Addis Ababa (አዲስ ኣበባ) | Ethiopia | City Gallery (PT.3) - Page 202 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Club forums > Photography, Heritage & Architecture

Photography, Heritage & Architecture Cities, towns & villages

Old September 12th, 2019, 02:24 AM   #4021
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 2393

the pic falsely portrays Addis as green city ....with the cluster of trees at the forefront.

anyway it is great shot.
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2019, 02:59 AM   #4022
Positively Ethiopian

Likes (Received): 2411

Old September 12th, 2019, 06:57 AM   #4023
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

Likes (Received): 3715

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
the pic falsely portrays Addis as green city ....with the cluster of trees at the forefront.

anyway it is great shot.
Exactly why I call it "the perfect shot".
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2019, 11:41 PM   #4024
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedin View Post
I think it's safe to say: Wegagen Bank would look a lot better without the arch-thing. The rest of the cladding is pretty good quality.

AGAZI, GetLostInET, yosef, FKebede, Crix liked this post
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 06:18 AM   #4025
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 2305

I even like the vertical stripes design..looks distinguished.

Its not too late for a design change, the golden arches dont look like they are structural (weight bearing or supporting or anything)....maybe easy to snatch right off when its decided to do so.

Although starting to grow on me a little bit as least in terms of adding color to the skyline... I could do without it also
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:51 AM   #4026
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 6870

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosef View Post
I even like the vertical stripes design..looks distinguished.

Its not too late for a design change, the golden arches dont look like they are structural (weight bearing or supporting or anything)....maybe easy to snatch right off when its decided to do so.

Although starting to grow on me a little bit as least in terms of adding color to the skyline... I could do without it also

With that golden arch, it seems that they shold rename the building from Wogagen to McDogagen

FKebede, yosef liked this post
Skyliner123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 12:54 PM   #4027
Ethio Matrix

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedin View Post

I kid you not - I spent hours and hours staring on this pic. Where is it ? What is it? The infantile coloured fence coupled with the the purposeless modern tile hypnotized and tortured me. Help me - What is it ??? Are those cave entries ?

Simfan34 liked this post
Ethio Matrix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #4028
GetLostInET

Likes (Received): 2920

I have always hated that "ketiya"

---የትነበርሽ ንጉሴ

Simfan34, FKebede liked this post
GetLostInET no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:08 PM   #4029
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

I was debating whether I should take (okay, waste) the time needed to do exactly that in Photoshop. Now I can use that time to (attempt to) be productive!

It looks rather Japanese, for some reason⁠—towers there are rather un-flamboyant, although the large bulkhead makes it look like some sort of telecommunications tower for some reason. It's more than enough space than would be needed for actual mechanicals⁠—I'm guessing its sole purpose is to support the arch?

GetLostInET liked this post

Last edited by Simfan34; September 15th, 2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:32 PM   #4030
Snowlion
Snowlion

Likes (Received): 266

Is it me or is that building supposed to resemble the( musical instrument) harmonica ?
Snowlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:33 PM   #4031
GetLostInET

Glad I saved you time on PhotoShop

Yes it does look a bit tall for mechanicals. If it is there for only supporting the arch it is unfortunate because this building is actually beautiful and would have looked more balanced if it did not stick out that much. Again they could have put fake facade similar to the patterns on the window instead the structure was highlighted with the usual tile facade you see around time.

---የትነበርሽ ንጉሴ
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:34 PM   #4032
GetLostInET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlion View Post

Is it me or is that building supposed to resemble the( musical instrument) harmonica ?

---የትነበርሽ ንጉሴ
Old September 15th, 2019, 07:28 PM   #4033
Kibret

Likes (Received): 1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethio Matrix View Post

I kid you not - I spent hours and hours staring on this pic. Where is it ? What is it? The infantile coloured fence coupled with the the purposeless modern tile hypnotized and tortured me. Help me - What is it ??? Are those cave entries ?
I think this is Washa Mikael: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washa_...ck_Hewn_Church
Kibret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:30 PM   #4034
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

Quote:

Unfortunately I suspect these could easily be very old (medieval). I am sure the level of archeologists' or historians' input in this was precisely nil. I don't think it's Washa Mikael but I think it could be contemporary with it.

I feel I have seen them in one of Prof. Vigano's papers. His work is absolutely incredible, what he claims to be re-discovering is astounding. I simply wouldn't believe it, had his method—basically rummaging through Google Earth— not already been proven as a means of making real, groundbreaking discoveries. If not for the proof physical ruins, I'd have surely by now dismissed him as a pseudo-archeologist. But there is no denying they are there. The only possible evidence against his hypothesis is that the ruins he is pinpointing are much more recent (19th century onwards) in origin and thus far less interesting. He's also started to identify sites in Hararghe and Wollo.

"Prester John Revisited" and "The Shapes of Medieval Addis Ababa" are a good place to start.

That they are being left to sit unconserved, and in some cases overrun by sprawl, is nothing short of criminal. Vigano writes that basic excavations at some sites could be done in the range of US$25,000. That the Ministry of Culture is apparently (?) choosing to spend millions building the hideous Mesob Tower and god knows what else rather than fund archeological expeditions and protection conservation efforts in Addis (can you believe it? I still can't!) and around the country (the most comprehensive archeological survey of Axum remains that of the Prussian expedition of 1906!) is a beyond a travesty. There are all sorts of viable means for preserving and in some cases reconstructing these sites in international best practice.

He's right to note that the tourist, cultural, and experiential potential of these sites is considerable. Even from a purely utilitarian there's more marginal benefit in preserving these sites as opposed to letting them be torn apart for cobble stones or built over with cheap condominiums. It's not expensive, never mind hiding behind the excuse of "foreign currency shortage". In fact, there's no reason to not ask self-proclaimed patriots like Teddy Afro to make the relatively tiny contribution to get work started. What are they waiting for? What are we waiting for?

yosef liked this post

Last edited by Simfan34; September 16th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 15th, 2019, 11:26 PM   #4035
Positively Ethiopian

Likes (Received): 2411

Quote:

Almost certain that is Adadi Mariam (12th century) 66km southwest of Addis. Founded by Abune Gabre Menfes Qedus and visited by King Lalibela around the same time it was founded. It was damaged during Ethio-Adal War by Gragn's forces( 16th century), burn marks are still visible in the interior of the structure. So much history here, it's a shame those tiles were put in needlessly.

yosef, Carver02, Simfan34 liked this post

Last edited by Positively Ethiopian; September 15th, 2019 at 11:38 PM.
Positively Ethiopian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 10:52 PM   #4036
Carver02
Mister One Million

Likes (Received): 816

Remarkable. It reminds me of the secret stairs from Lord of the Rings.
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #4037
GetLostInET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Ethiopian View Post
Almost certain that is Adadi Mariam (12th century) 66km southwest of Addis. Founded by Abune Gabre Menfes Qedus and visited by King Lalibela around the same time it was founded. It was damaged during Ethio-Adal War by Gragn's forces( 16th century), burn marks are still visible in the interior of the structure. So much history here, it's a shame those tiles were put in needlessly.
Used your keyword "Adadi Mariam" and found this ...

---የትነበርሽ ንጉሴ

Simfan34 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2019, 05:15 AM   #4038
Rekarte
instagram: t.l.rekarte

Likes (Received): 51497

Flickr Danilo Desiderio

Adenagir, yosef, kebedew, Crix liked this post
Rekarte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:01 AM   #4039
Adenagir

Likes (Received): 3045

Pluto Real Estate

http://www.plutoestates.com/

FKebede, yosef liked this post
Adenagir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM   #4040
FKebede

Likes (Received): 3457

Very nice residential complex, but their prices are astonishing though, 28 million birr for a G+2 apartment in Addis Ababa, that is 1 Million us dollars. Start watching from 1:04 But he goes on in detail about the prices for the rest after 11:05.

,,,,ያረመኔ አገር ነውና ያገሬ ሰው ገብር ስራት ግባ ብዬ ብለው እምቢ ብሎ ተጣላኝ። እናንተ ግን በስራት በተገዛ ሰው አሸነፋችሁኝ። እኔን ወደውኝ የተከተሉኝ ሰዎች አንድ እርሳስ ፈርተው ጥለውኝ ሸሹ ፣ ብትቃጥዋቸው ከሮጡ ሰዎች ጋራ አልነበርኹም፣ ጌታ ነኝ መስሎኝ ባልሰላ መድፍ ስታገል ውዬ ነው። ያገሬ ሰው የፈረንጅ ሃይማኖት ይዟል፣ አስልሟል፣ እያለ አስሩን ምክንያት ይሰጠኝ ነበር። እኔ ከከፋሁበት እግዚአብሄር መልካም ይስጠው፣ እንደወደደ ይሁን፣ ቢሰጥኝ ሁሉን ልገዛ ሃሳብ ነበረኝ። እግዚአብሄር ቢነሳኝ ልሞት ሃሳቤ ይህ ነበር።,,,,,,, ዓጼ ቴዎድሮስ ለጀነራል ናፒየር ከላኩት የመጨረሻ ደብዳቤ- መቅደላ።

አእምሮ የሌለው ህዝብ ስርዓት የለውም፣ ስርዓት የሌለው ህዝብ ሃይል የለውም፣ የሃይል ምንጭ ስርዓት እንጂ የሰራዊት ብዛት አይደለም፣ ስርዓት ከሌለው ትልቅ ሃገር ይልቅ፣ ስርዓት ያላት ትንሽ ከተማ ሙያ ትሰራለች።
-ነጋድራስ ገብረሂወት ባይከዳኝ።

yosef liked this post
FKebede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement