Snow Hill Wharf | Shadwell Street | Residential | 21fl | 67m | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #41
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUK86 View Post
The older renders looked substantially better externally than the current design...having a slightly taller tower is nothing to do with aesthetics.
Do you mean that vulgar yellow and black thing?

BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #42
rafter1

Likes (Received): 64

I think the bank of the canal should be stone not steel piles.

Kingsheathen, ReissOmari liked this post
rafter1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #43
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2084

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafter1 View Post
I think the bank of the canal should be stone not steel piles.

I think those steel sheet piles are already there. I agree it would be better if they were changed for something more pleasant looking. Ideally a flat tow path with mooring points.
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #44
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsheathen View Post
I think those steel sheet piles are already there. I agree it would be better if they were changed for something more pleasant looking. Ideally a flat tow path with mooring points.

No I'm talking rubbish. This is what the site looks like.

RalphGuy, miniwilko liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #45
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUK86 View Post
The older renders looked substantially better externally than the current design...having a slightly taller tower is nothing to do with aesthetics.
Fair enough. I liked the cladding or the red bricks from the old renders, however as a whole it felt a bit overbearing for the area. I love the fact that now apart from the tower, most buildings are scaled down by a floor or two, so they fit in better with what's around it, but also we have a more of a proper and slender tower, as opposed to the towery stump of the old renders. And the additional new thoroughfare and widened area around river rea are hugely important addition. In the new renders I only saw one other building apart from the tower, and no I'm not a fan of the white façade, but other than that I love the new scheme. Anyway I think we digressed a bit, sorry for talking about connaught square on here
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #46
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17050

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
Indeed.

On the flip side, perhaps the combination of HS2 and Brexit-induced fleeing from London will boost Birmingham beyond all recognition...
Oooooooooh am i seeing just a little bit of optimism of a post brexit Birmingham Jay if all goes to plan ????
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #47
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
mingham/Menus/PL.xml[/url]

EDIT: Just seen the edited post above!

Another potential game changer for this area, I do hope there is a bit of a commercial element within this, I notice in the second visual here what appears to be an image of a bar and gym.
I remember the area in and around Liberty Place on Sheepcote Street looking not too nice like this area prior to its construction. That was a quality build by Crosby Homes and along with surrounding developments totally rejuvinated an "unsafe" area. The company behind this, is an offshoot I gather from them.
Really exciting proposal!

RalphGuy liked this post
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #48
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

On a related note - I can't understand why the area around the Methodist Hall by JWQ is still so scabby. There is amazing student footfall there and there are some genuinely nice old buildings. That would be a good place for a regenerated statement square.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #49
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
On a related note - I can't understand why the area around the Methodist Hall by JWQ is still so scabby. There is amazing student footfall there and there are some genuinely nice old buildings. That would be a good place for a regenerated statement square.
Isn't that area earmarked in the Eastside masterplan as a potential site for a new square, with the road being reduced to just one lane and turned into a park? I hope it comes to fruition one day. The recent announcement about the Methodist Hall being turned into a plush hotel with independent businesses on the ground floor is a step in the right direction. also a brand new independent coffee shop/record store is opening in that area very soon.

Kingsheathen, RalphGuy, ReissOmari liked this post
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #50
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Oooooooooh am i seeing just a little bit of optimism of a post brexit Birmingham Jay if all goes to plan ????
Not really for this thread. It was a bit tongue in cheek. Unless we get the right deals in place then London won't be as an attractive place to invest or live, hence the benefit to Birmingham. It's quite comforting to see all these proposals being brought forward for Birmingham and [email protected] I'm unsure whether any other cities outside London are seeing anywhere near the same levels of U/C and pipeline?
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 01:54 AM   #51
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 2744

Lovely development, can't beat classic brick imo
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #52
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3674

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
I'm unsure whether any other cities outside London are seeing anywhere near the same levels of U/C and pipeline?
Leeds is doing very well at the moment.
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #53
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
Office wise it is but residential not until the last month or so? Practically nothing happening until recently. Still not a patch on what Birmingham's got going on.

Brum X liked this post
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #54
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
Indeed - it's a signal of intent that this will be a good quality proposal on the northern side of Great Charles Street. I do fear for St Chad's though - it's meant to be a historical statement building and it's at risk of getting bullied by high rises going up around it. Snow Hill Three is already looming over it from the other side of the road. Cathedrals also need drives and parks surrounding them - I wonder if one could be cheated out of the space there one day when Charles St is inevitably downgraded?
St Patricks Cathedral New York seems to be more beautiful exactly because of the buildings around it. Sometimes the opposite of what we expect can transpire...

citywatcher01, BhamJim, nigeman liked this post
BABYCAKES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #55
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
As Jay has mentioned, until recently it has really lagged behing in terms of U/C, even now its crane count is just about double figures, compared to around 30 in Birmingham.

Plus Birmingham is seeing transport projects get off the ground too like the Metro extension and further developments at BHX Airport. All of these play a part in the transformation of Birmingham into a first class city.

Sandblast, daniboy173, Kingsheathen liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #56
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES View Post
St Patricks Cathedral New York seems to be more beautiful exactly because of the buildings around it. Sometimes the opposite of what we expect can transpire...

Exactly my thought when I saw Harborne's comment, but couldn't remember the name of the cathedral. St Patrick's is like a beacon of serenity amongst the "roar" of NYC around it.

BABYCAKES liked this post
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #57
JRB1234

Likes (Received): 514

What a lovely looking development. So glad brick is back in fashion, adds so much more depth to the built environment. Hope this one is a quick start after planning approval.
JRB1234 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #58
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14510

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Exactly my thought when I saw Harborne's comment, but couldn't remember the name of the cathedral. St Patrick's is like a beacon of serenity amongst the "roar" of NYC around it.
"Beacon of serenity". Couldnt have put it better if I tried. NYC's ones are masterful, however they are well funded places that lie within hugely densely populated areas that have been there for years. Certainly, having a church dating back to the first irish immigrants links generations of the city together, brings out the community that makes the city and the area around all these other churches so unbelievably great. New Yorkers just get on with things & accept the evolution of their city as it continues to rise upward.

There's one in Sydney where all modern scrapers have been positioned to respectfully give the church focal point status. I love that.

Taking into account all of that, if it's done tastefully and the tower is nicely-designed, having a plethora of classic old & new architecture side by side in Birmingham, I really don't mind it, I'll just embrace it

Dying Duck liked this post

Last edited by PerpetualBrum; November 11th, 2017 at 03:00 AM.
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #59
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1174

I've seen those two up close and they certainly look fine amongst the surrounding skyscrapers.

To be fair the buildings are much taller than what we have & will get in this area, however they should frame in nicely and hopefully some kind of square will evolve around St Chads.
rotundazag está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 01:20 PM   #60
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1324

Recommended for approval in next weeks planning meeting subject to a S106 agreement.
SMUK86 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement