Kolkata | Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport | CCU - Page 731 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2019, 11:54 PM   #14601
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 2059

Kolkata | Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport | CCU

DEL-IST is an experiment where the jury is still out. Indigo announced 2nd frequency during Pak airspace close even before the 1st frequency started. Now with the opening of Pak air space closure, it is still silent on 2nd frequency while all western flights to DEL are reinstated in no time. This tells a lot about the route’s performance!! Moreover DEL is supposed to provide most of the traffic with only less support from connecting traffic.

That is not the case with recent CCU routes to East and SE Asia. It heavily relies on connecting traffic from other Indian cities primarily DEL and BOM. For MNL, CCU hubbing may not be ideal as it would mean 2 uneven legs. HKG and BKK will continue to be the best bets.

Saudi Arabia is all about heavy O&D and the route dynamics is very different.
Indiadreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2019, 07:09 AM   #14602
90sKid
Outsider

Likes (Received): 4052

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Given that Indigo's longest flight right now lasts around 7hr+ between Delhi and Istanbul, if not over 6hr between India and Saudi Arabia, then Kolkata to Manila as a new destination for Indigo is not far fetched, is it?
But why Manila?
As discussed on the India Aviation | Airlines | Airports News II thread, there is a defined reason for IndiGo to commence regional International flights from CCU. One of them being the Buddhist pilgrim traffic into GAY, etc.

What would the the compelling reason for 6E to fly to MNL from CCU?

I did post a link to an article that describes 6E's reasoning/strategy for these new CCU flights here on this thread. But the baby was thrown out with the bathwater, i guess..

Anyway, here it is again..

Quote:
IndiGo already operates flights to Thailand from Kolkata and has announced flights to Myanmar, Vietnam and China. The only major market which is not yet announced from Kolkata is flights to Sri lanka. The current network will make Kolkata a transit hub for passengers who conglomerate there before proceeding to Gaya, Varanasi, Gorakhpur and Kathmandu.

The de-risking strategy will also help get domestic connections from major metros which are connected to Kolkata with multiple daily flights. The lack of non-stop flights to most of the countries in the east including Myanmar and Vietnam — which are becoming popular with Indian tourist, would see a steady traffic potential of Indian tourists flying IndiGo via Kolkata.

Kolkata is a level 3 airport by IATA standards. This means that the airport is congested and additional movements may not be possible. However, new destinations get priorities when slots are limited and to add to that IndiGo has built a formidable hub at Kolkata over the years, allowing it to cancel its own flights on domestic sectors to utilise the slots for additional international flights.

With an integrated terminal at Kolkata — the transfer from domestic to international and vice versa is relatively simpler than New Delhi — the airline’s primary hub.
Why religious tourism could be the next big bet for IndiGo
- Business Standard

ayan92, DebjyotiSamKolkata liked this post
90sKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 08:28 AM   #14603
Indiadreams
indiadreams

I think Manila if closer would have got a flight from CCU - hubbing traffic from all over Indian metros. DEL already has a good government / diplomatic traffic to Manila

It is quite far for an LCC to pull off and stimulate leisure demand, though Philippines might be affordable for Indian tourists.

I do think the Buddhist tourist circuit may not be a great attraction for Vietnam and Sri Lanka. These are very small countries with very less per capita income to support a huge volume. HKG, Thailand and China are ideal for Buddhist tourist circuit traffic as they have high per capita income to produce volumes. The author of the column quite leveraged it generally. Vietnam is driven by outbound traffic from Indian metros and CCU is still ideal to hub it (irrespective of inward Buddhist tourist numbers).

Moreover CCU has dozens of flights to metros than a very few flights to Buddhist circuit. IMO, the hub in CCU to short haul destinations in the East is mainly built on the strength of traffic from Indian metros. Buddhist traffic is just a sweetener in certain segments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2019, 09:01 AM   #14604
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Kolkata | Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport | CCU

I think we would have had more flights to the East if there are no seat restrictions to Middle East. A route like Manila is easily feasible if our airlines have spare capacity to hub the traffic to Middle East. Which country can challenge India in hubbing such traffic from East to West when we have such a strong base traffic to Middle East.

Such a short sightedness, I would say.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old August 1st, 2019, 11:50 AM   #14605
sumang007

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post
DEL-IST is an experiment where the jury is still out. Indigo announced 2nd frequency during Pak airspace close even before the 1st frequency started. Now with the opening of Pak air space closure, it is still silent on 2nd frequency while all western flights to DEL are reinstated in no time. This tells a lot about the route’s performance!! Moreover DEL is supposed to provide most of the traffic with only less support from connecting traffic.

That is not the case with recent CCU routes to East and SE Asia. It heavily relies on connecting traffic from other Indian cities primarily DEL and BOM. For MNL, CCU hubbing may not be ideal as it would mean
Indigo goes double daily on DEL-IST from Sep5. Mum and Del also rely significantly on connecting traffic from other Indian cities for international flights..
sumang007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:02 PM   #14606
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Is it? I didn't know 6E is resuming its second daily IST flight.

Yes, BOM and DEL rely on connecting traffic too. But the 6E hub at CCU is one of its kind as it predominantly hubs short haul blue ocean strategy flights!

btw, DEL-IST relies on the hub at IST rather than at DEL. IST is no BKK or even HAN for Indians to flock in numbers!

Last edited by Indiadreams; August 1st, 2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old August 1st, 2019, 02:01 PM   #14607
invincibletiger

Likes (Received): 3761

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmin View Post
Malindo inflight service is much better than AirAsia. If the fare difference is small, pax will choose Malindo over AirAsia. Also, Malindo is a full service carrier for travel beyond 2 hours.
Moreover Malindo allows free check-in luggage. In Air Asia you have to pay.

soumalya747 liked this post
invincibletiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 05:43 PM   #14608
sumang007

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Is it? I didn't know 6E is resuming its second daily IST flight.

Yes, BOM and DEL rely on connecting traffic too. But the 6E hub at CCU is one of its kind as it predominantly hubs short haul blue ocean strategy flights!

btw, DEL-IST relies on the hub at IST rather than at DEL. IST is no BKK or even HAN for Indians to flock in numbers!
If you study Indian tourist traffic to turkey and Thailand. The ratio is 1:10 as of 2018. The restrictive flight agreement between India and turkey (14 flights a week) is the primary cause for the lower tourism count. Turkey is one of the most visited countries. of the world, ahead of Thailand. On a lighter note, trust you have heard of Nusrat...and her wedding

vaidya liked this post
sumang007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 06:16 PM   #14609
Indiadreams
indiadreams

I dont think tourists look for direct flights. They look for cheap flights with options. I think India- Turkey has several options by ME3 and other Middle East based airlines.

Turkey may be a huge tourist destination thanks to the proximity to Europe who have money to make leisure trips, but it is bit on the expensive side for Indians.

SE Asia fits the Indian wallet much better.Vietnam would grow much faster as a tourist destination rather than Turkey (irrespective of bilateral). Increase in Turkey Bilaterals would help VFR traffic to UK and US rather than leisure traffic.

90sKid, soumalya747, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old August 1st, 2019, 06:53 PM   #14610
Indiadreams
indiadreams

To add to that, Indian visitors to Turkey would also comprise the Indian white collar work force in the Middle East. Contrary to the popular belief, Indian white collar workforce in Middle East is quite significant.

vaidya liked this post
Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:01 PM   #14611
Aritra Das

Likes (Received): 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipu8013 View Post
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70403413.cms

But this year, owing to a number of construction activities in the airport premises, the shamiana came up at New Town and half of the boarding process has been shifted there.

pardon me, but can anyone tell me what are the current constructions going on in the airport premises? encouraging to hear, but what works are going on exactly?
I am wild guessing here..but I remember that there was a talk of doing some restoration and connect the integrated terminal to the old domestic terminal's to make use of the old 3 aerobridge as well as expand the holding/waiting area since the airport which is approaching 20 mn capacity (I.e.: planned full capacity of the new integrated terminal inaugurated in 2013). Is this the construction being talked about apart from the metro work and other real estate development like hotels in the city side?
Aritra Das no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 03:31 PM   #14612
banibrata

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritra Das View Post
I am wild guessing here..but I remember that there was a talk of doing some restoration and connect the integrated terminal to the old domestic terminal's to make use of the old 3 aerobridge as well as expand the holding/waiting area since the airport which is approaching 20 mn capacity (I.e.: planned full capacity of the new integrated terminal inaugurated in 2013). Is this the construction being talked about apart from the metro work and other real estate development like hotels in the city side?
AAI is yet to start construction to connect the old Domestic Terminal with the New One. I assume the plan has not been finalized yet. The construction mentioned here are for the ATC Tower and Metro Work. New Hotel is not nearby, it is near the Airport Gate 1.

Aritra Das liked this post
banibrata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 09:33 PM   #14613
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 12318

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sKid View Post
But why Manila?
As discussed on the India Aviation | Airlines | Airports News II thread, there is a defined reason for IndiGo to commence regional International flights from CCU. One of them being the Buddhist pilgrim traffic into GAY, etc.

What would the the compelling reason for 6E to fly to MNL from CCU?

I did post a link to an article that describes 6E's reasoning/strategy for these new CCU flights here on this thread. But the baby was thrown out with the bathwater, i guess..
Okay, let me put my case for the Philippines to Kolkata. Even if there will be a small demand (for the time being) for Manila to Kolkata to survive, the low-cost carrier industry in the Philippines is huge business, especially with many Filipinos traveling on shoestring budgets. While India is a bit further away than the traditional tourist destinations like South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia, the Philippines has received thousands of expats from all over India because they'd like to enhance their English further, if not work in our industries here as well (especially those with college degrees). And by the way, as Filipinos are becoming more middle class (plus with a new Manila International Airport in the works), I can truly foresee a future where the Philippines sends and receives an abundance of flights from multiple cities in India, particularly Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkata. Of course, while our nation is overwhelmingly Catholic, we love shopping, staying on the beach, spending time with our families, and exploring natural attractions. (And by the way, prior to the big jets, Philippine Airlines used to serve Kolkata en route to Europe)

With airlines like Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific wanting to stay true to their Filipino roots, I believe that a low-cost carrier like Indigo can test the Philippine waters and see if it can succeed driving more Filipino and Indian tourists to their respective markets, especially when the Philippines is fast-tracking a lot of needed infrastructure projects, and India has a huge human capital to develop even further. Both the Philippines and India are leaders in Business Process Outsourcing (BPOs), in which thanks to our excellent command of English, we can provide services to companies worldwide, from customer service to technical support. (Hell, I can continue my spiel all I want here!)

But, the key point is this: we, Filipinos, would like to explore beyond the confines of the Middle East, Southeast Asia, East Asia, and North America, the most popular overseas destinations for leisure, business, and even human deployment for overseas jobs. Our population is growing rapidly, surpassing 110 million people not that long ago. And our urban centers are growing very rapidly that Manila, Cebu, and Davao want even more investments in their cities, which can then translate to further economic development. Hence, even if we might not have the intended religious crowd, I believe, from an economic and touristic standpoint, the Philippines deserves more flights from India. Rather than waiting for Philippine Airlines to resume flights, I am one who wants to take risks by allowing certain carriers like Indigo to come in and operate services. Perhaps though, it is a good opportunity to review the terms and conditions of the Philippine-India Bilateral and see where airlines like Indigo can come in and revise it.

Quote:
I think Manila if closer would have got a flight from CCU - hubbing traffic from all over Indian metros. DEL already has a good government / diplomatic traffic to Manila

It is quite far for an LCC to pull off and stimulate leisure demand, though Philippines might be affordable for Indian tourists.
The Philippines can be an affordable destination for Indian tourists and expats. As we speak, the exchange rate is:

INR 1 = PHP 0.74

(conversely, PHP 1 = INR 1.35)

And if you want prices of basic commodities, look at this chart from the (Philippine) Department of Trade and Industry.

One major drawback, though, for Indian tourists visiting the Philippines, might be the huge presence of meat in our food. Yes, we love eating meat, but, if we are to cater to the Indian market, Filipino companies and businesses must find ways to adopt to them (e.g. Hindus cannot eat beef or eggs; many Buddhists are Lacto-Vegetarian; Jains cannot eat meat, fish, or eggs; etc.) Grains, fruits, and vegetables are in abundance. Some Filipino firms already cater to the Muslim market, especially in the big cities and Mindanao. Perhaps it's time for the Filipino market to mature even further to cater to the Indian community, I must say.

Quote:
I do think the Buddhist tourist circuit may not be a great attraction for Vietnam and Sri Lanka. These are very small countries with very less per capita income to support a huge volume. HKG, Thailand and China are ideal for Buddhist tourist circuit traffic as they have high per capita income to produce volumes. The author of the column quite leveraged it generally. Vietnam is driven by outbound traffic from Indian metros and CCU is still ideal to hub it (irrespective of inward Buddhist tourist numbers).

Moreover CCU has dozens of flights to metros than a very few flights to Buddhist circuit. IMO, the hub in CCU to short haul destinations in the East is mainly built on the strength of traffic from Indian metros. Buddhist traffic is just a sweetener in certain segments.
That has been my observation. The Buddhist circuit is essentially a bonus to places with a lot of practicing Buddhists. Although Manila has a much smaller Buddhist community compared to Hong Kong or Bangkok, its economic importance is not to be underestimated. It's just that our airport is overcrowded that, I suspect, if Indigo or another carrier wants to serve Manila, I might wait until the new Manila Airport is built before we can line up new flights to India.

Quote:
I think we would have had more flights to the East if there are no seat restrictions to Middle East. A route like Manila is easily feasible if our airlines have spare capacity to hub the traffic to Middle East. Which country can challenge India in hubbing such traffic from East to West when we have such a strong base traffic to Middle East.

Such a short sightedness, I would say.
Seat restrictions can be negotiated by governments. After all, those are artificial limits aviation boards put on themselves because those officials fear overcapacity can result in losing revenues for the airlines serving between India and the Middle East. In fact, Emirates and Qatar Airways always have overbooking issues on their flights to Manila... if I recall correctly, their flights run at over 95% full. That should motivate them to add more flights. But, due to Manila running overcapacity as well, it might be wise to wait until a new airport is built before mounting new flights.

Pittsburg • Piedmont • Petaluma • Palo Alto • Pacifica • Orinda • Oakley
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 05:46 AM   #14614
90sKid
Outsider

Likes (Received): 4052

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I believe, from an economic and touristic standpoint, the Philippines deserves more flights from India. Rather than waiting for Philippine Airlines to resume flights, I am one who wants to take risks by allowing certain carriers like Indigo to come in and operate services.
Nice! As of now IndiGo is focussed on developing an India-centric network. Hopefully, someday they can come around to giving the Philippines what it deserves.
90sKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #14615
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 12318

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sKid View Post
Nice! As of now IndiGo is focussed on developing an India-centric network. Hopefully, someday they can come around to giving the Philippines what it deserves.
That's fine, much like how Cebu Pacific is focused on regional services and high-density destinations where lots of Filipinos want to work and travel for rock bottom prices. Both IndiGo and Cebu Pacific are growing their fleet (with Airbus aircraft), with the latter trying to squeeze in as many economy seats as possible on the A330NEO.

I most certainly hope IndiGo can fill the need for flights between the Philippines and India, especially if Air India is struggling to find financial stability. Maybe it's time to assess the demand for flights between the two nations and see what the airlines can do about it. Cebu Pacific is ordering the A321NEO to serve India and Australia, much like how PAL uses its A321NEOs. However, I really would like to see flight rotations to Manila using Indian aircraft, similar to how IndiGo does flight rotations in Singapore, Bangkok, and the Middle East.

Pittsburg • Piedmont • Petaluma • Palo Alto • Pacifica • Orinda • Oakley
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 05:56 AM   #14616
Kunal Gupta

Likes (Received): 595

May be sounding as a devil's advocate and shall be happy to be proven wrong - Indigo's inaugural flight to Hong Kong does look uncertain going by whatever is going on in Hong Kong. Widespread disturbances are going on for quite some time and yesterday around 100 odd flights got cancelled. As such it is scheduled for 20th August and hopefully situation will ease out by then so that the same can start.
Kunal Gupta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 06:56 PM   #14617
ChennaiPlaneSpotter

Likes (Received): 3943

IndiGo starts daily Kolkata-Silchar from September 20th.

6E 6558 CCU0730 - 0845IXS A320 D
6E 596 IXS0915 - 1030CCU A320 D

Wow, 6E is betting big on CCU!
Old August 6th, 2019, 07:13 PM   #14618
alejandro-leon

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChennaiPlaneSpotter View Post

Not big, they are betting yuuuuge, it's just tremendous.

ChennaiPlaneSpotter liked this post
alejandro-leon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 07:22 PM   #14619
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Cat II compliance. No betting here!! CCU and DEL will have a huge share of Cat II compliance routes as they are close to mountainous regions. Both airports have reasonable number of slots to accommodate these routes too!

MAA gets that odd Port Blair flights.

90sKid liked this post
Old August 7th, 2019, 07:39 AM   #14620
Kunal Gupta

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChennaiPlaneSpotter View Post

Looks like the same aircraft will do CCU IXS CCU RGN CCU.

Do we see another addition ex-CCU once the aircraft comes back from RGN?
Kunal Gupta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airline, airport, calcutta, ccu, domestic, dumdum, flight, international, kolkata, kolkata airport, nscbi, terminal