Onyx | Lancaster Circus | Student Accommodation | 24fl | 76m | U/C - Page 19 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2019, 11:35 PM   #361
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5839

Any plans to ever get rid of the flyover?

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2019, 10:15 PM   #362
Ridge Heath

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
I think it would be absolute suicide if they did remove the Lancaster Circus grade separation - because the city is already gridlocked with enough traffic on at-grade traffic-controlled junctions as it is. There are proposals to remodel all the roundabouts on the eastern side of Middleway Ring Road to accommodate the HS2, when clearly, if there was funding for it, some grade separation (creating underpasses for ring road traffic beneath the roundabouts) would have been a better solution to prevent snarl ups at these points.

As they are now determined to remove Perry Barr flyover - creating two years of disruption in the process - it seems the highways chiefs are quite keen to remove or downgrade every last trace of the city's highways and expressways, regardless of whether they work or not.

BhamJim, junxs, ReissOmari liked this post
Ridge Heath no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 10:28 PM   #363
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1983

As trains and trams use flyovers why the need to remove them for road users?
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2019, 08:58 AM   #364
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Heath View Post
I think it would be absolute suicide if they did remove the Lancaster Circus grade separation - because the city is already gridlocked with enough traffic on at-grade traffic-controlled junctions as it is. There are proposals to remodel all the roundabouts on the eastern side of Middleway Ring Road to accommodate the HS2, when clearly, if there was funding for it, some grade separation (creating underpasses for ring road traffic beneath the roundabouts) would have been a better solution to prevent snarl ups at these points.

As they are now determined to remove Perry Barr flyover - creating two years of disruption in the process - it seems the highways chiefs are quite keen to remove or downgrade every last trace of the city's highways and expressways, regardless of whether they work or not.
Define 'work'? St Chads, Paradise etc. The city is OK without these and yet forums were full of people crying mayhem and disaster.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 11:46 AM   #365
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Heath View Post

Sometimes I think the only way the people in this city are ever going to embrace the modal shift that we need to make the city centre a more pleasant place as well as combat climate catastrophe is if driving is made utterly unbearable. No more carrot, only stick.
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 02:41 PM   #366
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14437

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfsnow View Post
Sometimes I think the only way the people in this city are ever going to embrace the modal shift that we need to make the city centre a more pleasant place as well as combat climate catastrophe is if driving is made utterly unbearable. No more carrot, only stick.
I'm sure this effects public transport no? As we've seen, closing roads in the City hasn't made anything better, it's just forced all cars on to the remaining open roads in the City.. I understand majority of this forum is anti car, but what happens when we switch to electric cars.. can't really use emissions etc as an excuse.

Anyways, we should see how the CAZ effects the City before removing roads for no reason. I don't think people understand that our roads aren't even bad when you consider cities like Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds and Glasgow that have motorways plowing through the middle of the City.. we're lucky enough to just have the Aston Expressway.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 04:01 PM   #367
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
I'm sure this effects public transport no? As we've seen, closing roads in the City hasn't made anything better, it's just forced all cars on to the remaining open roads in the City.. .
But those remaining roads aren't any more congested than they were when the roads were open. I've not noticed a significant regular issue with road. There is always traffic but things only get very bad when there is an issue with the MWay.

There are still some flash points in the city centre though but generally, it still takes the same amount of time to get through it as it did before (unless you knew some back routes and rat runs). I drive in the city daily too.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

jonfsnow, Kingsheathen liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 05:39 PM   #368
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
But those remaining roads aren't any more congested than they were when the roads were open. I've not noticed a significant regular issue with road. There is always traffic but things only get very bad when there is an issue with the MWay.

There are still some flash points in the city centre though but generally, it still takes the same amount of time to get through it as it did before (unless you knew some back routes and rat runs). I drive in the city daily too.
The two main roads that come to mind when thinking of congestion is Upper Dean Street (Soon to be turned into a bus only road) and Hill Street/Navigation Street (I think this is partly down to the Mailbox Zerba Crossing).. You are right in saying other roads haven't become more congested, but I think the Councils plan to rid cars out of the City hasn't worked. But there are simple things the council can do to help congestion in the City, and this starts with the timing of traffic lights, many traffic lights in the City have sensors, but they don't seem to be turned on, lets take Summer Row/Great Charles Street junction, this is a T junction, with one of the exits been bus only, for some reason these lights are on a 3 way sequence, which cause traffic to back both main routes which makes 0 sense to me, as both could be moving at the same time with the bus only exit been triggered only when a bus arrives at the lights!!

Another thing that irritates me, the closure of Moor Street car park exit, and the Digbeth Gyrotary, the closure of the latter has helped I must admit, but its more the way they have left both of them, really messy. 2015 both these roads were closed, transport should be ashamed of not finishing the job.

Anyways, road/car discussions always take a nasty turn on this forum, so lets get back to topic

metrogogo liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2019, 05:43 PM   #369
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3682

Quote:
Anyways, road/car discussions always take a nasty turn on this forum, so lets get back to topic
I'd rather talk about roads than this gopping building

ReissOmari, jonfsnow, Brum X liked this post
Bureau des etrangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 09:34 PM   #370
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
I'd rather talk about roads than this gopping building
Me too
Old August 23rd, 2019, 01:21 AM   #371
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Jeez I hope not!
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:10 PM   #373
Brum X

Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:15 PM   #374
Brum X

Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:34 PM   #375
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Beastly this! Still quite a way to go too.

GAZ liked this post
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:42 PM   #376
Brum X

Quote:
Beastly this! Still quite a way to go too.
I'm still confused with this building Reiss, in my photo's you can clearly see windows but where are they on the renders ?

I really cant work it out ???
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:43 PM   #377
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
I'm still confused with this building Reiss, in my photo's you can clearly see windows but where are they on the renders ?

I really cant work it out ???

Brum, honestly I couldn't tell you!

Brum X liked this post
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:27 PM   #378
Brum X

Quote:
Brum, honestly I couldn't tell you!
ROFL
Old September 22nd, 2019, 10:41 AM   #379
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2654

It’s not quite being built to the same look as the render.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 08:47 PM   #380
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
It’s not quite being built to the same look as the render.
omg, what do you mean djay. You mean we may get something different to the render ??
Advertisement