Do you think L.A live will bring life to L.A - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > City of Los Angeles

City of Los Angeles Central Core | Downtown | Hollywood | Mid-City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #1
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 12

Do you think L.A live will bring life to L.A

Do you think L.A live will Bring action to los angles
Joey313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Fern~Fern*
Shaken, never Stirred

Likes (Received): 518

That's an important key to the cities success. Wether is for a hockey game, concert, or visiting the convention center for business.

Joey ,in the future don't start any city vs city threads. Read the warning on top of the LA forum....... In the past it got dirty and it was really un~necessary..... Welcome to the LA forum, now go to roll call!!!!!
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #3
alex3000
I'm not Chinese

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey313
I hope.

I wish DTLA (CBD area) had something similar to Universal City Walk too.
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #4
archd1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey313
Let's re-phrase that: Will LA Live bring action to Downtown LA? We have a lot of "action" here in LA--there's Hollywood, the Sunset strip, Venice Beach, Hermosa beach, etc. Yes, definitley, LA Live will be a must-see, go-to place in downtown once completed. Where would 20,000 fans in Staples Center (events are held here 300 days of the year), plus the 15,000 or so conventioneers at the LA Convention Center (150 events a year), 36,000 USC faculty and students, plus the 20,000 or so new residents in the area go when they want some R&R close by? I think LA Live is going to be great and I can't wait!

Click on this link to see more LA Live renderings:
http://www.aegworldwide.com/04_future/losangeles.html

Last edited by archd1; May 7th, 2006 at 11:10 AM.
archd1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #5
CarsonCaliBrotha

Anything to replace all these damn surface parking lots can bring Downtown LA to life. They should replace some of the bigger ones with parks. That'd bring some more life to it too. Also, DTLA needs more places to eat, both national chains and local stores. Its mostly delis around the Staples Center area, I don't wanna eat that granola food. It costs too much.
CarsonCaliBrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #6
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

LA Live is going to be way better than CityWalk, just an opinion. Why?, because CityWalk only has US next to it. LA Live has the Staples Center, cbd, Disney Hall, MOCA, ect at walking distance. For the more conventional Angelino there is the "callejones", and that's a major.
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #7
archd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES
LA Live is going to be way better than CityWalk, just an opinion.
For some reason I never really liked City Walk. It's a nice outdoor mall, very successful, well planned and interesting but completely removed from the fabric and pulse of our city. It is what it is----another mall and another money making venture for Universal.

Last edited by archd1; May 6th, 2006 at 09:32 PM.
archd1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #8
Fern~Fern*
Shaken, never Stirred

Citywalk is a money maker for Universal. They do have a lot to offer but what's up with the parking situation. Everytime I go the rate is always higher and higher. That's a turn off and your better off heading to the Media Center in burbank. I really hope LA Live doesn't turn out the same way.....
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #9
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 363

Ride the Red Line Ferney! And if you are going to Burbank(i.e. The Valley) to salve your entertainment desire we really need to get you out of that car!
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #10
CarsonCaliBrotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism
Citywalk is a money maker for Universal. They do have a lot to offer but what's up with the parking situation. Everytime I go the rate is always higher and higher. That's a turn off and your better off heading to the Media Center in burbank. I really hope LA Live doesn't turn out the same way.....
Well, why would you pay all that when you can park at a station and ride the Red Line to CityWalk?
CarsonCaliBrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #11
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

The Red Line, I jsut hate it when all of a sudden it stops in the middle of the tunnel. Everytime I ride it it happens, but never happen is any other subway line.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #12
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Btw, that rendeing of LA Live on the left side is new, it also kicks ass.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #13
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 12

other than "L.A live" here is some thing that could give life to L.A

CULTURAL/ENTERTAINMENT

ANGELS FLIGHT RECONSTRUCTION

John Welborne, president of the Angels Flight Railway Foundation, said the storied funicular that links Bunker Hill and the Historic Core should be open by summer. The two cars, Sinai and Olivet, have been repaired, and last June volunteers cleaned and painted the two stations. The short railway closed after a Feb. 1, 2001 accident in which one car slid down the track and crashed into the other, killing one person and injuring seven.

CALIFORNIA SCIENCE CENTER[/U]

The Exposition Park facility is in the middle of an $80 million expansion of its World of Ecology wing, which when completed in 2009 will include a series of interactive exhibits and live habitats. It's the second of three phases; the first included the main museum, a parking facility and a school. The third phase will house the air and space collection. The entire project is scheduled for completion in 2013.

CENTRAL AVENUE ART PARK

A three-acre public art park on the block bounded by First, Judge John Aiso, Temple and Alameda streets is still several years away. There is currently a parking lot on the site, and the project must wait until the new police headquarters parking facility is completed. Groundbreaking for the new lot should begin by July, said city Chief Legislative Analyst Gerry Miller. He added that formal designs for the art park will not be ready for at least a year.

CONVENTION CENTER HOTEL

Last month, officials announced that KB Home is partnering with Anschutz Entertainment Group on the Convention Center hotel next to Staples Center. Former developers Wolff Urban Management and Apollo Real Estate Advisors backed out over rising costs, now pegged at $625 million. The project, which is expected to be finished in three years, is being built concurrently with the L.A. Live entertainment district. The headquarters hotel has been redesigned to include an L-shaped structure at the base of the property. That will hold 900 rooms while 200 luxury rooms will be in the tower. The biggest change in plans comes in the number of condominiums planned for the tower's upper floors; instead of the original 100, the project will now feature 250 high-end units. Developers plan to select a hotel operator in the next month (Hilton had originally been tapped).

ECHO PARK POOL

After three years of disuse, construction began last August on a $6 million renovation of the Department of Recreation and Parks facility at 1410 Colton St. When finished, the heated, indoor pool will feature a new roof, electrical system, locker rooms, bathrooms and showers. Designed by West L.A.-based Frank R. Webb Architects, the upgrades are projected to be complete by October.

FOOTBALL STADIUM

City leaders and Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum officials continue to meet and work with the National Football League over a lease agreement and other issues related to getting an NFL team in the historic Exposition Park venue. However, the league is also meeting with Anaheim representatives. Coliseum plans call for spending upwards of $400 million to convert the facility into an NFL-suitable stadium by reducing the 92,500 seats to 78,000. The renovation would create 200 luxury suites, club level seating, new locker rooms, restrooms and concession areas. Although NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has stated that he wants the league to return to Los Angeles by 2010, a decision on a local stadium could be delayed as the owners seek to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement with the players' association. That issue continues to drag.

GALEN CENTER

The $89 million, 225,000-square-foot USC arena is scheduled to open by August at Figueroa Street and Jefferson Boulevard. Designed by architecture firm HNTB, the 10,258-seat venue will host 130 events a year and serve as the home of the Trojan men's and women's basketball and volleyball teams. The nearly seven-acre complex will include the 55,000-square-foot Athletic Pavilion, which will house three practice gymnasiums and Athletic Department offices. The project will also hold a 1,200-car parking garage.

GANSEVOORT WEST

The demolition stage has begun on the conversion of the former Embassy Hotel and Theater at 851 S. Grand Ave. WSA Management and Chetrit Group plan to turn the nine-story structure into a 175-room boutique hotel. Crews are also restoring the building's 1,800-seat theater. The 1914 structure designed by Thornton Fitzhugh has served at various points as a church, hotel and a facility for USC. As the Trinity Theater, it was home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 1919. Stephen B. Jacobs Group is the architect of the conversion. Kristen Hammer, a spokeswoman for the project, said it is scheduled to open in summer 2007. New York-based WSA is behind the Hotel Gansevoort in Manhattan and is also developing a hotel in Miami.

HARLEM PLACE

A bar and lounge that will occupy the old boiler room in the Higgins Building is nearly complete and a grand opening is scheduled by the summer, said Andrew Meieran, who is partnering on the venture with Marc Smith. Plans for the structure at 108 W. Second St. call for a traditional cocktail lounge in the basement room that once powered the 1910 building. Meieran said he has installed an industrial suspended elevator and a free-floating staircase. He also added a stage for live jazz performances. The bar is named after Harlem Place alley, a narrow lane between Spring and Main streets that once served as the epicenter of the city's music scene. Detailing and finishing touches should be completed within the next few months, said Meieran, who with Barry Shy converted the Higgins Building into 135 apartments two years ago.

L.A. FASHION CENTER

The foundation is complete and construction is underway on a 560,000-square-foot project at 1444 S. San Pedro St. It will house 196 for-purchase retail spaces and showrooms for garment wholesalers and manufacturers as well as a food court, FedEx, UPS and a Korean bank. The plan would allow small business owners to make permanent investments rather than monthly rental payments. The project is also known as LA FACE. The developer is Los Angeles Fashion Center, LLP.

L.A. LIVE

The former parking lot north of Staples Center is fenced off and is active with construction crews digging the foundation for this $2 billion sports and entertainment district. The project broke ground Sept. 15, and is on schedule to open its first phase in spring 2008. Elements include the 7,100-seat Nokia Theatre and the 2,400-seat Club Nokia, as well as restaurants, clubs (including the Conga Room), a 15-screen Regal cineplex, retail and other entertainment venues. The next phase will include a 70,000-square-foot, five-story ESPN broadcast studio, along with an ESPN Zone with retail, a two-level restaurant and an arcade. That structure is expected to be completed in 2009 at the corner of Figueroa and 11th streets. It will be the West Coast headquarters for the company.

LINDA LEA THEATER

Owner Cinema Properties Group recently signed a deal with New York-based ImaginAsian Entertainment to turn the 1920s movie house at 251 S. Main St. into an Asian-themed theater and cultural center. Called ImaginAsian Center, the 300-seat space will host screenings, performances and other events. A cafe serving a Pan-Asian menu is also planned. Culver City-based Hodgetts & Fung is the architect. Although the building is in disrepair now, project officials said construction is expected to finish by this summer.

MERCURY LIQUORS

Andrew Meieran intends to bring a bit of classic Hollywood nightlife to Downtown with his transformation of a former bank vault in the basement of the Los Angeles Trust and Savings Bank Building at 215 W. Sixth St. The retro bar has been slightly delayed by condo conversions taking place in the building above, but work should resume by the end of summer. The 6,000-square-foot basement will feature white marble floors, walnut wood paneling, polished stainless steel walls and much of the original architecture, including the vault's 38-ton circular door. The bar was previously known as "Bills."

NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM

Moves to update and expand the Natural History Museum are still on hold, said museum spokeswoman Jennifer Westfall. The Exposition Park museum is raising funds for the expansion, which has been pegged at about $300 million. Architect Stephen Holl completed a master plan several years ago.

SEVEN GRAND

Developer 213 Ventures hopes to start construction by March on a 4,500-square-foot whiskey bar on the second floor of 515 W. Seventh St. Project Manager Leann Rupprecht said the bar will also sell cigars and have live music. The cost is about $1 million. Construction is set to wrap by June, she said. The building, which also houses the developer's offices, is the former headquarters of Clifton's Cafeteria. Rupprecht said the company, headed by Cedd Moses, is looking for a restaurant operator for the first floor space.

VARIETY ARTS CENTER

Officials from Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) have indicated that they may redevelop the Variety Arts Center at 940 S. Figueroa St. in South Park. The 1924 property sits a few blocks from AEG's $2 billion L.A. Live entertainment complex, which broke ground last September. The Variety Arts Center is a registered historic cultural monument. The five-story Italian Renaissance-inspired building contains a 1,000-seat theater, a smaller theater, nightclub space, a lounge, a library and offices. It was built as the headquarters for the Los Angeles Friday Morning Club, a women's organization.

WILSHIRE GRAND HOTEL

In May, the Wilshire Grand Los Angeles at 930 Wilshire Blvd. will begin a $40 million renovation that will ultimately upgrade the hotel ballrooms, meeting venues, common areas, restaurants and all 900 guest rooms. The renovation was spurred by the $2 billion L.A. Live entertainment complex, including the Convention Center headquarters hotel, which is expected to boost demand for all Downtown hotel rooms. The four-year overhaul will be designed by Long Beach-based architect Concepts Four, and will include some structural changes.
Joey313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #14
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

I thought the list was "other LA Live stuff" I saw the Hilton aka LA Live, and LA Live itslef there. I am looking forward to the re-opening of the Angels Flight.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #15
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3362

Universal Citywalk isn't that bad at all. As for LA Live, it definitely will bring alot of activities in downtown.

Isn't the city's downtown suppose to be the centre of most activities?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #16
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES
The Red Line, I jsut hate it when all of a sudden it stops in the middle of the tunnel. Everytime I ride it it happens, but never happen is any other subway line.

Must've never rode the NYC subway.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #17
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Indeed never.
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #18
DaimosLA

Wanch, unfortunately, downtown LA doesn't have a lot of activities at night, a few restaurants, a couple of bars, and the Grand Avenue district (where the Disney Concert Hall and the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion are). Downtown LA is somewhat dead after-office hours.

Citywalk (in my opinion) is one tourist trap. It has that "fake" or artificial street life. Who,from LA, goes here anyways?

I just hope that LA Live will not turn into the Citywalk. The developer should make it a point to integrate the development to downtown's look and feel, something that would not stand out so much that it looks so different and like I stated earlier, "artificial" LA Live should be pedestrian-friendly.
DaimosLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #19
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

I think we need some "Third Street Promenades" and or "The Groves" in DTLA which seem to be quite successful and attract many.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #20
Fern~Fern*
Shaken, never Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
I think we need some "Third Street Promenades" and or "The Groves" in DTLA which seem to be quite successful and attract many.
The grove is the same thing as Citywalk. Just not on a hill or next to Universal. I would like to see sometime similar to 3rd St promenade in Downtown. My selection of street would be Hope St from 7th to Olympic. Since not too much activity goes on that street anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement