ACT - General Projects and Discussion - Page 63 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Australian Capital Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #1241
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2748

If you look at the Belconnen master plan it looks like they want to re-do that whole area, including the buildings behind (vinnies etc) that are probably still leased.

Personally I think they're probably thinking of running the light rail through there so they will keep hold of the blocks until they settle on the exact alignment. It's not like the trams will do the sharp left/right the busses do when exiting the bus station to join Cohen St, so the only real options are to follow Lathlain to Luxton/Southern Cross, or a new dedicated alignment roughly along Walder and up through the current bus depot.

The bus depot itself which would make a nice high density precinct/cash cow when the Gov runs out of other land to sell in Belconnen, and probably also provides a park and ride carpark option as well.
AndyGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2018, 02:44 PM   #1242
L2
Uncle L2

Likes (Received): 1311

The bus depot should probably be relocated elsewhere over multiple sites. ACTION buses do bucket loads of dead running (about 20% of total kilometres) because they only have two depots at Belconnen and Tuggeranong to service the entire ACT.

Send the buses out to West Belconnen, Gungahlin and somewhere around the inner suburbs, which are the places where half the buses have to run empty to anyway.

The whole area west of Lathlain Street is ripe for development. It's really been opened up to the rest of the town centre with the Westfield expansion and the extension of Cohen Street, as well as having all the buses running up to Cohen Street now (yeah I know it started in 2009 but I remember when they used to run to that grotty old interchange ).
Old June 18th, 2018, 11:55 AM   #1243
Jakal

Likes (Received): 15

They’re reopening the Woden depot, so that should help some.
Jakal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 05:10 AM   #1244
AndyGM

Another bumper month for building approvals in Canberra in June. More than 800 high rise apartments approved for construction. Will know what projects they are when the detailed numbers are released in a week.

Urbania, ex0dus1985 liked this post
Old October 6th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #1245
L2
Uncle L2

Who is it who has the obsession with roundabouts in the territory? I drove up to Canberra today to visit IKEA and Costco and those ones on and around Majura Rd coming out of the shopping centre are terrible.

Why not just use traffic lights like umm, everywhere else would?
Old November 1st, 2018, 09:31 PM   #1246
delores

Likes (Received): 668

Details of the Australian War Memorial project https://www.awm.gov.au/about/our-wor...ts/FuturePlans
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 11:02 PM   #1247
AndyGM

So, I've done a roundup and by my estimate there are now more than 6000 apartments under construction in Canberra.

All estimates are rounded to the nearest hundred and include any project where earthworks have started.

2700 Inner North
700 Inner South
400 Woden
1300 Belconnen
300 Tuggeranong (not sure about this, is Jardin Terrace U/C?)
600 Gungahlin
70 Molonglo

In addition, there are another 2800 or so across the city that are on sale or at the demolition stage, plus another 5000 either approved or firm proposals (DA submitted).

Urbania, abc liked this post
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:36 PM   #1248
Harry Andrews

Likes (Received): 1224

Jardin Terrace - no.

Essence off Anketell (6 storeys) just completed.
Limani Terraces in Southquay nearing completion.
Avanti Terraces on Athlonn Drive underway.
Istra across the Lake from Southquay is now marketing.
Fresco Townhouses on the N-E side of the Lake (I believe is) underway - near the boat shed etc.

Last edited by Harry Andrews; November 17th, 2018 at 08:57 PM.
Harry Andrews está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 06:19 AM   #1249
nsn

Likes (Received): 79

Does anyone know what's going on in the Canberra Centre, with all those shops on both sides of the top level (near Myer and David Jones) being shuttered, hoarded off and now gutted? Several stores near Aldi also closing down and making way for changes.
All this after some of their recent changes have been less than successful - the beauty garden seems to shed another outlet every time I walk through it, with more of that open space now taken up by public seating and tables for that café. And of course the lower level there has never opened.
Old February 4th, 2019, 07:22 AM   #1250
abc

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsn View Post
Does anyone know what's going on in the Canberra Centre, with all those shops on both sides of the top level (near Myer and David Jones) being shuttered, hoarded off and now gutted? Several stores near Aldi also closing down and making way for changes.
All this after some of their recent changes have been less than successful - the beauty garden seems to shed another outlet every time I walk through it, with more of that open space now taken up by public seating and tables for that café. And of course the lower level there has never opened.

The internet. It's killing traditional shopping.
abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:21 AM   #1251
L2
Uncle L2

The former location of Toys R Us at Westfield Belconnen (which closed in August) seems to have about as equally as much happening there.
Old February 7th, 2019, 06:30 AM   #1252
nsn

And with the top floor of Myer being emptied out today and closed down soon, that old Toys 'R' Us space won't be the only big empty space in Westfield Belconnen.
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:34 AM   #1253
alexcnb

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
The former location of Toys R Us at Westfield Belconnen (which closed in August) seems to have about as equally as much happening there.
Yeah, I thought there would be interest shown quicker. Is there nothing in the plans for that big space?
They could increase the eating area and place more restaurants, with their own private space and a la carte options. The only thing is that there are already plenty of eating options, so not sure if that is going to work.
My guess is that one of the big furniture/electrical retailers may move in one of the Myer floors, perhaps Harvey Norman or Freedom.
I doubt Big W would be interested in being present in Belconnen. It would be their fifth store here, and it would get tough competition from Target and Kmart. wonder if they are interested.
The other option would be a big fashion retailer, like Zara or H&M to move in. But I wonder if their Canberra market is doing so well as to need a second store. Plus Belconnen is not really a 'fashion' destination.
alexcnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 03:51 AM   #1254
abc

More shops for the Canberra Centre

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/nike-and-the-north-face-to-open-in-the-canberra-centre-20190327-p51876.html
Old April 1st, 2019, 08:45 AM   #1255
nsn

Kaufland is advertising Area Manager positions for the ACT. I'm not aware of any talk of a Kaufland store being constructed anywhere. Another big box for Majura Park? Would the Toys'R'Us space be an option, or too small for Kaufland?
Old April 1st, 2019, 09:25 AM   #1256
abc

Woolworths today announced they’ll be closing 30 Big W stores. Five in the ACT and airport one is always quiet. Might work out
Old April 10th, 2019, 12:41 AM   #1257
Timbob

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc View Post
Woolworths today announced they’ll be closing 30 Big W stores. Five in the ACT and airport one is always quiet. Might work out
I was trying to find a list of which ones they were closing, but I couldn't. But 5 in the ACT? ... that must be all of the ACT stores, is it?! Belco, Gunghastly, Tuggers, Woden & Majura.
Timbob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 01:04 AM   #1258
nsn

I think you've misinterpreted what abc was saying, which I took as just referring to the fact there are 5 stores in the ACT, not that all 5 are closing (but that given the one at Majura Park is always quiet, it might be among the 30). No decision is made or announced by Woolworths yet as to which stores are closing - they just said negotiations with landlords are continuing

abc, Timbob liked this post
nsn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz