Toronto • City - Canada - Page 57 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Toronto - Canada
10 984 35.99%
9.5 326 11.92%
9 446 16.31%
8.5 232 8.49%
8 194 7.10%
7.5 88 3.22%
7 70 2.56%
6.5 21 0.77%
6 33 1.21%
5.5 17 0.62%
5 25 0.91%
4.5 16 0.59%
4 27 0.99%
3.5 55 2.01%
less than 3 200 7.32%
Voters: 2734. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #1121
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14444

Do you think this is taken from Minto at Eglinton? If so, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more photos like this in the future. It would be great to take this shot again, then in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, and again in 24 months from now. A series of all 5 next to each other would document the drastic changes taking place well. I'd do it myself, but would need access to this building. Anyone else around who lives in there?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #1122
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 901

Looks like it. The view is just about identical.

monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #1123
Canalero
PAN

Likes (Received): 1528

Nice pics.

9/10

::::: P A N A M Á :::::
Canalero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1124
isaidso
the new republic

It's cool how you can see the other side of Lake Ontario in that shot. Would that be New York State, Ontario, or a bit of both?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM   #1125
elliot

Likes (Received): 134

Every one knows that's Winona with a hint of Grimsby. Geez. To see the USA you need to pivot hard left.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM   #1126
isaidso
the new republic

Thanks, but I'd say less than 1% of Ontario's population would know that just by looking at a photo. Even if you look at a map, the point where the US meets Canada is directly across from downtown Toronto. Follow the international border line from Niagara out to the lake. It practically lines up with downtown, and is only slightly skewed from Yonge Street's 'north-south' direction. A slight 10 degree variation in the direction of view would line you up tens of kilometres down the shoreline in either direction on the other side of the lake. It's not the 'pivot hard left' scenario you seem to think it is.

I'd probably still Canada on that other side, but I'd say that photo is closer to Youngstown, New York than Grimsby, Ontario.

http://www.sailski.com/images/OntarioMap.jpg

Last edited by isaidso; December 22nd, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:20 AM   #1127
oceanmdx
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's not the 'pivot hard left' scenario you seem to think it is.....

I'd probably still Canada on that other side, but I'd say that photo is closer to Youngstown, New York than Grimsby, Ontario.
Elliot is right, the photo shows the urban area on the south shore of L. Ont. in Canada (the extreme left would be St. Catharines).... you'd have to make a pivot hard left before you would see city lights in NY state. Youngstown is so small it wouldn't show much anyway... you have to go much further east to see any sizable US community... ergo, the location of the border is irrelevant to the point... it's the geography and development around the lake and Toronto's street orientaton that matters, not the political line.

Last edited by oceanmdx; December 23rd, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
oceanmdx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #1128
elliot

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Thanks, but I'd say less than 1% of Ontario's population would know that just by looking at a photo
^highly unlikely given the few million who live in the horeshoe... many of whom (like me) grew up somewhere between Niagara and Hamilton and have made the trek around the lake to T.O. a thousand times.

I suspect wine-lovers, theatre-goers and the ubiquitous "Niagara Falls tour guides" (squiring visiting relatives from Toronto to the Falls)... have also figured out what's around the bend and across the lake.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #1129
isaidso
the new republic

I suppose I don't have as much confidence in the level of awareness, intelligence, and education of the general population as you do. Even university educated people tend not to know much beyond their field of study. 125,000 people would represent 1% of Ontario. Maybe I'm being too harsh. How about 2%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanmdx View Post
Elliot is right, the photo shows the urban area on the south shore of L. Ont. in Canada (the extreme left would be St. Catharines).... you'd have to make a pivot hard left before you would see city lights in NY state. Youngstown is so small it wouldn't show much anyway... you have to go much further east to see any sizable US community... ergo, the location of the border is irrelevant to the point... it's the geography and development around the lake and Toronto's street orientaton that matters, not the political line.
I see. I guessed it was near St. Catharine's, but assumed the US wouldn't have been as far over in that line of sight than you guys are saying it is. You're right about Youngstown being too small to see. I was using the political line as a good vector to estimate a line of sight from downtown Toronto. If there was a big city where that political line emanates from, surely we would see it from downtown Toronto.

Geometry would indicate that we could or is Yonge Street in that map not oriented properly? If you extend the line Yonge Street makes across the lake, you get a point slightly west of St. Catharines. The border is only about a 15 degree variance from that vector. What am I missing, because I don't consider 15 degrees a hard pivot to the left?

Last edited by isaidso; December 24th, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #1130
oceanmdx
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.

Likes (Received): 84

You basically said it.... "if there was a big city... " ... the point is there isn't. Good luck trying to find Youngstown from Toronto with the naked eye... Youngstown makes St. Catharines look like NY city.
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #1131
isaidso
the new republic

Ah! The light bulb just went off; visibility rather than alignment. Thanks.

Old December 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #1132
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 103

Why is it that Toronto seems to be always trying to prove how big it is?

How many skyline polls does Toronto have? I understand and appreciate that the city has multiple skylines, but other cities do as well (Tokyo, Osaka, Vancouver, Los Angeles, Houston, Oklahoma City, shall I keep going....) but for those cities there's only ONE skyline poll - and it is for the cbd (or people post pics of the other skylines but in one poll)....

I just don't get why TO seems to have this complex to "try" to be better than Chicago and "like" New York... You're a great city - the biggest in Canada with a great overall skyline, isn't that good enough? .... ....

Or do we need ten more Toronto polls?

I rated TO a 9.0 by the way, there are only two perfect tens in my book in North America (and NYC aint one of them by the way and one resides in Canada). Can you guess?
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1133
Quall

Likes (Received): 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post

How many skyline polls does Toronto have? I understand and appreciate that the city has multiple skylines, but other cities do as well (Tokyo, Osaka, Vancouver, Los Angeles, Houston, Oklahoma City, shall I keep going....) but for those cities there's only ONE skyline poll - and it is for the cbd (or people post pics of the other skylines but in one poll)....

I just don't get why TO seems to have this complex to "try" to be better than Chicago and "like" New York... You're a great city - the biggest in Canada with a great overall skyline, isn't that good enough? .... ....

Concur.

But Toronto isn't the only one. Sydney has separate polls for North Sydney and Chatswood. Vancouver has separate polls for North Vancouver and Surrey. So on. Difference is, the "second skylines" are either distant or distinctly separate.

Quote:
I rated TO a 9.0 by the way, there are only two perfect tens in my book in North America (and NYC aint one of them by the way and one resides in Canada). Can you guess?
I'll say Vancouver and Seattle (me too!)
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #1134
Quall

Likes (Received): 516

Double post. Might as well use it. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyronin View Post
This pic is wicked.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #1135
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:

Good point... could some one email 'Toronto' and tell her to stop posting so many threads?
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1136
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:

Toronto does not get a lot of press or attention compared to New York or Chicago thus people generally know more about them. Toronto based members here post material for those who are interested in learning about the place.

As for secondary skylines, Toronto's are not as well known as well and I have a funny story about it. Some years ago I was on Yonge near Sheppard when a flustered Texan approached me and asked how long a walk it was to the CN tower. I told him it was downtown and pointed south, he looked at me and said that we were downtown. Apparently he saw NYCC from the 401 and decided it was our downtown core. I gave him directions and that was that.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:18 AM   #1137
thaproducer
Esta es mi ciudad...

Likes (Received): 958

omg! i love torontoooo!
thaproducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:55 AM   #1138
Spoolmak

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
Good point... could some one email 'Toronto' and tell her to stop posting so many threads?
I noticed that too... Toronto has a mind of its own.
If cities could speak they would say, 'I'm bigger than you are!'
Spoolmak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:44 AM   #1139
isaidso
the new republic

There are always going to be people in every city that do that. It's irritating, but also to be expected in a city 'coming of age'. Torontonians really don't know what to make of their city sometimes. There's a lot of misconceptions about any place that grows quickly from both outsiders and locals. Growing pains? You should cut them some slack. It's a normal reaction for a population struggling to keep pace with a dizzying pace of change.

Quote:

It's a bit of overkill, I agree. Some of this can be explained by the fact that these were actually separate jurisdictions until they amalgamated into one about a decade ago. Many Torontonians still think of North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, and Toronto as distinct cities that are now part of metro Toronto even though it's really just all Toronto today. Mississauga still is a separate city and about 20 kilometres away. Separate or combined? What about Kyoto-Kobe-Osaka? Does that warrant one thread or three? If one opts for three, is that gloating or just sensible?

The separate threads are bound to be criticized as gloating, but from an analytical point of view, it's preferable. I'd prefer separate threads for the different clusters in other metros as well. Manila-Makati/Manila-CBD, London-Canary Wharf/London-The City/London-Vauxhall, New York-Midtown/New York-Downtown/New York-Newark, Osaka-CBD/Osaka-Kobe/Osaka-Kyoto, etc. Some cities simply don't have their towers centralized in one place the way Chicago does.

If a metro warrants having separate skyline threads, they should exist. Gloating or need? There are separate threads partly because they are warranted, and partly due to outdated views that Torontonians have about their own city. Which ever way one looks at it, gloating isn't an accurate assessment.

Last edited by isaidso; December 31st, 2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:06 AM   #1140
Canuck514

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
I noticed that too... Toronto has a mind of its own.
If cities could speak they would say, 'I'm bigger than you are!'
dude you're so wrong. maybe you should spend some time there instead of listening to what people say in Kamloops, most of whom have never been to Toronto. The city is great and so are its people. this prevailing attitude toward Toronto in this country is so sad and unfounded. We should be celebrating our cities rather than trying to bring them down... show some unity bro
Canuck514 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
drone photos of toronto, drone pictures of toronto, photos of toronto, toronto, toronto city, toronto pictures