Addis Ababa (አዲስ ኣበባ) | Ethiopia | City Gallery (PT.3) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Club forums > Photography, Heritage & Architecture

Photography, Heritage & Architecture Cities, towns & villages

Old May 3rd, 2015, 02:50 AM   #21
cptjosh

Likes (Received): 1368

I want to say its the middle one.

kazanchis, Kalonji liked this post
cptjosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:10 AM   #22
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 6867

I don't like that Bob Marley statue for it doesn't look professional at all. It needs to be redone.
Skyliner123 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:27 AM   #23
aDDis88

Likes (Received): 214

At one of the main avenues of the Ethiopian and the African capital city of Addis Ababa we have immortalized the late Austrian Karlheinz Boehm. I am very happy and proud as an Ethiopian that the accomlishments and his humanity towards the Ethiopian people during his lifetime has been acknowledged by a tall monument on such a significant cross road in an important city of a 90 million population. If anybody deserves a statue of this caliber in such an impotant city like Addis Ababa, a person like him who devoted decades of his lifetime for the improvement of the living conditions of many Ethiopians and the changes he brought about in the lives of millions of Ethiopians could be an inspiration for others. This great individual deserves such an honour in my opinion.

When we come to the reggae legendary musician and his statue, I am not very keen on the idea of erecting the statue in Addis Ababa. The statue depicts Bob Marley doing what he has always enjoyed doing during his lifetime – performing on a stage. I would say I belong to thousands(won't dare to say millions) of Ethiopian fans of this outstanding legendary musician. Of course he was an admiror and worshiper of the late Ras Teferi Mekonnen Woldemichael Gudessa(the late Emperor Haile Selassie I). If this was the main criteria to be immortalized and be honoured with a statue on one of the main intersections of Addis Ababa, then we should first honour the late Emperor before honouring his admiror.

Maybe somebody from this forum may enlighten me on what the criterions are, to erect monuments in honour of great personalities.

All conflict is about difference; whether the difference is race religion, or nationality… Difference is of the essence of humanity. Difference is an accident of birth and it should therefore never be the source of hatred or conflict. The answer to difference is to respect it. Therein lies a most fundamental principle of peace: respect for diversity. – John Hume
aDDis88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:21 PM   #24
FKebede

Likes (Received): 3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDDis88 View Post
At one of the main avenues of the Ethiopian and the African capital city of Addis Ababa we have immortalized the late Austrian Karlheinz Boehm. I am very happy and proud as an Ethiopian that the accomlishments and his humanity towards the Ethiopian people during his lifetime has been acknowledged by a tall monument on such a significant cross road in an important city of a 90 million population. If anybody deserves a statue of this caliber in such an impotant city like Addis Ababa, a person like him who devoted decades of his lifetime for the improvement of the living conditions of many Ethiopians and the changes he brought about in the lives of millions of Ethiopians could be an inspiration for others. This great individual deserves such an honour in my opinion.

When we come to the reggae legendary musician and his statue, I am not very keen on the idea of erecting the statue in Addis Ababa. The statue depicts Bob Marley doing what he has always enjoyed doing during his lifetime – performing on a stage. I would say I belong to thousands(won't dare to say millions) of Ethiopian fans of this outstanding legendary musician. Of course he was an admiror and worshiper of the late Ras Teferi Mekonnen Woldemichael Gudessa(the late Emperor Haile Selassie I). If this was the main criteria to be immortalized and be honoured with a statue on one of the main intersections of Addis Ababa, then we should first honour the late Emperor before honouring his admiror.

Maybe somebody from this forum may enlighten me on what the criterions are, to erect monuments in honour of great personalities.
I fully support the idea of honouring this people with a statue, But that statue of karlheinz and this one of bob marly are reall pathetic works of amateur sculptors , they should be removed and replaced by something that is professional. We have good artists who can do the job , why not commission them and give them the job. Below are some good examples from different cities in Ethio, for a decent art works our sculptors are capable of.

statue of Said Mohammed ,Jijiga

Statue of Woldeamanuel Dubale ,Awassa
[IMG]http://i52.************/23ht5vs.jpg[/IMG]

Statue of Bakhar Waree ,Chelenqo Oromia

The daily liked this post
FKebede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #25
dorzew

Likes (Received): 418

Quote:

RITA MARLEY NOT HAPPY ABOUT BOB STATUE

Rita Marley, widow of pop icon Bob Marley, is reportedly not happy about the statue of her late husband that will be unveiled in Addis Ababa next week.

Rita, who lives in the city of Accra, will not make it to Addis to uncover the three-metre bronze that is planned to be unveiled next Sunday in Gerji area, in front of the Imperial hotel, Ethiopia Observer has learnt.
The Ethiopian reggae singer Zeleke Gessese and music promoter, Addisu Gessese had the idea for the bronze statue, and Rita wasn’t happy about the project from the very start thinking that it was for financial gain by exploiting her husband’s name, sources revealed. The statue was sculpted by Bizuneh Tesfa and commissioned by the two brothers Zeleke, Addisu, and the businessman Awad Mohamed.

Rita, however, is not planning to take legal action against Zeleke and Addisu.
The statue will be erected in Bob Marley Square, which was named after the reggae legend ten years ago by the then city mayor, Arkebe Oqubay. A free concert featuring local reggae artists including Jalud Awol, Abenet Agonafer, Kenny Allen, Sydney Salmon, Johnny Raga, Ras Jani, would be held in the newly built Youth Sport Academy. Organisers are expecting as many as 20,000 people to attend the free event.

Rita Marley was granted honorary citizenship of the Addis Ababa city and received an Ethiopian passport from the government ten years ago, though she has made Ghana her home since some years ago.

http://www.ethiopiaobserver.com
The guy who made the statue is Artist Bizuneh Tesfa who also made the statue of Karlheinz Boehm and Atse Tewodros (at Gondar Square). Both sculptures have proportional problems. He works alone and it seems that someone need to assist him in the creative process.

Statue of Woldeamanuel Dubale ,Awassa was done by Artist Getahun Assefa who also teachs at the Alle School of Fine Arts, Addis Ababa University. He is one of the few best sculptors Ethiopia ever has. I don't know why but he gets few opportunities to create such a kind of work he did for Hawassa.

My feeling about the statues:..... we should honor our heroes first before we extend our hands to abroad. Statue should be about history and culture of the country. We are short handed to build our history and culture in a visual form. I hope we can do better!
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #26
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 2304

Urban Renewal, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia by Photos from The Nordic Africainstitute, on Flickr

Addis new buildings by Alexia Natalia, on Flickr

Yoniii, FKebede, cptjosh liked this post
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #27
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Addis is great by ombelinegras, on Flickr

Autoroute Addis by pydum, on Flickr

Yoniii, FKebede, cptjosh, Wutang liked this post
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #28
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

pano-5 by GetLostInET, on Flickr

Edna Mall @ Bole by Esther Degeest

Yoniii, FKebede, cptjosh, Wutang, Kalonji liked this post
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #29
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

View on the old center, Addis Ababa by Pov Dev, on Flickr

Geb98, FKebede, Wutang liked this post
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #30
GetLostInET

Likes (Received): 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geb98 View Post
same strip of bole we see everyday lol
Isn't this the new Ramada Hotel?
GetLostInET no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #31
ahbecede

Likes (Received): 3449

I don't think so. The Ramada is in Lideta I think. This picture is in Bole, right by the Millennium Hall (that you can see on the far right edge of the pic).

I just read an article that the Ramada is due to be inaugurated in June. It would be nice to find a progress picture.

GetLostInET liked this post
ahbecede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #32
aDDis88

[IMG]http://i60.************/dnyhqb.jpg[/IMG]

Source : diretube

All conflict is about difference; whether the difference is race religion, or nationality… Difference is of the essence of humanity. Difference is an accident of birth and it should therefore never be the source of hatred or conflict. The answer to difference is to respect it. Therein lies a most fundamental principle of peace: respect for diversity. – John Hume

The daily liked this post
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #33
cptjosh

Likes (Received): 1368

Wutang, FKebede, Kirkos liked this post
cptjosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #34
Wutang

Likes (Received): 110

my friends in belgium would never believe that those pics were in addis :p
those pics could be anywhere in europe :o
Wutang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #35
aDDis88

[IMG]http://i61.************/15czty8.jpg[/IMG]

Haile G/Selassie road looking good with new road and light rail tracks

[IMG]http://i58.************/2n7qulh.jpg[/IMG]

Source : pictures taken from preciseconsult international

Wutang, FKebede, Aaraldi liked this post
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #36
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

Likes (Received): 3686

Addis Golf Club is being expanded!

Condos even further away are being built in the VFAC area.

FKebede liked this post
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #37
rasta55

Likes (Received): 574

CEFA from VFAC ?
rasta55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #38
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 2379

a Golf park requires a HUGE amount of water....since water is scarce in Ethiopia, Do we have to rejoice of expanding this water-voracious business dedicated for (a tiny) wealthy people ?
If the city government can spend millions of gallons of water for golf...we should provide at least the same amount of water to residents...

yosiast liked this post
s@lomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #39
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

Likes (Received): 3686

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
a Golf park requires a HUGE amount of water....since water is scarce in Ethiopia, Do we have to rejoice of expanding this water-voracious business dedicated for (a tiny) wealthy people ?
If the city government can spend millions of gallons of water for golf...we should provide at least the same amount of water to residents...
Water isn't that scarce...
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #40
AM2

Likes (Received): 3273

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I see your point ... it's kind of obscene to use water on grass in a golf course while millions of Addis residents have intermittent water supply at best. But if Addis is to claim its place as the capital of Africa, it will need at least one world class 18 hole golf course ...

Kirkos liked this post
AM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement