SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MANCHESTER | Projects & Construction

Tags
manchester
3M views 9K replies 330 participants last post by  SteKnight 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
MediaCity
20 acres in phase 1, 200 acres total. Under construction. Approx 7 million sq ft.

Current:

Render:

Green Quarter
Large residential scheme with numerous midrises to 21 storeys. Under construction. Approx 2.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Spinningfields
Large office led scheme, multiple buildings including the iconic Denton Corker Marshall Civil Justice Centre, highest approx 200m. 3 Hardman Square (75m) currently under construction. Under construction. Approx 4.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Eastgate
Residential and hotel tower. 188m to roof. Under construction.

Current:

Rendering:

Gravity
Residential tower. 118m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Canopus
Residential and hotel towers. 165m and 111m. Construction imminent.

Render:

ManYoo
4 residential towers at 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Chapel Wharf
Residential tower. 125m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Foundry Wharf
Residential. 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Crown Tower
Residential and hotel tower. 160m. Site prep imminent.

Render:

Chancellor Place
Residential, office, hotel and medical scheme. Approx 4 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Vivo
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Greengate Embankment
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

First Street
Residential, office and retail. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

There's plenty more going on too, so come and have a look at the Manchester forum! :)

See less See more
#124 ·
Axis Tower, 28 floors

Will start construction as soon as it gets planning permission

Manchester's Axis office tower re-emerges as homes

Stalled plans for a 18-storey office block in Manchester have been brought back to life by 5plus Architects - as a 28-storey residential tower

The original £17million scheme by HKR for the Property Alliance Group was unveiled in 2007, but the project languished during the recession.

Now 5plus, the 50-strong Manchester and London practice which was set up five years ago by ex-HKR staff, has come up with new designs for the same developer and joint venture partner Development Securities.

Dubbed the ‘Axis’, the development will house 172 apartments and two of the city’s ‘most sophisticated and desirable penthouses’ on the top floor.

The building will be clad in reflective metallic bronze and glass and, on the city facing façade, features an LED ‘that will disappear when not in use’.

Jon Matthews, director at 5plus said: ‘We’ve been working on this site for nearly 10 years.

‘A unique site required a unique and dramatic response and we are fortunate to be working with a developer who shares our vision and ambition to deliver Manchester’s best residential building.’

Construction is scheduled to start as soon as planning approval is granted this autumn.

The scheme is set to complete in late 2016

#133 ·
Brilliant updates mate.

I love the use of Yellow at the above complex.

The Etihad expansion is amazing. Manchester has become the greatest City in the world in terms of Football and I hope it stays that way. The City Vs United rivalry is becoming more known around the globe. It's also fantastic for the Premier League in general.

Again, nice work lads.

#134 ·
Here is a showcase of Greater Manchester's finest transport-serving buildings:

BUILT

Manchester Piccadilly Railway Station - opened in 1842 as Manchester London Road, the station was most recently upgraded in 2002 and houses InterCity and Regional National Rail services and Manchester's Metrolink light-railway:

Manchester Victoria Railway Station - currently in the process of being re-built, this fine Victorian masterpiece lay in a state of somewhat neglect; with Metrolink arriving in 1992 and the Manchester Arena addition in 1996, it was forgotten about, until plans to totally revamp were confirmed last year:

The OLD:

The NEW:

Hyde Bus Station - completed in 2006, this fine, sweeping building was a kind addition to the town of Hyde, and creates a welcoming environment to the town:

Rochdale Transport Interchange - completed in April of this year, the transport interchange of Rochdale incorporates Metrolink and Bus services, linking Manchester, Yorkshire and Lancashire:

UNBUILT

Wythenshawe Town Centre Interchange- the welcomed news of the Metrolink Airport line opening a year early, a gateway to the expansion's serving town was well needed, replacing the inadequate outdoor bus station:

Piccadilly HS2 expansion- this futuresque building seems far away, with uncertainty surrounding the whole HS2 project, but it's one monster of a railway station:

Altrincham Interchange- scheduled for completion at the end of this year, this project combines the old of the Railway/Metrolink station and a new bus station, providing a well needed link between the two and ultimately a warm welcome to the town:

That's it folks :cheers:

#136 ·
Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester's main railway station serving all corners of the county as well as suburban Manchester routes. It's served by First TransPennine Express, Northern, Virgin Trains, Cross Country, Arriva Trains Wales & East Midlands Trains.
Credit to all the photographers featured here.

Northern Rail - Class 323 - 323236 by MadAboutTrains, on Flickr
Northern operated 323.

350409+350401 by Lukas31 Transport Photography, on Flickr
Pair of FTPE 350/4s, introduced onto Scottish workings from December 13 following the completion of phase one north western electrification.

43047 by AJF 1, on Flickr
East Midlands Trains HST working a special to St Pancras during a blockade in the WCML.

Manchester Piccadilly by DarloRich2009, on Flickr
A cross country voyager stands on the left of the photo with a working to Bournemouth, to the right a northern 323 stands at the buffers with a FTPE 185 behind it most likely reversing to head off across the Pennines or to the Airport.

Manchester Piccadilly by DarloRich2009, on Flickr
An Arriva Trains Wales 175 stands at platform 14 with a working to North Wales.

#137 ·
MANCHESTER UPDATE SEPTEMBER 10th 2014

All photos are from members of the Manchester construction forum, not myself. All credit goes to them and not me.

NOT MY PHOTOS.

SILLIVAN WAY APARTMENTS

Huge scheme is now coming to an end - the "tower" element is almost 20 floors (not really a tower, but hey)

MANCHESTER CITY ETIHAD STADIUM EXPANSION

The Etihad will be the country's third largest stadium when this is completed - after Wembley and Old Trafford, also in Manchester. You can see the tower cranes looming:

ONE GREENGATE, APARTMENTS, 31 & 21 FLOORS

CAMBRIDGE STREET APARTMENTS | 30, 21 & 15 FLOORS

Construction has now started.

I'll post more soon (there's always more) :banana:

#138 ·
All photos are from members of the Manchester construction forum, not myself. All credit goes to them and not me.

NOT MY PHOTOS.

MANCHESTER CITY ETIHAD STADIUM EXPANSION

The Etihad will be the country's third largest stadium when this is completed - after Wembley and Old Trafford, also in Manchester. You can see the tower cranes looming:

I'll post more soon (there's always more) :banana:
Personally, I'm a red, but I must give my credit to City and its architects on this one; they've done a fantastic job of tying-in the old stadium and new tiers! Well done.

#139 ·
Northern Hub Rail Development

Manchester sits at the centre of the North of England's rail network. But while this is a major positive for the city, it's also a burden because our rail network is overwhelmingly clogged and congested.

The solution, at least for the next decade, is Northern Hub. More platforms at main stations and upgrades to track where needed.

Renders:

Two extra through-platforms at Piccadilly station:

New redeveloped station at Oxford Road, including more retail and an expanded station concourse:

#140 ·
Planning application is in for 27-storey Axis Tower.

Land Bounded By Albion Street, Trafford Street & The Rochdale Canal Manchester

Construction of a lower ground plus 27 storey residential building (Class C3) with associated servicing arrangements, hard landscaping, pedestrian access bridge and associated works
http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=N9SAL7BC03O00