STAMFORD | Urby Stamford | T/O - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT

NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT Westchester and Rockland counties | Nassau and Suffolk counties | Fairfield County

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #1
jjbradleynyc
Brooklyn Real Estater

Likes (Received): 3

STAMFORD | Urby Stamford | T/O

Does anyone have updated devlopment information (or lack thereof) on the "pit" of vacant land in downtown Stamford, CT? The land plot is bordered on the west by Greyrock Place, on the south by Tressler Blvd, on the north by a utilities building and Main St, and on the east by Elm/Grove St. It is a huge pit of land that years ago (2-3 yrs) apparently was going to be developed by Wal-Mart, but that fell through. I've heard from residents of Stamford that the vacant lot fills with water, and a developer cannot build down to the bedrock, due to this water issue. Does anyone know if this is the case, or what is planned for this huge eyesore? It is directly across from major corporate buildings, the Stamford Town Center Mall, and is just ugly and needs to either be made into a park or built upon. Any information appreciated. Thanks.

Nexis liked this post
jjbradleynyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #2
StamfordCT
Stamford CT 4 Life

Likes (Received): 1

Well i'm from stamford, and i'll tell you that it seems they aint never gonna do anything to it. Wal-Mart was gonna go there, BUT target came, and i beleive stamford is afraid of havin a few "big box" stores in stamford because of the other stores would be put out of business. target SUCKS though, it was a bad deal. And i hear from people that work for target that the store loses money. Nobody really goes there and its empty most of the time. I'd rather have wal-mart than a target, target is dead. you go in there and its like a ghosttown.

But the hole was gonna be residential tower for like 600-900 units or sumthin, but that fell thru. But what they should do with the site is extend the mall to that parcel of land and build multi levels of stores etc. Because the mall is the worst mall in the area, and is in NEED of repairment, revitalization and just a new look.

Needs: Outside of the mall needs a new inviting look. 2) A distinct food court 3) More stores and more variety of them, not just stores for the "rich" and "wealthy" or stamford. 4) Have game stores meant for kids, teens, have stores and places for them. Stamford needs to improve in alot of areas downtown, but needs to expand it because downtown is tight and small.
StamfordCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #3
jjbradleynyc
Brooklyn Real Estater

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamfordCT
Well i'm from stamford, and i'll tell you that it seems they aint never gonna do anything to it. Wal-Mart was gonna go there, BUT target came, and i beleive stamford is afraid of havin a few "big box" stores in stamford because of the other stores would be put out of business. target SUCKS though, it was a bad deal. And i hear from people that work for target that the store loses money. Nobody really goes there and its empty most of the time. I'd rather have wal-mart than a target, target is dead. you go in there and its like a ghosttown.

But the hole was gonna be residential tower for like 600-900 units or sumthin, but that fell thru. But what they should do with the site is extend the mall to that parcel of land and build multi levels of stores etc. Because the mall is the worst mall in the area, and is in NEED of repairment, revitalization and just a new look.

Needs: Outside of the mall needs a new inviting look. 2) A distinct food court 3) More stores and more variety of them, not just stores for the "rich" and "wealthy" or stamford. 4) Have game stores meant for kids, teens, have stores and places for them. Stamford needs to improve in alot of areas downtown, but needs to expand it because downtown is tight and small.
I've read that there is a huge "clean-up" cost, meaning a developer or company would have to pay several million bucks to ensure the water table didn't flood the basement of whatever goes in on the property.

Regarding Target downtown, I shop there at least once a week. The Trump Parc Tower is going to be built right next door, as well as several other future developments within 2-3 blocks away. Target will only see its business continue to increase. I think they made a very wise decision to locate in this area. There are 40k people in downtown Stamford--very, very good for a city its size. Knoxville, TN--a city with 175,000 people--has just 5-6k in their downtown core. Stamford is light years ahead of most larger cities with its residential population downtown. Good things are happening here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #4
StamfordCT
Stamford CT 4 Life

40k? I didn't know that many people lived downtown. Where did you get those demographics from?? The "hole in the ground", i dont know where the water comes from, i always wondered that. But that trump tower better not be an ugly building, because lord knows that we are long overdue for a building over 300 feet.

Stamford's potential to grow from city of 120k to over 150k is a reality. Downtown has 40k....then imagine what north stamford would/could be like if they built townhouses/condos up there....it is very vast. If downtown (its small) could hold 40k, then north stamford could easily hold 50-100k residents. Stamford is 37 miles in area, and so is miami i beleive and they got over 300k....
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #5
jjbradleynyc
Brooklyn Real Estater

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamfordCT
40k? I didn't know that many people lived downtown. Where did you get those demographics from?? The "hole in the ground", i dont know where the water comes from, i always wondered that. But that trump tower better not be an ugly building, because lord knows that we are long overdue for a building over 300 feet.

Stamford's potential to grow from city of 120k to over 150k is a reality. Downtown has 40k....then imagine what north stamford would/could be like if they built townhouses/condos up there....it is very vast. If downtown (its small) could hold 40k, then north stamford could easily hold 50-100k residents. Stamford is 37 miles in area, and so is miami i beleive and they got over 300k....
I can't recall where--but I do know I read it somewhere within the past week...I think online. I'll have to look. Yeah, growth is probable. I don't know how quickly though, due to how expensive the housing is. That's the drawback to Fairfield overall, of course.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #6
StamfordCT
Stamford CT 4 Life

Well i hope they extend the mall over to the "hole in the ground". Because we need it BADLY. Add to the mall, and add some residenial houses on top of it
Old March 5th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #7
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18450

Taken Yesterday - 3/3/16

An Afternoon walk around Downtown Stamford,Connecticut
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; March 5th, 2016 at 04:57 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #8
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18450

Proposed Redevelopment

Source
Visit the New Jersey Section

Hudson11 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:25 AM   #9
Hudson11
Go Yanks!

Likes (Received): 37255

Urby is everywhere...
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 04:54 AM   #10
BarbaricManchurian
pooh bear

Likes (Received): 7799

Nice, might end up one of the best residential developments in CT, if it actually happens.
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #11
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4322

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Ted Beari

Likes (Received): 0

da Pit...Updated

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...p-12249824.php
Ted Beari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 02:23 AM   #13
BarbaricManchurian
pooh bear

Old June 29th, 2018, 10:03 PM   #14
Hudson11
Go Yanks!

quite a sight!

Point of Interest: Stamford’s ‘hole in the ground’ taking shape

Quote:
A spokesman said there has been “great progress on construction” on the large-scale, mixed-use development, a so-called “Stamford Urby.” It is expected to be completed next summer.

Old August 15th, 2018, 07:06 PM   #15
BarbaricManchurian
pooh bear

Old October 10th, 2019, 05:39 PM   #17
Hudson11
Go Yanks!

Former ‘Hole in the Ground’ now boasts luxury apartments