TORONTO - Skydome (52,230) - Page 28 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #541
eurocup2016

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
That $72 million figure is meaningless unless there is some sort of context, like over the next 20 years or something. And moving back to CNE strikes me as kind of a hollow threat, because it would have alienated a huge chunk of their fan base.
Who knows, It could just be a rumor thrown in the report just to show what a financial mess the dome has been. I'm sure the $72 million figure is a very long term lease so it's not a lot per year.
eurocup2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #542
Phantom Dreamer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 326

Since there's no such thing as natural grass, another look at the more practical alternative.
http://www.astroturf.com/tag/organic-infill/
Phantom Dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #543
flashman

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
I always forget their is a hotel built in, I wonder if they could gut the hotel and turn the field in the other direction and build a new stadium within?
The hotel is well used and often provides lodging for participants from events taking place in the dome.

The Jays rely on it. French language radio deals were done to broadcast Jays games into Quebec. The broadcast crews were housed at the Jays expense in the hotel.

It's a very useful asset and no one in a position to know has ever said is under consideration to be removed. With the club looking to spend at least $250 million on renovations, it would be front and centre if it was an issue.
Sings a life of proud endeavour at the best that man can be
flashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #544
eurocup2016

When is this so called major renovation gonna start. The last I heard about it was last year when Paul Beeston was president of the team.
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #545
Bigmac1212
Time for go to bed!

Likes (Received): 216

Are the renovations gonna redo the lower concourse seating?
Bigmac1212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #546
eurocup2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac1212 View Post
Are the renovations gonna redo the lower concourse seating?
The plan right now is to make it a baseball first venue but it will still be a multi purpose facility. Nothing has been mentioned about the seating but the assumption is that they will remove all the seats and bring the lower bowl closer to the field. Putting natural grass and fixing the roof are the first priorities.
Old June 26th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #547
flashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocup2016 View Post
The plan right now is to make it a baseball first venue but it will still be a multi purpose facility. Nothing has been mentioned about the seating but the assumption is that they will remove all the seats and bring the lower bowl closer to the field. Putting natural grass and fixing the roof are the first priorities.
Ahh, the assumption.

A rather large assumption to make. One wouldn't make such an assumption without proper background info. So, what would your assumption be based on?

Never once seen that idea floated in the credible media. Never once, in multiple encounters and stadium discussions with facility or club staff that included the likes of Mario Coutinho or the now-departed Jays VP Steven Brooks, did I ever hear that notion mentioned by them. And they would know.

So what do you know, Sparky, that we don't?
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #548
eurocup2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
Ahh, the assumption.

A rather large assumption to make. One wouldn't make such an assumption without proper background info. So, what would your assumption be based on?

Never once seen that idea floated in the credible media. Never once, in multiple encounters and stadium discussions with facility or club staff that included the likes of Mario Coutinho or the now-departed Jays VP Steven Brooks, did I ever hear that notion mentioned by them. And they would know.

So what do you know, Sparky, that we don't?

Geez let's see the talk of them hiring students a Guelph university to find ways to grow grass indoors has been widely publicized, as well as replacing all the seats. Former president Paul Beeston last year in an interview said that some work has already been done like replacing boilers and chillers. The stuff we don't see. He also said they are repairing the tracks that the roof moves on and mentioned they are working on making the roof open and close faster as well as having it be able to open in the cooler months. Paul also mentioned a possible $250 to $400 million retrofit. New Jays president Mark Shapiro has also talked about it. Sportsnet is credible media.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...e-renovations/

http://jaysjournal.com/2015/09/09/to...-not-help-mlb/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...ntre-possible/

Last edited by eurocup2016; June 26th, 2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:42 AM   #549
Phantom Dreamer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 326

Open the roof in cooler months? 1 step forward, 800 steps backwards. The team needs new leadership.
Phantom Dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #550
eurocup2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
Open the roof in cooler months? 1 step forward, 800 steps backwards. The team needs new leadership.
How is that backwards and what's wrong with their leadership. It's their first season on the job.
Old August 1st, 2016, 07:32 PM   #551
Acidline

Likes (Received): 91

A few shots from the July 2nd game I went to. The jays and Tribe had just come off a 19 inning Canada Day marathon the night before with the Indians winning their 14th straight. It was a picture perfect day, low 70s, sun shining. But, like several times before, I show up and jinx the Indians. They lost a thrilling back and forth home run fest 9-6 this day. Despite it being a bowl shaped multipurpose stadium, I really enjoyed the atmosphere here. It's a visually iconic facility.

Last edited by Acidline; August 1st, 2016 at 09:32 PM.
Acidline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #552
flashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidline View Post
A few shots from the July 2nd game I went to. The jays and Tribe had just come off a 19 inning Canada Day marathon the night before with the Indians winning their 14th straight. It was a picture perfect day, low 70s, sun shining. But, like several times before, I show up and jinx the Indians. They lost a thrilling back and forth home run fest 9-6 this day. Despite it being a bowl shaped multipurpose stadium, I really enjoyed the atmosphere here. It's a visually iconic facility.

It really is a fantastic venue. I'm in there several times a year on business and get to visit many areas not open to the public. An amazingly well-run and maintained stadium with a superb group of people running the place.

It's hard to find baseball fans who have issues watching games there. The Blue Jays lead the league in attendance.

The location is superb - you have a 3-4 minute walk to the subway stations at Union Station or King St. W. If you drive, you're adjacent to a major highway and six-lane boulevard. And all of downtown Toronto's excellent and varied entertainment and dining options are within easy walking distance.

A quality product in this venue - be it sports or entertainment - has little trouble being successful. Although the Argonauts football team couldn't make a go of it here. You can't blame the facility or location.

Last edited by flashman; August 9th, 2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:51 AM   #553
eurocup2016

Quote:
It really is a fantastic venue. I'm in there several times a year on business and get to visit many areas not open to the public. An amazingly well-run and maintained stadium with a superb group of people running the place.

It's hard to find baseball fans who have issues watching games there. The Blue Jays lead the league in attendance.

The location is superb - you have a 3-4 minute walk to the subway stations at Union Station or King St. W. If you drive, you're adjacent to a major highway and six-lane boulevard. And all of downtown Toronto's excellent and varied entertainment and dining options are within easy walking distance.

A quality product in this venue - be it sports or entertainment - has little trouble being successful. Although the Argonauts football team couldn't make a go of it here. You can't blame the facility or location.
The location is great but it does need a major renovation to it. Hope Rogers put some good money into one in the near future.
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #554
flashman

It's in the works. That's why Shapiro was brought in as new club president. The budget for the re-fit has already topped $250 million and I'm seeing smiles from stadium staff when the topic comes up for discussion.
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #555
Acidline

Quote:
The location is great but the infrastructure around the building is not very well thought out. There is one gridlocked feeder street to the Gardiner that carries nearly all the car and pedestrian traffic flowing from the stadium. To make matters worse, there are no clearly defined crossing points for the sidewalks so people just run across en masse. It took nearly 30 minutes for the cab we hailed just to get over to to Harbour Street so we could get back to Bay and travel north. I've had much easier times escaping US Cellular and Jacobs Field in a car after a game. Only park I've been to that was worse was Anaheim.
Old August 11th, 2016, 03:38 AM   #556
eurocup2016

Quote:
It's in the works. That's why Shapiro was brought in as new club president. The budget for the re-fit has already topped $250 million and I'm seeing smiles from stadium staff when the topic comes up for discussion.
Where did you get this news from. I haven't heard anything about a retrofit since Shapiro took over as club president.
Old August 11th, 2016, 07:00 AM   #557
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocup2016 View Post
I'm betting that the proposed renovation will end the SkyDome's ability to switch between football and baseball modes, especially considering that the Argonauts have already left for BMO Field at this point.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #558
Acidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I'm betting that the proposed renovation will end the SkyDome's ability to switch between football and baseball modes, especially considering that the Argonauts have already left for BMO Field at this point.

I read a few articles stating that the building was already planned to be in "permanent baseball configuration."
Old August 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #559
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 859

But does that mean a new seating set up or just leaving the seats locked like they did at Shea when the Jets left?
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #560
flashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidline View Post
The location is great but the infrastructure around the building is not very well thought out. There is one gridlocked feeder street to the Gardiner that carries nearly all the car and pedestrian traffic flowing from the stadium. To make matters worse, there are no clearly defined crossing points for the sidewalks so people just run across en masse. It took nearly 30 minutes for the cab we hailed just to get over to to Harbour Street so we could get back to Bay and travel north. I've had much easier times escaping US Cellular and Jacobs Field in a car after a game. Only park I've been to that was worse was Anaheim.
Full stadiums will always present more challenges moving around. The Jays are
packing their place. The White Sox and Indians draw half as many fans.

Try walking. Smart fans park a little distance away and walk over. My preferred lot is at the southeast corner of Yonge and Lakeshore. Half the price of closer lots and a breeze to exit from. Less than 10 minutes walk away.

There's two subway stations within a five minute walk.

And along those walks, scores of great places to eat, drink and merrily people watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
toronto