HUDSON VALLEY | General Developments Updates/Compilation - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT

NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT Westchester and Rockland counties | Nassau and Suffolk counties | Fairfield County

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Urbanica

Likes (Received): 93

HUDSON VALLEY | General Developments Updates/Compilation

I would like to initiate a thread for these areas as it is clearly not quite "upstate". Westchester County in particular, nearing 1 million people, is in my opinion a beautiful example of the development of edge cities and village centers. Because of the hilly geography which somewhat dictated where transit corridors would eventually be built, the urban centers are more concentrated and development and density has followed suit. Westchester's urban centers continue a urban/smart growth revivial. The four main cities (Yonkers ~200K, White Plains ~60K, New Rochelle ~80K, Mt. Vernon ~70K) are brimming with development, some with very high densities. Smaller city and village centers (Mamaroneck, Port Chester, Larchmont, Tuckahoe, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, etc...) all have some very nice transit oriented development, and some of these places are spotless. White Plains in particular has gone from a smallish city to a city with a somewhat imposing skyline for a city its size in only 10 years, and is leading the county forward in my opinion. Yonkers is no longer the butt of jokes as it was. New Rochelle has just chosen a development team for an imposing and significant remake of downtown. A lot is happening.

As a Long Islander, I am somewhat jealous of how much nicer things come together up there than they do here...
Urbanica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Urbanica

Yonkers - Downtown - "The Exalta"

To kick this thread off the right way, The Exalta is a 400 unit luxury tower ($168MM high rise), planned for downtown Yonkers, a city that had languished for decades. This development shows how far it has come and caps an effort in a section of downtown that saw the daylighting of the Saw Mill River through downtown. The Exalta will be in the rear right of the daylighting pic below.

Exalta

Saw Mill River Daylighting

TimothyR liked this post
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18450

Some more Daylighted Photos

Daylighting the Saw Mill River in Yonkers
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Visit the New Jersey Section

geometarkv liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Downtown Yonkers , like Newark , New Rochelle , and Elizabeth has all the Infrastructure in place to create a thriving Downtown it just needs investment. All these cities suffer from what I call secondary developments , even though they are close to Manhattan they seem to struggle getting large scale projects. While Manhattan , Jersey City and Brooklyn seem to have no problem getting developers even in the bad areas. The tide is slowly changing , but all 4 of these cities need a few Downtown large scale revitalization. The one above is a start , but Yonkers needs a more projects to flip its Downtown. Luckily the Riverfront has been revitalized and has done well... The Train Station needs a Platform widening , it is way to narrow for a Major Hub Stop...

charmedone liked this post
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Rest of Westchester

New Rochelle's Downtown is a mess , mostly filled with low income shops and eateries. The Downtown Reinvestment that was built is semi suburban like and not Urban in nature. The High Rises look out of place , in my opinion they should have never been built. Nothing taller then 6 stories should have been allowed. New Rochelle needs increase its Density along the Route 1 corridor from Woodside to Downtown and Streetscape all Downtown Streets.

Mount Vernon for the most part has been neglected which is sad with its short commute to Grand Central , White Plains and Stamford its should be a prime city. There are some Proposals for TOD and Infill near the Mount Vernon West Station and within Downtown Fleetwood which in the North end of the city. Fleetwood also has some Proposals near the station and since the area is in a safe part of the city I think they will do well and spread southward towards Downtown.

White Plains is abit of a mess , they had a great plan a few years when the dream of the I-287 Rail Project was reachable. It would have changed zoning rules and allowed for ultra dense car free redevelopments within the City core and higher density along Route 119. When the I-287 Rail Project was placed on hold those dreams died or shrunk. The Downtown has seen a lot of redevelopment along Mamaroneck Ave which has been transformed from a dull boring strip into a thriving place to eat , drink and shop. Main Street has also seen a similar transforming along the Eastern Section the Western section is still anti-Urban. The Galleria at White Plains kills a large chunk of Downtown , it should be torn down and redeveloped as Mixed use. Route 100 is supposed be getting Bus Rapid Transit and higher density TOD and Infill has been Proposed along the corridor. It would run from White Plains to Yonkers.
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Urbanica

New Rochelle

Nexis - Did you see recently that New Rochelle selected a team (RXR and Renaissance Downtowns) as the master developers for the downtown TOD and development district? Its pretty massive in scale and I feel if done right, will correct some of the issues with downtown New Rochelle and bring it all together. I dont think New Rochelle is that great, but it isnt that bad either. I completely agree with the need to improve streetcapes, but I have no issue with the building heights, other than the fact that the first Avalon tower is pretty ugly (I dont really have any major issues with the second Avalon Tower and the Trump Tower). Need to watch this one over the next few years; a skyline may be created with this one, and it really looks like they are concentrating at the street level, unlike New Roc city which is relatively absurd. The winning proposal can be found here:

http://www.newrochelleny.com/index.aspx?NID=1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Rest of Westchester

New Rochelle's Downtown is a mess , mostly filled with low income shops and eateries. The Downtown Reinvestment that was built is semi suburban like and not Urban in nature. The High Rises look out of place , in my opinion they should have never been built. Nothing taller then 6 stories should have been allowed. New Rochelle needs increase its Density along the Route 1 corridor from Woodside to Downtown and Streetscape all Downtown Streets.

Mount Vernon for the most part has been neglected which is sad with its short commute to Grand Central , White Plains and Stamford its should be a prime city. There are some Proposals for TOD and Infill near the Mount Vernon West Station and within Downtown Fleetwood which in the North end of the city. Fleetwood also has some Proposals near the station and since the area is in a safe part of the city I think they will do well and spread southward towards Downtown.

White Plains is abit of a mess , they had a great plan a few years when the dream of the I-287 Rail Project was reachable. It would have changed zoning rules and allowed for ultra dense car free redevelopments within the City core and higher density along Route 119. When the I-287 Rail Project was placed on hold those dreams died or shrunk. The Downtown has seen a lot of redevelopment along Mamaroneck Ave which has been transformed from a dull boring strip into a thriving place to eat , drink and shop. Main Street has also seen a similar transforming along the Eastern Section the Western section is still anti-Urban. The Galleria at White Plains kills a large chunk of Downtown , it should be torn down and redeveloped as Mixed use. Route 100 is supposed be getting Bus Rapid Transit and higher density TOD and Infill has been Proposed along the corridor. It would run from White Plains to Yonkers.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I like the Plan although its not big enough and it needs more street upgrades. I also don't like the whole covering or altering the historic train station.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:44 PM   #8
Middle-Island

Quote:
Rest of Westchester

Trump's condo tower looks out of place, but jeez, 6 stories?? It was hoped that by putting luxury high-rises in downtown along 95 that it would spur some higher end retail and a sense of urban street life. These high rises came before the financial crash, so I assume that it's a slow go.

White Plains's DT underwent heavy commercial -- high-rise (~18-22 story) office development in the '70s. In contrast, New Rochelle kept most of its older housing stock, and is about 20 years behind WP in that regard. DT New Rochelle has narrow streets that inhibit massive population density, so maybe that's why they decided to go with a few 25-35 story towers as a statement to attract Manhattanites looking to live in a quieter urban outpost.
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Middle-Island

Big and little, new and old...New Rochelle.

For those who like uniformity -- I guess not in this case. Something cool and exciting about seeing a city like this abruptly transform, though.

Last edited by Middle-Island; November 9th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
Middle-Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #10
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 633

You took the words right out of mouth Nexis, most of Southern Westchester and some parts of middle Westchester are petfect for urban development, Though It has seemed to me like a true lack of vision and forceful leadership has brought this to fruition. As a result its have left towns and cities dependent on roads that are either too small, have too many curves, are over crowded or seem to have no sense at all.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #11
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
You took the words right out of mouth Nexis, most of Southern Westchester and some parts of middle Westchester are petfect for urban development, Though It has seemed to me like a true lack of vision and forceful leadership has brought this to fruition. As a result its have left towns and cities dependent on roads that are either too small, have too many curves, are over crowded or seem to have no sense at all.
I think a lot of it has to do with geography...Westchester is pretty hilly with narrow valleys, and I would imagine that most of the current macro-street layout evolved over time from what were country roads centuries ago; Westchester as about as old as you can get in the USA. The imprint of transportation corridors were forced by valleys and set many many years ago, as was the development of numerous smaller villages in the valleys, rather than dominant orderly cities. Look at Yonkers, there isnt a flat piece of land anywhere in the city, and downtown is jammed against the Hudson. White Plains has more of a somewhat cohesive street layout, and in my opinion, has developed pretty well (Mamaroneck Ave is great). I agree, the amount of development in places like Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, and New Rochelle is underwhelming as to what a satellite city to NYC should be. But, most of Westchester's villages and cities have embraced or are embracing smart growth in a big way; there isnt really anyplace to sprawl anymore. I think 10 years from now at least Yonkers and New Rochelle will be radically different, and White Plains will continue to clearly lead as a corporate and residential magnet. Mt. Vernon I am not so sure.
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Urbanica

White Plains - Westchester Pavilion Redevelopment

Speaking of White Plains, the owner of the Westchester Pavilion, an ill-conceived smaller mall downtown, has proposed to remake the mall into a mixed use development that exemplifies some of the good things happening in Westchester.

A request to rezone is with the City to allow buildings up to 280 feet.

Now:

Future (these are two I found; depending on the rezone we know which one will be closer to what is proposed):

Old November 17th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #13
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 633

ok I Am hopping on option #1 but honestly white plains needs to be densified.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #14
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I posted a neighborhood overview of Fleetwood in Mount Vernon... I also will post some recent White Plains Photos tommorrow

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...91&postcount=5
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #15
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanica View Post
Speaking of White Plains, the owner of the Westchester Pavilion, an ill-conceived smaller mall downtown, has proposed to remake the mall into a mixed use development that exemplifies some of the good things happening in Westchester.

A request to rezone is with the City to allow buildings up to 280 feet.

Now:

Future (these are two I found; depending on the rezone we know which one will be closer to what is proposed):

Due to the fact that the I-287 Rail Corridor has been put on Hold on... I would go with the second proposal. The high density should be pushed near the train stations...
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #16
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
Trump's condo tower looks out of place, but jeez, 6 stories?? It was hoped that by putting luxury high-rises in downtown along 95 that it would spur some higher end retail and a sense of urban street life. These high rises came before the financial crash, so I assume that it's a slow go.

White Plains's DT underwent heavy commercial -- high-rise (~18-22 story) office development in the '70s. In contrast, New Rochelle kept most of its older housing stock, and is about 20 years behind WP in that regard. DT New Rochelle has narrow streets that inhibit massive population density, so maybe that's why they decided to go with a few 25-35 story towers as a statement to attract Manhattanites looking to live in a quieter urban outpost.
When you travel down 95 or the NEC it looks strange and out of place.... It should have been kept small but dense and then down the road taller and larger buildings added in.
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #17
Urbanica

Quote:
When you travel down 95 or the NEC it looks strange and out of place.... It should have been kept small but dense and then down the road taller and larger buildings added in.
It looks like the master plan from the RXR/Renaissance Downtown proposal is trying to fill that gap with a couple of taller towers (comparable to the Trump Tower, 40 stories or so) and a reasonable amount of midrises and dense infill around a couple of downtown nodes, the skyline will hopefully develop some shoulders.

It has been pretty exciting to watch a skyline born the last few years, New Rochelle is now visible all over the place from Northern Long Island and the bidges going into the Bronx.
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #18
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Small Photography Overview of White Plains,NY

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...04&postcount=8

Old December 27th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #19
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Hudson Valley & Southwestern Connecticut Development News & Photos.

Since 2000 Stamford has seen a lot of Urban Reinvestment in its Downtown Core , along the Harbor front and along the New Canaan Branch... In Recent years Projects have gotten larger and even more dense. Nearby cities have also seen redevelopment around the various train stations and waterways.. Downtown Norwalk and South Norwalk have seen rapid Renewal of there historic streets and redevelopment of abandoned sites.

Greater Stamford Includes , Greenwich , Norwalk , Darien , and New Canaan

Quote:
Stamford

75 Tresser Boulevard

site at SW corner of Atlantic St and Tresser Blvd - future capelli Post Office redevelopment

184 Summer Street

Preliinary work on 19-story building at northeast corner of Washington Boulevard and West Park Place

750 Summer Street

http://www.city-data.com/forum/35252669-post137.html

Last edited by desertpunk; June 2nd, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old December 27th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #20
Nexis
Dark Wolf

28 Southfield Avenue - Davenport Landing

http://greatink.com/files/FOR%20IMME...%20Landing.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement