Mander Shopping Centre | Wolverhampton | 94,000 sq ft department store | U/C - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #81
daumal

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
I do wonder if Gregg's will start going down the route of bigger units for more seating and even drive thrus,

The greggs moments conception seems to have failed, but was more aimed at rivalling coffee chains

They've opened a fair few in industrial estate type set ups that have proved popular

With Costa drive thrus becoming their new focus I can see greggs going down that route too

Sorry for going off topic
Drive-throughs are a possibility, but I'd be very surprised to see Greggs open any large-scale sit-down places. Their business model is reliant on their products not being liable for VAT (remember the Pasty Tax?). As I understand it, they get away with this as long as 1) they don't keep the pasties in a heated storage unit, and 2) people don't eat in. For a chain aimed at the budget-conscious, an extra 20% on everything could really harm them.

Edit: Oops! Not only was that off topic, but I've just realised it was also replying to an original message from June!
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #82
baz2015

Likes (Received): 643

Instead of a greggs which by the I like too, why not a nice local bakery im sure theres room for one, and baked inhouse, we had one where we used to live called the oven door, home made bread and roles it was fabulous and there was always a queue right outside too, lovely , but it gone now !
baz2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #83
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5817

The Healing Place has moved into the old Jessica's sweet shop in the Wulfrun Centre. That leaves just Tesco to move for Debenhams. (Has it closed yet?)

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #84
wolvstaff

Likes (Received): 146

Tesco is still currently open... I thought the butchers might have moved too, but that's still currently there.

hoarding have been put in place from Superdrug right over to the butchers, meaning you can no longer see or walk though to Victoria Street / Bell Street.
wolvstaff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:51 PM   #85
DBadger
culled

While google-imaging the phrase "wolverhampton regeneration"... I've come across a tiny jpeg that I'm sure was never meant to end up on Google Images. In fact on clicking it, it seems it's been removed from wherever it was. But it's interesting...

It shows, on the basement floor:

- River Island in the Superdrug unit
- H&M and Pure Gym in the Woolworths unit - Pure Gym accessed by the Dudley Street staircase
- Bank in the Mothercare unit
- Next in the Carbon and Evans units
- JD Sports next to it
- USC next to that
- Topshop in the new central arcade unit
- Debenhams
- A basement floor for HMV
- An expanded CEX

There are other units filled but I cannot read it as it is a VERY small jpeg. One might be Frankie & Benny's?

Nonetheless, it's not what's going to happen, owing to many of those retailers facing difficulties: HMV, USC, Bank... and JD Sports have already opened a new store.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:32 PM   #86
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Nonetheless, it's not what's going to happen, owing to many of those retailers facing difficulties: HMV, USC, Bank... and JD Sports have already opened a new store.
I thought HMV were doing well now, and were set to overtake Amazon as the biggest seller of music and DVDs/blu-rays.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #87
DBadger
culled

Much of the Mander Centre is behind white hoardings now, but somehow Holland and Barratt still clings on with no sign of closing. They're the only thing keeping the Central Arcade open!

Tesco still there inbetween hoardings. TJ Hughes, Carbon, Evans, Our Price, Three, Greggs, Eisenegger, Jessops, Discount UK - all boarded up.

Which reminds me, Discount UK has now closed.

Ditsch is now called something like "Really Quick Pizza", can't remember.

Greggs on Victoria Street is being fitted out as Bad Apple hair salon, apparently they are award winning.

Old November 25th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #88
wolvstaff

They were also showing all the plans again in the small unit next to New Look today. This seems like it has been a long time coming, so it's great to see things gathering momentum.

I think Holland & Barratt should move into the old That's Entertainment unit in the Wulfrun. Currently being refurbished (upper level has been taken out by the looks of things) and great position...
Old November 25th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #89
DBadger
culled

I'm hoping they move somewhere with a full height glass front, as they do this kind of thing:

shoppinginleeds.co.uk

Which IMO looks much better than:

192.com

Old December 1st, 2015, 12:48 PM   #90
wolvstaff

Notices up in Holland & Barrett to say they are temporarily moving into the unit next to Hypnotise... Not sure which one this is.

This just leaves Superdrug and ground floor of WHSmith, which i presume will have to move elsewhere?

DBadger liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:50 AM   #91
DBadger
culled

It's the one next to wh Smith on the upper floor, has been vacant or cheap tat for a long long time.

Wh Smith is staying, just will have that entrance blocked up and will become a basement floor.

In theory superdrug can stay for a bit as that unit is separate to the central arcade unit (will be merged with jd sports and get a new frontsge). They'll open in interchange 10 soon anyway though.

So just Tesco left, really.

Last edited by DBadger; December 2nd, 2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:48 PM   #92
wolvstaff

I was under the impression that they were creating three large units, one of which would swallow up the entire ground floor of WHSmiths. However it will be interesting to see what they do end up doing.

There is a timescale on the posters in the pop up shop showing the plans.

Think they are hoping to get all units other than Debenhams ready by the end of 2016, and Debenhams opening Autumn of 2017. Will have to check again thought to verify.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:10 AM   #93
DBadger
culled

on the plans, the unit takes up the mall, half price jewellers, our price, Holland and Barrett, eisenegger, jessops, and brighthouse, but leaves the basement of wh Smith intact. The other unit takes up supwrdrug and jd sports, while the third is just woolworths.

I may be wrong however. That was from the planning application, I haven't seen the pop-up shop.

Old December 19th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #94
DBadger
culled

Holland and Barrett have moved next to Roman, and WH Smith are closing for good in early January. H&B will move again 30th March which suggests a timeframe for, er, something.

Old December 21st, 2015, 03:39 PM   #95
wolvstaff

WHsmith are closing?? That's a bit of a surprise. I know the basement level was quiet, but they could easily move into a smaller unit somewhere all on one level and still do well?
Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:30 AM   #96
DBadger
culled

Yeah I don't know why they decided to go now. Maybe they'll move into i10 or something.

Old December 27th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #97
DBadger
culled

WHSmiths looking for a new site in the city:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...new-shop-site/

(I don't hold much hope; they think it's a town)

My ideas:

1. Their former store in the Wulfrun Centre: the Entertainer. Small, but two floors.
2. Millets combined with the two card shops in the Wulfrun Centre. Again small but two floors.
3. E. Marsh on Princess Street (the new pedestrian bit)
4. Maplin on Dudley Street, assuming they're moving to the retail park not dual siting
5. Sublet in Beatties; they have the space
6. Any of the various betting shops around the city: Ladbrokes on Dudley Street, Betfred or Paddy Power on Princess Street
7. The former Post Office on Lichfield Street, or a part of the Grand Posthouse

Old January 2nd, 2016, 06:45 PM   #98
DBadger
culled

Good news everybody!

The largest unit, former Woolworths, has been snapped up, and appears on maps as "reserved for a major fashion retailer".

Bad news, there are closing down signs all around the city centre.

Blue Inc, Eclipse, WH Smiths and Rebel are all closing in the Mander Centre.

Elsewhere in the city, Pound Avenue, Maplin, and the retailer trading under the Bank name which is nothing to do with Bank, are closing down.

Retro and Waist Down are closed but it might just be for refits.

But still, it's good news for the Mander Centre that the largest unit has been snapped up.

Blue Inc, Eclipse and WH Smiths are now marketed as "new" retail units.

The kiosk planned to be built in Woolpack Alley has now disappeared from the map but this may just be an error (hopefully).

Eclipse are a cheap clothes store but have been in the city for many years (at least as long as Stationery Box has been closed). I can see them moving into the Wulfrun Centre. I'd hope Blue Inc move in there too.

Maplin are moving to St John's retail park. As much as I hate to say it, this is a much better location for them - easier access, and a much larger store.

WH Smith should take the Maplin unit on Dudley Street.

FSP Property

Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:32 AM   #99
wolvstaff

Great News! What maps are these? lol Hoping for H&M! And also hoping WHSmith make some sort of return within the Mander Centre.

As for the others. I will personally be glad to see them go, the Mander Centre cannot change with them in there.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:40 AM   #100
DBadger
culled

The maps are in the unit next to The Works. They also have a time frame. Escalators will close in January and be moved by April. The first new shops will open Autumn 2016. Debenhams finished 2017.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement