Northgate Development News and Photos - Page 13 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2019, 04:44 PM   #241
Seasun

Likes (Received): 1715

Putting the huge ice rink building in the middle of the site seems like a great way to create a boring pedestrian experience with long treks between anything interesting. The fancy paving and landscaping shown in the packet probably won't be enough to entice me back to this place.

A bit interesting to see section drawings 8 and 9 show the service tunnel (roughly where the current one is?) under 3rd Ave. I think I'd prefer a hierarchy of streets where there are back of house/service uses (alleys) and then really pleasant and interesting retail frontages, cafes, etc. Making everything nice and attractive seems to dilute the good stuff to the point of irrelevance on such a large scale site.

iogeon liked this post

Last edited by Seasun; February 19th, 2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2019, 05:04 PM   #242
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 10374

From todays DJC.

https://www.djc.com/news/ae/12119236.html

February 19, 2019

Northgate redo now offers fewer curbs, more trees, ‘svelte' streets

By BRIAN MILLER
Journal Staff Reporter

Simon Property Group's planned makeover of its 55-acre Northgate Mall is so huge that different city design reviews tackle different components of the project, which is being overseen by GGLO.

Being emphasized this month is the look and feel of Northgate's redevelopment to shoppers, pedestrians, commuters and office workers — how they'll navigate the new terrain.

GGLO and Simon are selling the project, which has no stated budget, as “a walkable, mixed-use, transit-oriented district, with a special focus on active and healthy lifestyles.”

In general, last fall's scheme upped the offices, added a second hotel and decreased the retail from its current size. JCPenney and Macy's will leave. Nordstrom's future is unclear.

Many streets will be winding, with curbless sidewalks, with some small surface parking areas and some angled parking stalls to decrease vehicular speed. Curb bulbs and cobblestones are also planned.

Simon expects 22,000 daily riders when Northgate Station opens to light rail in 2021. And it notes, “Brick and mortar shopping still accounts for 90 percent of all retail sales, and as a result, well-positioned properties continue to thrive.”

An amphitheater will flank this park at the center of the new urban village.

Old February 19th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #243
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6583

I wonder if you don’t work or live there, or use the Northgate transit options, will there be any reason to go to Northgate? I don’t mean it as a slam on this redevelopment, it’s just that I don’t see it as any sort of regional draw.

Quote:
JCPenney and Macy's will leave. Nordstrom's future is unclear
If Nordstrom is to stay they will apparently be getting a new building. The site plan clearly shows the old Nordstrom space as a different shape.

Last edited by Capitol Hill; February 19th, 2019 at 05:35 PM.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2019, 10:04 PM   #244
zbsfan

Likes (Received): 145

"it's just that I don't see it as any sort of regional draw."

Why should it be? The current mall is by no means a "regional" draw. It's a small scale local mall (like Factoria) that draws the immediate neighborhood. People haven't driven across the "region" to go to Northgate since probably the 50s. Northgate is for people who live close and don't want to go "all the way" downtown, or god forbid Lynnwood or Southcenter. It's a local mall, much like University Village. I see this as more similar to University Village than say Southcenter. It will have lots of stores but not the same mega-box stores as now (i.e. Macy's) similar to U Village. But with all the people living at/near...AND being directly on the light rail station, it should be more "transit" friendly than U Village (which is largely a car centric mall). I would seriously consider movie theater there, even if small. It would help cement it as different than U Village...having a park area, movies, food, ice skating, etc...makes it more of "destination" for a day/date place than JUST a small mall to go "buy stuff then go home". This space isn't going to compete against the GIANT malls (Southcenter or Bellevue) and shouldn't try. It has to be something DIFFERENT.

AzChristopher liked this post
zbsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:54 PM   #245
Capitol Hill

The movie theater is already there at Thornton Creek, and fairly new.

Seasun, GatsbyGatz liked this post
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:33 AM   #246
testdrive

Likes (Received): 2018

double post
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #247
testdrive

Likes (Received): 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I wonder if you don’t work or live there, or use the Northgate transit options, will there be any reason to go to Northgate? I don’t mean it as a slam on this redevelopment, it’s just that I don’t see it as any sort of regional draw..
Te NHL 3 rink complex is one thing that will be a draw. If they can parley that with a few other things then it will be.
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 08:02 PM   #248
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 1024

Will there be a tech building that could serve Amazon/Microsoft etc. workforce? This is a prime area for big education/healthcare expansion.
mSeattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 09:51 PM   #249
zbsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
The movie theater is already there at Thornton Creek, and fairly new.
Exactly...that's my point. That sort of thing makes the 'area' (if walkable) more of a destination. They already have a big multi-plex, maybe a art theater, or even a live/play theater. The point is, you can't JUST b a strip with a few shops anymore, competing against the online retail world. If you want people to get in their cars and DRIVE to your "mall/center/area" you have to have more now than just a Best Buy and a few surrounding stores. There needs to be a REASON to go there (shopping, dinner, movie/play, skating, etc). Make it a fun place to be, not just a "shopping mall".
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:30 AM   #250
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3770

It's extremely hard to make some of those things work. Nobody would build a new ice rink in Seattle except as a loss-leader. New ground-up movie theaters are nearly a thing of the past. Live theaters are the territory of schools and subsidized nonprofits. The drivers of a diversified neighborhood don't arrive because more of them would help retail, but because the community (or an NHL team) drives them.

geoffloftus liked this post
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:38 PM   #251
Capitol Hill

So my roller derby arena with zebra training facility is a non-starter? And yes, the zebras would be on roller skates. I got a PETA waiver.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:26 PM   #252
uwhuskies

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSeattle View Post
Will there be a tech building that could serve Amazon/Microsoft etc. workforce? This is a prime area for big education/healthcare expansion.
Both Microsoft and Amazon have shifted their focus to Bellevue and Eastside. Thanks to the lack support from Seattle Council and Mayor. Sawant basically told Amazon to leave Seattle
uwhuskies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:27 PM   #253
uwhuskies

Amphitheater will be great for NHL rallies and celebrations
Old February 23rd, 2019, 11:28 PM   #254
cadre

Likes (Received): 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhuskies View Post
Both Microsoft and Amazon have shifted their focus to Bellevue and Eastside. Thanks to the lack support from Seattle Council and Mayor. Sawant basically told Amazon to leave Seattle
There were reasons that Bezos chose Seattle over Bellevue, and they still exist today. I think Bellevue may benefit a little more from Amazon's decision to ditch NYC, but it's not going to be at Seattle's loss.

I also find the Right's pathological need to endow a single minority woman, whether it be Kshama Sawant in Seattle or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in NYC, with the super-human power to single-handedly cause a Corporation with a $1 Trillion Market Cap to spin on its heel and change its entire growth strategy to be truly laughable. And if true, just sad for Amazon. The thin skin of a Prima Donna does not make for a resilient and successful company. Ultimately, I think Amazon is smarter, stronger and secure than those who feel the need to find a Bogeywoman.

AndersTheSwede liked this post

Last edited by cadre; February 24th, 2019 at 07:46 AM.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 12:03 AM   #255
SeaJamie

Likes (Received): 901

I think Amazon's Bellevue moves are more about expanding their workforce than some petty gripe with Seattle. When I was at Amazon, there was definitely a "love working in Seattle" contingent and a "wish I could work on the Eastside" contingent. I had at least one coworker leave for MS because it sucks to commute from Sammamish to Seattle.

cameronrex, AndersTheSwede liked this post
SeaJamie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 06:27 AM   #256
zbsfan

Quote:
No. Microsoft's HQ has always been on the eastside. They've never changed. They were never a downtown Seattle company. Amazon is still in Seattle, still building. They're building SOOOO much that the amount of office space they have YET to put online will be bigger than any OTHER companies ENTIRE office space in Seattle. Amazon HAS TO expand elsewhere. They're TOO big in downtown. They haven't left Seattle. They're the BIGGEST company in office space in any city in the nation. It's unhealthy for them to take any more major % of the office space in Seattle. A city shouldn't really on a SINGLE company for their existence, that's not healthy. Seattle was a hippy liberal town when they were formed, when they moved to Beacon Hill and when they moved South Lake Union. The idea that Seattle was some ultra-conservative "business-friendly" city and has just "become" liberal is silly. Seattle isn't some liberal abandoned wasteland.
The problem with Seattle isn't that it can't attract business it's the literal opposite. It's growing TOO fast, too many buildings, too much construction, people complaining it's changing too fast. So hearing that somehow Seattle is driving away business while we have MORE construction cranes than New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami or Denver is just ... funny.

Winter Harvest liked this post
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:10 AM   #257
uwhuskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbsfan View Post
No. Microsoft's HQ has always been on the eastside. They've never changed. They were never a downtown Seattle company. Amazon is still in Seattle, still building. They're building SOOOO much that the amount of office space they have YET to put online will be bigger than any OTHER companies ENTIRE office space in Seattle. Amazon HAS TO expand elsewhere. They're TOO big in downtown. They haven't left Seattle. They're the BIGGEST company in office space in any city in the nation. It's unhealthy for them to take any more major % of the office space in Seattle. A city shouldn't really on a SINGLE company for their existence, that's not healthy. Seattle was a hippy liberal town when they were formed, when they moved to Beacon Hill and when they moved South Lake Union. The idea that Seattle was some ultra-conservative "business-friendly" city and has just "become" liberal is silly. Seattle isn't some liberal abandoned wasteland.
The problem with Seattle isn't that it can't attract business it's the literal opposite. It's growing TOO fast, too many buildings, too much construction, people complaining it's changing too fast. So hearing that somehow Seattle is driving away business while we have MORE construction cranes than New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami or Denver is just ... funny.
Liberal yes but only anti-business in the last 10 years. Pro-business CAN be liberal too—only some view liberalism as incompatible with pro-business. Usually the ultra leftist folks view business as evil.

Where does economic activity and taxes come from? Not unemployed or homeless people.

Seattle has been a one company town for most of the 20th century—heard of Boeing

There are repercussions when you develop a anti-business environment that take time to develop. Buildings under construction were proposed many years ago and don’t necessarily accurately reflect the current business environment. If things don’t improve then a downturn will loom 6-10 years out.

Business decisions sometimes lag the climate unless credit becomes scarce.
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #258
uwhuskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadre View Post
There were reasons that Bezos chose Seattle over Bellevue, and they still exist today. I think Bellevue may benefit a little more from Amazon's decision to ditch NYC, but it's not going to be at Seattle's loss.

I also find the Right's pathological need to endow a single minority woman, whether it be Kshama Sawant in Seattle or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in NYC, with the super-human power to single-handedly cause a Corporation with a $1 Trillion Market Cap to spin on its heel and change its entire growth strategy to be truly laughable. And if true, just sad for Amazon. The thin skin of a Prima Donna does not make for a resilient and successful company. Ultimately, I think Amazon is smarter, stronger and secure than those who feel the need to find a Bogeywoman.
It’s not finger pointing when Sawant stood outside Amazon HQ and screamed anti business accusations at Amazon, while championing the Amazon Tax (as she called it) Revisit the actual newspaper articles. This is not knee jerk or revisionist history.

Sawant and those who side with her on the council such as Lisa Herbold and Lorena Gonzalez need to lbe defeated in elections.

I am going to support their opponents.
Old February 25th, 2019, 12:28 AM   #259
CityDensity

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Sawant and those who side with her on the council such as Lisa Herbold and Lorena Gonzalez need to lbe defeated in elections.

I am going to support their opponents.
I'm guessing we're all heading to the Coffee Shop soon, but to reply directly:

Pro-density folks will probably like what they're hearing from Logan Bowers:

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...e-logan-bowers

See also:

http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/20...housing-first/

Quote:
Bowers put it this way in December. He doesn’t want to eliminate the concept of single family zoning but he also thinks Seattle is setting up a false bargain with Mandatory Housing Affordability and a strategy focused on dense “urban villages” pocketed in restricted areas across the city.

“The city has effectively made affordable housing illegal by focusing on Urban Villages strategies,” Bowers said. “There’s only two choices — luxury apartments are legal to build and luxury homes… and everything else is illegal.”

Instead, Bowers said he would fight zoning restrictions and champion a Seattle wave of duplexes, triplexes, and “small unit” buildings.

“Under current construction technology, there’s no such thing as a low cost large apartment building with steel frame construction,” he says. “Underground excavation always leads to a high cost of building.”

“Low cost construction comes from wood-frame construction techniques. So if you want something affordable, it needs to be wood-framed construction, which is a duplex or triplex or a small unit building.”

“It doesn’t take a rocket scientist, Bowers said, “to figure out if you outlaw all the low cost construction techniques, you don’t end up with any low cost housing.”

JiminyCricket, iogeon, geoffloftus liked this post
CityDensity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2019, 12:55 AM   #260
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 558

A pot shop owner gets it... amazing.
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement