Timber Yard | Pershore Street | Residential/Retail | 14fl | 46m | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #61
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Just for the record i live in the city centre opposite that noisy Irish fun bar Henneseys in Digbeth and i live here becouse i love the hussle and bussle of the city. At the moment as it is summer i have windows open at night and most nights i hear shouting outside and music thumping under my floor boards and it wakes me up, however i then get up and close my windows if its too bad.

I also live on a road with a police station, not a operational police station that you can walk into, however this operation is busy at the best of times. Im woken up more by police cars speeding off down Allison street with all the blue lights flashing than i am with drunken revellers coming out of Henneseys at 3am in the morning. So what next do i complain to the city council to have the police station closed down, of course i dont. I knew the police station was here, i knew bars and pubs were nearby, i did my research which is what people should do.

Timber yard is to be built in Southside , just like all the other developments that are planned for southside. So are these backward thinking city councillors going to refuse that other new development that PerpetualBrum told us about last week which sits directly opposite The GALE, is so then to all these developers who wanna make this area more appealing dont bother and dont waste your time. Id put your money up in Manchester where they have a gay quarter which is more vibrant and much more appealing and much more world famous than ours will ever be becouse the whole area intergrates with each other. Its not just a few gay bars, but bars and restaurants, shops, cafes, fast food places, loads of residential, hotels.

People live in the Manchester gay quarter becouse they want noise and vibrancy. They dont have to live there, they could live anywhere in Manchester city centre.

Its quite simple as far as im concerned.

And also whilst im writing this, there is also another residential tower planned opposite to Chic Nightclub which closes at 8am at weekends. Is this project doomed as well becouse we are so rubbish at developing our city to be fit for the 2020s and beyond. Sometimes Birmingham feels more like a city similar to Portsmouth or Coventry than the second biggest city in britain with this kind of attitude. Oh i forgot this project was approved,Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Can somebody tell me why this project was approved with a noisy nightclub opposite ?

Brum X feels very passionate about this subject
I respect your passion Brum X

In reality I think we're on the same page with this. I too live in the city - I used to be woken every sunday morning by the Breakfast Club at Chic when I lived in Southside. Disrupted sleep is to be expected living in town as you yourself experience - but I don't think it's fair to say that people living in town shouldn't be entitled to ANY sleep. As a result, homes and venues need to co-exist and that's what we're talking about here.

Crosby tried to get the Nightingale closed down to build next door - the club and the council fought back and won - the developers had to upgrade the sound insulation in their proposed development and pay for soundproofing in the Gale, too. 1-0 to the gay village and a win-win situation as planning permission was then granted for the apartments (that residents stood a chance of getting some sleep in) and we protected the venue

Residential development on this site is perfectly feasible, so long as it takes into account its immediate environment and BCC are doing a reasonably good at ensuring developers do this - as I'm sure they will on the old DV8 site.

And as a footnote - I know that the bars on Canal St in Manchester have to close doors and turn down music etc after certain times out of respect to local residents too A bit of mutual respect and we all get along fine

Brum X, o'flaneurie, nigeman liked this post
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2018, 01:03 PM   #62
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14498

goes back to commitee on Aug 16th. No time to nitpick bits and bobs - read the report below

Officers Report PDF / Planning Application

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:47 PM   #63
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17022

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post
goes back to commitee on Aug 16th. No time to nitpick bits and bobs - read the report below

Officers Report PDF / Planning Application
Lets hope they can find a solution to the problem that is The Village Inn opposite.
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2018, 03:22 PM   #64
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Good to go

Old August 16th, 2018, 10:28 PM   #65
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Good to go

Formally approved ?

If do excellent news

Kingsheathen liked this post
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:50 PM   #66
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppmb80 View Post
Formally approved ?

If do excellent news
Good to go ..

From the Apsley/Galliard team Citylivingbrum account on Twitter:
Quote:
Planners give the go ahead on GalliardHomes and apsleyhousecapital’s Timber Yard development in Brum’s Southside district. The scheme will provide 379 apartments, comprising a mix of 1, 2 & 3 beds, as well as 10k sq ft of commercial space

Old August 16th, 2018, 11:17 PM   #67
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14393

The warehouse/indoor car park to the left of this image has to go soon, it's such a downer for the wider area.

Quote:
Good to go

Brum X liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 11:24 PM   #68
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
The warehouse/indoor car park to the left of this image has to go soon, it's such a downer for the wider area.
Thought you’d enjoy the cheap parking Reiss lol

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

ReissOmari liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 11:35 PM   #69
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Thought you’d enjoy the cheap parking Reiss lol
I also enjoy leaving a car park with my wheels

djay liked this post
Old August 16th, 2018, 11:38 PM   #70
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1323

A relief that this has been approved as in the past it would only be our council who seemed to do their best to put off high quality developers such as Galliard and Berkeley and with them both looking develop 4 or 5 sites in the city and really raise the standard of what has been built in the last 15 years it would have been a foot shooting exercise especially when resolutions have been found elsewhere in the city, looks like we are finally moving with the times.

Hopefully both become as active as Seven Capital without the inconsistency and dross developments in the future.

Bear Would Ian liked this post
SMUK86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #71
SMUK86

Work expected to start this year:

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/2020515-city-centre-residential-scheme-approved

WarwickDan, DaciaDuster, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old August 20th, 2018, 11:16 AM   #72
brummie1

Likes (Received): 208

I'm really looking forward to all this linking up, Smithfield, Kent Street, Armouries, Monaco, Timber Yard, Connaught, it'll be amazing... no idea how old i'll be when I see it all done though... plus isnt there a theoretical further tram line going through smithfield joining the line on digbeth high street, will that pass near timber yard?
brummie1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 11:44 AM   #73
SMUK86

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummie1 View Post
I'm really looking forward to all this linking up, Smithfield, Kent Street, Armouries, Monaco, Timber Yard, Connaught, it'll be amazing... no idea how old i'll be when I see it all done though... plus isnt there a theoretical further tram line going through smithfield joining the line on digbeth high street, will that pass near timber yard?
It was through Smithfield out to the Cricket Ground and The MAC, still no plans for it yet though so it’s going to be 5-10 years away at least.
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:12 PM   #74
DaciaDuster
Registered car

Likes (Received): 297

Don't think we've seen this CGI before?

Source: Fraser.uk

Kingsheathen liked this post
DaciaDuster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:37 PM   #75
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUK86 View Post
It was through Smithfield out to the Cricket Ground and The MAC, still no plans for it yet though so it’s going to be 5-10 years away at least.
In the last picture above, the proposed Metro line to the cricket ground/QE would emerge from the Smithfield site on the right hand side, where the mini roundabout and white van are, and follow Sherlock Street/Pershore Road.

It's not been formally adopted yet, but the city council are clearly very keen for trams to play a role in Smithfield, as you can see in the masterplan documents. Once they've crossed Digbeth to get there, they need to go somewhere.

Incidentally, the large block in the right foreground, which the tram route would run alongside (now the Jubilee Centre) was originally a GPO factory built in the 1920s or 1930s. It's interesting to note how the new builds here seem to be taking their cue from it and some other smaller buildings of a similar vintage in the area.

On a more speculative note, the young Conan-Doyle worked as a GP in Birmingham. His story The Stockbroker's Clerk contains a reference to Day's Music Hall, which used to be in Hurst Street. Could he also have found some inspiration in the name of Sherlock Street, just round the corner?
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:43 PM   #76
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1574

double post
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:49 PM   #77
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 931

I like the education section of their website.

Timber Yard seems to have unique proximity to all London’s Universities and Eton College. Not bad for Birmingham........ #cutandpasteerror
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:51 PM   #78
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaciaDuster View Post
Don't think we've seen this CGI before?

Source: Fraser.uk
0-3 bedroom? How much are the apartments without bedrooms, might enquire on one.

PerpetualBrum liked this post
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:41 PM   #79
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
0-3 bedroom? How much are the apartments without bedrooms, might enquire on one.
A quick look on Rightmove suggests a price ranging between 110-180k.

ReissOmari liked this post
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #80
brummie1

Likes (Received): 208

Remarkably lower than expected, doesn't look they will be fitted out with a 'london spec' then - laminate flooring, elective heaters and cheaper kitchen work surfaces... which is a shame, as the city centre could really do with more market offerings too...
brummie1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement