The Bank | Broad Street | Residential | 33/22fl | 102/68m | U/C - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #81
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

I do have to agree, the building look unbelievably awkward around each other.... that massing models looks horrific, but when you then look at the detailed elevations, the fenestration and materials go someway to redeem the buildings....

really on the fence with this one!
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #82
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I may have to eat my words there are signs that at least one of the buildings will go ahead.

I think the hotel should have frontage on to Broad St and a roof terrace on the 2nd floor, and the flats should follow the shape of the land at the back.
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #83
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4907

I'm actually very impressed by the detail and cladding. Think they are very well designed. The massing isn't great but to be honest, they're 10 x better than what Dandara are putting up down the road.

I'm happy with these. I also like how the hotel block is situated on an angle. It's quite intimidating and gives a large city feel. If anything happens over the road at BST and the wall of 70-90m midrises around PC and Arena Central it'll act as a very dense area.

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...rod_DC_PLANAPP
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #84
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I'm actually very impressed by the detail and cladding. Think they are very well designed. The massing isn't great but to be honest, they're 10 x better than what Dandara are putting up down the road.

I'm happy with these.

Ditto, I hope they don't reduce the height, these blocks will invigorate mid Broad Street and hopefully "raise the game" for future development over the road.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #85
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Just reading the aviation report.

I know some Chinese investors brought the Quayside Tower but why do they show a massing of a taller, fatter block in it's place?

Page 18 and 27

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...rod_DC_PLANAPP
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #86
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
BREAKING..

The application is in!

Looks like we have a hotel opporator on board already! Innside Hotel, they are currently building a new hotel in Manchester, so this is great news! https://twitter.com/innsidemanc
Part of Melia hotels which in the Med are top draw.
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #87
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2615

hmmmm, I'm not sure about this. The detailing is great but the positioning of the buildings on the site is not far off disgusting.

It would be loads better if the two buildings were on a podium which related the to Big Bite better. I'm also unsure as to the arrangement of the plots. Seems a little over developed to me in the way they have poorly resolved the public realm element and just plonked two oblong buildings on to the site in anyway that they could fit.

I also do not see the point of the walk way between the buildings which creates a linkage between Sheepcote Street and Oozells Street other than creating space for more units.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

LocalVernacular, Biosonic liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #88
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 816

Oh look, more low ambition.

pirlo_21 liked this post
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #89
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2108

I think we're going to end up with one like this and V as a replacement of Beorma, only in yellow and brown
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #90
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 895

Not impressed. Looks like the hotel cores face Broad Street, resulting in a 'blank wall' effect. The more interesting facade faces the apartment building behind. It may be slightly quieter for the guests to have most of the rooms facing away from Broad Street, but I don't think that is enough to justify this arrangement. Also, turning the building around will offer greater privacy to the apartment dwellers.

The site also looks over-developed. I think we'd all prefer these two towers to be stacked one on top of the other in a Beetham stylee...
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #91
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

I really like it, seems the buildings are at an angle to minimise the hotel guests peering in on the apartments and the other way around. Detailing looks good, very pleased at the effort put in. Cladding looks decent and this development will only help Broad Street with more footfall and money to be spent. Optimistic on this one!
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #92
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Am i missing something because i can't find any detail of the cladding?
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #93
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

There have been quite a few developments with hotel operators sign up - that haven't materialised. But those operators have built in other cities. I guess the proof will be when they start on site
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #94
van heckler

Likes (Received): 734

Here is the visual from the aviation document, without the text in the way.

VDB, ROYAL BLUE, Brum X, iamtheSTIG liked this post
van heckler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #95
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
First impressions are good. Height seems good for location, build materials are key though.

The idea of this joining the construction of Paradise Circus, Arena Central and all the changes at 5 Ways are almost to much to comprehend... *faints*

Tied to this is the now funded metro route adjoining and connecting all these developments.
Though we may have only two routes funded so far, the city centre lines one and two will provide an unparralled connections from Edgbaston Village and Five Ways to Brindleyplace, the ICC and Library, Arena Central and Paradise through to all the main line stations, Bullring, HS2, Eastside and Digbeth, the Financial district and the Jewellery Quarter.
I think developers will really look at sites close to these metro routes, and this development at Leftbank, Arena Central and Paradise must surely be taking this into account.
Potentially 3 starts at Arena Central in 2015, 2 at Paradise, 2 at Leftbank and the Fiveways schemes, so yes "almost too much to comprehend"
Could have a landscape of tower cranes for a while.

Last edited by nigeman; December 19th, 2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: detraction
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #96
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

The angle of the hotel block is wrong, looks like they've just said "how do we fit this in, ok f*** it, let's just drop it in here". [hopingprovedwrong]Based on that, I still reckon this is a speculation rather than a serious proposal[/hopingprovedwrong]
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #97
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7625

I quite like it, the original scheme was obviously morr liked but I think this one will be realised this time, the way things are going it's only a matter of time before we get a tall
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #98
sefton66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Tied to this is the now funded metro route adjoining and connecting all these developments.
Though we may have only two routes funded so far, the city centre lines one and two will provide an unparralled connections from Edgbaston Village and Five Ways to Brindleyplace, the ICC and Library, Arena Central and Paradise through to all the main line stations, Bullring, HS2, Eastside and Digbeth, the Financial district and the Jewellery Quarter.
I think developers will really look at sites close to these metro routes, and this development at Leftbank, Arena Central and Paradise must surely be taking this into account.
Potentially 3 starts at Arena Central in 2015, 2 at Paradise, 2 at Leftbank and the Fiveways schemes, so yes "almost too much to comprehend"
Could have a landscape of tower cranes for a while.

Agreed, I'm wondering how nightlife on broad st will change with all the planned developments? I can see it becoming a strip of bars and restaurants hotels and apartments, nightclubs moving around Arcadian instead
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #99
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

Birmingham is screaming out for a Metro line down the Bristol Rd to get students from the Uni up to Broad St and town in general.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #100
sefton66

university to 5 ways in the cross city line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement