SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MANCHESTER | Projects & Construction

Tags
manchester
3M views 9K replies 330 participants last post by  SteKnight 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
MediaCity
20 acres in phase 1, 200 acres total. Under construction. Approx 7 million sq ft.

Current:

Render:

Green Quarter
Large residential scheme with numerous midrises to 21 storeys. Under construction. Approx 2.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Spinningfields
Large office led scheme, multiple buildings including the iconic Denton Corker Marshall Civil Justice Centre, highest approx 200m. 3 Hardman Square (75m) currently under construction. Under construction. Approx 4.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Eastgate
Residential and hotel tower. 188m to roof. Under construction.

Current:

Rendering:

Gravity
Residential tower. 118m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Canopus
Residential and hotel towers. 165m and 111m. Construction imminent.

Render:

ManYoo
4 residential towers at 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Chapel Wharf
Residential tower. 125m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Foundry Wharf
Residential. 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Crown Tower
Residential and hotel tower. 160m. Site prep imminent.

Render:

Chancellor Place
Residential, office, hotel and medical scheme. Approx 4 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Vivo
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Greengate Embankment
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

First Street
Residential, office and retail. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

There's plenty more going on too, so come and have a look at the Manchester forum! :)

See less See more
#102 ·
In the 1990s, this was all thankfully cleared once again and a new Hulme rose out of the rubble, adopting the sense of community which should never have been lost in the 1960s. New Hulme isn't as dense as pre-1960s Hulme, or as unforgivingly tall as 1960s Hulme - instead it strikes the right balance of 3 and 4 storey town houses and apartments aimed at young professionals and families
As much as I love the projects going up in Manchester I have to comment on this. I think those Hulme developments lack all the characteristics of urbanity. They look suburban, and should be kept away from the inner city.

#103 ·
I'm very excited for Manchester and I think it's got great potential. A 20-30 story building is not that uncommon anymore, and I believe this will keep getting higher as investors realise that it is worth investing in Manchester and profitable building tall in the city.

I'm especially enthusiastic about the Metrolink expansion as I think transport links are absolutely vital for a city to become more international.

Also, I really hope that Manchester remains relatively affordable. This is where London fails and Manchester can gain ground from.

And finally, I am glad that the government now understands that spreading the wealth up north by having a Northern powerhouse is very important. I think if they really are serious about this there should be massive house building in Greater Manchester.
The reason I'm saying this is because at the moment it has got roughly the same population as Birmingham, therefore by expanding it, it would clearly become the 2nd city. But also, the population growth is not that significant compared to London, so if London gets a million people within a decade as it's projected, it will just keep getting way more attention, projects etc and the problem will exacerbate. Balancing the population could help, in my opinion. Massive house building may also guarantee, for a period of time at least, that Manchester will keep supply up with demand and will not become unaffordable.

#104 ·
St John's Quarter

Today was the beginning of the early stages of the redevelopment of a major part of Central Manchester: the former Granada Studios. Granada have moved to a larger site at the Quays, opening up a large site in the city. Allied London, who already own Spinningfields (Manchester's newest business district) have now released plans of what they want to do with the land: calling it St John's Quarter after the already-existing St John's Gardens, which is on site.

The project mainly focuses on the groundscrapers, the 4-5-6 storey residential "villages". They want quite narrow streets, quite an intimate area. Mike Ingall, head of Allied London, likened it to the Northern Quarter, he wants this area to be exclusively for start-up businesses and families. He spoke of encouraging family amenities on site: pharmacies, places of worship and schools.

The tallest tower on site, we estimate it to be about 130m, will be part of the first phase with the rest following afterwards.

#107 ·
A new office tower proposed for Manchester today. Looks smart. Eric Parry architects

24 Mount Street Manchester M2 3DB

Demolition of London Scottish House and construction of new 17 Storey (inc ground floor) office building (Use Class B1) with ground floor uses (Class A1 (shops), A2 (financial and professional services, and B1 Office)) car parking, bicycle parking, landcsaping, access and servicing arrangements and associated works.

#114 ·
Fair enough...

Are they going to be keeping the big screen when they spruce up The Triangle? Or is it going to be moved somewhere else? Doesn't seem to be included in the renders...
Hopefully it won't be kept, you're right that the renders don't include it - which is a breath of fresh air. Wouldn't be surprised if they slap it on once they're finished though :(

#115 ·
Hopefully it won't be kept, you're right that the renders don't include it - which is a breath of fresh air. Wouldn't be surprised if they slap it on once they're finished though :(
I liked sitting there with some dinner watching the news and stuff... Nowhere else they could put it really if they were to move it.
Manchester is exciting me atm. Loads of cool projects (some not so). I've always said Manc's skyline doesn't seem big enough!! Here's gonna change lol

#116 ·
I liked sitting there with some dinner watching the news and stuff... Nowhere else they could put it really if they were to move it.
Manchester is exciting me atm. Loads of cool projects (some not so). I've always said Manc's skyline doesn't seem big enough!! Here's gonna change lol
They could perhaps put it on the other side facing Cathedral Gardens? That'd be a nice place to sit and eat lunch and whatever.

Manchester's very exciting at the moment, you're right. Hopefully we can bulk up the skyline a bit.