Symphony Hall | Centenary Square | Renovation | 5fl | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2018, 03:38 PM   #41
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7691

Bump

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...evamp-14130321
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2018, 06:05 PM   #42
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14393

Quote:
New Project: Birmingham Symphony Hall

We are thrilled to have been successful in the competition to lead a design team in the foyer redevelopment at Birmingham Symphony Hall. This is a remarkable project addressing the newly emerging Centenary Sq. in the heart of Birmingham. Our design team includes ARUP, Max Fordham and Churchman Landscape Architects. Full press release below:

Town Hall Symphony Hall is delighted to announce the appointment of Page \ Park Architects as Multi-Disciplinary Design Team lead for a proposed £12-million foyer development, opening the building onto a regenerated Centenary Square and reinforcing Symphony Hall’s place in Birmingham city life.

Widely considered one of the finest Concert Halls in the world, Symphony Hall sits in the bustling heart of Birmingham City Centre and as well as being home to the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra also hosts the best in jazz, world music, folk, rock, pop and stand-up comedy. Last year alone saw performances from Sir Van Morrison, Tony Bennett, Kraftwerk, Robert Plant CBE and Idina Menzel.

Nick Reed, Chief Executive Offer for Town Hall Symphony Hall said:

“This project will finally give Symphony Hall the foyers and public spaces to match its world class auditorium. Boasting a much improved audience experience and a dedicated entrance, this permeable space will be energised with new artistic adventures, creating a sustainable future for Symphony Hall, and developing an audience that looks like the city it serves: young, diverse and creative.

Page \ Park have presented some inspiring ideas on how the building can help achieve our objectives and we look forward to now working with them to develop the detailed design.

We are very grateful for the early encouragement offered by both the GBSLEP Local Growth Fund and the Arts Council of England and we are now preparing final funding bids with both bodies.”

Along with Town Hall, Symphony Hall plays an important role in the life of the region – connecting over 15,000 young people and adults to a world of music and performance through education, community and talent development projects - and is regularly used for community events, graduation ceremonies and conferences.

David Page, Head of Architecture said:

“Birmingham’s Centenary Square is being transformed into a remarkable heart of the city with its assembly of important civic cultural buildings. The new Symphony Hall frontage will provide a multi levelled balcony to that new setting and Page \ Park are delighted to be able to shape that contribution.”

The project is conditionally supported through the Local Growth Fund by the Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership.

Roger Mendonca, Director, Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBSLEP), said:

“For more than 25 years, the Symphony Hall has been a major draw for Greater Birmingham and Solihull, entertaining audiences in one of the finest concert auditoriums in the world.

“GBSLEP’s contribution to the Symphony Hall is part of our commitment to sustaining the region’s cultural and tourism offer, coming hot on the heels of Birmingham’s 2022 Commonwealth Games prize and nearby Coventry’s 2021 City of Culture win. By supporting the venue’s extension, we are ensuring that the Symphony Hall transforms its commercial offer, generates new jobs and enhances the experience of its many visitors.”
http://pagepark.co.uk/news/new-proje...-symphony-hall
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 10:14 PM   #43
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1597

I have some detailed floor plans too, and one internal render.

They're preliminary, but they seem keen, they also want it done before 2020. without stopping performances.

sefton66, Kingsheathen, miniwilko liked this post
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #44
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamBadger View Post

I have some detailed floor plans too, and one internal render.

They're preliminary, but they seem keen, they also want it done before 2020. without stopping performances.
I really like it!! Hopefully they don’t get rid of the light up sign

Spread liked this post
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 10:30 PM   #45
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 530

Its interesting. Wonder what the proposed materials are?
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 10:55 PM   #46
BhamBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatcher01 View Post
Its interesting. Wonder what the proposed materials are?

Clear glass, and they seemed to imply the same material as the rest of the building.

Also hints at trying to develop a Broad Street entrance

citywatcher01 liked this post
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 11:10 PM   #47
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4534

Pleased to hear they may want to develop a Broad Street entrance as that section is the worst part of the entire road for me.

I like the rest of what they're suggesting. I love curves in buildings.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 11:19 PM   #48
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2112

The canopy needs to go.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:31 AM   #49
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2131

I must be in a negative mood tonight, am I the only one who doesn't like this one bit, it looks like the old demolished library entrance.
. I love the current windows looking out onto the square. The main problem for me as always been the Broad Street facade.
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:19 AM   #50
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
I must be in a negative mood tonight, am I the only one who doesn't like this one bit, it looks like the old demolished library entrance.
. I love the current windows looking out onto the square. The main problem for me as always been the Broad Street facade.
Yeah I prefer what we already have.

Kingsheathen, Internal Exile liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:53 AM   #51
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

It's not doing it for me either. The way the glazing finishes when it wraps around the corner looks rubbish.
This strikes me of spending money in the wrong place and to me it just looks a bit arbitrary and obvious. They need to work with the canopy or replace it.
Agree completely about the broad street elevation and the service yard by the canal seems prime real estate and a massive missed opportunity too.

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; March 28th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:25 PM   #52
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

Also, wrapping the glazing around the corner makes much more sense and gives it the floating box effect like the library and potentially a proper Broad Street frontage.

Biosonic liked this post

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; March 28th, 2018 at 12:37 PM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:39 PM   #53
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5829

As a separate piece I like it and have no issues with it, nice design actually. But I've always been fond of what's already there and wouldn't like to see that change, it's quite a classy exterior and goes well with the Hyatt.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

Kingsheathen liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 01:38 PM   #54
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 931

It looks like a 1970's Leisure Centre...

Tudor Grange Swimming Baths springs to mind, or that one in Sutton Coldfield where Boldmere swim that I can't remember the name of.....

1874, U475 Foxtrot liked this post
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #55
create streets

Likes (Received): 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
As a separate piece I like it and have no issues with it, nice design actually. But I've always been fond of what's already there and wouldn't like to see that change, it's quite a classy exterior and goes well with the Hyatt.
Completely agree.

I really like the existing so this just seems completely unecessary.

Could the Broad Street elevation be better? Of course. But to my mind there is no reason that this could not be achieved in tandem with internal reconfiguration / improvements while maintaining the existing Centenary Square frontage which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. This is just so typical of Birmingham's complete inability to preserve existing positive aspects of the city in a constant attempt at reinvention. Frustrating.
Old March 28th, 2018, 03:17 PM   #56
BhamBadger

Some of the core issues with the Symphony Hall currently:

It doesn't have an entrance.
It doesn't have a lobby.
It doesn't have adequare bar provisions.
It doesn't serve food.

To address lots of their issues, they need some more space, and I beleive that the only way is to expand outwards.

I quite like the proposed design, thought I do lament the loss of the windows which I loved.
Old March 28th, 2018, 03:25 PM   #57
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 810

wtf.quoted Bde's earlier post and both are gone???

Doh! They're in BDT 49...
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 01:15 PM   #58
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

App in for new ICC signage around the main entrance. Looks like we could be seeing the Symphony Hall app in soon.

Quote:
Application Number 2018/03665/PA
Application Type Advertisement
Site Address International Convention Centre 8 Centenary Square City Centre Birmingham B1 2EA
Proposal Display of 3 internally illuminated fascia signs and 1 externally illuminated projecting sign
https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/...NNING&XMLSIDE=

Kingsheathen liked this post
Old June 7th, 2018, 11:05 PM   #59
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

I hope they make a good job of this ......

Belfast's Waterfront Hall used to look like this below when in first opened .....

..... and then they added the extension below.

A lesson for the architects of the new Symphony Hall frontage.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 11:09 PM   #60
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

I don't know if you're being serious Blasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement