Exchange Square 1 | Residential/Retail | 26/16/9fl | 81/52/32m | U/C. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4935

Exchange Square 1 | Residential/Retail | 26/16/9fl | 81/52/32m | U/C.

Exchange Square - Phase 1
Eastside

Height: 78m, 52m, 32m | Floors: 26, 15, 8 storeys | Developer: Nikal

Links: News Article
  • Manchester-based property company Nikal has secured funding for its major residential scheme Exchange Square, in Birmingham’s city centre.

The developer announced the £100m funding deal at MIPIM for the proposed development which is aimed at the private rented sector (PRS).

The deal follows on from Nikal submitting a reserved matters planning application for the scheme last month. Subject to consent, work is set to start on site this summer to build 603 new city centre flats in a trio of buildings, eight, 15 and 26 storeys high.

Alongside the flats, the application also makes provision for 187 car parking spaces and 27,500 sq ft of ground-floor shops, a 5,850 sq ft members’ club-style hub that will contain services for residents, including a concierge and access to a private lounge that will open onto a landscaped rooftop garden covering more than 20,000 sq ft.

Completion of the final block will be before the end of 2019. An application for a second phase of development, including an additional building – likely to be a 32-storey tower designed by Ian Simpson Architects – and a new public square, will follow shortly.

• Current status: Proposed - Phase Pre Planning

ROYAL BLUE liked this post
Birmingham está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #2
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

I hadn't realised it was to be a Brick building, much better then the metal cladding of the first 2 Masshouse buildings.

It really niggles at me that this site has sat derelict since 2002.

Razor01 liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #3
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

To be fair the last owner did build some shoddy apartments and had a government building lined up. Until they went bump. This looks much better quality than they were proposing. The real shame is the loss of the beautiful proposed court building. It's typical of brum to be back of the queue and miss the public spending binge
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #4
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003 View Post
To be fair the last owner did build some shoddy apartments and had a government building lined up. Until they went bump. This looks much better quality than they were proposing. The real shame is the loss of the beautiful proposed court building. It's typical of brum to be back of the queue and miss the public spending binge
Wasn't it first proposed and the first building built by Miller Homes of Arena Central (although i think thats Miller Developments, its a branch off the same tree) fame?

The Government building was a replacement Magistrates Court.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #5
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

It was David McLean and then Mclaren wasn't it?

Old March 19th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #6
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2628

Oh yes sorry my mistake. No idea why i thought it was Miller. Probably a client connection to it instead.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

Just over the road from this is anyone else peeved off at the council or company using the land by the old car park as a dumping ground? Absolute mess full of bricks and tat for building work just looks a mess. Opposite hotel la tour as well doesn't look great at all!

Brum X, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Brum X

Likes (Received): 16992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
Just over the road from this is anyone else peeved off at the council or company using the land by the old car park as a dumping ground? Absolute mess full of bricks and tat for building work just looks a mess. Opposite hotel la tour as well doesn't look great at all!

Yes me, it is utterly discraceful. At least they could do is put some wooden hoardings around the site so we cant see this mess, instead of the metal fence they have around which you can see everything.
I feel like writing to the council to complain. Its a right mess

Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #9
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1964

In a Black Country Al stylee I'd like the entire Albert St carpark demolished so that and the dumping ground can be landscaped into a nice square.
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:36 PM   #10
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

I just don't get it, or why it can be allowed. Private property or not!

Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Brum Boy

Likes (Received): 214

My wife took her Driving Theory Test in the McLaren building on Friday so I decided to have a good look around the surrounding area with the kids while we waited.

It is evident that from the success of the Bullring the once thriving shops north of New Street are really struggling and the area particularly around Dale End area is in urgent need of new thinking and a Master Plan to bring it back up. This area is a prime city location as it sits directly between Colmore Business District and Eastside both areas currently undergoing huge investment.

I understand that the bullring owners Hammerson now own the old Priory Square site (Martineau Galleries) adjacent to Exchange Square and I’m really interested to see what their proposal is.

Personally I would like to see a minimal amount of retail and more residential blocks continuing from Exchange Square up to Corporation Street. And like MSP I would like to see the Albert Street car park knocked down and turned into a square.

Let’s see what happens?

RalphGuy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Brum Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:44 PM   #12
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

I have to say the Idea that Dale End was thriving before the Bullring re opened is just not true.

The area was run down at least as far back as the late 80's, held up by Toys R Us and the Virgin megastore. The markets were always grotty and the area was accessed via sub way tunnels under Masshouse Circus, which were to be frank like visiting the 3rd World.

All thats happened is the new BullRing and now Grand Central have shown the area up for how bad it has always been.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Brum Boy

Likes (Received): 214

Agree. Dale End has always been ugly, grotty, shithole and has always been for as long as I can remember.

Priory square and the old market there did used to be busy as it was just off the main circular shopping route of New Street, Corporation Street, Bull Street and High Street.

My hope is that Exchange Square kick starts the regeneration for this whole area with an emphasis on residential. An extensive retail offering is no longer a viable option.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:02 PM   #14
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1093

I'm surprised the whole area (MG and Exchange Square) isn't being touted for office development. The raisin-d'être of HS2 is supposed to be about business relocation from London, yet we're surrounding the station with students, learning and residential. Hopefully HS2 will at least benefit Digbeth creatives, but imagine a business district stretching from Five Ways, through Brindleyplace, Arena Central, Paradise, Colmore Row, Snow Hill and Colmore Square extended across to MG and Exchange Square with HS2 on the doorstep. Massive.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:41 PM   #15
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

Prime residential, drawing people into the city to revive it.

Isn't the Martineau site being planned for a plethora of office space, extending the Colmore business district?

Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 06:06 PM   #16
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave.1 View Post
Prime residential, drawing people into the city to revive it.

Isn't the Martineau site being planned for a plethora of office space, extending the Colmore business district?
Okay, that's cool. I'm just in favour of whatever works really. As are we all of course.

Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:58 PM   #17
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2111

The Aston uni residences is a waste of valuable city centre land. I still think these brick buildings will look odd surrounded by glass and steel buildings.

BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:13 PM   #18
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Offices are planned but not to the scale of paradise circus etc. The city needs to strike a balance and we have the Colmore and snowhill districts plus Brindley place, paradise and arena. Two main areas are enough for a city our size I think.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:18 PM   #19
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
The Aston uni residences is a waste of valuable city centre land. I still think these brick buildings will look odd surrounded by glass and steel buildings.
What do you propose?

a) kick the students out to the surrounding areas until that land becomes valuable to and,

b) build everything using glass and steel rather than have some variety?

Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:36 PM   #20
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave.1 View Post
What do you propose?

a) kick the students out to the surrounding areas until that land becomes valuable to and,

b) build everything using glass and steel rather than have some variety?
The north side of the campus needs developing, the student living quarters could have been accommodated on this land, freeing land the size of the Martineau Galleries development for further expansion of the city core. It will happen in the future. Those tower blocks won't last much longer than the ones they replaced.

And nobody argued we needed variety when the last proposal was approved.

BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement