruitless. If a settlement isn’t arrived at soon and a lawsuit is filed, observers say the Coliseum development could be stalled for several months or even years."

When the Islanders relocate to Brooklyn for the start of the 2015/2016 season, I can see this area a vast wasteland for many years as this drags on the Nassau County way. This could have been a site for a model suburban smart growth development in the center of Nassau County near it all. Such is life on this Island...

Read more: http://libn.com/2015/03/26/developer...#ixzz3VWAXSLt6

Quote:
Ratner's Nassau Events Center to renovate Coliseum

"Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano has chosen Forest City Ratner's Nassau Events Center to renovate the Nassau Coliseum, in a deal that could transform the 77-acre property in the heart of the county and provide Nassau with millions of dollars a year in new revenues....

...Forest City Ratner's $229 million proposal calls for a renovated 13,000-seat arena, a 2,000-seat indoor theater, an outdoor amphitheater, restaurants, an ice-skating rink and retail space. Under the plan, the Islanders would play six home regular or preseason games at the renovated Coliseum."

from http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...seum-1.5897194
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #113
Urbanica

Quote:
I saw the Hempstead projects very impressive. I wish they would focus around the West Hempstead station aswell. Also restore the line up to the Oyster Bay Branch...
West Hempstead is actually not in the Village of Hempstead; the whole Hempstead project is Village of Hempstead driven.

A few years ago the West 130 development opened up right next to the West Hempstead train station, and it is pretty nice.

West 130 West Hempstead

However, West Hempstead "dowtown" is relatively unattractive without much going for it. I don't have faith that the Town of Hempstead will really master plan anything; their idea of downtown renewal is simply replacing sidewalks and new streetlights (without burying any utilities, so it still looks crappy after its done).
Old March 27th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #114
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
West Hempstead is actually not in the Village of Hempstead; the whole Hempstead project is Village of Hempstead driven.

A few years ago the West 130 development opened up right next to the West Hempstead train station, and it is pretty nice.

West 130 West Hempstead

However, West Hempstead "dowtown" is relatively unattractive without much going for it. I don't have faith that the Town of Hempstead will really master plan anything; their idea of downtown renewal is simply replacing sidewalks and new streetlights (without burying any utilities, so it still looks crappy after its done).
Nice , will the development wrap around the station?
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #115
Urbanica

Quote:
Nice , will the development wrap around the station?
This one actually directly borders the train station, so yes; it is actually pretty cool. I think it was finished about 3ish years ago or so.
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #116
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
This one actually directly borders the train station, so yes; it is actually pretty cool. I think it was finished about 3ish years ago or so.
Any other TOD proposals along the West Hempstead Branch?
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #117
Nexis
Dark Wolf

http://www.thefoggiestidea.org/2015/...-for-planning/

firoz bharmal liked this post
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #118
Urbanica

If all this gets built that would be completely spectacular.

Quote:
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #119
Urbanica

Wyandanch Rising - Update/Visit

So I finally had some time and drove past the Wyandanch Rising Project over the weekend. Some observations:

1. The first phase of the development is very significant and looks really good. The first building is almost complete, and across the plaza the second building is probably at 60%. Looking very good. It will be great when the park area is completed between the buildings and retail fills in at the ground level.

2. A significant amount of lots on the same northern side of the tracks have been cleared for future phases.

3. And now the bad: The main drag of Wyandanch is even more downtrodden than I remember many many years ago. It lacks substance, most buildings are in disrepair, the physical built environment is terrible; it just looks sloppy and thrown together. I had thought that the Town of Babylon would have fully reconstructed the street years ago when they put down the sewer line that kicked off this project, but they didnt. The street is starting to be rebuilt south of the tracks, but they went on the cheap and are not burying the power lines, so it will still look ragged after its done. I hope somewhere down the line the Town tries to make this look more attractive.

If anything, the current state of "downtown" Wyandanch really underscores the need for this project there, and how amazing that this project is even taking place in Wyandanch. I would love to see what the area looks like 10 years from now. Wyandanch itself has many relatively nice areas, some not so nice, and I cant wait for this project to go towards completion and hopefully pull the whole area upward.

Quote:
As mentioned, the Wyandanch Rising project has broken ground. Its a major coup for a hugely distressed community here on LI. From:

http://bettercities.net/article/majo...g-island-20346

Major transit-oriented project begins in suburban Long Island
An overhaul has begun for one of the most distressed neighborhoods in the New York City inner-ring suburbs.

Better! Cities & Towns
The Albanese Organization of Garden City, New York, is breaking ground on the first phase of a $500 million redevelopment in Wyandanch, a community of about 10,000 in the Town of Babylon, Long Island.

The regulating plan and code by Torti Gallas and Partners recently won the annual Driehaus Award from the Form-Based Coding Institute (FBCI) in Chicago.

The project breaks new ground for transit-oriented development in the suburbs of densely populated Long Island, which make up most of the 1,400 square mile land area. The community is an inner-ring suburb that has been in decline for many decades.

The area has an unusual combination of urban blight, automobile-oriented commercial buildings and thoroughfares, a commuter rail station, and an old, human-scale street grid.

“The Code is intended to transform the existing 142-acre suburban corridor and transit station area characterized by odd-shaped parcels, brownfields sites, surface parking, blighted buildings and lack of open space into a cohesive, pedestrian-friendly downtown,” notes the FBCI.

The revitalization effort, called Wyandanch Rising, is designed as the kind of dynamic mixed-use environment that is rare on suburban Long Island, all focused on the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) station.

image hosted on flickr
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #120
Urbanica

Copaigue - Downtown

In my opinion, Copaigue gets a little bit of a bad rap. The southern area is waterfront and has some absurdly expensive homes. Some streets north of Sunrise aren't so attractive. The downtown is not terrible, but doesnt have much. Now, the Town of Babylon is envisioning densifying downtown. Great news:

http://www.newsday.com/business/baby...ace-1.10262585

Babylon planners envision a new downtown Copiague of apartments and retail space
Updated April 14, 2015 3:33 PM

A plan to turn downtown Copiague into a commercial and residential hub received unanimous approval last week from the Babylon Town Board.
The rezoning of 31 acres around Great Neck Road and the Copiague Long Island Rail Road station passed by a 3-0 vote last Tuesday, with two board members absent. New town rules intended to promote denser mixed-use development of the area are expected to usher in $144 million of construction over the next decade, under one scenario envisioned by town planners.

Under that "maximum build out" scenario, there would be 420 residential units and 245,064 square feet of retail space, with parks expanded and industrial space reduced by 96,000 square feet.

"There is a lot of pent-up demand for downtown development," said Jonathan Keyes, director of the town's Office of Downtown Revitalization. "The zoning creates the basic conditions that private investors will be looking for."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lirr, long island, new york, ronkonkoma