Time for some transport updates!

Metrolink Airport Line | South Manchester

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=866944&page=1944

Facts

- Cost: £1.5bn
- Line: Airport
- South Manchester
- Open date: late 2014/early 2015
- Interchange Points: 1) Airport (Air, Bus, Rail), 2) St Werburgh's Road (Metro East Didsbury), 3) Cornbrook (Metro to Eccles & Altrincham), 4) Deansgate (Rail).

Part of a 1.5bn pound package of extensions to treble the city's Metro network. The Airport Line is the last part of this extension, and is very much nearing completion. After this, there are other routes now gaining funding and planning permission to ensure that the extensions continue into the 2020s.

Not my photos.

Deansgate Metrolink Redevelopment | Central Manchester

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1661928&page=2

Facts

- Lines: All Southbound Lines
- Central Manchester
- Interchange between rail and Metrolink.

Victoria Station Redevelopment | Central Manchester

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=117315363#post117315363

Facts

- Lines: Suburban/Intercity Lines North of Manchester & All Northbound Metrolink Lines.
- Central Manchester
- Interchange between rail and Metrolink.

Not my photos:

Northern Hub | Central Manchester

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=117265776#post117265776

Facts

- 4bn pound boost to local economy
- Central Manchester
- Open date: 2019 for full project, phased
- Two new fast trains per hour between Manchester Victoria and Liverpool
- Six fast trains an hour between Leeds and Manchester (currently four)
- Journey times between Leeds and Manchester could be reduced by about 10 minutes
- Journey times between Liverpool and Manchester could be reduced by 10-15 minutes

Station expansions in Central Manchester to accommodate increase in trains entering the city from across the North:

Oxford Road:

Piccadilly:

High Speed Two | Natiowide

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=116268643#post116268643

Facts

- 30bn pounds
- Terminus at Manchester Piccadilly
- Open date: 2032 for full project, phased
- Fast trains between Manchester, Manchester Airport, Birmingham and London.
- Reduction in time taken between Manchester and London from 2hrs 7 minutes to 1hr45.

Proposals to extend Piccadilly Station in Manchester to accommodate HS2:

Velocity 2020: Manchester Cycling Agenda | City-wide

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1700391

Facts

- To double and double again number of journeys made by bike in Manchester.
- Manchester already one of UK's great cycling cities.
- Velocity aims to get 10% of Manchester commutes done by bike.
- Completion: 2025.

According to the ONS, there has been an 83% increase in the number of Manchester commuters using their bike between 2001 and 2011.

There are some dead sexy buildings going up/on the boards in Manchester, but this one still tickles me no end. I love it so much.

Next time I'm back in Manchester, I probably won't even recognize the place with all of the construction going on. That wouldn't be too much of a stretch as last time I was utterly pissed the entire time, but that would be for a different thread.

Can't wait to get back and see all that's new.
Thank you for the pictures, in particular the one with the preserved olden bricks. I think it's important that we still preserve parts of history as allot has been destroyed over time. Thanks

Amazing updates guys. I love the Metrolink expansions.

Is there a plan for a line to be built around Central(ish) Manchester - similar to the Circle Line on the London Underground?

Is there a plan for a line to be built around Central(ish) Manchester - similar to the Circle Line on the London Underground?
Not really, I think that TfGM (Transport for Greater Manchester) are trying to create a nucleated network, so lines shoot out of the city centre, serving the City by cutting through the suburbs. But don't think that means it'll stop! We've got the Trafford Centre line and, possibly, Tram-Trains to come!

We kind of already have a semi circular line U/C in the form of the Ordsall Curve - which will allow trains to run between Victoria and Piccadilly direct. Both of these stations have transfer to Metrolink available, as well as Deansgate which is along the way.

The frequency of trains along this line will be less than every 5 minutes, so it would be possible (with integrated ticketing, which appears to be on the way) to change at Victoria and then change again at Deansgate, if you couldn't be bothered with the busy City Zone section.

Whether or not people will bother doing such a trip remains to be seen!

Devolution for Manchester

Whether Scotland votes Yes or No tomorrow, the United Kingdom will never be the same again. With Westminster offering more powers to Scotland, Manchester's leaders have struck open a debate about devolution to Greater Manchester - calling it "Devo Manc". It's been hitting headlines this week, and the Chancellor is on board, promising a wave of devolution to Manchester in his Autumn Statement, due in October.

Under these plans, Manchester will receive its own Assembly, like in Greater London and Wales, with tax raising and other governmental powers devolved to it from Westminster.

Crucially, this isn't independence. Greater Manchester will still be a part of the United Kingdom.

Some news articles from this week on the topic:

Manchester 'should lead devolution', ResPublica report argues
Manchester should be given income-tax raising powers and complete control of spending within five years, a centre-right think tank has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-29201541

It seems momentum is building...

English devolution plan backed by Nick Clegg

12 September 2014 Last updated at 18:49 BST

Nick Clegg has called for more power to be given to the English regions so they can "stand on their own feet".

While the focus in the past decade had been on devolution to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, he said England was "the forgotten part of the puzzle".
BBC News video in this link > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29182803

Sky News video in this link > http://news.sky.com/story/1335700/devo-manc-northern-cities-eye-greater-powers

And now a suggestion (perhaps quite pie-in-the-sky) to relocate the UK parliament to Manchester whilst the London parliament is refurbished.

Council bosses to study plan to move Parliament to Manchester

Historic proposals to move Parliament to Manchester are being looked at by council bosses.

A taskforce is being established to find a suitable location for MPs when they move out of Westminster for its refurbishment.

It follows the headline-grabbing call by Blackley and Broughton MP Graham Stringer last year - arguing London already has enough advantages.

Over the next decade the crumbling palace of Westminster will need to be refurbished and currently the parties agree that is likely to mean moving MPs out.

Mr Stringer has now written to Manchester council chief executive Sir Howard Bernstein asking him to carry out a piece of work on the issue.

It would involve looking at potential locations within Greater Manchester to house the country’s 650 MPs.

In response, Sir Howard agreed that it was ‘worth a punt’ - and promised to start looking into it.

Can you think of anywhere in Manchester that would make a good temporary home for Parliament? Let us know on Twitter, Facebook or by emailing website@men-news.co.uk

Mr Stringer told the M.E.N. the idea had particular potency at the moment thanks to the Scottish referendum - which has seen repeated calls for greater devolution to Manchester and a shift of power out of London.

“It’s a long shot but the whole of the UK’s consitution is up in the air,” he said.

“There couldn’t be a better symbol than moving parliament to Manchester to show that the English regions are not going to be left out.

“Most regional MPs would like to get outside of Westminster and I think they would all support somewhere that wasn’t London.”

It is understood at least one senior Labour figure is particularly supportive of the idea.

The proposal adds to the chorus of voices calling for a major shift of money, power and status to cities outside of London.

On Monday we reported how Phillip Blond, a key adviser to David Cameron, wants all Greater Manchester’s £22.5bn public expenditure handed to the region. He is one of many to demand a Greater Manchester mayor.

Last year Patrick Diamond, a former Labour adviser, called for a ‘massive shift of power’ out of the capital and suggested moving the Royal Opera House and the House of Lords north.

The Chancellor has already promised a wave of devolution to Manchester in his autumn statement.

Brilliant news for Manchester. I think it's well needed for Manchester... it's becoming more and more clear that it is the UK's second City and should have its own more dedicated powers.

A similar example is in the U.S. - NYC will govern itself to a Certain Degree, likewise Chicago and Los Angeles have their own powers. All are amazing Cities with dedicated Financial Districts. I would love to see Manchester build it's own Financial District with a large Metro network (which is being built as we speak!). The ingredients for another Super-City are definitely there for Manchester.

Brilliant news for Manchester. I think it's well needed for Manchester... it's becoming more and more clear that it is the UK's second City and should have its own more dedicated powers.

A similar example is in the U.S. - NYC will govern itself to a Certain Degree, likewise Chicago and Los Angeles have their own powers. All are amazing Cities with dedicated Financial Districts. I would love to see Manchester build it's own Financial District with a large Metro network (which is being built as we speak!). The ingredients for another Super-City are definitely there for Manchester.
Thanks Bligh. I have to say a lot of people, whether they're from London or Manchester or elsewhere, are on board with this. I think it's the best way for both cities and for the entire UK. Very exciting times.

Imminent Opening of Metrolink Airport Line

In other news, ticket machines have arrived at Shadowmoss Station on the U/C Metrolink Line to the Airport

NOT MY PHOTO

This is significant, because other lines on the network have taught us that ticket machines appearing is a sign that the line is only a few weeks away from opening. Metrolink are not one for "big openings" so there's never a set date for a line to open, just in case it goes wrong. Instead they do a soft opening and then a media / press opening about a week later, after which passenger numbers soar.

So the Airport Line can't be far from opening now. This is the last line on the massive 1.5 billion pound trebling of the Metrolink network, and so it'll be significant when this line opens to the public. The first extension, to MediaCityUK, opened in 2008. Since then we've seen extensions to Chorlton, then to East Didsbury, Oldham, then Rochdale, Ashton and now the Airport.

Driver training and testing has been going on on the Airport Line since Monday morning. As ever I'll keep this thread updated :)

2 St Peter's Square | Offices | 12 floors

A few amendments to this proposal, including new renders.

The meshwork tracery will now be on both sides of the building, and has been further refined.

Louvres on the rear/top glazed section have changed from glass to powder coated aluminium + additional ceramic frit detail, there's also less of them.

The pillars on the ground floor have changed, and also the ground floor has been taken back further giving more sheltered space at the base of the building.

A few amendments to this proposal, including new renders.
I'm really not sure about this one. I think St. Peter's Square is so well renowned for its architectural simplicity; that's what makes it so classy. The KPMG building just pulls it off and fits in quite nicely, but the flower-patterned squares...just makes it look too concrete-style 1960s.

I think the flower squares are what makes this building look nice, even if it does seem to be a bit of a compromise just to make it fit in with the surrounding context.

I keep liking this and then not liking it, it's a strange one, but I think I'd rather see this there than what's there now (bar Century House, which is alright).

In fact I wish this was taller.

I think the flower squares are what makes this building look nice, even if it does seem to be a bit of a compromise just to make it fit in with the surrounding context.

I keep liking this and then not liking it, it's a strange one, but I think I'd rather see this there than what's there now (bar Century House, which is alright).

In fact I wish this was taller.
I love the flowery facade. It's beautiful. A nice bit of character. :cheers:

141 - 160 of 9,456 Posts