First, Sun-belt cities takes people from the Great Lakes, now they want water there. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the Sun-Belt cities get the Great Lakes water?
I am from the Great Lakes Region and I say Yes, they should. 0 0%
I am from the Great Lakes Region and I say NO. 18 56.25%
I am from the South and western states and I want the lovely refreshing Great Lake water. 6 18.75%
I am from the South and western states and I say we will get water else where else. 3 9.38%
I am from neither, I would give let the southern and western states drink the Great Lake water. 1 3.13%
I am from neither, if the people from the s and w states want the GL Water, move to the GL region. 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #21
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 101

We should charge them $1000 a barrel of fine, Great Lakes water. We'll call it H30 just to make it seem like they're getting their money's worth.

Ever think it wasn't meant for there to be million-people settlements in the middle of deserts?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #22
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

I am from the Great Lakes Region and I say NO.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #23
great prairie

Likes (Received): 1

this thread is the opposite of intelligent conversation
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #24
Nic

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
We should charge them $1000 a barrel of fine, Great Lakes water. We'll call it H30 just to make it seem like they're getting their money's worth.

Ever think it wasn't meant for there to be million-people settlements in the middle of deserts?
Define "wasn't meant for". People do a lot of things we weren't meant to do; fly in airplanes, hell ride in cars, go to space, live in the desert, LIVE IN FRIGID ENVIROMENTS, etc., etc. No region in our country is self-sustaining; we all rely on other parts of our country, and beyond to enjoy our standard of living in the U.S.
Nic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #25
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by great prairie
this thread is the opposite of intelligent conversation
seriously I have laughed throughout this entire thread.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #26
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic
Define "wasn't meant for". People do a lot of things we weren't meant to do; fly in airplanes, hell ride in cars, go to space, live in the desert, LIVE IN FRIGID ENVIROMENTS, etc., etc. No region in our country is self-sustaining; we all rely on other parts of our country, and beyond to enjoy our standard of living in the U.S.
I think it becomes a problem when something so basic like water is not easily available to the city.

Ideally, yes it would be nice if we all pooled our resources. But there certainly is a difference in value between foods and water and then another's gold and diamonds- luxuries take a backseat to actual needs.

Instead of investing huge sums (which we don't have) into a project bound to recieve opposition from all bordering states and Canada (who would expect something in return for the water), wouldn't it be easier for the Sunbelt to move to sources of water, like most of the world and major cities throughout history?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #27
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

^ Yes everyone in Pheonix, Las Vegas and hell even LA should be trucked to the nearest river, lake of danky little stream.

Great Idea!
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #28
the pope

Likes (Received): 0

as hudkina mentioned at SSP, this would make me an eco-terroist. No one other than my lakes neighbors is touching my water.....

besides, i doubt it would ever get off the ground considering its an international boundary. On that thought, do you know if any eyebrows were raised for that toronto pipe they use to cool the buildings? (or is that a zero-sum equation?)
the pope no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #29
Azn_chi_boi

Likes (Received): 12

LA still have the lovely LA river, lol...
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #30
schreiwalker

no way water will really be shipped from the great lakes.

Though there really have been proposals to ship water from the Klamath river (I think its the klamath, maybe the trinity) in Oregon/Northern California down to the bottom of California. That's about a thousand miles, if anyone's counting.
schreiwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #31
schreiwalker

anyhow, I don't think the people of the southwest should have to move. But if they're going to complain about a lack of water (almost 100% of which is federally subsidized), they can stop watering their lawns, and then start talking.
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #32
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 3407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_chi_boi
First of all the title is kinda misleading, to bring people to read the thread.

Second of all, I heard that the Colorado River has dried up in Mexico, as it doesnt reach the Gulf of California.

http://com.miami.edu/collaborative/a...ngColorado.htm

Doesnt this would affect the Southwestern states, as they always fight about the river, and year by year that region gain more and more people.

Um... the five Great Lakes are very large, and maybe 20% of the world freshwater.

See look here, if you elimate the Casipen Sea, since that is salt water.

Lake Superior is 1st in the largest freshwater lake in the world.

3rd is Huron, 4th is Michigan, 12th is Erie and 14th is Ontario.
I thought Lake Baikal in Russia was the largest freshwater lake.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #33
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 3407

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith
I thought Lake Baikal in Russia was the largest freshwater lake.
I looked it up. Superior is largest in surface area, Baikal is the deepest and largest in volume. Nice little rivalry they got going there....
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #34
schreiwalker

maybe, if it did happen, the southwesterners could do to the great lakes what they've done to the Owens Lake in California! (admittedly, it might take just a bit more determination)

you may not notice a lake there. that's the point.

an Owens Lake duststorm. The single largest source of particulate matter pollution in the United States.
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #35
AZian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge
Anyway, people down there have nothing to worry about, they have the mighty Colorado River!
After NINE years of drought, the colorado river would be bone dry if it weren't for dozens or disgusting, unnatural dams along its waterways. Lake Powell and Mead are sitting at about 60% of capacity. The rockies have a long drought. And it's not just southwesterners who take water from there. SanFran, LA, SD, even fresno and bakersfield all get some amount of water from the colorado. The colorado isnt "mighty" anymore.

But what do you expect, this is a flippin' desert wasteland for crying outloud!!!
AZian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #36
AZian

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisianacharm
who said that the lakes belong to that area. those lakes belong to us all. just like the mississippi, salt lake, mizzou river, puget sound, hudson bay, etc. its not theres to just wallop over. its ours.
WTF!? If there were a shortage of wood somewhere in America, would you like it if we all bickered and pressured congress to clear out Louisiana's forests for OUR benefit? Same logic when dealing with the great lakes.

AND, that is so redneck and posessive to say "(paraphrasing) they belong to US, it is OURS" because those lakes also belong to Canada. Why dont THEY drain the lakes to irrigate their fields in Saskachewan and Alberta? They need water there just as much as the southwest does-screw the americans. Indeed
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #37
AZian

Quote:
who said that the lakes belong to that area. those lakes belong to us all. just like the mississippi, salt lake, mizzou river, puget sound, hudson bay, etc. its not theres to just wallop over. its ours.
WTF!? If there were a shortage of wood somewhere in America, would you like it if we all bickered and pressured congress to clear out Louisiana's forests for OUR benefit? How about if we wanted water and looked to dam and divert the mississippi from lousinana? I highly doubt you would be singing praises. Same logic when dealing with the great lakes.

AND, that is so redneck and posessive to say "(paraphrasing) they belong to US, it is OURS" because those lakes also belong to Canada. Why dont THEY drain the lakes to irrigate their fields in Saskachewan and Alberta? They need water there just as much as the southwest does.
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #38
AZian

Quote:
WTF!? If there were a shortage of wood somewhere in America, would you like it if we all bickered and pressured congress to clear out Louisiana's forests for OUR benefit? How about if we wanted water and looked to dam and divert the mississippi from lousinana? Or landfills were beyond capacity and we wanted to dump our garbage there? Why not? It's OUR land too.

AND, that is so redneck and posessive to say "(paraphrasing) they belong to US, it is OURS," because those lakes also belong to Canada. Why dont THEY drain the lakes to irrigate their fields in Saskachewan and Alberta? They need water there just as much as the southwest does.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #39
great prairie

THE GREAT LAKES ARE A FEDERALLY PROTECTED PARK/AREA IN BOTH CANADA AND AMERICA THEY WILL NOT BE DRAINED FOR ANYONE.

THE ARTICLE WAS ABOUT HOW THEY CAN'T BUILD A OIL REFINERY ON THE LAKES. IT CLEARLY STATES

Quote:
federal ban could empower western states to gain access to drinking water from the Great Lakes.
LIKE I ORGINALLY SAID IT DOESN'T MENTION WHO, WHEN, OR HOW, IT WASN'T EVEN WHAT THE ARTICLE WAS ABOUT.

IF THE "WESTERN STATES" STARTED USING WATER THEY WOULD PAY ALOT FOR IT AND IT WOULDN'T DRASTICALLY AFFECT THE LEVEL OF THE LAKES (NO ONE WOULD NOTICE IT). BASICALLY IT WOULDN'T CHANGE OR AFFECT YOUR REGION AT ALL. IT MIGHT ADD FEW JOBS AND SOME MONEY THOUGH.

SO SHUT THE **** UP
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #40
Azn_chi_boi

Likes (Received): 12

fine ignore the article then..... go ahead with the conversation we are engading in.

What about Lake Tahoe, cant SF use that?
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement