Kolkata | Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport | CCU - Page 727 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2019, 08:26 AM   #14521
dipu8013

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
Interesting. When did this exactly happen?
if i remember correctly, something along the lines of these happened last year where even Tathagatha Roy, the CM of Meghalaya, chimed in? When there was a need for a taxiway going into the northern end of the interior runway to increase capacity? and another time back in 2013 or 2014, when the runway itself was to be extended, and then it was finally extended towards the south.

I will try to link newspaper links after i look them up, but i guess the forumers here definitely know more about these than i do.
dipu8013 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2019, 08:54 AM   #14522
RONGHOSH77

Likes (Received): 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaperon View Post
Hi Everyone!
I do aerospace-related research and am a new member of skyscrapercity, but have been following its different aviation forums for some time. I'm delighted to make the following announcement:

Six months of hard work, thousands of words, nearly a hundred diagrams and dozens of flowcharts later, my first e-book Fantastic Planes and How to Identify Them is now published! There's lots of interesting history, tech, background and illustrations in this book.

Please visit my website for the book description: https://tos201519.blogspot.com/2019/...-identify.html

It's available at multiple stores including Barnes & Noble, Amazon and Apple: https://books2read.com/FantasticPlanes

This is my first book. I look forward to your support and feedback. Thank You

Why this name, FLAPERON.
So you move rapidly and cans do two functions.?
RONGHOSH77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 12:32 PM   #14523
nmin

Likes (Received): 3752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom8800 View Post
Helo frens

I'm curious about the story behind Gouripur Jame Masjid, the seemingly quaint little mosque that's completely surrounded by CCU's airfield and in the path of its western runway. Also, what happens if growth eventually comes to necessate an extension of the runway into a full length taxiway for its Eastern counterpart?

It is a security threat to the airport. Terrorist can easily choose this Masjid to target the airport/aircrafts.

==

And it is foolish to blame Mamta Banerjee, What the other ex-Chief ministers were doing?

NiladriG liked this post
nmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2019, 02:49 AM   #14524
alejandro-leon

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmin View Post
It is a security threat to the airport. Terrorist can easily choose this Masjid to target the airport/aircrafts.

==

And it is foolish to blame Mamta Banerjee, What the other ex-Chief ministers were doing?
True. Mumtaz is just continuing the legacy of the left, on steroids.

Anyway, let's talk about the possible pax loads on the flight to Hanoi. I'm expecting 30-40% traffic originating in CCU and the rest coming in from other Indian cities. I'm sure 6E will time it well to make it a fast connection.

What about HKG? I'd assume a lot of pax on Cathay Dragon are connecting pax to US/Canada West Coast and Australia/SE Asia. Is HKG a popular destination for bengalis?

neversayno, Samrat, vaidya liked this post
alejandro-leon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2019, 03:49 AM   #14525
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 2059

HKG is not a popular tourist destination for the whole of India. It is super expensive and is an urban jungle. It has a huge trade traffic as a significant share of Chinese trade is carried out through hkg. The SMEs, who connecting at bkk, SIN KUL will also use this flight to get to CCU as Cathay primarily caters to connecting traffic ept for a small premium finance traffic of BOM.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2019, 03:57 AM   #14526
Indiadreams
indiadreams

HKG is not a popular tourist destination for the whole of India. It is super expensive and is an urban jungle. It has a huge trade traffic as a significant share of Chinese trade is carried out through hkg. The SMEs, who are connecting at BKK, SIN KUL will also use this flight to get to HKG as Cathay primarily caters to connecting traffic except for a small premium finance traffic of BOM.
Old July 9th, 2019, 06:33 PM   #14527
alejandro-leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post
HKG is not a popular tourist destination for the whole of India. It is super expensive and is an urban jungle. It has a huge trade traffic as a significant share of Chinese trade is carried out through hkg. The SMEs, who are connecting at BKK, SIN KUL will also use this flight to get to HKG as Cathay primarily caters to connecting traffic except for a small premium finance traffic of BOM.
What about HAN? Would it be mostly tourists? I've been to the southern part of Vietnam, Vietnam has been attracting a lot of tourists lately but I'm not sure if it'll appeal to Indian tourists except for Halong Bay, it's about a 3-4 hour drive from Hanoi and is breathtakingly gorgeous. Also helpful is that Vietnam provides online visas to Indian citizens which is pretty easy to apply. I was also wondering if Siem Reap would be attractive for Indians. I saw a couple of Indian tourists in a sea of overwhelmingly western tourists.
Old July 9th, 2019, 07:27 PM   #14528
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Hanoi is mostly tourists. Indians are already heading to Hanoi (even before 6E flight), thanks to the wonderful attractions, inexpensive accommodation and food. The food is tolerable for Indian taste buds unlike China!!

The 6E flight will stimulate that market. On the reverse direction, India could attract tourists to its golden triangle. But IMO, India is bit lethargic in attracting tourists and maintaining the tourist places! The tourist places are plain filthy! Only the rich could afford hygienic accommodation making it difficult to attract tourists from the developing world.
Old July 9th, 2019, 07:57 PM   #14529
nmin

Ho Chi Minh City attracts more tourists than Hanoi.

==

Siem Reap may attract tourists. But main issues are Visa fee (USD37) + Angkor entry FEE for one day (USD37). Another USD 20 for tuk tuk booking for one day, if no group is travelling. And surely one day visit is not enough to see all attractions in Angkor.

Main tourists to Siem Reap are from China, South Korea and Japan though all Temples and structures are hindu /Buddha based.

vaidya liked this post
Old July 9th, 2019, 08:00 PM   #14530
itsDK

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipu8013 View Post
It is actually something that is felt more on the ground level. not exactly describable, but when the entire sect of non- M community bengalis say this, it has to have some credibility to it. I, for one, don't think it is overly pandering, but there is some political agenda behind whatever the CM of our state does.

Some of the more glaring examples would be the excessive amount of billboards across the city often for every single festival of the said community. i kid you not, every single. The question is, who is funding these. ultimately it's the taxpayer money being wasted on tens of thousands of billboards every year. `

Another case would be the insanely large hajj center built near kaikhali that is funded by the state government and the state sponsored hajj tourism facilitation. When the CM claims that the center withholds funds, which causes a problem in the construction of the infrastructure such as metros, roads, flyovers etc, then where does the money come from for swanky news mosques and hajj centers.

Not to mention, when the last talks about runway expansion came up, the religious leaders threatened violence. Our CM chose to side with them instead of actively fighting for the improvement of a mandatory and necessary infrastructure like NSCBI airport.

I, for one, do not mind these. But what i do mind is her blatant denial that she is pandering to them, not because she wants the entire bengali sect to be united and equal, but because there is a obvious political agenda at play. Plus the lying involved.
How are these different from giving to clubs for arranging Durga Puja and other popular hindu festivals? Or arranging big procession for Durga Puja immersion? Are we equally angry that she approved state holiday for Chat Pujo? Spending state money for pandering to Matua community?

Are we only seeing her pandering to minority because we expect everyone to pander to majority?

Lastly, I am not sure how much money state spent on Hajj and how much is coming from Waqf board. Does any one know?

Sorry for extending this here. My apologies.

Rohit Das liked this post

Last edited by itsDK; July 10th, 2019 at 12:21 AM.
itsDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2019, 08:02 PM   #14531
itsDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipu8013 View Post
Tathagatha Roy, the CM of Meghalaya
- Governor
Old July 9th, 2019, 11:32 PM   #14532
alejandro-leon

Quote:

==

Siem Reap may attract tourists. But main issues are Visa fee (USD37) + Angkor entry FEE for one day (USD37). Another USD 20 for tuk tuk booking for one day, if no group is travelling. And surely one day visit is not enough to see all attractions in Angkor.

Main tourists to Siem Reap are from China, South Korea and Japan though all Temples and structures are hindu /Buddha based.
Yes, I went to HCMC and it was hot as hell in November.

Cambodian visa costs $30 (I think it's same for all nationalities) and $32 if you don't have a passport photo with you (which I did not have). Siem Reap had a $45 ticket for 2 days, I split it into 2 days, day 1 for Angkor Wat and the surrounding ones and Day 2 for the ones far out. I'd say still a good value, it's less than $100, how cheaper can it be than that? That number should work for budget travelers.

And yes, tons of Chinese tourists but they were way outnumbered by western tourists. Tourists don't visit the temples for religious values, they just visit them as archaeological sites, at least that's how I saw them, although a couple of them had active Buddha temples. And it was hotter than Vietnam but then I'm not good at dealing with heat and humidity.
Old July 9th, 2019, 11:36 PM   #14533
alejandro-leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsDK View Post
How are these different from giving clubs to arrange Durga Puja? Or arranging big procession for Durga Puja immersion? Are we equally angry that she approved state holiday for Chat Pujo? Spending state money for pandering to Matua groups(part of Hindu community)?

Are we only seeing her pandering to minority because we expect everyone to pander to majority? Lastly, I am not sure how much money state spent on Hajj and how much is coming from Waqf board. Does any one know?

Sorry for extending this here. My apologies.
A secular country should not spend a single dime for haj. If the hajis want state sponsorship kick their butts out to Saudi Arabia. Oh but wait, I don't think the Saudis want the south asian hajis. I remember flying to IXB one time as a kid and there was a haj flight. 8 hajis came to see off every single one that was traveling and when they left, the airport was destroyed. And the government had waived off the entry ticket for the hajis to come in and destroy property. This was in the 90s.

RONGHOSH77, NiladriG, Samrat liked this post
Old July 10th, 2019, 12:19 AM   #14534
itsDK

FIFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro-leon View Post
A secular country should not spend a single dime for any religious function
Old July 10th, 2019, 04:09 AM   #14535
nmin

Quote:
Yes, I went to HCMC and it was hot as hell in November.

Cambodian visa costs $30 (I think it's same for all nationalities) and $32 if you don't have a passport photo with you (which I did not have). Siem Reap had a $45 ticket for 2 days, I split it into 2 days, day 1 for Angkor Wat and the surrounding ones and Day 2 for the ones far out. I'd say still a good value, it's less than $100, how cheaper can it be than that? That number should work for budget travelers.

And yes, tons of Chinese tourists but they were way outnumbered by western tourists. Tourists don't visit the temples for religious values, they just visit them as archaeological sites, at least that's how I saw them, although a couple of them had active Buddha temples. And it was hotter than Vietnam but then I'm not good at dealing with heat and humidity.
Online visa costs USD 37 for Indians.

Angkor updated entry fees are

1-day pass – US$ 37;
3-day pass – US$ 62;
7-day pass – US$ 72;

NiladriG liked this post
Old July 10th, 2019, 07:50 AM   #14536
alejandro-leon

Quote:
Online visa costs USD 37 for Indians.

Angkor updated entry fees are

1-day pass – US$ 37;
3-day pass – US$ 62;
7-day pass – US$ 72;
Oh I didn't get it online, just showed up at the airport.
And now that you mentioned, I remember I did buy a 3 day pass but only used it for 2 days. 2 days were enough to see everything and the heat was getting to me.

But I think Siem Reap could work from CCU, again it'll depend on connecting traffic from other Indian cities. Even though the temples are not active temples, the religion aspect would attract Indians. Another thing about Cambodia is they have the best English speakers in all of southeast Asia, although I've no idea how on earth did that happen.
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:25 AM   #14537
sscm

Likes (Received): 150

While I don't want to wade into the discussions on appeasement etc, the larger issue here is the relative lack of focus on protecting and developing the airside areas across all Indian airports.

Somehow it seems like the babus and the netas think of the airside areas as vacant tracts of land ripe for encroachment and diversion. It's not just Kolkata - with the exception of HYD and BLR, almost every single airport seems to have some challenges on the airside.

Actually, the airside is the single most important asset an airport has - the terminal buildings can be played around with in terms of shapes, forms, location and what not, but the airside has minimal flexibility. This is the real decider of capacity and operational efficiency, although everyone tends to get carried away with the glitz and glamour associated with fancy terminal buildings.

RONGHOSH77 liked this post
sscm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 01:44 PM   #14538
nmin

Quote:
Oh I didn't get it online, just showed up at the airport.
And now that you mentioned, I remember I did buy a 3 day pass but only used it for 2 days. 2 days were enough to see everything and the heat was getting to me.

But I think Siem Reap could work from CCU, again it'll depend on connecting traffic from other Indian cities. Even though the temples are not active temples, the religion aspect would attract Indians. Another thing about Cambodia is they have the best English speakers in all of southeast Asia, although I've no idea how on earth did that happen.
https://www.evisa.gov.kh/home Just one working day to get the visa.

Siem Reap tourist flow is heavy round the year. It should be a non-stop destination from India soon, either CCU or some other metros.

CCU needs more non-stop tier 2 city flights within India first. It is not connected like DEL/BOM/MAA/BLR.

sumang007 liked this post
Old July 10th, 2019, 05:59 PM   #14539
alejandro-leon

What is up with SpiceJet and CCU lately?
Old July 10th, 2019, 07:12 PM   #14540
invincibletiger

Likes (Received): 3761

Quote:

==

On the other hand, hotels and food are extremely cheap. I had gone to Siem Reap on a solo trip for 6D/5N about two years back. This is what I had incurred:

Visa - $30
Angkor Pass - $62
Tuk tuk and tours - $74 (4 tours + airport drop)
Stay - $65
Food and Drinks - $53 (a can of beer was half a dollar)
Gifts and Souvenirs - $70

Leaving aside the gifts/souvenirs, my total expense excluding airfare was USD 284.

NiladriG liked this post
invincibletiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airline, airport, calcutta, ccu, domestic, dumdum, flight, international, kolkata, kolkata airport, nscbi, terminal