KYIV - Olympic Stadium (70,050) - Page 114 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #2261
DanMB

Likes (Received): 129

The problem is that this stadium is far too large for Dynamo Kiev. Only the match against Shaktar Donetsk will take the attendance to over 50,000. The rest of the season the stadium is filled with roughly 10,000 in attendance. Dynamo Kiev should move out the Olympic stadium and only play big matches vs Shakhtar and the Champions league in the Olympic stadium while the rest can be played in a much smaller stadium.

endrity liked this post

Last edited by DanMB; August 16th, 2017 at 05:29 PM.
DanMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #2262
endrity

Likes (Received): 1169

Weren't they planning to redevelop the Lobanovsky stadium a few years ago?
endrity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:15 AM   #2263
chibetogdl
soy NiNi

Likes (Received): 1337

this is the venue for the ucl final for this season right?

the renovation of this stadium is amazing, it used to be the tipical ugly and scary soviet construction, and now is one og the pretiest stadiums in europe
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #2264
Edelweiss Kh
Western Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 27241

https://novostroyki.lun.ua/uk/жк-tetris-hall-київ
Edelweiss Kh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #2265
endrity

Likes (Received): 1169

It looks incredible and would be even more so if the redesigned it without the track.
endrity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:13 PM   #2266
Edelweiss Kh
Western Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 27241

http://www.the-village.com.ua/villag...ole-kyiv-photo
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:48 PM   #2267
Rover030

Likes (Received): 1109

The Champions League final is 4 months, 120 days away.
Rover030 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 03:03 PM   #2268
maurizio79

Likes (Received): 83

May the Olympic Stadium has a nice architecture but I cannot understand the decision to place the most important continental club final in a stadium with an athletic track.
It's a shame especially for all the fans which have to travel thousands of miles to reach Kiwv and face the stands behind the goals with a partial obstructed view.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:37 AM   #2269
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 11383

^ there are very few jumbo size stadiums in Europe that do not have a running track, so unless you want ro keep the final played on the same few stadiums in London, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and arguably Paris, you're going to either accept considerably smaller stadiums or, better, accept athletics stadiums as well.

As a side note, I don't think there is any obstructed view in this particular stadium.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 11:43 PM   #2270
EPA001

Likes (Received): 10706

Don't forget Munich and Cardiff.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 02:36 PM   #2271
parcdesprinces
Racing Club de France

Likes (Received): 12381

Not to mention the gorgeous (IMHO) 80K+ refurbished/new Luzhniki which no longer has an athletics track!

EPA001 liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:38 PM   #2272
Spomasz

Likes (Received): 1483

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
^ there are very few jumbo size stadiums in Europe that do not have a running track, so unless you want ro keep the final played on the same few stadiums in London, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and arguably Paris, you're going to either accept considerably smaller stadiums or, better, accept athletics stadiums as well.

As a side note, I don't think there is any obstructed view in this particular stadium.
Unfortunately, there are such places. I've been there few times, even in VIP section. So the player bench, first aid squad and media are blocking the view on pitch. Fans from first 4-5 rows are standing immediately when the action is getting further, so the next 5-10 rows are standing either. In sold out games it is something very common. The other problem is that sectors are very wide, so the people who are late need to get through 40-50 seats while blocking the wiev for other fans.

maurizio79, alexandru.mircea liked this post
Spomasz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:03 PM   #2273
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Don't forget Munich and Cardiff.
From what I read after the Champions League final UEFA didn't like how Cardiff performed as a host city and they won't be sending any other big events there in the future, despite the stadium being as great as it is. The Allianz Arena is a fair bit smaller than the ones I mentioned but now that I write I seem to remember it's going to get a capacity increase, I need to check out if it's true and how much of an increase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spomasz View Post
Unfortunately, there are such places. I've been there few times, even in VIP section. So the player bench, first aid squad and media are blocking the view on pitch. Fans from first 4-5 rows are standing immediately when the action is getting further, so the next 5-10 rows are standing either. In sold out games it is something very common. The other problem is that sectors are very wide, so the people who are late need to get through 40-50 seats while blocking the wiev for other fans.
I think these are inherent to any stadiums with the first rows going down to the pitch level (or lower, like at certain stadiums such as the Etihad Stadium). Many people here seem to like it like that, whenever there's a stadium with the first row that's elevated from the pitch level (like in Amsterdam, Bucharest, etc) there is strong criticism. Myself I too can't understand the appeal of very low height seats, but I always seem to be in the minority here when we debate this.

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; February 9th, 2018 at 11:15 PM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #2274
EPA001

Likes (Received): 10706

Quote:
The Allianz Arena is a fair bit smaller than the ones I mentioned but now that I write I seem to remember it's going to get a capacity increase, I need to check out if it's true and how much of an increase...
After the capacity increases I think the Allianz Arena will/can not grow anymore without serious construction measures. So 70,000 seats it is there and that is big enough imho for a CL-final. Especially since Kiev is the same size, but with an athletics track.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 01:08 AM   #2275
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:

Remember that UEFA took a final to Lisbon, which is sub-70,000k, so anything above 60,000 seems doable.

But you still have these stadiums over 70k without running tracks:

Camp Nou
Wembley
Stade de France
Bernabeu
Luzhniki
San Siro
Old Trafford
Allianz
Millennium stadium
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #2276
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 360

Quote:
From what I read after the Champions League final UEFA didn't like how Cardiff performed as a host city and they won't be sending any other big events there in the future, despite the stadium being as great as it is. The Allianz Arena is a fair bit smaller than the ones I mentioned but now that I write I seem to remember it's going to get a capacity increase, I need to check out if it's true and how much of an increase...

I think these are inherent to any stadiums with the first rows going down to the pitch level (or lower, like at certain stadiums such as the Etihad Stadium). Many people here seem to like it like that, whenever there's a stadium with the first row that's elevated from the pitch level (like in Amsterdam, Bucharest, etc) there is strong criticism. Myself I too can't understand the appeal of very low height seats, but I always seem to be in the minority here when we debate this.
I can remember the discussions of the first years of the (then) Amsterdam Arena. For big games we where used to distances in the Olympisch Stadion, but at home in De Meer supporters where right with their noses on the pitch. Keep in mind that the Arena was designed right after the 'Staafincident' and distances seamed a very good idea at the time.
The first years everybody was complaining. Too far away, crappy atmosphere. Then after Euro2000 scaffolding was placed and now 22 years after opening, the moat is almost closed with concrete stands.

What you hear now? That criticism had stopped completely. It surely still has it's flaws, but those extra 5 rows have gone a long way.

But not only in Amsterdam. All across NL those stadiums which where build in the '90s and '00s (a lot) are closing up the moat, have done it or have plans. All supporters have the same complaints.

Conclusion from the Johan Cruijff Arena and others in NL: high first rows are not bringing atmosphere in, it is ugly on tv and are rubbish for views.
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:11 PM   #2277
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 4642

Well Croke Park doesn´t have a running track either but is unlikely to ret rented out to association football.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:17 PM   #2278
Rover030

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red85 View Post
I can remember the discussions of the first years of the (then) Amsterdam Arena. For big games we where used to distances in the Olympisch Stadion, but at home in De Meer supporters where right with their noses on the pitch. Keep in mind that the Arena was designed right after the 'Staafincident' and distances seamed a very good idea at the time.
The first years everybody was complaining. Too far away, crappy atmosphere. Then after Euro2000 scaffolding was placed and now 22 years after opening, the moat is almost closed with concrete stands.

What you hear now? That criticism had stopped completely. It surely still has it's flaws, but those extra 5 rows have gone a long way.

But not only in Amsterdam. All across NL those stadiums which where build in the '90s and '00s (a lot) are closing up the moat, have done it or have plans. All supporters have the same complaints.

Conclusion from the Johan Cruijff Arena and others in NL: high first rows are not bringing atmosphere in, it is ugly on tv and are rubbish for views.
I don't think the issue is the high first rows, it's the distance to the pitch. I don't like extremely high first rows, but I do think a first row that is elevated by ~1m gives a better view than a first row that is on pitch level with the same distance.

The pitch in the Amsterdam Arena (and also in Zwolle and Almelo) wasn't lowered, they just created extra rows in between the raised first row and the pitch level. That doesn't change existing spectator views. It does look much better though.

In my opinion the first row at for instance Deportivo Alaves' stadium is good. It's close to the sidelines and goals and even on the first row you have a good overview of the whole pitch. It also looks good on tv. C-values might be a bit on the low side, but it's always a trade-off between proximity and C-value.

alexandru.mircea, will101 liked this post
Rover030 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 10:18 AM   #2279
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Remember that UEFA took a final to Lisbon, which is sub-70,000k, so anything above 60,000 seems doable.
Yes, and I approve of this policy of making compromises in order to bring the CL final to places with slightly smaller stadiums or to places with large athletics stadiums. It would be nice to have 80k+ football specific stadiums dotted all over the continent, but it's not going to happen.

The Allianz Arena was under 70k as well when it hosted, btw. The definitive capacity will be 75k domestically but, I didn't realize this, for all seated capacity will remain slightly under 70k, at 69334.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover030 View Post
I don't like extremely high first rows, but I do think a first row that is elevated by ~1m gives a better view than a first row that is on pitch level with the same distance.
Agreed.
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:52 PM   #2280
Volpacchiotto

Likes (Received): 11385

https://skyandmethod.com/

Tags
euro 2012, kiev, kyiv, soccer, ukraine, ukraine stadiums, ukrainian stadiums