Northgate Development News and Photos - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #1
citruspastels

Likes (Received): 3

Northgate Development News and Photos

Hey, just got back from Northgate and realized there wasn't much reporting at SkyscraperCity on what is going on up there. So I'm gonna start my first thread on it! Sorry if this has already been covered...

507 Northgate-
Anchored by Circuit City, the building will feature 163 apartments above 55,000 SF of retail, with covered parking and easy access from I-5.

construction photo-

Thornton Place at Northgate-
A 6-acre Mixed-use development which will contain approximately 50,000 square feet of retail space, a 14 screen cinema, 109 condominiums and 278 market rate apartments all constructed over an estimated 850 parking spaces.

Has Thornton Creek running through it!-

Mayor's plan for Northgate-
http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/issues/northgate/

Building Northgate (DPD)
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Planning/...ts/default.asp

Lorig's Website on Thornton Place-
http://www.lorig.com/d_thornton.htm

I remember coming here 3 years ago and thinking Northgate would be perfect for infill development. SO glad to see it's finally happening. Once they get light rail up there it will surely be an excellent urban center. Kinda wish there was a big park up there though... The small one next to the library is cool but I really like living near something bigger that acts as an oasis from the city life.

Cheers!
citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #2
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3771

We've talked a little about these but it really is time for a thread. Thanks.

I didn't know 507 had started. Quite a few woodframe starts (or apparent starts) we're hearing about this week along with a couple at Green Lake, Bellevue, Aurora & John, two in Renton, et al.

My question on Thorton Place is whether it's started yet. Including the senior housing part across the stream.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #3
citruspastels

Likes (Received): 3

I didn't snap a photo, but Thornton Place is definitely under way. It's huge! I was suprised to see how far both of these projects have come along. Last time I was up there I didn't see any digging at all.

Thornton Place is about as far along as 507 at this point... only WAYYY bigger. Not sure about the senior project; didn't know about that one.

Also, improvements to the mall are coming along nicely. I suppose you can call them improvements.... not too hard to do that with Northgate. I wish they would build one or two more parking structures like the cool new one they got and then either develop the rest of the sea of parking or convert it to green space. The new stuff doesn't quite kick the blight completely.

Here are some light rail photos for good measure. Let's hope they can get this segment up in a decent timeline if we vote for ST2. Also, if the Roosevelt station is underground, where is the line going to break through the ground and switch to elevated?-

citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #4
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2080

yeah, the 103rd street project is a HUGE hole in the ground right now. I looked that up on the land use bulletin page, and it just came up as a "regrading" project. Cool to see that will be a big new town center type development.
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #5
mhays
Journeyman

Great to hear Thorton Place has started! How about the senior housing across the creek? If so, that would be over 650 units just in the projects mentioned here.

Northgate has a very long way to go. The mall itself has grown and slightly densified with some new retail and one or two parking garages to replace a bit of their surface parking. Now I hope they densify further. Some condos over additional garages in their existing lots would be great. Another improvement would be a skybridge from the transit center (already it has decent service) to the community college.
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #6
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 241

Wow! I heard some of these incoming projects that are happening in Northgate but never seen these renderings before. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad we got a thread that focus on Northgate area. It always helpful for anyone to keep up with projects that are happening in the Puget Sounds. I'm happy to hear that Northgate is improving lately.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #7
pwalker

Likes (Received): 68

Thanks, Crazy for bringing this one up. I grew up not too far from Northgate, and that was my family's main shopping outlet. The area around it has been under-utilized for way too long, and it is nice to see the area FINALLY starting to become something. It has such a great location, near I-5, and really the "center" of the the northend. Go Northgate!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #8
PDXPaul

Likes (Received): 0

I went to the target in the 'northgate north' complex. That parking garage is insane! It's like a 40% grade coming from the street, and no one knows how to park in there either. Damn mini cooper taking up two spots... wtf!

Great to see the woodframes though, all over north Seattle. Another 20 years of this and we'll start to look like a real city
PDXPaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #9
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXPaul View Post
Damn mini cooper taking up two spots... wtf!
I'm surprised that nobody vandal that mini cooper for took two spots. I always see some vehicles in Seattle metro area that took two spots got vandalized.
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:03 PM   #10
BoulderGrad

Can see from I-5, there's a construction crane going up at the thorton place site. Moving along nicely
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:34 AM   #11
pwalker

Did anyone see the article in one of the papers today about the Roosevelt area trying to build 10-story buildings? A lot of opposition in this neighborhood to this kind of density.

Point: Seatteites want greater density, understand that it is important, but when it comes to "THEIR" neighborhood, no way! NIMBY at its best! These type of arguments will continue and little progress at greater density in the outer neighborhoods will ever reach any type of concencus.
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:05 AM   #12
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Did anyone see the article in one of the papers today about the Roosevelt area trying to build 10-story buildings? A lot of opposition in this neighborhood to this kind of density.

Point: Seatteites want greater density, understand that it is important, but when it comes to "THEIR" neighborhood, no way! NIMBY at its best! These type of arguments will continue and little progress at greater density in the outer neighborhoods will ever reach any type of concencus.
Heh, I'm assuming they were referring to the land owned by Sisley? The argument against it is that a 10 story in Roosevelt would look like a 100 story downtown. most of the surrounding buildings are 1-2 stories, and even the biggest buildings (of which, I count 2) are a max of 6. The neighborhood assn is pushing more for 5-6 story buildings instead for a more walkable neighborhood.
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:16 AM   #13
PDXPaul

I agree, I think if we can keep building these 4-6 story wood frames not just in Seattle but all over the metro area it'll do a lot for density. The townhouses help too.

That being said, 10 stories isn't that tall, and a 10 story among 4-6 stories isn't that tall either.
PDXPaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM   #14
CrazyAboutCities

I agree. It would do good for Seattle metro area just for now and meet the growth needs.
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:05 AM   #15
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Likes (Received): 166

For years the Northgate area kind of fell behind the other suburbs, and finally it appears they are working on improving overall. I'm glad to see this change.
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #16
BoulderGrad

Crane is up at the 507 Northgate site now
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #17
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXPaul View Post
I went to the target in the 'northgate north' complex. That parking garage is insane! It's like a 40% grade coming from the street, and no one knows how to park in there either. Damn mini cooper taking up two spots... wtf!

Great to see the woodframes though, all over north Seattle. Another 20 years of this and we'll start to look like a real city
The parking problems are probably because it was one of the first mixed-use developments in Seattle, back when we probably didn't know much about mixed-use developments. I don't like the parking garage either. It's too damn crowded. Go park at the mall instead and walk a few feet across the street.
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #18
steric

Not to be pedantic, but Northgate is a neighborhood, not a suburb. It includes four smaller hoods called Haller Lake, where Bill Gates and Paul Allen programmed their first tic tac toe game in high school, Licton Springs, where David Denny spent his last years and the springs which dripped down to create Green Lake. I don't know what to say about Pinehurst other than it appreciated the most of any neighborhood according to Seattle mag last year, and Maple Leaf which is more like Ravenna than the shopping mall section people know. It's great to see development going up, but why not build some actual skyscrapers? On the Licton Sprgs side there are already a few 10 or so story buildings, it's not like they would clash, and plenty of existing population density related to NSCC.
steric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #19
pwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steric View Post
Not to be pedantic, but Northgate is a neighborhood, not a suburb. It includes four smaller hoods called Haller Lake, where Bill Gates and Paul Allen programmed their first tic tac toe game in high school, Licton Springs, where David Denny spent his last years and the springs which dripped down to create Green Lake. I don't know what to say about Pinehurst other than it appreciated the most of any neighborhood according to Seattle mag last year, and Maple Leaf which is more like Ravenna than the shopping mall section people know. It's great to see development going up, but why not build some actual skyscrapers? On the Licton Sprgs side there are already a few 10 or so story buildings, it's not like they would clash, and plenty of existing population density related to NSCC.
Exactly the point. 10-story+ buildings already exist in the neighborhood. OK, we want density. How do we get there?

IMHO, Seattle should open up several neighborhoods, perhaps Roosevelt being one of them, to allow for mid-rise development. Tie it in to future light rail if possible. Northgate is another. Lake City, the U-district could use higher limits.

Problem is, you poll Seattleites, and they want higher density. Poll them if they want mid-rises, and they say no. I guess we will become a city of 4-story townhomes. Not sure that will solve the problem.
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #20
mhays
Journeyman

Good luck getting Seattleites to agree to highrises outside core areas. We don't even allow them anymore in the U District.

But I'd love to see a bunch of them around Northgate Mall. Replace the surface lots with garages and build a dozen towers. I don't know the surrounding area at all, but the NE side seems like a good area for another highrise district.

That said, it's remarkable how much density can be added with lowrises. Often a six-story building that covers the whole site has as many (or more) units as some other cities get with a tower surrounded by landscaping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement