LOS ANGELES UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > City of Los Angeles

City of Los Angeles Central Core | Downtown | Hollywood | Mid-City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #21
vicecityguy

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinedude
A very nice collection, latennisguy, but I spotted three caption errors. I guess it was vicecityguy (or his source) who made them, but I don't know where his thread was so I'll correct them here.

First, the picture labeled " Union Bank" is actually one of the apartment towers near the north end of Bunker Hill, on the big block between 1st, 2nd, Grand and Flower I think (I haven't actually been there in ages.) The pic shows Figueroa and 2nd in the foreground (200 S. block), and you can see the entrance to the 2nd Street tunnel. Union Bank, of course, is on the other side of Figueroa at 5th. Insane Los Ange posted the same error farther up the page.

Second, more a clarification than a correction, the picture labeled "Bunker Hill" shows City Hall in the background to the right, so the hilly neighborhood in the foreground is the northerly neighbor of Bunker Hill, which used to be called Pound Cake Hill. That name goes all the way back to my grandparents' day, so I doubt if many people remember it anymore. I'm guessing that the construction going on in the foreground has to do with the building of the Hollywood Freeway, which pretty much wiped out the whole center of Pound Cake Hill. The age of the cars on the street (apparently Figueroa again) dates the picture in the late 1940's era, which would be right for freeway construction.

Third is the picture captioned "Pershing Square", though Pershing Square was never on a hillside such as that. I'm about 99% sure that the view is actually south along Hope Street from the site of the downtown Library. This was the former location of the Los Angeles branch of the state Normal School (teacher's college) which eventually became California State University at Los Angeles. It was situated athwart 5th Street's current right-of-way between Grand and Flower until some time in the 1920's. When the school moved to Vermont Avenue (LACC's current campus), the old Victorian pile it had occupied was demolished, 5th Street was cut through, and the new Library built on the southern part of the former campus.

Yes, some errors were mine and some were from the source. Thanks for the props latennisguy... I posted that a long time ago! Nice see again! Glad everyone is enjoying them once again!!!
vicecityguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #22
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

I thought about this right now. In 75 years some internet guy is going to be looking at the South Park construtions LA Live, Luma, Hanover... etc, as we look at the Biltmore Hotel, Johnathan Club and City Hall..crazy.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #23
godblessbotox

Likes (Received): 28

i think by then the skyscrapercity forums servers will have rotted away quite nicely
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #24
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism
^ Wow..... I like this class, Los Angeles from yesterday 101.

Who ever said the Internet is not educational and informative. You need to check yourself fool. Even I am learning new thingys like (Pound Cake Hill).

Los Angeles is like a box of cracker jacks, you just never know what you'll get next.
I completely love the name Pound Cake Hill! Can we bring it back?
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement