Northgate Development News and Photos - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #101
Steve W
J'en ai marre.

Likes (Received): 1013

Improved density - of parking.
Steve W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #102
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2560

My understanding: It was the least legally risky option, and ST tends toward least risky options. Northgate is under contract to provide full parking for its tenants. If ST reduced the number of spaces they'd need to compensate both Northgate and potentially the tenants both for the value of the land and the loss of income, and in determining how much a parking space is worth you open up the chance for lawsuits.

So if you want to blame anyone, blame our time and money intensive legal system. And probably retailers. And ST. I guess you can kind of blame everyone.

Of course, all this for parking that probably will never be fully used.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #103
GatsbyGatz

Likes (Received): 532

I see, so it was a sort of pragmatic concession to the private retailers that have long term contracts requiring a certain amount of parking spaces (so ST is avoiding any takings claims).

While I understand the decision, I can't help but think that there's no way this garage will ever be torn down. Unless Simon Property Group plans to not renew its leases with its tenants (or if it does, renew its leases under new lease terms that waive parking requirements), this parking garage will basically be here to stay due to the constant fear of retail lessees suing over any lost parking. So in effect, Northgate will basically be a pure suburban connector unless SPG decides to drastically change things up.
GatsbyGatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #104
JMeier

Likes (Received): 194

I find it baffling that there's been no chatter of a mall expansion with the light rail coming. At the VERY LEAST, you'd think they would be planning to extend the mall south to the future rail station so people getting off the train can walk into the mall without walking through parking lots/garages.

CityView Jim, dakotaskyscraper1 liked this post
JMeier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #105
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3765

They have plenty of opportunity. They could announce in 2017, take a leisurely two years to get started, then take their time building it.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #106
Kingfisherb90

Likes (Received): 90

What would it cost to have someone work up an plan like this:
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/03/l...development-2/
But with 12 story max heights and a reconnected 3rd ave pedestrian street?
For Northgate mall?

dakotaskyscraper1, Doomgoggles liked this post
Kingfisherb90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:03 AM   #107
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6569

Nordstrom and Macy's are both closing stores nationwide. I'd love it if both closed their Northgate stores and then Simon would have a great incentive to reimagine the property. I don't wish for failure, however a mall stuck in the 1970's isn't the highest and best use of this land.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:01 AM   #108
dakotaskyscraper1

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisherb90 View Post
For Northgate mall?
Wow! What a development! I must say Vancouver is light years away in urban planning, density living along transit centers.. versus American cities. Great job Vancouver!
dakotaskyscraper1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #109
GatsbyGatz

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisherb90 View Post
For Northgate mall?
There's been plans imagining a "fully realized" Northgate, albeit much less inspiring as the designs you've posted:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...dpdd017657.pdf

Doomgoggles liked this post
GatsbyGatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #110
JMeier

Likes (Received): 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Nordstrom and Macy's are both closing stores nationwide. I'd love it if both closed their Northgate stores and then Simon would have a great incentive to reimagine the property. I don't wish for failure, however a mall stuck in the 1970's isn't the highest and best use of this land.
If they both closed their stores, it would be highly unlikely there would be any expansion. They would just put any new stores in the vacated spaces. Like Bellevue Square is supposedly putting off their expansion because the JC Penney closed and the put stores that otherwise would have gone in the expansion into the Penney's space.

An expansion to the south could be in the form of a large, modern food court. The tiny, crappy food court that Northgate now has is embarrassing.
JMeier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:37 AM   #111
Capitol Hill

My argument is that a regional mall isn't the highest and best use of this property. Alderwood mall is 9.7 miles away from Northgate, and downtown will be connected to Northgate via Link. I feel Northgate served it's purpose, but it's time has passed, and this could be a more vital community with offices, college uses, housing, and community retail. A regional mall that is busy during Christmas, Easter, and possibly before school shopping isn't as dynamic as what can be there.
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #112
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
My argument is that a regional mall isn't the highest and best use of this property. Alderwood mall is 9.7 miles away from Northgate, and downtown will be connected to Northgate via Link. I feel Northgate served it's purpose, but it's time has passed, and this could be a more vital community with offices, college uses, housing, and community retail. A regional mall that is busy during Christmas, Easter, and possibly before school shopping isn't as dynamic as what can be there.
Boulder, CO redeveloped their mall into a faux town center called "29th Street". Wouldn't be a bad idea for Northgate.

MichaelJSea liked this post
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #113
Winter Harvest

Likes (Received): 94

My brother was a department manager at Nordstrom's Northgate and it was pretty much regarded as the most challenging of all the Nordstrom-area stores. The Flagship is only about 6-7 miles to the south in the heart of a busy downtown, Alderwood is 10 miles to the north and the major shopping nexus for the northern suburbs, and all the east side money shops at Bellevue Square.
Winter Harvest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:42 AM   #114
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2287

Yeah, with the concept of the mall dying a slow but progressive death, Northgate should probably reinvent the site. To start, they need to build light office along the 1st Avenue side to buffer again I-5 and the major N/S arterial.

Nor sure the next step as I just don't see how you tear down an entire mall without a plan with the displacees. Maybe the strong could fill ground floor of the perimeter office?

Perhaps North Seattle Community College could build a new campus there. That's my best idea! But I've never really explored their west-of-I5 campus. Is it nice? Would it be a shame to relocate?
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #115
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 10365

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/co/12092472.html

August 29, 2016

$174M Northgate project for Absher
By JOURNAL STAFF

SEATTLE — Sound Transit selected Absher Construction for a $174 million contract to build an elevated station and guideway for Northgate Link. Work begins this fall on the elevated structure and garage to prepare for opening the extension in 2021.

The station will straddle Northeast 103rd Street east of First Avenue Northeast. Trains will exit the rail tunnels at First Avenue Northeast and Northeast 95th and use a 0.8-mile elevated guideway to reach the station.
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #116
Capitol Hill

And the way things stand now, the walkshed of Northgate station is literally dozens!

GatsbyGatz liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #117
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/co/12096866.html

January 25, 2017

Ascendent clears Northgate site for apartments
By JOURNAL STAFF

Demolition contractor Ascendent recently removed hazardous materials and razed two buildings in the old BevMo Plaza shopping center in Northgate to make way for two apartment buildings called The Lane. The site at 10750 Fifth Ave. N.E. stretches eastward to Eighth Avenue Northeast.

The taller building will have 134 apartments, street-level retail, and parking at and below grade. The shorter building will have 81 apartments and two live-work units.

Old August 9th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #118
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12103031.html

August 9, 2017

Apartments planned for Northgate site

By BRIAN MILLER
Journal staff reporter

North Seattle residents accustomed to enjoying an omelet while their car is being serviced should brace themselves for some bad news.

Familiar Northgate icons Patty's Eggnest and Jiffy Lube are going to be replaced by a new mixed-use apartment building at 1000 N.E. Northgate Way.

Early plans have been filed for the project, located on the northeast corner of Northgate Way and Roosevelt Way Northeast, next to QFC and Victory Creek Park.

The site is two blocks east of Northgate Mall, and about a 20-minute walk to the light rail station that will open in 2021. The Park & Ride is there now.

Old November 9th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #119
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12105929.html

November 8, 2017

TOD proposals due for Northgate Station; city is seeking an upzone

By BRIAN MILLER
Journal staff reporter

King County is asking developers to submit proposals for mixed-use projects at its Northgate Transit Center, and the city of Seattle wants to upzone the property from 125 to 240 feet.

Northgate was last upzoned in 2009. Seattle City Council would have to approve the upzone. The draft environmental impact statement was published in June, and the final EIS is expected this month.

A 240-foot zoning study included in the RFP shows the project size could reach 1.8 million square feet. About 1.5 million square feet is possible under current zoning.
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #120
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

I know 'Northgate' is really stretching it for this address/project but we don't have a North Seattle thread (that I'm aware of) so I'm sticking this in here.

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12105945.html

November 9, 2017

On the Block: Lincoln Towing yard on Aurora could get an overhaul: 125 townhouses, 130 apartments

It is not publicly listed for sale, but the roughly 5.75-acre Lincoln Towing yard at 12220 Aurora Ave. N. has been drawing the eyes of potential buyers for months, if not years.

Now the Lincoln family has filed an early plan for subdividing and developing the property, with an apartment building and townhouses.

A Lincoln family-governed LLC also owns an adjacent 25,500-square-foot property at 12226 Aurora that is included in the plan. Both properties are zoned for structures up to 65 feet.

The Lincoln family is exploring options for the property. Plans filed with the city list KTGY Architecture + Planning, which is based in Irvine, California, and KPFF Consulting Engineers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement