St Luke's | Sherlock Street | Residential | 15/7/4/3fl | 46m | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2017, 06:23 PM   #61
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
That large parkland has always been there.
There is a path with trees from the subway which used to run between a council tower block and the college campus. the rest of the 'parkland' was green space around the tower blocks. Hardly parkland
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2017, 07:50 PM   #62
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

That parkland is much bigger than people realise and a lot of it will be lost here.

I think both the church and more parkland could be retained on a reworked plan and retain the same quantity of development

The Church frames the width of the current park at its western end and this should follow at a similar width through the centre f the development instead of the current much reduced width.

Agree that Park Central also lost a lot of greenspace which is regrettable but by inference I could say all the more reason as much of this needs retaining as possible. In the other way what Park Central got permission for 15 gears ago and our adjugemet of the current application are not relevant here.. the application stands.or falls on its own merits

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!

Biosonic liked this post
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:00 PM   #63
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2077

As others have already said this isn't park land. It's just the landscaping that used to surround the tower blocks.

I've been told that areas like this are called 'green deserts' because no one goes in them. They feel unsafe because they are overlooked so they end up deserted.

I've never seen anyone using this area as a park or an amenity space.

djay, DBadger, ReissOmari liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2017, 09:21 PM   #64
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1957

Keep the church and build this design pretty much around it. Good to see movement on this corner at long last though.
Old March 21st, 2017, 09:38 PM   #65
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14385

I don't get some people moaning when Park Central is within the ring road and pretty much the same density and 2/3 storey houses, I like Park Central but some of the houses look like sheds, the brick looks much better within St. Lukes.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.47...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...907318!6m1!1e1

As I said earlier I see no problem with St Lukes or its location.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:01 PM   #66
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Aghh Ralph guy you could have kept to the format of the titles used, Reiss is going to go into OCD overdrive

Another issue, and possible solution to the church problem.
We now know of the dangers of living so close to a main road - increased risk of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia by up to 12%, respiratory problems, etc.

At present, a large proportion of properties front Bristol Road / Middleway - exactly where the highest levels of noxious gasses will be. Why not create a green woodland buffer along these two frontages, keeping the Church as a Church and/or community centre, then building behind, stepping upwards the further back you get.

Interesting read: Clicky.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Biosonic, 1874 liked this post

Last edited by Bugbyte; March 21st, 2017 at 10:07 PM.
Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:05 AM   #67
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4513

I agree with Reiss. For once.

Personally, I`d like to have seen higher apartment blocks along that initial stretch of Belgrave Middleway, opposite the OPAL student block, and I`d have preferred heavier density three and four storey houses or apartments on the rest of the land where Matthew Boulton College used to be.

However, if you look at Park Central, as Reiss says, there are lots of examples of two and three storey houses throughout the development which people haven`t complained about before. I was a little disappointed about the two storey housing and four storey flats that went up in recent years, by Lee Bank Middleway, between the current phase and the school. The recent low rise housing on Rickman Drive between the budget hotel and the Mercian housing association properties was also a disappointment.

Furthermore, if you drive up Lee Bank Middleway, you will see that once you get past the eleven storeys currently being constructed in Phase 11, the height then drops quite quickly to five storeys, four storeys and two storeys before you reach the school. The proposed Barratt development basically suggests the same by dropping from eleven storeys on the corner of Bristol St down to four storeys along that stretch of Belgrave Middleway.

As far as the green space goes, someone else has already said that much of it was where the Matthew Boulton College and the now demolished tower blocks were, so I think the current proposals are adequate.

I gotta say that the future of the church doesn`t really bother me. Perhaps they could have worked around it but as the youngsters say today, meh!

So, as I`ve said before, I was very worried about what Barratts would build here but I actually feel quite relieved with what is actually being proposed.

It`s interesting to see that The Birmingham Post haven`t picked up on this proposed scheme yet. I always thought they used SSC as a reference point but obviously not. Must have just been coincidences in the past.

ReissOmari liked this post

Last edited by RalphGuy; March 22nd, 2017 at 10:07 AM.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:18 AM   #68
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
Why not create a green woodland buffer along these two frontages, keeping the Church as a Church and/or community centre, then building behind, stepping upwards the further back you get.
I actually really like that idea. So the church would become the focal point of the development and community. What strikes me as most odd, is the tiny gardens some of the houses have been given. Perhaps if they got rid of these and moved the green space to Bugbytes "buffer zone" we could see more higher density housing??

I'm no architect, and so I can't talk with any experience or conviction on town planning. But I just find it sad that the city seems willing to get rid of an attractive old church for what seems to be simply a gap between the two taller elements.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:46 AM   #69
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Oxford Dictionary

Quote:
Parkland: Open grassy land with scattered groups of trees.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:50 AM   #70
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4513

Yes but all that green space was only there because of the demolition of buildings with the intent to redevelop the land in the future. It was not land that was set aside to be green space permanently.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:01 PM   #71
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

There has been a central spine of parkland through this area for decades. True it wasn't used fully and felt dangerous but that is because of poor urban design and planning and not because it was parkland.

Some of the main piece of parkland is being retained (north of the church). Good urban design principles say keep the assets you already have, Unfortunately they are also repeating some of the mistakes of the past by not overlooking the linear park, nothing on the ground floor of apartment blocks, cul de sacs

Last edited by Biosonic; April 21st, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM   #72
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 809

The 'cream' block building on the bend of St Lukes Road appears to mean the demolition of that which is there presently-which has had numerous Council uses...

I have two OS map photocopies from the old Central Library Local Studies which (in 1904 and 1916) list the building as 'Children's Emigration Homes.'

I need hardly mention how much that subject has been in the news recently.

Distressing,but if you Google,the destinations of Canada and Australia feature very prominently...

Last edited by ComPurch; March 22nd, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:14 PM   #73
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1576

I can moan, I was barely old enough to pay much attention when Park Central was going up. I like Park Central, but its not great, and this is mainly down to the houses, it creates large brick alleyways. Park Central was a good practice run for such developments though, we should be learning from it though and upping our game every single time, this is a step backwards in my eyes.

Biosonic liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:42 PM   #74
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
I actually really like that idea. So the church would become the focal point of the development and community. What strikes me as most odd, is the tiny gardens some of the houses have been given. Perhaps if they got rid of these and moved the green space to Bugbytes "buffer zone" we could see more higher density housing??
Gardens are required to be (from memory) 10sqm. Apartments i believe are required to have amenity space also but i'm not sure how much.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:04 AM   #75
daumal

Likes (Received): 580

Gardens within the ring road should be banned altogether.
As revealed to St John the Divine.

Kingsheathen, daniboy173 liked this post
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:04 PM   #76
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
It`s interesting to see that The Birmingham Post haven`t picked up on this proposed scheme yet. I always thought they used SSC as a reference point but obviously not. Must have just been coincidences in the past.
Perhaps anyone at the Post who used to monitor SSC has been made redundant, like most P&M journalists.
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:15 PM   #77
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...plans-12784670

BP finally gets its act together
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:29 PM   #78
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 809

The building I mentioned yesterday,apparently slated for demolition, is The Highgate Centre. Given its ignominious early history,if ever there was a plot of land which should be used for the * benefit * of children.

btw.*interesting* entries for its address of 157 St Luke's Road B5 7DA on Endole website...

Last edited by ComPurch; March 24th, 2017 at 02:30 PM.
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #79
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3656

Campaigners battle to save historic Birmingham church

Conservation campaigners are calling for Barratt Homes to halt plans to demolish the church and former orphanage as part of major new housing estate
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #80
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

That was the old Hebrew School building until the mid 1960s.

It was a school from 1934 to the 1960s

o'flaneurie liked this post

Last edited by ellbrown; April 13th, 2017 at 10:52 AM.
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement