St Anne's Court | Lombard Street | Residential | 5fl | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #21
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4514

I do find it disappointing that most of the homes will be one beds. Surely, people will want a spare room for whatever reason. One beds are so limiting.

I hope future developments throw caution to the wind and start building a bigger variety of apartments. What about some duplexes or three beds?

And not just apartments. It`ll be good to see four storey townhouses offering large family accomodation, especially in the Southside area.

Am I expecting to much here?
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #22
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2625

Just a bit... although it is not an expectation that could not be reached, just one where there is no will to reach it.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #23
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7648

Quote:
DIGBETH FLAT SCHEME RESTS ON FUNDING AGREEMENT
By Storm Rannard, Digital Staff Writer
A decision on proposals to build a major residential scheme on brownfield land in Digbeth rests on developers finalising an agreement to contribute towards affordable housing and improvements to public space in the area.

Planners from Birmingham City Council have informally recommended the project for approval, but it could be refused by early October if a Section 106 deal is not concluded.

The land on the corner of Bradford Street, Lombard Street, Cheapside and Alcester Street is currently vacant and overgrown.

The application to build a five-storey building comprising 170 apartments and a 2,900 sq ft retail unit was lodged by Zebra Architects on behalf of Grange Securities Ltd in July 2015.

The building will also comprise a 5,300 sq ft communal rooftop space along with 57 car parking spaces and facilities for 157 bicycles.

A document published ahead of a city council panning meeting next week (1 October) revealed that the project has been informally recommended for approval by officers, who said a five storey building in the location is "acceptable" and the design is "to a good standard".

They added it should be given the green light if a Section 106 comprising £80,000 towards off-site affordable housing, £73,000 for improving the public realm around Lombard Street and Cheapside and a further £5,000 towards administration fees is finalised.

A financial appraisal was submitted with the application and an independent appraisal agreed that no contribution would "render the scheme unviable".

As a result, Grange has agreed to pay £153,000 following "significant" negotiations.

A final decision has been deferred until a Section 106 is finalised but the project will be refused if an agreement is not reached by 5 October.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/148225-
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #24
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1576

Bit off topic but is that Hotel under construction in Digbeth, can't find a thread for it?
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #25
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread View Post
The DAS also shows that the original proposal was pretty naff and that the planners insisted on something better
Pardon my ignorance, but how can this happen with one scheme and not another? If I had a pound the amount of times people on here shout me down saying "THE COUNCIL CAN'T DO JACK SHIT".etc
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:10 AM   #26
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Money and policy.

The way BCC operates is that they will ask developers to make changes and hopefully they will, especially if they want to get permission in a reasonable time.

If BCC can point to a policy and say a scheme doesn't comply then the developer has to change it. Digbeth is a Conservation Area so they have more power to do this.

If BCC can't the the developer can make a hostile application and if the city refuses it the developer can take it to appeal and the inspector won't care if it is ugly or not, the inspector will ask if it complies with the policy. If it does then it is given permission and the council picks up the appeal costs.

Tesco used it all the time.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:19 AM   #27
djay
The promised land

Worth adding the Council will only pick up the appeal costs if it has acted unreasonably. Refusing on aesthetics is considered to be unreasonable.

Biosonic liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:39 PM   #28
CL81

Likes (Received): 549

This was approved yesterday by the way.

LocalVernacular, ROYAL BLUE, Brum X liked this post
CL81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:35 PM   #29
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Worth adding the Council will only pick up the appeal costs if it has acted unreasonably. Refusing on aesthetics is considered to be unreasonable.
And this is where we're going wrong. Local authorities should have some kind of aesthetics framework they can require developers to comply with. Nothing too onerous or detailed (or nothing would ever get built) but something to weed out the worst...

RalphGuy liked this post
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:18 PM   #30
djay
The promised land

I agree... The Government however, do not.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 06:28 PM   #31
RalphGuy

So is this proposal going ahead or not?
Old October 3rd, 2015, 11:08 AM   #32
djay
The promised land

It has been given approval subject to the agreement of a S106. Once all parties sign up to whatever details are within, it can be built. We won't really know if this happens unless it is in the media/when they start construction.

My guess is the application deadline will be extended beyond October if they can't reach agreement to give them more time to come to one.

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #33
RalphGuy

Does anyone know if anything is happening with this site?
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #34
RalphGuy

Brum X has commented on the Harrison Drape thread that this site is being cleared, ready for construction.
Old February 28th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #35
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

I hope you don't mind me re posting your picture BB, this is the project thread for the site next to Harrison Drape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournvilleBaggie View Post

Here's the next block up on Bradford St going away from the city centre, where things seem to be about to get going; Fabrick Square in the background:

Bradford St, Digbeth by Ade, on Flickr

Looks like this site is gearing up, great news as the plans are very smart.

RalphGuy liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #36
RalphGuy

With this and Fabrick Square next door, that`s nearly 500 new homes around Bradford St.
Old February 28th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #37
BournvilleBaggie
Ade

Likes (Received): 5122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
I hope you don't mind me re posting your picture BB, this is the project thread for the site next to Harrison Drape.

Looks like this site is gearing up, great news as the plans are very smart.
No problem, Royal Blue. I'd forgotten that there was a separate thread for this.

ROYAL BLUE liked this post
BournvilleBaggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #38
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Here's the 2 sites in context:

Here's an even wider context, from Smithfields to the Paragon Hotel:

The scope for regeneration on this side of Digbeth (West of the High Street) is huge. The area alone is the same size as some British City Centres.

RalphGuy, sefton66 liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #39
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 539

This is the skyline view from the church next door. I'd like to go back at night, but the gate is usually locked. I think this position from Bradford Street, as well as Moseley St, Cheapside and Leopold Street (which is another splendid street with potential) really shows the undulating typology between Digbeth and the city. Connecting this side of the city to Edgbaston Street / Upper Dean Street is essential

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:54 AM   #40
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3660

I have a feeling that once several of the developemensts take off around here (like we're already starting to see) then the whole area will do so. Yes im a massive optimist in this respect. But whenever you talk of Digbeth you're talking about potential. Yes there are things that need to be addressed like transport and safety, but that will all happen in time.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Digbeth could be the coolest, most bohemian area to live. Really think the Smithfield proposals will spark others off to.

RalphGuy liked this post
Bureau des etrangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement