Onyx | Lancaster Circus | Student Accommodation | 24fl | 76m | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:59 AM   #41
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5819

http://paradisecircus.com/2013/09/02...of-birmingham/

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

Kingsheathen, rotundazag liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2017, 07:50 AM   #42
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

One of those Marmite moments I think. First impressions were quite positive, but looking at further renders it looks more like an afterthought of half-baked architectural ideas. As if someone has come along and done some fly-tipping of some quite irregular and not particularly pleasing-on-the-eye "stumpy" blocks!

Needs to be taller and streamlined. Still not overly sure about the colour-scheme either.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 09:46 AM   #43
Hugh90

Likes (Received): 63

I think as a student block it could have been much worse. Im still undecided about whether i like it or not, but I think it could possibly look better once built than in the renders.
Hugh90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:20 AM   #44
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3656

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Not bad, should breath some life into the surrounding area.
I sincerely hope it does. We seem to say this quite frequently about student accommodation, hoping that the students will bring new life to an area. But that can only happen if the bars, shops and cafes follow suit.

I think I'm on the fence with this design. It's great to see movement on a site that I was convinced would be derelict for decades, however, Twenty-four floors of jet black cladding is a bold move, especially combined with what seem to be rather small windows. On first appearance it reminds me of a black Alpha Tower, but with a rather poorly considered low rise block attached to it. Would much rather a bronze or copper coloured cladding.

Kingsheathen, rotundazag, Brum X liked this post
Bureau des etrangers está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:37 AM   #45
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I'm not sure about it overall I don't mind the colour but the tower is too bulky I think and the materials will make or break it. If it is like Hotel La tour then it will look good but if it is like Holiday Inn Express I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Lench Street appears to be an adopted road. I would assume the trees, this road and the subway are highway land. They are also outside the boundary of the application.

I would imagine that at some point before the Ring Road, Lench Street would have continued and connected to another road.

If it is highway land, i would have to change a possibly to a probably not as they will want to retain this land i would think.
Lench's Trust are one of the owners by the looks of it
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:31 AM   #46
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 816

I think this is fantastic and really hope it gets to happen.

Can't believe some people are moaning about this when you have monstrosities like Blandara Tower and Orion opposite each other right in the city centre.

Ppmb80, Spread liked this post
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:47 AM   #47
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
Can't believe some people are moaning about this when you have monstrosities like Blandara Tower and Orion opposite each other right in the city centre.
This forum would be awful if we agreed on everything Tony Bear.

Brum X liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:57 PM   #48
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
I think this is fantastic and really hope it gets to happen.

I must admit I agree with you on this....
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:53 PM   #49
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 528

The last post. Spot on
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 03:41 PM   #50
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 836

The area is definitely crying out for a proper skyscraper. For me there are fine lines here with regards to location, namely the inner ring road and the difference between University territory, Residential territory, and Commercial/Office territory. (obviously there's a blend amongst all of these, but generally speaking). This is not the place for 100ft+ and neither was the Central Fire Station IMO.

Looking at Reiss' original post #1 and the fourth picture down, I think the site most prime for a proper high rise is the former dental hospital, and perhaps later down the line, once the Children's hospital has been relocated, the site of the more recent teenage cancer building and A&E department.

Fingers crossed that by the time these developments come about, HS2 will be having a real impact and our planners and councillors have become a bit more adventurous and our investors have become a bit more demanding.

Brum X liked this post
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:44 PM   #51
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
The area is definitely crying out for a proper skyscraper. For me there are fine lines here with regards to location, namely the inner ring road and the difference between University territory, Residential territory, and Commercial/Office territory. (obviously there's a blend amongst all of these, but generally speaking). This is not the place for 100ft+ and neither was the Central Fire Station IMO.

Looking at Reiss' original post #1 and the fourth picture down, I think the site most prime for a proper high rise is the former dental hospital, and perhaps later down the line, once the Children's hospital has been relocated, the site of the more recent teenage cancer building and A&E department.

Fingers crossed that by the time these developments come about, HS2 will be having a real impact and our planners and councillors have become a bit more adventurous and our investors have become a bit more demanding.
I think it's all relative, not sure that's the right phrase, but areas which are fairly low rise like this, anything up to 100 metres will look very imposing, whereas the city centre would obviously be prime spot for skyscrapers as in most cities where land value is higher I would imagine.. But Brum really does now need one or two 150m ish buildings and it would be such a fantastic skyline, unlike cities like Manchester and London, Brum's city centre is quite compact, so it would have more of an effect. I look at Beetham Manchester and it just looks odd, same with Liverpool, and also clusters in London, we have the opportunity to have without doubt the most impressive skyline in Britain with just one or two really tall proposals along with what has already been approved. Would love to think BCC would do everything in their power to help make this happen if anything comes through and BHX would shut the f*ck up.

BhamJim, Kingsheathen, scsw liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:54 PM   #52
Brum X

Likes (Received): 16971

Quote:
I think it's all relative, not sure that's the right phrase, but areas which are fairly low rise like this, anything up to 100 metres will look very imposing, whereas the city centre would obviously be prime spot for skyscrapers as in most cities where land value is higher I would imagine.. But Brum really does now need one or two 150m ish buildings and it would be such a fantastic skyline, unlike cities like Manchester and London, Brum's city centre is quite compact, so it would have more of an effect. I look at Beetham Manchester and it just looks odd, same with Liverpool, and also clusters in London, we have the opportunity to have without doubt the most impressive skyline in Britain with just one or two really tall proposals along with what has already been approved. Would love to think BCC would do everything in their power to help make this happen if anything comes through and BHX would shut the f*ck up.

To my knowledge Tony Bear BHX have never stopped a tall building going up in Brum. However BCC have in the past, including the student tower that was planned for the old Fire station. 107 metres i think it was going to be. ;-(

citywatcher01 liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:17 PM   #53
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
To my knowledge Tony Bear BHX have never stopped a tall building going up in Brum. However BCC have in the past, including the student tower that was planned for the old Fire station. 107 metres i think it was going to be. ;-(
With how fast they started and completed the reduced Fire Station, I think we'd have a 107m tower here today.

A shame, I really liked the scheme.

Brum X liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #54
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2620

Quote:
That scheme was absolutely terrible. It paid no respect to such a significant building. What we have now is much better for the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
With how fast they started and completed the reduced Fire Station, I think we'd have a 107m tower here today.

A shame, I really liked the scheme.
Not particularly you but this comment made me think about how silly this forum is. Everyday someone will complain about the loss of an insignificant old looking building but then complain at about the Council for not approving something tall that was so detrimental (and in my option more detrimental than losing some old looking building) to this significant Grade II listed building.

It's a quirk of this forum that i will never understand, like blaming every that ever happens on the Council, like paving adjacent a building site not being perfectly level.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

BhamJim, Fidget808 liked this post

Last edited by djay; October 24th, 2017 at 12:26 AM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #55
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...udent-13801125

Update from the Post for the the proposed 1000+ student complex. There are no plans for onsite parking, but will allocate space for 250 odd bicycles.
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #56
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 530

I wonder like with Bristol st , Smallbrook queensway, and cannuaght sq towers if BCC may not ask them to look at increasing height here too ?
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #57
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

djay makes a really good point. That fire station tower went through a couple of designs didn't it? Both of them were awful and I'm very pleased they were rejected. For all of our moaning regarding the Council, they have a fine balance to meet. I actually think they do a good job.

BhamJim, morestoreysplease liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #58
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Quote:
I think Arena Central original scheme was called in by the government over height after 9/11, the first actual casualty of this was Beetham Tower which was reduced massively in height due to CAA rules which BCC enforced afaik?

Then CAA passed over decisions like this to BHX who were more supportive but this is why the High Places document was created which is now defunct. It stipulated an aerodrome over the city core and I think the approved height of AC Tower was the upper limit. But now people on here seem to be saying BHX are now getting tougher so once again, we have the potential for any tall proposal to be scrutinised.. I love the fact there is more concern over people in the air than those on the ground, what facilities does the city fire brigade have should one of these student talls catch fire? Maybe focus should be on cuts to the fire brigade instead. I just fail to see how or why BCC should have any height limit at all, the city centre is literally miles away from the airport, helicopters rarely fly low enough in the city centre because they don't need to, and again how do other city across the world cope.. do we have a load of clumsy morons flying around in Brum or something? No.. basically. It is hard enough to get a developer to build something tall and beautiful in this city as it is, we need as much enouragement as possible, it's hardly like we'll ever get a Shard or New York skyline so people should be sensible about decisions on height in a relatively small location.

Kingsheathen liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #59
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
That scheme was absolutely terrible. It paid no respect to such a significant building. What we have now is much better for the building.

Not particularly you but this comment made me think about how silly this forum is. Everyday someone will complain about the loss of an insignificant old looking building but then complain at about the Council for not approving something tall that was so detrimental (and in my option more detrimental than losing some old looking building) to this significant Grade II listed building.

It's a quirk of this forum that i will never understand, like blaming every that ever happens on the Council, like paving adjacent a building site not being perfectly level.
I appreciate and I am sure others appreciate BCC can't fix everything as they are such a huge cumbersome organisation, with little money, but there are many contradictory decisions and money wasted on ridiculous things like the big screen in the city centre which must have cost tens of thousands to erect then remove.. erstwhile one of the city's oldest pubs is left to rot in Cannon Hill Park. There is no respect for the city's heritage.

The Fire Station scheme was probably to tall but it didn't damage the building itself, i.e. it could have been taken down in 30 years time and the original building still be ok. We do have old buildings being raised to rubble even as we speak, Boerma and that old music hall, or am I getting confused?

Look at the Tesco on New STreet and what that replaced.. criminal and for a ******* supermarket. The Council are inept across many areas not just planning, and my experience is that some, not all, of the people in charge almost sneer down their noses at the city almost as if they resent having to be there. I've met one or two like that.. Marketing Birmingham should never have existed, unless it was specifically aimed at investing in local arts and presenting that to potential investors, but what has happened in reality is huge amounts of money have been syphoned off thus depriving some valuable creative business much needed funds and support. Anyway... BCC have a really difficult job, no one would argue that point, but they are severely holding this city back in other ways. The Bin Strike fiasco is a prime example.

Kingsheathen, Brum X liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #60
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 528

While the Kerslake review laid bare decades of political and structural dysfunction at the council you can't fault them for everything wrong with the city. They certainly don't help, but it isn't the black and white doom laden scenario you often paint. Council bad etc. New Street being an example, you continually blame BCC for the lack of movement on the bridge and fumes. When your ire would be better directed at the stations owners and managers. I'm no fan of the council BTW. Marketing Birmingham isn't just a marketing agency, I'm assuming you would rather we didnt have an agency promoting the city as an investment location? And to be fair, if they had a remit to boost the profile of the city and promote it in a positive light, they have done an amazing job considering the snobbery and reputational hurdles they had to overcome. Its essy to bitch from the sidelines, personally I always found them helpful and passionate about the city whenever I dealt with them....
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement