U/C | SYDNEY | Metro: City & Southwest (Chatswood to Sydenham and Bankstown) - Page 354 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2020, 09:09 AM   #7061
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1693

You don't need to attach anything to the Hurstville line in order to convert it to a metro. So it puzzles me why this idea get bandied around so often here.
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2020, 09:17 AM   #7062
OZ Rails

Likes (Received): 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
You don't need to attach anything to the Hurstville line in order to convert it to a metro. So it puzzles me why this idea get bandied around so often here.
Probably because the Government have no plans to convert the ESR to Metro but do have actual (advanced) plans to covert the branch from Hurstville/ Mortdale to Metro. The West Metro to Sutherland line is a thought bubble, I doubt we will ever see it happen. Its too flawed anyway.
OZ Rails no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 10:14 AM   #7063
Ernie Purrnie

Likes (Received): 110

Pics I took during my lunch break today of the last remaining tunnel segments that are due to be delivered to Kathleen - she's almost done! Spray painted in green if you look closely at the bottom of the yellow crane "UNDER HARB ONLY". BTW the blokes working at the Sydenham site (deliberately not pictured) are hilarious, good on them for their hard work!

https://imgur.com/Dx2WYRI

https://imgur.com/jrKmYpW

https://imgur.com/gcNyKE1

PS: can someone advise me how to actually post photos here? The above is my first attempt.

Gimble, ArthurDayne liked this post

Last edited by Ernie Purrnie; February 20th, 2020 at 10:22 AM.
Ernie Purrnie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 11:37 AM   #7064
Gimble

Likes (Received): 1593

[img ]https://imgur.com/Dx2WYRIh.jpg[/img]

In the above remove the space after [img

Add the h before .jpg reduces the image size so it doesn’t blow up the page.

You can also just select the BB code option in Imgur and just add the h

Ernie Purrnie, zoomwhoosh liked this post
Gimble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 12:12 PM   #7065
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Rails View Post
Probably because the Government have no plans to convert the ESR to Metro but do have actual (advanced) plans to covert the branch from Hurstville/ Mortdale to Metro. The West Metro to Sutherland line is a thought bubble, I doubt we will ever see it happen. Its too flawed anyway.
The last time I saw an official line on the map that included part of the existing rail line to Hurstville as part of a metro was the early stages of the planning for Sydney Metro. That idea got dumped years ago.
Old February 20th, 2020, 09:08 PM   #7066
Gimble

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimble View Post
I suspect this was a worst case best estimate type of report. It’s still substantially over the original $12.5B figure but recent figures are less then this. I suspect the government will let this figure stay out there so that the final result will look better in comparison to this report.
This is the more recent figure.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...20-p542n0.html
Gimble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 09:49 PM   #7067
OZ Rails

Likes (Received): 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
The last time I saw an official line on the map that included part of the existing rail line to Hurstville as part of a metro was the early stages of the planning for Sydney Metro. That idea got dumped years ago.
You know it got officially dumped forever do you? You don't think it's possible it's just not being put forward to the public right now because it's a 2030 option at best in their planning? Personally, I think either way that their hand is going to be forced for the Illawarra line and they will need something easy, I wouldn't write anything off yet.
OZ Rails no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 05:26 AM   #7068
zoomwhoosh

Linkypoo?
Old February 21st, 2020, 05:27 AM   #7069
zoomwhoosh

Wow.. Kathleen is belting along...

BuildBigger liked this post
Old February 21st, 2020, 03:26 PM   #7070
zoomwhoosh

Where exactly are we up to with actual work on the Bankstown line part of the metro?
Any early works? All contracts up and running? Timetables?
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #7071
ArthurDayne

Likes (Received): 1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJAN View Post
Most people would agree the Rydalmere detour is silly too.
Honestly, that’s probably an example of an “option” that’s presented without any intention of doing.
Thge Rydalmere detour is far from silly, and wouldn't really be a huge detour at that. A station somewhere around the location of the previous Rydalmere station would make sense, it interchanges with the light rail from Carlingford so people don't have to waste time travelling into Parramatta, provides direct access onto the WSU Parra south campus and there's plenty of busses travelling along Victoria road as it is right now that would be able to make use of a metro station there. I know it'd certaintly cut travel times into the city for myself. Theres definitley a case to be made for it.
ArthurDayne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #7072
woodies

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJAN View Post
Although it has been announced that T4 will have ten extra trains stabled at Waterfall, which implies at least 10 extra trips in the peak periods.

The above becomes possible since the slots into ESR will be freed up by sending the South Coast intercities onto the current T3 tracks then into the existing dive to Sydney Terminal (again directly implied since the NIF will include 10 car trains on South Coast).

That's also why Hurstville is getting the new crossover so locals will terminate on the other pair.

New connecting tracks will be needed North of Erskineville from the current T3 pair onto the dive portals adjacent to Eveleigh, but I expect that will only happen once the T3 is closed for conversion.
Totally agree. It's logical to make the T4 Illawarra Main (eastern track pair) between Hurstville and Bondi Junction as an all stations service with a single operating pattern. Semi-express services from Cronulla and Waterfall would use the Illawarra Local (western track pair) from Hurstville, crossing over to the Illawarra Main at Wolli Creek and merging with the Hurstville services continuing to Bondi Junction. The merged services would then become a single all stations operating pattern between Wolli Creek and Bondi Junction, giving Tempe, St Peters and Erskineville in particular a vastly improved frequency compared with the current inadequate service.

The proposed upgrading of T4 to ATO ETCS Level 2 standard will enable up to 24tph or even more with a single operating pattern on the section from Wolli Creek to Bondi Junction, which is more than enough to cater for future demand on this sector for well into the future. Converting it to metro is unnecessary and would be a waste of resources. The money would be better spent on constructing grade separated flyovers between the Illawarra Local and Main tracks at Wolli Creek as recommended in the Christie Report, to enable merging between the semi-express and all stops services without crossing conflicts.

This implies that after the Bankstown Line conversion to metro, South Coast Intercity services would be diverted to Sydney Terminal via the Illawarra Dive, with a new crossover from the Local to the Main north of the Erskineville Junction to the ESR, rather than crossing over at Wolli Creek. The new crossover has been a longstanding plan.
woodies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 PM   #7073
woodies

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDayne View Post
Thge Rydalmere detour is far from silly, and wouldn't really be a huge detour at that. A station somewhere around the location of the previous Rydalmere station would make sense, it interchanges with the light rail from Carlingford so people don't have to waste time travelling into Parramatta, provides direct access onto the WSU Parra south campus and there's plenty of busses travelling along Victoria road as it is right now that would be able to make use of a metro station there. I know it'd certaintly cut travel times into the city for myself. Theres definitley a case to be made for it.
I disagree. The metro loop to Rydalmere is unnecessary, when it will be linked by the light rail to Carlingford. The more appropriate interchange between the light rail and Metro West would be at Camellia, with the metro line continuing on a more direct route via Sydney Olympic Park to the CBD.

This is just repeating the mistakes of the past, when for example, the convoluted route of the Parramatta to Chatswood Rail Link between Parramatta and Macquarie Park via Carlingford and Epping was preferred to the more direct and faster route via Eastwood.
woodies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 PM   #7074
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodies View Post
I disagree. The metro loop to Rydalmere is unnecessary, when it will be linked by the light rail to Carlingford. The more appropriate interchange between the light rail and Metro West would be at Camellia, with the metro line continuing on a more direct route via Sydney Olympic Park to the CBD.

This is just repeating the mistakes of the past, when for example, the convoluted route of the Parramatta to Chatswood Rail Link between Parramatta and Macquarie Park via Carlingford and Epping was preferred to the more direct and faster route via Eastwood.
At the moment its looking like the metro won't be going to either Camellia or Rydalmere and to be honest I can see the point. It costs money to build a station and both Camellia and Rydalmere will have light rail.

If you want to interchange to the metro, you spend a few minutes more and go to Parramatta. Is pretty easy to see why there isn't enough additional value in a light rail to metro interchange when there is already one at Parramatta.

What I find a little harder to figure is the (apparent) lack of a metro station in Silverwater.

Btw I can remember when the Parramatta to Chatswood rail line first appeared in the media, thinking well this is shit. Its going to meander up the Carlingford line simply to avoid a bit of tunnel. How does this in any way "relieve" other rail lines when its going to be slower? We've got Metro West now so its never, ever going to happen.

And the CBD light rail line has killed prospects of extending the light rail from Carlingford. Pity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz