St. Luke's - The Bombed Out Church | Leece Street | World War 2 Memorial - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
stonehouse

Likes (Received): 1

St. Luke's - The Bombed Out Church | Leece Street | World War 2 Memorial

For those that wish to know more about the Bombed Out Church (St Luke's) in Liverpool, I have been working away on a website:

www.stlukeliverpool.co.uk

woody liked this post
stonehouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Centurio

Likes (Received): 4620

Alleged "developers' approach" for Liverpool's memorial (and popular cultural venue) "The Bombed Out Church":

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...proach-6860512

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats...rpools-6860932

Petition against:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...h-in-liverpool

-
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 298

I really can't comprehend what the council are thinking. Why not get EH to fund the work that's needed and spin it off as a trust so it will remain a much valued arts and social venue. This site is Liverpool; do we really want another sailors home or customs house?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Medi73#!

No more student flats, enough is enough.
Medi73#! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:22 PM   #5
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 4741

I have no idea how people think this will end up as student flats after what Joe Anderson said yesterday. They've had their fingers burnt (well, partially) with the Rodney st church, so they'll be much more conservative in their approach this time. A trust could work, but as long as it had a trading company to do commercial stuff. It'd be legally prevented from doing so otherwise. That's how the palm house works.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Medi73#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
I have no idea how people think this will end up as student flats after what Joe Anderson said yesterday. They've had their fingers burnt (well, partially) with the Rodney st church, so they'll be much more conservative in their approach this time. A trust could work, but as long as it had a trading company to do commercial stuff. It'd be legally prevented from doing so otherwise. That's how the palm house works.
I was guessing, I have no prior knowledge of the development. Generally speaking though I think there's too many buildings being turned into student flats, it's great they've saved many at risk buildings but I'd like to see more diversity in town.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM   #7
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 55349

It seems clear, though, from what Joe has sad that the council can no longer afford to maintain the gardens. Whoever takes it over must maintain them and keep them open to the public. Can Urban Strawberry Lunch, or similar, afford the maintenance of 'the ruins' as well as the garden?

In an ideal world I'd like to see some kind of glazed roof on the shell of the church - and for it to be open and accessible far more often than it is - preferably all of the time.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #8
tomo90

Likes (Received): 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi73#! View Post
No more student flats, enough is enough.
I know how about some affordable city centre apartments for residents who want to live here for the foreseeable future? Not for this site particularly but all these students flats are annoying now (however, I do respect that students bring a lot to the city).

Medi73#!, Owl. liked this post
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Medi73#!

I'd like it to be an anti war anti fascist peace centre and gardens.

design_man liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:49 PM   #10
openlyJane
Human Being

That sounds like too much of a 'statement' piece to work, I think. It is a central city location - and who will fund & maintain the gardens so that they they remain a pleasant and, even, an enhanced place for city dwellers to hang out?
I tend to associate the gardens., as they currently are, with drunks and homeless people - but wouldn't it be nice for them to be an obvious green/garden/place in the city?

Having said that, most investors are not interested in enhanced public or green spaces - so I look nervously to see what the proposals for this site may be. We've had our fingers burned already, and our hopes sorely disappointed on a number of occasions.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Ian2873

Likes (Received): 8

I agree at the moment what is ?
Somewhere were if you know the area you don't go near because of the drunks and aggressive beggars.
No one with any sense would sit in the gardens unless you had a can of special brew.
When I've been in side it's a mess.
Some one else needs a chance to run it as I don't think it is has worked as it is.
Ian2873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #12
superla

Likes (Received): 1168

Interesting statement on urban strawberry lunchs Twitter feed,outlining what's happened and what they hope to happen and urging people not to panic/worry. Sorry I'm not able to provide the link!
superla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #13
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 4741

https://twitter.com/BombedOutChurch

Good to hear Joe has given them first dibs. No doubt he won't get the credit for that though! Still, they'll have to come up with a sound business plan, including probable Heritage Lottery Funding, so they'll have to get their skates on to submit an outline proposal to HLF to prove to LCC that they could apply for funding. With proper support, this could be the making of the place.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #14
superla

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
https://twitter.com/BombedOutChurch

Good to hear Joe has given them first dibs. No doubt he won't get the credit for that though! Still, they'll have to come up with a sound business plan, including probable Heritage Lottery Funding, so they'll have to get their skates on to submit an outline proposal to HLF to prove to LCC that they could apply for funding. With proper support, this could be the making of the place.
Thanks for providing the link bb
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #15
Owl.

Likes (Received): 3020

Quote:
Yoko Ono joins more than 18,000 people in backing 'save Bombed Out Church' campaign

More than 18,000 people – including Yoko Ono – are backing a campaign to save the ‘bombed out church’ from being handed over to a private company.

They mobilised over the weekend in response to the news the council was in talks with a local business that was looking to take on St Luke’s for weddings.

St Luke’s Church at the bottom of Leece Street is currently owned by the council, which says it is struggling to afford the cost of maintaining it.

But the news it could end up in private hands caused uproar, with more than 18,000 people signing on an online petition between Friday and last night.

And Ms Ono, widow of late Beatle John Lennon who has exhibited her work there, also added her voice to the campaign.

She retweeted an ECHO story on “seven reasons why we should cherish St Luke’s Liverpool Bombed Out Church”, while campaigners who set up the bid to save it said “it is not a simple a shell - It is a living, working monument to the people of Liverpool.”

[...]

Currently it is being used by arts group Urban Strawberry Lunch, who said they had arranged urgent talks with the council when it emerged a company – which the ECHO understands is a local hotel operator – was looking at taking over the building, which was badly damaged during the Liverpool Blitz of 1941.
Full article at - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...-18000-6871217
Owl. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #16
openlyJane
Human Being

Perhaps Yoko could provide the funding for its ongoing maintenance?

I would like to see the church open all of the time. Currently it isn't.
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #17
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 1294

I've never been in or even seen inside this church. I wouldn't even venture near it most days. It's just somewhere I've passed thousands of times over the years. I'm not sure what purpose or function it serves. I get the whole memorial thing..... but hardly think it has been properly used or presented to this effect.
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #18
kennyrouge
blank

Likes (Received): 288

I've got a feeling that the place has already been sold,the main gates have been padlocked shut for the past 7/8 weeks !
kennyrouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #19
superla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrouge View Post
I've got a feeling that the place has already been sold,the main gates have been padlocked shut for the past 7/8 weeks !
Apparently the gardens and access from the main gates has had to be restricted as bits of the church are now unsafe due to winter storm damage
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #20
kennyrouge
blank

Likes (Received): 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by superla View Post
Apparently the gardens and access from the main gates has had to be restricted as bits of the church are now unsafe due to winter storm damage
Never thought of that mate, nice one
kennyrouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement