SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MANCHESTER | Projects & Construction

Tags
manchester
3M views 9K replies 330 participants last post by  SteKnight 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
MediaCity
20 acres in phase 1, 200 acres total. Under construction. Approx 7 million sq ft.

Current:

Render:

Green Quarter
Large residential scheme with numerous midrises to 21 storeys. Under construction. Approx 2.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Spinningfields
Large office led scheme, multiple buildings including the iconic Denton Corker Marshall Civil Justice Centre, highest approx 200m. 3 Hardman Square (75m) currently under construction. Under construction. Approx 4.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Eastgate
Residential and hotel tower. 188m to roof. Under construction.

Current:

Rendering:

Gravity
Residential tower. 118m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Canopus
Residential and hotel towers. 165m and 111m. Construction imminent.

Render:

ManYoo
4 residential towers at 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Chapel Wharf
Residential tower. 125m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Foundry Wharf
Residential. 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Crown Tower
Residential and hotel tower. 160m. Site prep imminent.

Render:

Chancellor Place
Residential, office, hotel and medical scheme. Approx 4 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Vivo
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Greengate Embankment
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

First Street
Residential, office and retail. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

There's plenty more going on too, so come and have a look at the Manchester forum! :)

See less See more
#241 ·
I was born and raised in North Cheshire. Most of my extended family live in Warrington and Liverpool. Or rather, the outskirts of (Prescot). And Northwich, for a couple of years. I moved to London for university and worked there after for seven years - minus a year in New York for work experience. And while it was the first place I moved to out of the nest, and therefore holds a special place in my life, I'm no more a Londoner than Cesc Fabregas, it's not where I'm from. I'm not 'fresh off the plane'.

It's also not my fault that Liverpool comes up short in the final assessment. Nor did I suggest that Liverpool is a cultural wasteland, devoid of interest. I merely pointed out the true realities of the current situation, and explained how those realities had an impact on my choice of where to live when I moved back north.

To be fair, had I been richer or more successful, I would have probably stayed in the south but lived in a slightly nicer area. Maybe. I don't know. All I do know is that of the places one can move to in the UK - and the north in particularly - Liverpool is a distant backmarker, even with family ties.

...and since when did having family living in Northwich, Warrington or Prescot qualify you to know what is happening, culturally, in Liverpool? The best people to ask what is happening culturally are the people who partake of that culture; or those who actually live in the city itself and make it their business to know what is going on. I suspect you only know as much as the average tourist - and that is not much at all. Take your blinkers off! There's just as much going on culturally in Liverpool as there is in Manchester.

#242 ·
St John's Place Masterplan

Finally some flesh appears to be being added to the as yet quite generic St John's Quarter plan.

St John's Place looks to be one individual phase of St John's Quarter: a massive central Manchester redevelopment site.

This excellent find was by NQ on the Manchester forums.

From an updated website: http://www.stjohnsmanchester.com

http://stjohnsmanchester.com/wp-cont...pson_Print.pdf

The Opportunity

Allied London, the award-winning UK developer, working in
partnership with Manchester City Council, are seeking a funding
partner to facilitate the delivery of St. John’s Place, a new
development comprising 350 residential units, a 150-bed hotel,
new commercial space and riverside leisure and dining.

The focal point is No. 1 St. John’s Place, a 36 storey tower, known
as the ‘North Tower’, which will sit at a key gateway entrance into
St. John’s and Spinningfields and is set to be the prime residential
address in Manchester.

The development forms part of a wider ‘phase 1’ which includes;
‘The Village’, a live/work development fronting St. John’s
Gardens, the creation of the Bonded Warehouse, a new multi-use
destination, the conversion of the former ITV HQ complex into an
event hotel called ‘Manchester Grande’, and the opening of the
‘Starlight Theatre’, a new entertainment venue.
Investor Role

Allied London, working in partnership with Manchester
City Council, are seeking an investor who shares our
vision for a new neighbourhood, with a focus on first rate
urban design and has the commitment and ability
to fund a residential scheme of this magnitude.

Development of St John’s Place is due to commence
early in 2016 for completion in 2017-18.

Expressions of interest are sought for the
speculative forward funding of St. John’s Place,
including the 260 unit landmark residential tower.

Allied London and Manchester City Council have instructed
leading Manchester-based Ian Simpson Architects, together
with London practices Levitt Bernstein, Buckley Gray Yeoman
and others. The successful party will be able to influence this
design prior to submission for detailed planning permission.

Blue highlighted. No1 is the tallest tower proposed for this site:

A bit more detailed:

Allied appear confident that they can find funding, and alternatively they suggest that they by themselves have the "magnitude" to deliver funding by themselves.

:)

#250 ·
Four new towers for Salford Quays - each 27 floors in height.

Four new towers planned for Salford Quays in £200m project

The four tower blocks, at Salford Quays, will include 1,036 plush pads, along with a private gym and cinema for people living there.

The project, called X1 Media City, have been given planning permission by Salford council and work on construction will start in February 2015.

A mix of one, two, and three bedroom apartments will be on offer in a joint-venture by Knight Knox International and X1 Developments.

As well as spectacular views across the Salford and Manchester, the towers will, according to the developers, be finished ‘to a standard associated with boutique hotels’.

The development is in the heart of phase two of MediaCityUK, new home of the BBC, which has 800 businesses on the site.

X1 are also currently transforming the former Salford magistrates court building at Bexley Square into 116 flats.

Samantha Jones, head of marketing at Knight Knox, said: “Investor appetite has grown in line with confidence in the UK buy-to-let market, and we have seen heightened interest in the local market over the past 18 months.

“Since launching our first joint venture with X1 Developments back in 2012, we have sold out eight sites and demand for X1 projects is extremely high, mainly due to the quality of the build and the professionalism of the lettings and management team. X1 Media City is certain to become an iconic development for Salford Quays and will rival anything located in the city centre”.

In July, the M.E.N reported that 60 luxury apartments still under construction at Salford Quays by the same partnership had been snapped up in a month - and demand is so great another 60 are being built nearby.

All of those apartments on Trafford Road, near to Fit City Ordsall sports centre are also targeted at the buy-to-let market.

The properties proved so popular that the first of three phases sold out after 10 months on the market - and the second phase, currently being constructed, went in just four weeks.

Now the developer has announced plans to build the third phase - another 60 apartments nearby as demand is so high.

#252 ·
The previous proposal was much worse in my opinion, but that too was 4x26 storey blocks so I guess they're just going down the same lines as that.

These will be the tallest buildings in the Quays though, so I'm a bit worried that it'll give the Quays a "flat" skyline - as in not much variation in heights. There's plenty of land around the Quays though, so we could get something taller. I'm just happy that 1,000+ apartments will add nearly 2000 people (with big bank accounts, by the looks of these apartments) to the Quays, adding vibrancy to what is at the moment an unbelievably dead area.

#255 ·
Ahhh man I absolutely adore the Beetham Tower..

However, 4 x some towers isn't a good idea... it would be much more pleasant to have one taller tower and one smaller tower...

It's not bad. It's just not amazing - and Manchester is {should be} going for amazing.