Why not a North East England sub-forum? - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #21
Pickle33

Likes (Received): 9

Isn't there a case for creating a forum to encourage people from different areas to get involved with the discussions on here? A lot of what we read is just willy-waving between Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds... which just goes round in circles and is insanely repetitious. I'd rather hear more about other places, as well as what's going on in these cities.
Pickle33 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #22
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
in all fairness blame your local council. these are the guys who for years refused proposals for newcastle. other councils for the major cities in the uk approved some of theirs and have now built or are building 100m-ish towers. newcastle missed out on the tower boom. simple really. this below is an example... refused planning permission because newcastle apparently had no need for tall buildings!

Well in fairness that tower would have look daft where it was proposed and I agree with the council that there shouldnt be towers (of say over 15 storeys or over) down on the quayside.
The council has missed the boast to to speak in terms of building towers, and there is prime development land that would have suited towers but the council says "why build it just for the sake of it?"- and to be honest they are right- I don't think Newcastle could support tall towers. Newcastle city centre living is no where near as popular as in Manc, Leeds and Liverpool- so if you build loads of tall towers full of apartments they wouldn't have sold (the are struggling to sell the apartments that have been built) and as a city we certainly wouldnt have filled the towers with new businesses. So as much I would have loved to have seen a cluster of towers by St James's Park- it just aint gonna happen and I do kind of understand a little bit why the council hasnt done it.
I would just love to see what publics views of the towers that have been built in cities in say 25 years time? Some of then don't look like very good quality now, and will we end up with people hating them as people did after they built all the council blocks of flats- that they are currently knocking them down across the UK.
geordiejon no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #23
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 97

...And then they'll all be winging and you can say i told you so! :P
bobalania no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #24
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 1510

You could have the 'Dave's backyard development' thread.. don't mean we'll have owt big built at the mo.. The UK/Eire forum must have more sub-forums than half the other regions and yet, somehow.. we probably also have the least major developments going on at present!!!!
ferge no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #25
van heckler

Likes (Received): 734

I'm pledging my support to 2 new subforums. One for the North East and one for the South. Only yesterday I produced a list of 70m+ towers U/C in the country and completely forgot about Portsmouth. I also had no idea there was a big one U/C in Ipswich. Big projects in these areas need there own threads!
van heckler no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #26
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 97

There is also the Prada Skirts in Middlehaven , that says around 55m but i think the height could be much higher maybe 60-70m+ and the Student Accomidation maybe bigger than 55m approaching 70m and also if you were to see the 3d model of phase one of Middlehaven there is 3 tall towers closest to the riverside that are yet to be unvieled although i'm guessing those are in the early stages, theres also a couple dotted about in Stockton and other places in Teesside.
bobalania no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
north east england, north east forum