Mander Shopping Centre | Wolverhampton | 94,000 sq ft department store | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #61
wolvstaff

Likes (Received): 146

Hoping so, H&M is strongly needed in Wolverhampton. As you say, Topman/Shop are just too small.

Discount UK isn't actually that bad a store, its just not using the space effectively and could work better somewhere else...

One big change i'd like to see is for the centre to be open later than 5 - 5.30. Give the workers a chance to shop after work!
wolvstaff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:22 PM   #62
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5817

The Barbara Hepworth rock form is returning at least temporarily. They need to make sure the location they want to move it to is structurally sound enough to do so to make sure it can support it's weight (so it won't be returning to the central open space).

Jeff Bains is closing down, but it's not a brilliant shop anyway.

Shoe Zone open again after a refit.

Something big is opening in the former Jane Norman, next to JD Sports, but no idea what.

Holland & Barratt and Brighthouse still in Central Arcade.

Echo Island closing down.

Supercigs is going to be a Eurochange bureau de change.

National Lottery kiosk has closed.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #63
wolvstaff

Footasylum have taken over the old Jane Norman Store. Looks nice from the outside, cant see in as the windows are covered in Coming soon signs.

DBadger liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #64
DBadger
culled

Great to see. Should be good - and an entirely new store to Wolverhampton. Not my thing but my sister shops there a lot.

This whole section is looking very healthy now. Clarks, Foot Asylum, JD Sports and Deichmann, opposite Starbucks, EE, WH Smith and Roman Originals.

I'd like to see OFFICE in the small unit next to Deichmann, continuing the footwear theme. Then there's one more empty unit, next to Hypnotic.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:58 PM   #65
wolvstaff

Found this article on the new Footasylum and a little bit of info on the overall redevelopment.

Quote:
Fashion retailer Footasylum is opening a new 3,675 sq ft store in the Mander Centre, creating around 25 new jobs.

The store is part of owner Benson Elliot’s major plans to enhance the centre’s retail offer ahead of its £25m refurbishment later this year.
Also confirming work will start early next year on the redevelopment of the mander centre.

Quote:
Construction work will commence in early 2016 and will be completed by the autumn of 2017. The redevelopment will be anchored by a 90,000 sq ft Debenhams store, which will trade over three floors.
Full Article: http://www.bqlive.co.uk/2015/05/27/m...up-footasylum/

DBadger liked this post
Old June 21st, 2015, 06:26 PM   #66
DBadger
culled

Next sign of retailers leaving Central Arcade to allow it to close: Brighthouse are moving into the former HOME unit in the Wulfrun Centre (wasn't this supposed to be part of the food court?)

Predictable, but sad for the Wulfrun Centre.

That just leaves Superdrug (moving? to Interchange 10) and Holland & Barratt, plus the basement of WH Smith (might be left?).

Jeff Bains has reopened across from itself.

Finally Echo Island had its final day yesterday.

One final one, Moda Italia has reopened, in the shop next to New Look. While it's not a great retailer (one of those "everything £5" "outlet stores"), it's the first time this unit has been filled in about a decade? I think.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:30 PM   #67
DBadger
culled

Greggs fitted out already, looks ready to open tomorrow! Got three tables and chairs inside (which is an improvement on 0). Completely new shop front.

Echo Island have take their signs and fittings with them, so I presume they are opening in the Wulfrun Centre; the former Faze/Magenta/Opus unit was being refurbished today and with a new sign so I think it's them.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:00 PM   #68
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7609

I do wonder if Gregg's will start going down the route of bigger units for more seating and even drive thrus,

The greggs moments conception seems to have failed, but was more aimed at rivalling coffee chains

They've opened a fair few in industrial estate type set ups that have proved popular

With Costa drive thrus becoming their new focus I can see greggs going down that route too

Sorry for going off topic
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:04 PM   #69
DBadger
culled

well so far three in Wolverhampton have been replaced with bigger ones with seating (Dudley Street, Wulfrun Centre (2 into 1) and Mander Centre).

They'll keep a few smaller ones around (like Market Street) because they do a roaring trade in the early mornings at weekends. Probably can't have seating in those (Subway have to remove theirs at night).

Britain's busiest Greggs is in New Cross Hospital, that's got a load of seating. More like a canteen though than a posh coffee shop.

Old July 18th, 2015, 01:03 AM   #70
DBadger
culled

So, some updates.

Brighthouse is moving into the Wulfrun Centre on 20th July. While I dislike the shop, they have done a very, very good job of it - it looks amazing.

CEX similarly are moving into the Wulfrun Centre, no date yet.

Still no sign of Holland and Barratt moving but I presume they'll have to go soon, Brighthouse are the only other retailer in the Central Arcade and they go on 20th July!

Shoe Zone have reopened following a refit, although I don't think that means anything as they always do it so they can pull the old "CLOSING DOWN FOR REFIT" stunt.

Oh and Greggs opened since I posted last. Looks nice. Old one boarded up.

A colleague who used to work with people in Tesco said they are completely unsure of when they will be closing, that they think it is "soon", that it has to be done before first quarter 2016, but will probably be well before then. They also said they are losing their job as Tesco have no intention to open a replacement store. Take that as hearsay though. The store seem to now be running on very dim lighting if that means anything.

Echo Island didn't reopen in the Wulfrun like I thought, but there is still a unit "under offer" that would fit them.

The old supercigs is currently being fitted out as Eurochange.

And, might be relevant here or might not, Costa Coffee are opening a new outlet somewhere in Wolverhampton. While they already have a unit in the centre it is on the edge, on Victoria Street, thus they may well take the middle mall spot where Spud u Like is now, shown in the renders as a coffee shop. Or they might go somewhere completely different.

The bottom floor of WH Smith is desperately empty but I thought this before. You could park a tank in there.

Old July 18th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #71
Ahmed Al Bolandi

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
So, some updates.

Brighthouse is moving into the Wulfrun Centre on 20th July. While I dislike the shop, they have done a very, very good job of it - it looks amazing.

CEX similarly are moving into the Wulfrun Centre, no date yet.

Still no sign of Holland and Barratt moving but I presume they'll have to go soon, Brighthouse are the only other retailer in the Central Arcade and they go on 20th July!

Shoe Zone have reopened following a refit, although I don't think that means anything as they always do it so they can pull the old "CLOSING DOWN FOR REFIT" stunt.

Oh and Greggs opened since I posted last. Looks nice. Old one boarded up.

A colleague who used to work with people in Tesco said they are completely unsure of when they will be closing, that they think it is "soon", that it has to be done before first quarter 2016, but will probably be well before then. They also said they are losing their job as Tesco have no intention to open a replacement store. Take that as hearsay though. The store seem to now be running on very dim lighting if that means anything.

Echo Island didn't reopen in the Wulfrun like I thought, but there is still a unit "under offer" that would fit them.

The old supercigs is currently being fitted out as Eurochange.

And, might be relevant here or might not, Costa Coffee are opening a new outlet somewhere in Wolverhampton. While they already have a unit in the centre it is on the edge, on Victoria Street, thus they may well take the middle mall spot where Spud u Like is now, shown in the renders as a coffee shop. Or they might go somewhere completely different.

The bottom floor of WH Smith is desperately empty but I thought this before. You could park a tank in there.
They are not planing to open new Tesco store in Wolverhampton in old hospital by metro station royal?
Ahmed Al Bolandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #72
DBadger
culled

Nope, they axed it.

City of Wolverhampton College might be taking it on.

Old August 21st, 2015, 12:22 PM   #73
DBadger
culled

A couple more moves, but important ones.

Temptation is closing down, while Card Market is relocating into unit 41 next to Poundworld. This means that in order for Debenhams to be built, the only units left to go are Tesco, PDSA, and The Healing Place.

Carbon is closing down.

A few temporary cheap shops have opened. Rebel in the recently closed Echo Island (an "everything £5" clone), and a beauty shop opposite Bodycare in the former Adam's. Eurochange is hoarded off.

I think they've started knocking the four units together on Victoria Street, too.

Finally the Express and Star reports that Rockform (the Barbara Hepworth sculpture) will go on display in the Art Gallery until the redevelopment is finished.

Last edited by DBadger; August 21st, 2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old August 24th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #74
DBadger
culled

Tesco lease expires in February 2016 and will close (to make way for Debenhams).

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...stores-future/

Old August 25th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #75
Googled

Likes (Received): 0

Does anybody know what is happening with the small newsagents (Mander News) opposite JD Sports and Foot Asylum? It's currently up for sale (leasehold) and I'm thinking of taking it on but I dont know whether it will be affected by these new plans for the centre. Any advice would be really helpful.
Googled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #76
DBadger
culled

It still exists in the plans I've seen, although they do have requirements now regarding the type of retailer that can move in long term - no discount brands etc.

Old September 25th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #77
DBadger
culled

Temptation has moved into the Wulfrun Centre (former County Bookstores / Greengrocers)

PDSA have moved into the unit next to the new Card Tree, where Regis used to be. Much more modern store.

Old October 16th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #78
DBadger
culled

Proper development has begun!

Should this be moved to the construction board?

Actual structural work has now begun. Areas of the roof are scaffolded off, and restucturing it has started, with concrete parts being stripped down ready to rebuild the roof.

Also some other changes:

3 Store has moved into the unit the other side of HMV in the new fitting. This means both 3 and Greggs have moved - both units needed for the new customer lift lobby.

Temptation has now opened in the Wulfrun Centre - looks alright.

Carbon has moved into the unit next to BeaGos, where Poison Clothing used to be briefly. Also looks alright to be fair.

Old November 11th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #79
wolvstaff

Nice to see things seem to be starting in the Mander Centre. Closed shops are being boarded up, and it looks like they are starting to section off the THHughes from the rest of the Mander Centre (with big hoardings) in anticipation for the demolition and rebuild.

DBadger liked this post
Old November 11th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #80
DBadger
culled

Thomson has closed in the Wulfrun centre and a few more units have "new retailer coming soon" - not sure if anything will move from the Mander into them. Not sure if Thomson has moved elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see this all go up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement