St Luke's | Sherlock Street | Residential | 15/7/4/3fl | 46m | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #21
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4523

No you`re right djay. I was quite worried about what they`d propose.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #22
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 810

If you wanna know how ancient I am,I watched the Middleway being constructed- and all the tower blocks that have now gone.

We used to run through the giant drainage/sewer pipes before they were buried.

Simple pleasures.

(if even half of these proposals get built I'll be surprised.ats.)

Sandblast liked this post
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #23
ComPurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE51GNR View Post

Am I right in thinking this DOESN'T include the areas within the red boundary?
I like the curved structure top-right!
The oddly-shaped 'curved' cream claw top-right appears to straddle the Gooch Street/Horton Square end of St.Lukes Road,block it off,even?

In the Sixties/early Seventies my mates and I called that 'The Back Grass' behind the now-demolished Maisonettes.It was our astroturf for many a kickabout-a nearby washing area being a floodlit hard-surface training ground.

Oim blubbin now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #24
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2122

I really like the Bristol Street massing, will create an impressive gateway coming down Bristol Road with Park Central opposite. Not keen on the low level housing in the middle that looks like the typical council estate that's just been flattened. If they turn out like the new housing in Lozell's well maybe it won't be so bad. Would have loved to see a stylish "regency" style element here, behind that impressive frontage. However no doubt this is partly about delivering as many houses as possible for the housing shortage and within budget guidelines.
Can't see any commercial/retail element which a development this size surely needs now Tesco and Asda have pulled their plans.
As we move towards town we are going to have the Monaco House development as well as the similar sized recently announced scheme between Bromsgrove Street and seven capital's Madison House, quite literally thousands of new homes and people. Would have thought one of those supermarket schemes would have been viable, now we have such a huge residential element building up here?

ComPurch, Brum X liked this post
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #25
ComPurch

There is always that vacant plot between the Stone Road YWCA and McDonalds.
Nice Aldi could slip in there.
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #26
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14392

Coming to think of it, this is like a continuation of Park Central, I think they've done well with the smaller houses, it is needed this close to the City Centre I think. I see no problems after looking through the D&A Statment, but I can see them coming into major problems with demolishing the church.

The only thing I'd say is the Belgrave roundabout struggles as it is, something needs to be done there.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #27
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1576

Not particularly impressed. 3 storey Townhouses within the Ring Road are not acceptable, especially with gardens. And the poor church, I always felt it would make such a great pub.

Kingsheathen, o'flaneurie liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #28
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1597

I really do love that church. Always smiled when I walked past it.

I like the houses. I think houses are important and gardens are important. But they are quite generous gardens and in the wrong place.

Love the taller blocks, Would rather have seen a continuation of the taller blocks but with communal gardens.
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #29
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1576

We need to get out of this habit of including houses in these schemes, European cities can be quite dense over a large area. But houses should not be built anywhere within the ring road if we want to compete with the big boys, and we really need to do better than this.

I can just envision it now, lots of brick walls which will be vandalised in the first 6 months.

Kingsheathen liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #30
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComPurch View Post
If you wanna know how ancient I am,I watched the Middleway being constructed- and all the tower blocks that have now gone.

We used to run through the giant drainage/sewer pipes before they were buried.

Simple pleasures.

(if even half of these proposals get built I'll be surprised.ats.)
Hey, I thought I was the oldest on here!!!

ComPurch liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #31
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Hey, I thought I was the oldest on here!!!
You cant be far behind ?

Sandblast liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #32
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Likes (Received): 522

Can't imagine having gardens overlooked by such a large amount of flats (sorry apartments!) is a a good idea. Who is going to keep them neat and tidy? I could imagine a barking dog would really get an echo going and you can rule out naturist society BBQ's.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Kingsheathen, Nessyjord liked this post
Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #33
daniboy173

Likes (Received): 149

This is terrible but knew it would be. It's not one thing nor another. Trying to be the jack of all but mastering none. Forget the houses with gardens, keep the church and build only mid to high rise around the church as a feature and focus on the strengths that already exist. The proposed design will just be another bland cut off useless area of the city.

Nessyjord liked this post
daniboy173 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #34
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Likes (Received): 522

There is a brilliant blueprint on how to do it just across the road. Surprised they didn't consider a communal central green space with the church as a focus at the end as a community hub or similar. In fact where is the green space?

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

o'flaneurie, Nessyjord liked this post
Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #35
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamBadger View Post
I like the houses. I think houses are important and gardens are important. But they are quite generous gardens and in the wrong place.
The gardens are about 10m. The minimum allowed by policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
There is a brilliant blueprint on how to do it just across the road. Surprised they didn't consider a communal central green space with the church as a focus at the end as a community hub or similar. In fact where is the green space?
Loads of green space, the green space meets the required policy standards and includes a playing field. There is a whole football pitch too and a linear green walkway that links to the river area.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #36
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5821

The church is still in use isn't it? I'd rather they keep it. I do like the scheme though.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #37
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

It was St Luke's Church. Later it became the "The Redeemed Christian Church of God". It's not listed.

Old March 20th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #38
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

To be fair its pretty grim around here at the moment. I would have preferred to see a continuation of the Park Central style (central swathe of park) rather than the very suburban looking housing with neat high-fenced rectangular gardens. Looks like its more suited to some out of town estate rather than inner city. But on the other hand it doesn't warrant huge apartment blocks.

It's very 'meh' to me.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #39
daniboy173

Likes (Received): 149

If this gets passed then it just shows how Bham has no hope. Sold its soul to the devil of blandness. Complete lack of imagination as per usual. Are these plans drawn by robots or people!? Bludy awful
daniboy173 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:12 AM   #40
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17004

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboy173 View Post
If this gets passed then it just shows how Bham has no hope. Sold its soul to the devil of blandness. Complete lack of imagination as per usual. Are these plans drawn by robots or people!? Bludy awful
Just becouse you may not like it, each to there own. But please please do not rubbish the whole city just becouse of one development that does not meet your ambition. Stuff like Smithfield should be how you judge the ambition of this city and we have yet to see detailed proposals for this site.

ROYAL BLUE liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement