Oklahoma City Development News - Page 84 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:01 AM   #1661
Anthony Bybee
RMA

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
From where are you getting that information? As far as I know, Populous is the selected firm.
He's probably confusing the redevelopment masterplan study the city had Populous do on the Cox Convention Center site with what you posted, which is the new MAPS 3 Convention Center.
Anthony Bybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:01 PM   #1662
KayneMo

Likes (Received): 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bybee View Post
He's probably confusing the redevelopment masterplan study the city had Populous do on the Cox Convention Center site with what you posted, which is the new MAPS 3 Convention Center.
Ah, perhaps. Which reminds me, here are some updated renderings:

cuartango, Rhodium liked this post
KayneMo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #1663
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 188

What are the chances they increase the height of the hotel?
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #1664
Dale

Likes (Received): 5756

Yeah, the hotel barely registers.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #1665
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber68 View Post
What are the chances they increase the height of the hotel?
If it's a savvy convention bureau they're already familiar with the local market for hotel rooms and rates, so the size is at least partially based on something plausible for the area. In which case they're thinking "We can readily sustain X number of rooms in Y price range. Here's a hotel that has about X amount of rooms in the Y price range, so drop something like this into the project and we'll see how the industry reacts."
Old September 27th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #1666
KayneMo

Here is the proposal for the Omni Convention Hotel:

cuartango liked this post
Old September 27th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #1667
Dale

Slightly better than I expected.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:35 PM   #1668
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
If it's a savvy convention bureau they're already familiar with the local market for hotel rooms and rates, so the size is at least partially based on something plausible for the area. In which case they're thinking "We can readily sustain X number of rooms in Y price range. Here's a hotel that has about X amount of rooms in the Y price range, so drop something like this into the project and we'll see how the industry reacts."
Achievable operating cash flow has to be based on an appraisal or market study, which is the process that determined 600 is the right size for this project.

Other Tier 3/2 cities have had to build a 2nd or 3rd convention hotel once they've grown demand for convention rooms. Columbus is about to build their third convention hotel. Indy scratched and clawed its way as a leading convention city incrementally, with piece-meal facility expansions like this.

Last edited by SRG; January 28th, 2017 at 04:23 PM.
SRG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #1669
KayneMo

Downtown OKC with the new BOK Park Plaza rising (from OKCTalk):
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #1670
KayneMo

Working on floor 18 and currently about 264' tall (9 floors and 169' to go).

cuartango, hpal3, VVisconsin08, gugi182 liked this post
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #1671
KayneMo

The sale of First National Center was closed on January 11, 2017 for $23 million. Work will now soon begin to convert the property to a hotel in the lower floors, residential units in the upper floors, and ground floor retail.

Photo taken by CloudDeck Media on the evening of the closing of the sale:

cuartango, hpal3, Sic'EmBears liked this post
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:36 AM   #1672
Dale

The redevelopment of FNC is HUGE! It's a jewel. When I first visited OKC, in 1993, the building actually had a retail galleria. A bustling place.

hpal3 liked this post
Old January 28th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #1673
Yamauchi
Trad Urbanist

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Working on floor 18 and currently about 264' tall (9 floors and 169' to go).
I've been busy at work the past year and I didn't even know this building was going up. Then I was driving into OKC from Highway 3 and saw new construction rising from downtown. Pretty nice building.
Yamauchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #1674
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by koishki View Post
I will assume that people in this forum know that Populous is only doing a masterplan study, and that those basic renders are not real plans. It looks pretty cool, but sadly it's never happening. Makes the OKC govt look pretty ignorant, but can't expect much from a place that thinks a street car is a good idea. Hopefully the real architect will design a decent CC.
I'm not so sure it's the OKC govt that looks "pretty ignorant."

Populous is both a design and planning firm. We have retained them to do both and these are the plans. They have been paid an outrageous amount in both retainer and fees, I think around 10% of the total project budget which is $280 million. It's insane.

6.9 miles of streetcar will give OKC one of the largest if not the largest starter system built in the U.S. When it is expanded to Capitol Hill and up NW Classen it will give all of the city's highest-ridership neighborhoods premier transit access to everything happening downtown.

Streetcar is not the fastest means to traverse 6.9 miles from end to end, but it is by far the best user experience (which enhances ridership in a city that is not inclined to use buses), it is the only mode where the entire route draws TOD (rather than just at stations a la LRT), and it is by far the most human-centric. No other mode is as accessible from the sidewalk. The only drawback is it will inconvenience drivers, which I'd argue is also a plus.

I suggest just confining yourself to areas of the metro that will never see the streetcar if you think it's a bad idea. I'd stay away from the I-35 corridor now that OK GO has been adopted and is about to be funded as well. Yukon is probably safe, you'll love it there.

You can barely see the 6.9 mile starter system in the center city region, for perspective on the scale of OK GO, which will encompass almost 40 miles of commuter rail and at least another 15 miles of light rail.

This is what the streetcar has already done to the east end of Bricktown, which went from wasteland to this after the streetcar was finalized. These hotels, apartments, and concert halls are too far out for anyone to walk from other downtown hotspots. The streetcar will make it a 15-minute ride up to Classen that comes by every 15 minutes.

This streetcar will serve not just all of the downtown attractions but also a good chunk of the 7,500 downtown residents (everyone minus Deep Deuce, which is already central to everything), all of the 25+ downtown hotels (by the time it's finished), all of the 65,000 downtown workers, 20,000+ NBA fans 50 nights a year, and anyone who painstakingly hunts for a parking space within a half-mile of where they're going.

With all of the development that has transpired in OKC, it's no longer a question of whether it will be enough development to support the planned transit, but if the transit will be enough to support the next round of planned development. This thread really only captures about 1/4 of all the projects OKC is getting right now. After everything that's permitted is finished downtown's population will be around 13,000. From a national developer perspective, OKC is a 5% cap rate market which means that equity investors are paying premiums to put their money in this market. It used to be about an 8 cap market. You can't fall from a tree right now without finding investors who want to back urban projects in OKC right now.

cuartango liked this post

Last edited by SRG; January 28th, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
SRG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:54 AM   #1675
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1014

Is there any chance that the Myriad (Cox) Convention Center is going to end up demolished once the new convention center to the south of the Chesapeake Arena is built? Or does the Oklahoma City area still need it despite the existence of the newer arena and the proposed convention center?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:14 AM   #1676
Sic'EmBears

Likes (Received): 2474

Glad to see First National Center converted to residential.
Sic'EmBears no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #1677
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Is there any chance that the Myriad (Cox) Convention Center is going to end up demolished once the new convention center to the south of the Chesapeake Arena is built? Or does the Oklahoma City area still need it despite the existence of the newer arena and the proposed convention center?
That seems to be the intention behind many rumors and speculation. However there is a ton of parking underneath the Cox and of course there will need to be a plan to replace those spaces. But it would be incredibly valuable real estate if demolished. I can envision all sorts of uses for the space.
Classof2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #1678
KayneMo

From February 28, the crown is now being worked on:

Here's a skyline cam that updates the image every 2 minutes:
http://okcweather.com/station/okc_central/liveview.htm

cuartango, Oatmeal, VVisconsin08 liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:29 PM   #1679
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Updated the BOK Park Plaza thread below as it's being topped out.
Also regarding the convention center hotel, a 6 floor (if I remember correctly) hotel is being developed by a private Tulsa hotel developer on the other end of the convention center. I don't remember exactly how many rooms it'll have, but that also may impact the eventual size of the Omni hotel.

OKC's Central Park (literally right across the street from this eventual convention center) is also seeing some progress over the last few months to present. They've cleared much of the site and are currently building the streetcar maintenance facility at the far south end of the central park.

OKC's midtown and some parts of the CBD and Bricktown are still fleshing out with good infill projects that are smaller in scale, but nonetheless appreciated.

I'll leave pictures, other projects, and other details to someone else. OKC is definitely still churning, despite the oil/gas downturn of the last 2-3 years, which is very impressive and shows that OKC has diversified far more than people realize. Though, metro growth slowed down for 2016. I think the OKC metro only added 16,000-17,000 people last year. Again, someone else can confirm/deny.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

VVisconsin08 liked this post
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #1680
koishki

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
From where are you getting that information? As far as I know, Populous is the selected firm.
I know people at Populous? But you should check Populous website if you actually think they're the selected firm. It's not too difficult for you is it?

I feel like this forum is still full of ignorant people, but that's irrelevant. Is that joke of a street car still being built? I completely forgot about it until Detroit's piece of shit went online.
koishki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
oklahoma city