Centenary Square Revamp | Broad Street | Public Square | U/C. - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:58 AM   #41
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 2907

Append Removed

Last edited by Guilbert53; August 12th, 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:30 AM   #42
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

There's a Starbucks inside The ICC, isn't that open 7 days a week?
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:36 AM   #43
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwilko View Post
The public competition was won by the one with water around the Hall of Memory if I recall.
There may have been a public vote, but the public was never going to select the winning design.
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:59 AM   #44
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1643

I don't understand the need for the flagpoles creating unnecessary clutter. What is their exact purpose? Its not overly clear what they are. As for the reflecting pool this will just become strewn with windswept litter or filled with bubble bath. I quite like the concept of the fountains but share concerns already flagged about cost of maintenance. Its always good to see more trees in the city centre. I would have liked to have seen a large lawn incorporated where people say sit down in the sun. Apart from around the Cathedral the city centre is seriously lacking green space.
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:02 PM   #45
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Think of the military parades, armed forces day, remembrance Sunday etc.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:08 PM   #46
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 19131

From the 27 June the area of Broad Street between Paradise Queensway and Bridge Street will be known as Centenary Square.

Untitled by metrogogo, on Flickr
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:36 PM   #47
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 899

They'll need to rename Paradise Circus Queensway too - as it's not a 'Circus' anymore. I think the same applies to St Martin's too.
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:45 PM   #48
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Not sure why you need another cafe when you include the one at the library that fronts the square and the terrace to the front of the Rep. I think 3 cafes is a bit over kill.
True, but it's more about creating an additional feature in the square (the pavilion itself could be a work of art) and maintaining vibrancy in the square too. Sited centrally, nr Broad Street, would give customers great views of the entire square and create variety in the pedestrian movement. Admittedly, a completed Arena Central/Tram Stop will help in this regard also.

Let's also not forget how many cafes and eateries surround the central square in Brindleyplace - maybe you can't have enough?
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:57 PM   #49
cmpd1

Likes (Received): 272

What the design needs to do is somehow blend together the buildings, which are in a hodge-podge of different styles. More than anything, the square needs to have life in it. The buzz of people going by. That's why I like the new, big "corner" entrance to New Street station on Stephenson Place - you have a sense that this is where it's at with the trams trundling past and a steady flow of movement.
cmpd1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:18 PM   #50
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalVernacular View Post
They'll need to rename Paradise Circus Queensway too - as it's not a 'Circus' anymore. I think the same applies to St Martin's too.
When they got rid of St Martin's Circus Queensway the replacement from New Street Station to under the Bullring became just St Martin's Queensway.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 05:41 PM   #51
miniwilko

Likes (Received): 146

The poles look like they are going to be used for illumination purposes which could be nice but I agree they definitely block the view. If the poles are a nice visual feature it would be nice to get a rooftop bar or restaurant somewhere near the square perhaps in one of the new Paradise blocks.

I agree there could be a clash of too many cafes but like someone said the one in Brindley place works on two levels of being a work of art and a cafe. Something like that would have complimented the square. The square seems to be devoid of art on the side where the water feature is and would look much better if they had a competition to bring in a nice sculpture or bring back the old fountain which used to be on the square.
miniwilko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 07:22 PM   #52
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Indicative plans for new Copthorne include rooftop restaurant / bar.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM

miniwilko liked this post
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #53
cmpd1

For ref, the runners-up on the shortlist are here:

http://www.ribacompetitions.com/cent...shortlist.html

cyril sneer, miniwilko liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:45 PM   #54
cyril sneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpd1 View Post
For ref, the runners-up on the shortlist are here:

http://www.ribacompetitions.com/cent...shortlist.html
I prefer the Atkins proposal.

SimonTheSoundMan liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:48 PM   #55
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
I prefer the Atkins proposal.
You want more grey in the city centre? The tram route is bad enough. Stephenson street is an awful, miserable looking street.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:57 PM   #56
cyril sneer

Its got more greenary than the winning Graeme Massie proposal and I prefer the landscaping around the Hall of Memory, plus there is less clutter without those stupid flagpoles.

Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:13 AM   #57
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
I don't understand the need for the flagpoles creating unnecessary clutter. What is their exact purpose? Its not overly clear what they are.
Lighting, power columns (for markets etc.) and cctv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalVernacular View Post
True, but it's more about creating an additional feature in the square (the pavilion itself could be a work of art) and maintaining vibrancy in the square too. Sited centrally, nr Broad Street, would give customers great views of the entire square and create variety in the pedestrian movement. Admittedly, a completed Arena Central/Tram Stop will help in this regard also.

Let's also not forget how many cafes and eateries surround the central square in Brindleyplace - maybe you can't have enough?
Theres only 3 (2 until very recently) around Brindleyplace, 1 pavilion and 2 shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpd1 View Post
What the design needs to do is somehow blend together the buildings, which are in a hodge-podge of different styles. More than anything, the square needs to have life in it. The buzz of people going by. That's why I like the new, big "corner" entrance to New Street station on Stephenson Place - you have a sense that this is where it's at with the trams trundling past and a steady flow of movement.
The documents submitted explain this and how the design tries to react to these issues in terms of people flow etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwilko View Post
The poles look like they are going to be used for illumination purposes which could be nice but I agree they definitely block the view. If the poles are a nice visual feature it would be nice to get a rooftop bar or restaurant somewhere near the square perhaps in one of the new Paradise blocks.
There are a limited number of poles in front of the library. I believe 4 rows are removed from the front of the library.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Last edited by djay; June 3rd, 2016 at 12:20 AM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:15 PM   #58
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

The cafe in the library and the Starbucks in the ICC do not provide the function that this square needs from a cafe, which is to bring life to the square, preventing it from being an enormous glorified walkway. The Costa at Brindley Place - smack bang in the middle - does provide this function by making the square... functional. But that square is a lot smaller, obviously more than a cafe is needed in this instance.

As for the poles, I don't think any justification provided makes them any less grotesque or unnecessary.
Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 01:08 PM   #59
cmpd1

And you can see all the other crazy entries here:

http://www.ribacompetitions.com/cent...e/entries.html
Old June 3rd, 2016, 01:16 PM   #60
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 819

I think this looks awesome. Just saying

Lots of greenery, almost a park feel, to break up the vast open space we have at present. Lovely colours of trees and will look stunning in autumn. The Library is an attractive interesting building but how it interacts at ground level is awful, windswept open and stark, this will create interest and will encourage people to meander.

Not sure about the poles but the water feature is nice enough, it almost has a park or arboretum feel.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement