Lynchburg, VA Development News - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #1
dbcook256

Likes (Received): 496

Lynchburg, VA Development News

Here are the largest projects currently under construction or recently completed in the Lynchburg center city:

Concept image from the 2000 Lynchburg Downtown & Riverfront Master Plan. This has been a highly successful downtown plan that has seen roughly half of all the design elements and recommendations realized since 2000 with $185 million in public and private investment since the plans inception:

Source: http://www.lynchburgva.gov/downtown-...ster-plan-2000

Academy of Fine Arts $29 million renovation on Main street:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cliffs Edge Lofts. 60 new lofts built in 2013:
image hosted on flickr

$8 million new GLTC bus transfer center adjacent to the Kemper Street Amtrak station. Will be LEED certified with solar panels:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

James River Place 30+ new condos on Jefferson Street:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lynchburg Lower Bluff Walk $8 million pedestrian mall between Jefferson and Commerce Streets:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Riverlofts on Jefferson Street. 60 new lofts:
image hosted on flickr

New Parlor Lofts on Main Street:
image hosted on flickr

New grocery market and cafe on Main Street:

New condos on Commerce Street (project on hold):
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by dbcook256; April 30th, 2018 at 04:24 PM.
dbcook256 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #2
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 54029

Very promising and decent projects!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #3
MIRYDI

Likes (Received): 263

^Indeed! Nice projects.
MIRYDI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
L&C Tower IS KING

Likes (Received): 25

Very nice!
L&C Tower IS KING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Cerises
99% Angel

Likes (Received): 378

I'm liking those loft apartments and various projects.
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #6
dbcook256

New Updates for Lynchburg

Well it has been about six months since my last update and there is now an incredible amount of activity occurring in downtown Lynchburg. Currently there are about 314 new loft units either completed in the past six months, currently under construction or planned for 2014 spread out among 10 major projects around downtown. I just moved into a studio loft in the new River Lofts on Jefferson Street in the River District which is the largest of all the new projects and the views are amazing as is the loft itself.

The construction activity is really gaining momentum all around the Lower Bluff Walk and several new condos are under construction along with several renovation projects around the pedestrian zone. Lynchburg has long had huge potential to really become a great city with all of it's vacant warehouses and historic properties as well as its dramatic setting on the James River along a high bluff. That dream of a better city is being realized today with all the new downtown developments occurring at this very moment with an estimated value of $100 million.

I have attached a map of all the various projects and project details around downtown. Although not listed here, Liberty University is really blowing up with $500 million in new developments underway including new academic buildings, a medical school, a new library and two new high-rise dorms with 1,200 beds each... Photos of the downtown construction sites will be uploaded later today. Thanks!
image hosted on flickr

MIRYDI liked this post

Last edited by dbcook256; November 14th, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #7
dbcook256

Lynchburg River Lofts (1001 Jefferson Street). 59 Units, 8,000 square feet of new commercial, workout gym, and direct access to the Lower Bluff Walk. 30% occupied:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My loft!!!

Midpoint Apartments (the building next door). Under renovation. 50 units:

Cliffs Edge Lofts. 52 units completed in 2013:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

James River Place Phase I Condos. 12 units under construction:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Parlor Lofts Phase II and new commercial space. 6 units:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New downtown grocery store and cafe with 12 new units on top floor currently under development:

Cabell Street Lofts. 47 units planned for 2014:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New GLTC transfer station/transit hub located conveniently adjacent to the Lynchburg Kemper Street Station (Amtrak and Greyhound). Lynchburg's Amtrak station (not shown) has been the last stop on the Northeast Regional (Amtrak's most used line) for three years now and is one of the fastest growing and most successful Amtrak stations in the entire US:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

and now for the crown jewel, Lynchburg's Lower Bluff Walk. A $7 million pedestrian only zone above Jefferson Street will open up 40,000 square feet in new commercial area and provide a great pedestrian experience for the residents of Lynchburg:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

MIRYDI liked this post

Last edited by dbcook256; April 30th, 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #8
spencer114

Likes (Received): 446

That map is great. Thanks for putting it together.

Those dorms sound huge! What is the student population?

I'm going to visit Lynchburg in the spring. I haven't been in about ten years and I want to check out some of the bike trails.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #9
spencer114

Your loft looks really nice. How do you keep it so tidy?
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #10
dbcook256

Awesome Spencer114! Many of those projects should be done by the Spring and many more likely getting underway. The trail system is without a doubt Lynchburg's greatest amenity in my opinion. There is around 15 miles of paved trails and 5 unpaved all accessible from downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. I ride on them all the time! The expansion underway at Liberty is pretty crazy. They currently have about 13,000 resident students, but plan to grow to 20,000 by 2020, of which 60% will be placed on-campus in new student housing. They are also building a new tunnel to Wards road to alleviate traffic around Liberty at this moment. Here are some of the project details on the new dorms: http://www.wset.com/story/23859122/m...ver-high-rises

New tunnel:
http://www.wset.com/story/23937579/l...help-expansion

and finally Liberty's Campus Master Plan:
http://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/index.cfm?PID=27631

I am going to try and get out there soon and get some photos of the new growth on campus. Enjoy your Spring trip to the Hill City!

Last edited by dbcook256; November 14th, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #11
dbcook256

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Your loft looks really nice. How do you keep it so tidy?
I had literally just moved in when I took that photo, thus the general lack of furniture and tidiness lol!
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #12
dbcook256

Here is a wonderful story which appeared on the front page of the News and Advance on October 20th, 2013 and covers all the new residential and loft growth in downtown Lynchburg as well as the Lower Bluff Walk. The River Lofts is featured prominently:
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loca...a4bcf6878.html
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #13
MIRYDI

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
That map is great. Thanks for putting it together.
+1 on the map. Excellent work!

I so wish I could put together a map like that.

Thanks for the picture's too by the way...
MIRYDI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #14
spencer114

Thanks for the links. It all looks really good. Roanoke had better watch it's back! It will be trying to catch up to Lynchburg soon.
Old June 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #15
dbcook256

GLTC Transfer Station at Kemper Grand Opening

The new Greater Lynchburg Transit Company transfer station began operations today at 12:15 PM moving from the old spot at the Plaza to the new location adjacent to Kemper Street Amtrak Station. The new transfer stations is a $8 million LEED Silver rating project that features a green roof with solar panels, electric car recharging stations and a new waiting area and ticket machine for GLTC bus patrons. The station is located immediately adjacent to the Kemper Amtrak Station and the Greyhound Station as well as the city's robust trail system. The Kemper area is now a true multimodal hub. City council even mentioned the possibility of adding a third train from Lynchburg to the Northeast operating in the Afternoon during the ceremony (a second NE Regional train in addition to the Crescent).

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loca...tml?mode=story

Kemper Amtrak Station and Greyhound in far right background to put proximity of new station into perspective:

Last edited by dbcook256; September 14th, 2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #16
dbcook256

Amazement Square begins fundraising to convert warehouse into museum space

Amazement Square Children's Museum in Lynchburg has begun fundraising towards a $4.6 million expansion project which will break ground in late 2014/early 2015 with an estimated completion date in the Fall of 2015. The new center will add 18,000 square feet of space to the museum and increase the number of visitors dramatically.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loca...7a43b2370.html

JRQ liked this post
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #17
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 243

Liberty University plans to build a 252-foot bell tower

Left: Jill Nance/The News & Advance; Right: Rendering courtesy of VMDO Architects
Liberty University's master plan now includes a 25-story bell tower that would rival the Bank of the James building in downtown Lynchburg. The heights above are estimates, and the buildings are not to scale.

Liberty University’s $500 million master plan is growing again – maybe upward.

Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. is working with architects this week to design a 252-foot bell tower to marry the proposed 150,000 square-foot student center.
“It will be an extension of what is happening in the student center,” Falwell Jr. said Wednesday after meeting with VMDO Architects, the firm that recently completed the Jerry Falwell Library, one of the most technologically advanced libraries in the country.
Construction on the student center and tower, which will be located behind the Arthur S. DeMoss Learning Center, is expected to begin this fall, although no building permits have been submitted to the city for approval. The school also needs the approval of the Federal Aviation Administration because of the tower's proximity to Lynchburg Regional Airport.
The tower is the school’s effort to create a memorable university landmark or distinguishing feature akin to the University of Virginia’s Rotunda and Duke University’s Duke Chapel.
As proposed, the monument would be the tallest building in the city, surpassing the 20-story Bank of the James building in downtown. The total estimated height of the Bank of the James building is 239 feet, according to Emporis, a clearinghouse for high-rise construction information.
Preliminary plans call for a bookstore on the lower level of the tower, nine floors of multi-purpose rooms and an open air observation deck on the 14th level. Because each level is so large, the 14th floor will actually be 25 stories above ground level.
A pedestrian bridge will connect the third floor terrace of the tower to ballroom space in the student center.
Falwell does not expect to receive the final architectural renderings for another few weeks.
The tower will be capped off with a replica of the Liberty Bell, which was built for the school in 1976 to celebrate the country’s bicentennial and a college fundraising campaign. Since then, the bell has been weathering the elements on display outside the School of Religion and now, Hancock Welcome Center.
The bell, which bears the names of 70,000 donors, will be atop the observation deck.
“We’re gonna find a way to make it ring, I don’t know if it’s rung for 30 or 40 years,” Falwell Jr., said Tuesday.
Elsewhere on campus, construction is on schedule at the 144,000 square foot Center for Music and the Worship Arts and the smaller, $30-million science building. Completion is expected in the fall of 2015.
Renovation of the LaHaye Student Union as well as construction of a 1,400 space parking deck and the first of six, nine-story high-rise dorms, are expected to be complete by August.
The Center for Medical and Health Sciences — home to the College of Osteopathic Medicine — on East Campus was completed last month and classes begin in August.
Next spring, officials plan to begin construction of the Olympic Sports Center on East Campus.

Contact Amy Trent at (434) 385-5543 or [email protected]. Find her on Twitter: @amylynnetrent.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000

dbcook256 liked this post
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #18
dbcook256

Great story this morning in the News and Advance on the new Bluffwalk pedestrian zone development in downtown Lynchburg:

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loca...a4bcf6878.html

Development of the bluffwalk has been accelerated and will be completed in January of 2015. Within one year around 115 lofts and apartments (nearly all have been occupied) have been built along the Bluffwalk with 61 more currently under construction. Two new restaurants are already in the works including a new bar and grill with a giant outside deck focused on the bluffwalk. Elsewhere around downtown, the new Grassroots community grocery market on Main and 13th is looking great with expected completion in November. The new Irish pub on Main and 12th is expected to open in November too. Several old warehouses are under renovation of Jefferson Street as well with new lofts and restaurants.

I will be posting a series of photos of the bluffwalk in January as well as all the new developments around town when they are completed! Exciting times for downtown Lynchburg!
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #19
spencer114

I was out in Lynchburg (and Forest) in late September. The whole area looks fantastic and is growing much faster than I would have ever believed. It was great to see so many people (20's and 30's) everywhere too. I was sure that this area was slipping into obscurity and I couldn't have been more wrong! What a beautiful area with a terrific future!

JRQ, dbcook256 liked this post
Old October 14th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #20
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I was out in Lynchburg (and Forest) in late September. The whole area looks fantastic and is growing much faster than I would have ever believed. It was great to see so many people (20's and 30's) everywhere too. I was sure that this area was slipping into obscurity and I couldn't have been more wrong! What a beautiful area with a terrific future!
Although Danville doesn't have as much "Going for it" so to speak, I really hope they can follow in Lynchburg's example. Roanoke might have a run for its money in Southwest/South Central Va dominance if Lynchburg keeps chugging along.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000

dbcook256 liked this post