Centenary Square Revamp | Broad Street | Public Square | U/C. - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #81
CityHub

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post

Looks good with all the awesome fountains

Rijowhite liked this post
CityHub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2017, 01:14 AM   #82
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj View Post
Appalling PR if you ask me: just read the comments section of the Telegraph. BCC expect me to believe that the Metro was never the reason for the proposal to cut down the tree? BCC are using the tragedy of Berlin to solve a tree problem. I'm disgusted.

Was being facetious, BCC utilising the situation as a means to an end...
That said, the tree for all its grandeur, would be out of place in the newly designed square in my opinion.
There are plenty of new trees planned for the square, and though they won't be up to much at the start, in 10-15 years, the trees maybe the main focus of the square.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #83
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 474

I don't see why they can't move the tree. There's no argument that it's historically significant.
They'll be digging up the square and road anyway so unless I'm missing something bleeding obvious I don't see why it can't be repositioned somewhere more befitting relatively easily elsewhere in the redeveloped square.

miniwilko, BlackCountryAl liked this post

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; January 12th, 2017 at 02:38 AM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #84
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
...the tree for all its grandeur, would be out of place in the newly designed square in my opinion.
There are plenty of new trees planned for the square, and though they won't be up to much at the start, in 10-15 years, the trees maybe the main focus of the square.
Exactly. The way I see it, the fundamental reason to remove the tree is not the Metro, not possible terrorism, but the design integrity of the revamped square.

The Telegraph piece rather gives the impression that an old tree is going to be chopped down and replaced by an ugly concrete barrier. But the essence of good design is to take on board practicalities like making public events safe from a Nice/Berlin-style attack and incorporate them into an aesthetic solution. Had it not been flagged up at this stage I doubt many people would have looked at the finished square and said "I bet those benches were put there to stop a lorry being driven into the square."

It's always a pity to see trees disappear, but this isn't even the case that's upset me most. Over in Southside, in the pedestrian route through the Southside housing development , ALL the trees have recently been stripped out. It's ruined one of my favourite recent bits of Birmingham, and not a peep out of the Birmingham Mail. At least on Broad Street we'll eventually end up with more trees.

citywatcher01 liked this post
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #85
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

Another look at the London Plane Tree from the Discovery Terrace at the Library of Birmingham.

Nessyjord liked this post
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #86
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1576

Im not convinced by the redevelopment of this square, its just over engineered rubbish as usual.

Cant we just have something similar to George Square in Glasgow? Nice chunk of grass, some nice trees, planters and benches, is that so much to ask for?

Could even have a Nelsons Colum structure here as a feature, similar to what was proposed here before the war. I just don't understand why we insist on creating these weird squares with odd features, clearly the council don't go by the "less is more" mentality.

Greenplaces, morestoreysplease liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #87
Greenplaces

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
Im not convinced by the redevelopment of this square, its just over engineered rubbish as usual.

Cant we just have something similar to George Square in Glasgow? Nice chunk of grass, some nice trees, planters and benches, is that so much to ask for?

Could even have a Nelsons Colum structure here as a feature, similar to what was proposed here before the war. I just don't understand why we insist on creating these weird squares with odd features, clearly the council don't go by the "less is more" mentality.
Can't agree more. The moment I saw the new image for Calthorpe's New Garden Square, I thought why can't we have something similar at Centenary Square where during warm sunny periods, people who work,live or visit the area can sit and relax in a relaxing and uplifting green space.

Centenary Square could have been split into two distinctive but connected greens surrounded by beautiful trees.

We only have to see Cathedral Square to know how popular a green space with seating and "seatable" grass can be.

Centenary Square for the people of Birmingham and not just for the convenience of conventions.

Also, in the absence of sufficient beautiful architecture or stunning artwork to hold the attention of the eye, the balance between hard and soft landscaping is all the more critical otherwise the space, as it does now, and will probably do so after the revamp, looks and feels barron and souless so much so that few feel the desire to stick around. We will have enough well to do business that can contribute to the upkeep of a more green square.

This area is crying out for a major piece of artwork like the Chicago Cloud or the Horse's Head Marble Arch London or a Birmingham appropriate sculpture that uses the same technique applied in sculpting the Kelpies sculpture.

Come on Brum, this was once (and probably still is)the most innovative engineering place on earth. That innovation was inspired by a whole lot of imagination. Please let us apply that same degree of imagination to our shared public spaces. I know it is not too much to ask for a relatively simple green space with a stunning piece of artwork in the centre.

Or alternatively, given this region's history, why not make this the city that celebrates this nations scientific and engineering goliaths in a "Path of Legends" that runs throughout central Brum celebrating these people and their achievements?

(P.S. Am I living in La La Land to ask for a thrilling place called the "National Science and Engineering Museum" to be created and based in central Birmingham?)

Last edited by Greenplaces; January 26th, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Greenplaces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #88
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2112

It's a great time to be celebrating the man who invented plastic!

What I would like to see is some statues of horses along the canal side as if they are tugging along a narrow boat.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #89
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 19093

The London Plane Tree faces the chop today, as part of a plan to widen a redesigned Centenary Square.

London Plane Tree by metrogogo, on Flickr

London Plane Tree by metrogogo, on Flickr

BIRMINGHAM on the URBAN PHOTO THREAD: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2016987

ellbrown, AbidM liked this post
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #90
JRB1234

Likes (Received): 514

When I went past here yesterday Metro the tree was surrounded by metal hoardings. Thought they were starting utility works for the metro but must be for the tree instead.

Such a shame the tree has to go, I just hope that when the square/metro are done that it will have been worth it.
JRB1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #91
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Horsencart's photos from yesterday

Links:

https://flic.kr/p/SmGpky

https://flic.kr/p/SeaeJ8

https://flic.kr/p/R8E2W9

https://flic.kr/p/SbABJE

ITV News Central http://www.itv.com/news/central/2017...ree-has-begun/

Andy Bevan
https://twitter.com/andybevanitv/sta...12624720322561

Quote:
Historic 100+ year-old tree in Birmingham's Broad St being felled despite campaign to save it.

Old February 25th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #92
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14409

Terrible the amount of lies told about cutting this tree down.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #93
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

The tree is now a stump. Photos later.
Old February 25th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #94
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17072

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
The tree is now a stump. Photos later.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #95
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17072

To the person at BCC who gave permission for this deserves a

morestoreysplease liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #96
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2134

Despite loving old trees, I think this would look odd on its own with the new square planted with dozens of young trees, which, given 10 years WILL change the face of the square to the good.
I'm rather confused why it had to come down right now though? is the square reconstruction imminent? ...... certainly didn't need to be felled for the metro for a good while yet!
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #97
JRB1234

Likes (Received): 514

They probably wanted to get the tree down quickly Nigeman to stop the campaign to save it dragging on and on giving the Council even more bad publicity lol.
JRB1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #98
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

By 3pm when I got to Broad Street (in the rain) the tree had gone! Nothing more than a stump!

The Real Family statue can now see Boulton, Watt and Murdoch without the tree in the way!

Birds eye view from the Discovery Terrace

Donald Stump!

The whole of Arena Central without the tree in the way!

ROYAL BLUE, Develo liked this post
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:16 AM   #99
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
Despite loving old trees, I think this would look odd on its own with the new square planted with dozens of young trees, which, given 10 years WILL change the face of the square to the good.

I totally agree. I love trees but I don't think this is a good example of one that should be singled out for preservation.

It's on its own in a very awkward position.

Trees look good when they are equally spaced out on each side of long roads. Bristol Road is a good example. Pall Mall is another.

Lots of great trees have been felled in Moseley over the past few years. They were worth protesting over.

Billsmothers liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #100
GregglesUK

Likes (Received): 958

The revamp of this square on the whole looks good apart from the army of 25m tall lamps! I wonder if they might build it and think 'well that was a stupid idea' and get rid of some / all of them!? If the rest of the materials are good it wouldn't be that difficult to change the lights at least. Either way I'm excited to see the impact of this once it's complete. It will be a talking point at least and anything to get rid of the block paving.

ell1 liked this post
GregglesUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement