Platform 21 | Offices/Retail | Refurb | 9fl | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #21
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Looks good

I wish they could do something with the blank brick walls.
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #22
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7644

Piccadilly arcade I'd assume is unlikely to go so maybe some advertising screens or green wall, the other side could be covered up by knocking down the adjacent building and building something much bigger....

Biosonic liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 10:38 AM   #23
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3656

Really like this. Just a shame that the New Street elevation doesn't seem to be getting as much tlc as the Stephenson street side. That said this is a really welcome refurb.
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #24
lbrown

Likes (Received): 64

Built in 1961 as the Woolworths Building.

The only good early 60s features are the Ethel Street entrance with the green marble and artwork. Ell probably has photos of it.

DBadger, ellbrown liked this post
lbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #25
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5819

So did they have two stores on New Street, or was this after the Bullring one was demolished and before the Pallasades one built?

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #26
lbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
So did they have two stores on New Street, or was this after the Bullring one was demolished and before the Pallasades one built?
There were two until 1983 when this one and Bullring one closed. Then in the 90s Palissades one opened.
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #27
lbrown

This was designed by Cotton Ballard and Blow who are responsible for some of Birminghams worst mid C20 buildings. The Big Top, The Exchange Buildings, The Ramp and the original Palissades being the others. But they also designed Grosvenor House on New Street which is one of our best C20 buildings.

leonigmig liked this post
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #28
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown View Post
Built in 1961 as the Woolworths Building.

The only good early 60s features are the Ethel Street entrance with the green marble and artwork. Ell probably has photos of it.

Only these, but of the 1990 refurb as the Charters Building.

Seen in 2014 from Bennetts Hill

Glass lift 2011 views

2012 with bunting

Theatre Royal plaque in 2010

Refurbished Bella Italia in 2015

Old March 4th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #29
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Of the Stephenson Street side - only indirect photos ...

From 2015 (on the left)

This one from the LoB (bottom left)

From Victoria Square

Old March 4th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #30
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown View Post
This was designed by Cotton Ballard and Blow who are responsible for some of Birminghams worst mid C20 buildings. The Big Top, The Exchange Buildings, The Ramp and the original Palissades being the others. But they also designed Grosvenor House on New Street which is one of our best C20 buildings.

I think your being a little unfair re big top - it actually has some interesting elements and decent materials. Pallasades is just a concrete bunker and Woolworth building isn't too bad, I guess it depends on your appreciation or not of mid 20c architecture
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #31
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Oddly enough it is being refurbished again. I'm off to the grand opening next week. they've invited the press also, wondering if it some type of new style or concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
Refurbished Bella Italia in 2015

Old March 4th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #32
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

That was only last August!
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #33
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

New photo of the Charters building as seen from the Secret Garden at the Library of Birmingham

JimRowland liked this post
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #34
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4920

This has been given the go ahead.

http://www.propertyweek.com/news/las...081941.article

ReissOmari liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #35
daniboy173

Likes (Received): 149

Why why why would you only renovate half of this building?? Just awful on the new street side, I just can't think what could possibly go through anyone's heads to approve this half job approach. Needs demolishing along with its awful neighbour
daniboy173 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #36
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2624

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboy173 View Post
I just can't think what could possibly go through anyone's heads to approve this half job approach. Needs demolishing along with its awful neighbour
NPPF and planning appeal costs usually.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #37
daniboy173

Please note that I say the following with complete acceptance that I don't know the exact ins and outs of how these planning issues work, so please don't go mental at me.
But what annoys the hell out of me, and this is a classic example, the BCC publish these grand planning documents such as the retail strategy, in which it states claims such as "we are going to transform new street into one of the greatest streets in the world" and then they go and accept this half arsed bodge job of a refurb which does absolutely nothing to improve the new street elevation, and in doing so completely misses the opportunity to make a step towards making new street "one of the greatest". So the point that I am alluding to is that they publish all these ambitions with no intention of making it happen in reality. As said, I don't know how it works so I don't know if they are unable or unwilling, but whatever the reason is, it's just a waste of bludy time making these grand planning docs and big bold claims, when the reality is that it will not happen. Fair point?
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #38
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Please note that I say the following with complete acceptance that I don't know the exact ins and outs of how these planning issues work, so please don't go mental at me.
But what annoys the hell out of me, and this is a classic example, the BCC publish these grand planning documents such as the retail strategy, in which it states claims such as "we are going to transform new street into one of the greatest streets in the world" and then they go and accept this half arsed bodge job of a refurb which does absolutely nothing to improve the new street elevation, and in doing so completely misses the opportunity to make a step towards making new street "one of the greatest". So the point that I am alluding to is that they publish all these ambitions with no intention of making it happen in reality. As said, I don't know how it works so I don't know if they are unable or unwilling, but whatever the reason is, it's just a waste of bludy time making these grand planning docs and big bold claims, when the reality is that it will not happen. Fair point?
You have quoted retail strategy. In the pure sense, it is not policy which is what decisions are informed from. A retail strategy usually forms some part of the evidence base but i'm not familiar with how BCC have used theirs.

Nonetheless, the strategy is more concerned with numbers rather the look of the street. It aims to set the right environment to encourage the right kind of retail to meet the needs of shoppers in its boundary. However, the council are reliant on private investors to come and provide that retail. This means that private investors need to buy into the vision. So the policy (even the strategy says) We will encourage high quality development on new street which will transform new street into one of the greatest streets in the world... That is to encourage private investors to bring forward development to achieve this aim. But the transformation is over a 15 or 20 year period.

In many cases, this happens. Paradise Circus and Arena Central are newer places which appear to be progressing towards their aspirations and the Bullring and Brindleyplace are examples of similarly framed positive policy which has delivered... albeit we don't know how the newer ones will turn out in the end but they seem to be on the path to meeting the aspiration described in the planning documents.

Unfortunately it is economics over aesthetics at a basic level. The Government want to encourage development, almost at the expense of anything else. They want it this way and bringing this building up to date i better than leaving it to rot. It is the same arguement for Auchinleck House whether you like it or not, it has brought the building back into use which is better than it sitting there empty.

JayPeeDee liked this post

Last edited by djay; May 12th, 2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old May 13th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #39
daniboy173

Yeh fair enough. I suppose that lack of real hands on control from the BCC is what stops fast paced development, as you said, at the end of the day it is down to private investors. Which is fair enough I suppose. I think they should implement some sort of "ugly building tax" - that might get rid of some of the awful ones much quicker! But yes it is still better to have a building occupied and modernised in terms of facilities, although I still wish this particular building had more focus on the new st elevation. I think everyone seems to be in the same boat on that point.
Old May 13th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #40
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Yeh fair enough. I suppose that lack of real hands on control from the BCC is what stops fast paced development, as you said, at the end of the day it is down to private investors. Which is fair enough I suppose. I think they should implement some sort of "ugly building tax" - that might get rid of some of the awful ones much quicker! But yes it is still better to have a building occupied and modernised in terms of facilities, although I still wish this particular building had more focus on the new st elevation. I think everyone seems to be in the same boat on that point.
The empty building tax effectively does this... although the reality is that developers just knocked the buildings down if they were empty, meaning we lost a few good and decent non-listed buildings... Island House being one of them. I imagine an ugly building tax would do the same... that is after you manage to some how agree what an ugly building looks like which might make you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement