Congo-Brazzaville | Country Gallery - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Republic of the Congo

Republic of the Congo Congo-Brazzaville

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 19612

Congo-Brazzaville | Country Gallery

Although I have never been to Congo-Brazzaville I would like to present it to the forumers. Congo-Brazzaville is definitely socially, politically and economically the better of the "two Congos" (even though it is not a "showpiece" country in the central african sub-region considering the crazy late 90īs of Congo-Brazzavilleīs history). It is easily mixed up with Congo-Kinshasa/Zaire (fomerly Belgian Congo). Congo-Brazzaville was a former French colony and it belongs to the CFA Franc zone which is not the case for Congo-Kinshasa.

Map of Congo

BASIC FACTS

Natural resources:
petroleum, timber, potash, lead, zinc, uranium, copper, phosphates, gold, magnesium, natural gas, hydropower

Population: 3,702,314 Million

Ethnic groups:
Kongo 48%, Sangha 20%, M'Bochi 12%, Teke 17%, around 8000-10 000 French, several thousands of Lebanese; Chinese and other non-African people

Languages:
French (official), Lingala and Monokutuba (lingua franca trade languages), many local languages and dialects (of which Kikongo is the most widespread)

Economy - overview:
The economy is a mixture of village agriculture and handicrafts, an industrial sector based largely on oil, support services, and a government characterized by overstaffing. Oil has supplanted forestry as the mainstay of the economy, providing a major share of government revenues and exports. In the early 1980s, rapidly rising oil revenues enabled the government to finance large-scale development projects with GDP growth averaging 8% annually, one of the highest rates in Africa at that time . The government has mortgaged a substantial portion of its oil earnings through oil-backed loans that have contributed to a growing debt burden and chronic revenue shortfalls. Denis SASSOU-NGUESSO, who returned to power in October 1997, publicly expressed interest in moving forward on economic reforms and privatization and in renewing cooperation with international financial institutions. Recovery of oil prices has boosted the economy's GDP and near-term prospects. The Republic of Congo may be eligible for an IMF-World Bank heavily indebted poor countries (HIPC) initiative in early 2006, provided it meets the strict fiscal and monetary targets set out for it under a new three-year Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility (PRGF) with the IMF.

GDP - composition by sector:
agriculture: 6.2%
industry: 57%
services: 36.9% (2005 est.)

Exports - partners:
China 39.1%, US 29.1%, Taiwan 11.8%, South Korea 7.2% (2005)

Imports - partners:
France 34.6%, China 12.6%, US 9%, Italy 8.3%, Belgium 5.7%, Netherlands 4.7% (2005)

This is the capital Brazzaville which has around 700 000 to 800 000 inhabitants

French cultural centre

poor quarters of Brazzaville, also inhabited by refugees from Congo-Kinshasa

this old historic building must certainly have seen better days....

oil company building. it was built in 1989 but still looks quite impressive

when it was under constuction....

it glistens beautifully in the sun when the sky is clear...

rush hour Brazzaville style

Le Meridien hotel

...TO BE CONTINUED
Matthias Offodile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #2
Matthias Offodile

cleaning the streets.....

abandoned buildings....

Brazzaville mausoleum under construction

entry to a school, the architecture is really funny

supermarket in front

statue of General de Gaulle

open air markets

street scene

a church

Old October 8th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #3
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 410

looks like an interesting place with alot of potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Very Controversial
Support The Environment

Likes (Received): 4

Very green city.
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Matthias Offodile

I got some more Brazzaville pics to add

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

rubbish dumped at the roadside

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

picture of the mauseleum of Sarvogan de Brazza (explorer and founder of the city Brazzaville) which has been recently completed

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

while u/c

image hosted on flickr

this buildings is attached to the Mausoleum

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some Congolese people in Brazzaville

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Matthias Offodile

Here is one old Brazzaville photos probably 60īs or 70īs

Old April 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #7
Matthias Offodile

Photos of Pointe Noire

This is Congo-Brazzavilleīs second largest city (where the new airport got built on another thread)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

some untarred (side) roads in Pointe Noire

image hosted on flickr

posh people in Pointe Noire

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

old but beautiful central station of Pointe Noire

open market area

way to a Lebanese snack bar

beach in Pointe Noire

fresh from the sea

some art work

a hotel in Pointe Noire

a newly built beach eco-lodge in Pointe Noire (it is said on their webside)

Old April 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Cocolicchio
Excessively Rational

Likes (Received): 13

Unfortunately, much of Africa is very underrated in other parts of the world I have a friend who comes from Congo Kin and she's always telling me that it is possible to see Congo Brazza from across the river. Point Noire looks reasonably developed to me and it's not even the capital! I'd love to stay at one of those lodges from the eco-tourist resort shown in these pictures. By the way I'd like to introduce myself here. I'm Coccolichio and I'm very interested in Africa and it's cultures a lot of my best friends are African and the things they've told me about this continent fascinate me.

Best regards

Filand liked this post
Cocolicchio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #9
subfire

Likes (Received): 0

great photos, cute girls too
subfire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #10
DanteXavier

Likes (Received): 6

I am very happy to see these pictures! The place actually does look to be somewhat decent overall, and that can be suprisin given the troubles suffered by its neighbor that have probably affected the Republic somewhat.

I al ready that according to the Human Development Index, the Republic of the Congo has risen up to medium development status!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index

A good job to that country!
DanteXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
Unfortunately, much of Africa is very underrated in other parts of the world I have a friend who comes from Congo Kin and she's always telling me that it is possible to see Congo Brazza from across the river. Point Noire looks reasonably developed to me and it's not even the capital! I'd love to stay at one of those lodges from the eco-tourist resort shown in these pictures. By the way I'd like to introduce myself here. I'm Coccolichio and I'm very interested in Africa and it's cultures a lot of my best friends are African and the things they've told me about this continent fascinate me.

Best regards
Great to have you here, you are welcome!
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #12
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
I am very happy to see these pictures! The place actually does look to be somewhat decent overall, and that can be suprisin given the troubles suffered by its neighbor that have probably affected the Republic somewhat.
Dantexavier, Congo-Brazzaville is certainly not Gabon but it also looks generally decent to me, too.
Unfortunately, all the achievements of the 80īs have been washed away by the years of civil war in Congo-Brazzaville that followed in the late 90īs which also cost many human lives, was very destructive to its social and physical infrastructure and led to the abrupt exodus of around 20 000 Europeans, many of whom were born there and had their own business in Congo-Brazzaville. The country hasnīt even yet found back to the status it had in the 80īs from what I have read and know....and corruption is rampant...but as more and more Chinese flood into Congo (the current president is very keen on making business with them) there seems to be renewed hope for a longer lasting economic rivival. Letīs not forget Congo-Brazzaville is a rich country and Sub-saharaīs Africa fourth largest oil producer (after Nigeria, Angola and Equatorial Guinea).
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #13
Matthias Offodile

Café/Patisserie in Congo-Brazzaville

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #14
DanteXavier

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
Dantexavier, Congo-Brazzaville is certainly not Gabon but it also looks generally decent to me, too.
Unfortunately, all the achievements of the 80īs have been washed away by the years of civil war in Congo-Brazzaville that followed in the late 90īs which also cost many human lives, was very destructive to its social and physical infrastructure and led to the abrupt exodus of around 20 000 Europeans, many of whom were born there and had their own business in Congo-Brazzaville. The country hasnīt even yet found back to the status it had in the 80īs from what I have read and know....and corruption is rampant...but as more and more Chinese flood into Congo (the current president is very keen on making business with them) there seems to be renewed hope for a longer lasting economic rivival. Letīs not forget Congo-Brazzaville is a rich country and Sub-saharaīs Africa fourth largest oil producer (after Nigeria, Angola and Equatorial Guinea).
I hear that there is a lot of potential for more oil production in the future, and while corruption is still really bad, things still seem to be looking up a bit for the place.
DanteXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #15
StormShadow

Likes (Received): 242

image hosted on flickr
StormShadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:01 PM   #16
Matthias Offodile

Where does this thread come from all of a sudden?

It was created in October last year (!!!) and when I searched for it, i couldnīt find it anymore, so there is another one with more up-to-date pictures in the meatime.

Could the mod please delete this thread here...because two Brazzaville threads is really one too much.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #17
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 3361

I'm Congolese and despite the fact i live my whole life in France, i had the chance to pass holidays summer several times.

Brazzaville is a now a pathetic capital! . A big potential wasted by corupted politics and civil wars between Sassou n'guesso and Pascal lissouba in the end of 90's

This country has agrculture and petrol potential!
The green you see is true!! Congo owns Tropical forest!! It was a sweet place to live in the 80's !!

No hospital , no good university although their Gabon neighbor has a dictator like Bongo too , but he builds his country (i don't like him at all).

Congo should has been another Gabon! But stupidity and corruption with the aid of French companies like Elf total gave all the tools to keep alive tribalistic tensions and wars (like in Angola)!!

It is sad because fench people who lived in Congo apreciated very very the sweetness of this country!

It's true that you can see Brazzaville when you are in kinshas (Republic democratic) and You can see Kinshasa when you're in Brazzaville.

An old project to link the two capital by a long bridge still to be this same old fantasm!!

A lot of writers are congolese. The died Sony Tansi labou for example who wrote nice books.

A population of 2-3 million people who failed to build " a little Switzerland"...

It is sad!All this potential wasted

Concerning pointe noire it is the Petrol capital for the congo. All companies Exxon,ElfTotalfina are there.

Pointe noire alongside atlantic ocean has great beaches!!!!
Underrated potential, it's sure!!

Foreigners love it because they can surf for example.

Brazzaville la belle has lost his reputation (Kinshasa too)

I hope these two capital will emerge again like the majority of African capital!!

StormShadow-->PS:The big tower you show is the " Nabemba tower" It is an office tower.

My father had an office when he worked for the government. It was in 1992 and i visit it . I was 17 at this time. Now i'm 32!!
he view and landscape is very spectacular from this tower!!!!
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #18
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
Congo should have been another Gabon! But stupidity and corruption with the aid of French companies like Elf total gave all the tools to keep alive tribalistic tensions and wars (like in Angola)!!
please, inform yourself better about Angola, the country is no longer at war..it is rebuilding quickly.... and please stop blaming the company Elf for the any countryīs failure, Total also pumps oil in major oil producing countries just like in Venezuela, Nigeria, Angola, Ecuador, Oman and Qataris are very keen to work with French expertise in the filed of gas exploration (Total).

What I noticed (nothing agsinst you) is that people in (some) francophone Africa often behave like children instead of like grown-ups, they blame "every little fly that drops dead" to some external forces that is there to ruin their country (take the Ivory Coast: it is no secret that the country flourished due to the active presence of France in the past especially the period from 1960-1993, the massive support of foreign cheap labour from surrounding countries and the firm but benign guidance of autocratic rule by a man whom I greatly respect, personally not for his wrongs but for his rights)... people in English-speaking Africa are much more self-critical and look into their own mirror, someone just have to visit an forum in Ghana or Nigeria and compare it to the often childish and unreflected argumenst raised by some people in (some) francophone African countries. Nothing against you, it is just a general observation.

PEACE , brother!
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #19
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 3361

Matthias-> you seem to be inteligent and i don't want a polemic brother but here in France Every person who is intersted in Africa in general and land like Congo in perticular KNOWS which is the influence of such companies in the civil war of the 90's . I'm congolese and i know better than you what happened in this country. it's not paranoia.

Even a great french channel here in France made a Tv serie about one of the most GREAT SCANDAL of a national company!!! Trust me.

Even the 3 of Elf team management were in jail for this!! Judge Eva Joly led invastigations about this "affair".Omar bongo was furious because his name was implicated in this case!! Askgabonese people!

I 'm not here to polemic man but i know BETTER than you what happened in the country where i was born. Please respect my allegations.

To finish. i suggest to people to visit this FANTASTIC country.Land, Forest Sea!! Generous nature!!

Last edited by Axelferis; January 28th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.
Axelferis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #20
Matthias Offodile

I am aware of what happened and I even saw the report on TV myself, but there are even more sides to the "truth"! There are no simple solution to any problem! thinsg are always intransparent and complex to the outsider.

Total like any big oil company is an unscrupulous conglomerate and it wants to make CASH ,the more the better. it is not in Africa nor anywhere else to give handouts and if Total is able to topple governments in Africa (something which I know they were involved in Congo-Brazzaville in the 90s) it is not just Totalīs fault but the faults of lack of "reliable structureīand morale from both sides".

Total doesnīt go to Qatar and topple governments or to Oman. They work well in those countries where oil and gas resseves are much much larger than that of Congo-Brazzaville

Same case for Shell in Nigeria, Shell wins prices for responsible mamagement in Oman 8you can google for it or look at their website or check respective Omani English speaking internet sites), the very same Shell company that went into so much trouble in Nigeria and is made responsible for the mess in Southern Nigeria.

It is an open secret that a state Chinese oil company is making weapon deals in and African countrywhich I donīt want to name here and rumours are even there that they are arming conflicting parties.

Do you know why they are able to do it? Because of lack of law and very weak institutions and morale of people that sell their own country for a "rice bowl" literally speaking.

So Africa needs strong and functioning instituions
(like in the Gulf States) and stop being so incredibly naive and greedy by selling their own brothers and sisters all the time!

This really frustrates me a lot.

So having disburdened my mind, letīs return to the topic of the thread, please which is showing photos and not arguing about nerve-wreaking politics, something which we always tend to lapse into in this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement