WYANDANCH | Wyandanch Village | Mixed Use 40 ac TOD | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT

NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT Westchester and Rockland counties | Nassau and Suffolk counties | Fairfield County

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Urbanica

Likes (Received): 93

WYANDANCH | Wyandanch Village | Mixed Use 40 ac TOD | U/C

The center of Wyandanch is being completely redeveloped. One of the most exciting Long Island projects in one of its most distressed hamlets.

Urbanica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Urbanica

Completed Phase I just before opening, west of the train station.

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/r...ead-1.10626508
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Urbanica

Wyandanch Village will be the home of the new Long Island Music Hall of Fame museum. LI has a very rich history of music and I see this as a nice draw for Wyandanch, bringing in thousands of people to an area that was historically avoided.

http://www.limusichalloffame.org/announcing-our-museum/

The Long Island Music Hall of Fame is thrilled to announce that it will be building a world class, state of the art museum in the newly developed, transit-oriented retail/residential community of Wyandanch Village, in Wyandanch, NY.

The new museum will be designed by renowned designer Kevin O’Callaghan, and built by the Albanese Organization. It will celebrate Long Island’s immense contribution to the past hundred years of musical history and will feature interactive exhibits, performance areas for professionals and students, and musical and historical memorabilia from LIMHoF’s diverse group of inductees in virtually all music categories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18449

Oh wow , I wasn't expected them to be done so fast...with Phase 1. When will the whole project be completed?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Oh wow , I wasn't expected them to be done so fast...with Phase 1. When will the whole project be completed?
I think they are throwing around about a decade to complete all.

Phase II is already under construction, which is similar to Phase I and is residential/retail. The third building, the commercial structure (with the planned Long Island Music Hall of Fame) that abuts the LIRR tracks should complete by 2017.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:36 PM   #6
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I guess i'll do a mini update next summer...
Old March 16th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Urbanica

Recent pic from Newsday. This one is popping up fast. I think this pic was taken early/mid fall last year.

Last edited by Urbanica; March 16th, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 16th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #8
red0eagle335

Likes (Received): 34

Looks impressive. Wyandanch has a reputation for being a "bad" town but it certainly has alot of potential especially with this project. LIRR station right there, good employment opportunities with Melville nearby(Many Corporate headquarters located) and Farmingdale(Small-mid manufacturing), right in the middle of two highways, etc.

Now the public schools is probably a different case but you figure with an influx of money coming into the district?

I work somewhat nearby, maybe one day I'll stroll though and take some photos.
red0eagle335 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Hudson11
Go Yanks!

Likes (Received): 37220

looks quaint.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #10
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Wow that went up fast , I will swing by the area in late Summer...
Old July 25th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #11
Middle-Island

In the area for something job-related, and finally did a drive past. The complex is relatively isolated near the train station with empty lots around it. Separated from the retail strips in town.
Old July 28th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #12
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I heard the retail wasn't doing aswell as they planned.
Old July 28th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #13
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I heard the retail wasn't doing as well as they planned.
I drove through it last week and I totally agree; it was Sunday in all fairness but it was absurdly quiet around there. Something needs to kick to get more activity there; Wyandanch is still very far off most people's radars.
Old July 29th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #14
Nexis
Dark Wolf

It doesn't give me much hope for the Heartland Redevelopment...I don't think it will do that well.
Old January 31st, 2018, 01:16 PM   #15
Urbanica

I was wondering why this Wyandanch development was stagnating for over a year; per this article it should kick back up in 2018:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ent-1.15372526

Wyandanch Rising project to take off next year, officials say
The $500 million downtown redevelopment effort, planned since 2002, includes developing areas north and south of the LIRR tracks.

By Denise M. Bonilla
[email protected] @denisebonilla
Updated December 10, 2017

The $500 million revitalization effort in Wyandanch may have appeared stagnant for the past year, but Babylon Town officials say behind-the-scenes efforts have been underway that will lead to visible progress in 2018.

Large scale construction in the 40-acre redevelopment zone settled into a hush in 2017. The whir of circular saws faded, the concrete dried and the backhoes disappeared. Residents grew concerned.

“There’s a despair that happens when all the construction vehicles go away and nothing’s happening,” said Amy Pfeiffer, the town’s director of downtown revitalization. “Now there’s stuff happening again.”

The Wyandanch Rising redevelopment — a $500 million public-private project that started 15 years ago — made noticeable gains from 2013 to 2016 with the construction of two mixed-use buildings that include 177 apartments, a plaza and ice skating rink, the creation of a spray park and botanical garden, and the construction of a sewer line that was the first significant extension of the Southwest Sewer District since the 1970s.

The coming year promises more tangible development, officials said. The town and master developer Albanese Organization Inc. of Garden City are to unveil plans at a community forum Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Wyandanch Senior Nutrition Center.

The new work “will show that the town is dead serious about moving this forward to the second, third and fourth phases,” Babylon Town Supervisor Rich Schaffer said.

Wyandanch Rising was conceived by current Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone after he was elected Babylon town supervisor in 2002. It was designed as a transit-oriented redevelopment that could improve the economically distressed community while also connecting it to, and lifting up, communities beyond.

“When we started there were a lot of people who were skeptical that we could ever get a beautifully designed, new downtown underway in Wyandanch, and we knew the skeptics were wrong,” Bellone said.

Despite the cynicism, the revitalization is on track, he said.

“New downtowns don’t develop overnight, and you don’t create the kind of change that this effort is seeking overnight either,” Bellone said. “But you can see the direction that this is going, and all the signs for future growth and prosperity there exist.”

The 177 apartments are more than 95 percent rented, Albanese chairman Russell Albanese said, with nine vacancies among the affordable housing units, for which there is a waiting list. He said he expects there will be a total of 700 to 1,000 housing units in Wyandanch Rising, both for rent and purchase.

But the developer has struggled to fill the 35,000 square feet of retail, and it remains 50 percent vacant.

“It’s been one of the most challenging aspects,” Albanese said.

This year, four more retailers have signed leases, including a Caribbean restaurant that was in the strip mall that once stood on the site. In addition, LISTnet, a technology advocacy group, is creating a “digital ballpark” and renting out office space for tech companies, focusing on minority-run businesses.

According to Pfeiffer, the town has received $6.6 million in federal funds, $54.5 million in state funds, $21.6 million in county funds — including $8.9 million in bonded contributions — and has used $51.1 million of town funds for the project. The town also has received $10.3 million in lending from Empire State Development.

Albanese said his company has invested $8 million in cash equity and $2 million in overhead for the development.

NORTH OF THE TRACKS
Building a new train station and adding a second Long Island Rail Road track along the Ronkonkoma Line that runs through Wyandanch are underway, including a new overpass to connect the north and south sides of the track in the Wyandanch Rising development area.

At the same time, Albanese will construct a five-floor building north of the existing apartments. It is to include 124 affordable housing units, limited to incomes at 50, 60, 80 and 90 percent of the area’s median income, which in 2016 was $92,933. The developer also will construct an adjacent one-story building to house the Wyandanch Community Resource Center, which has been operating out of a trailer since it opened in 2009.

In addition, a five-story building is to be constructed around the train station parking garage, with 100 senior apartments run by the nonprofit Selfhelp Community Services, which promotes independent living for seniors.

Albanese also is to develop plans for a building east of the existing apartments. The Long Island Music Hall of Fame is to open its first museum in the building, using about 10,000 square feet of the space. Bellone had originally sought also to use the building as office space, hoping to fill it with tech companies. But no companies came in, so the town and Albanese focused on moving the county-owned Martin Luther King Jr. Health Center from its current location south of the site.

Then talks began with the YMCA about a health and wellness center.

Albanese said a memorandum of understanding has been signed among the town, county, YMCA and upstate Peekskill-based HRHCare for a health and wellness center, offering doctor services, classes on diabetes prevention and healthy cooking demonstrations. The YMCA, offering a gym, pool, day care and summer camp, would use 50,000 square feet of the building. That design might be scaled down, officials said, as the organization is still about $8 million short in financing.

SOUTH OF THE TRACKS
Apartment buildings going up on the north side of the tracks led to complaints from residents that the majority of Wyandanch, which is located to the south, was being ignored. Officials say they hope the new work next year will allay those concerns.

Albanese plans to build two mixed-use buildings on either side of the existing post office with 100 rental apartments each and a total of 35,000 square feet of commercial space. Tentative plans also call for the construction of 50 to 60 townhomes that would be for sale. A swath of green space running north-south — dubbed the “South Lawn” — is planned next to the buildings.

But three nearby homeowners have declined to sell their properties to the town. Babylon officials said they are getting appraisals of the properties and will continue to try to negotiate.

One of the homeowners, Rene Iraheta, 48, isn’t optimistic about the negotiations. He said the money he owes on his mortgage is likely more than $100,000 over what an assessment would conclude. Because the town cannot legally offer more than market value to buy a property, Iraheta, a machine operator who has been out of work on disability for two years, doesn’t know how he would be able to pay off the mortgage.

“It might be better to stay here a couple of years and then the property values will go up” from the new development, Iraheta said.

Town officials said they will not use eminent domain to force homeowners out and will work their plans around the properties if necessary.

So far, the town has spent $27 million to purchase 48 properties for Wyandanch Rising, 13 of which were purchased using eminent domain. Two of those properties were homes.
Old August 14th, 2018, 01:24 PM   #16
Urbanica

Building 3 - 1 Washington Ave

Third building going up, groundbreaking last month (July).

https://nyrej.com/albanese-begins-co...andanch-rising

Hudson11 liked this post
Old August 14th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #17
Hudson11
Go Yanks!

Likes (Received): 37220

nice. This one looks a lot less kitsch.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement