LOS ANGELES - 2028 Summer Olympic Games | Games of the XXXIV Olympiad - Page 29 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2019, 05:31 PM   #561
redspork02

Likes (Received): 1056

I think you misunderstood slipperdogs sentence. (if not, sorry). He says Cal Baptist (private) would have to build new dorms, not UCR.

UCR has dorms. Lots of student housing they can use.

UCR and Lake Perris are 16 miles apart.

THey can use them without needing to build any more buildings.

They can stay at Pentland Hills Dorms. Pretty new buildings.
or Lothian. Even Aberdeen (old).
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pe...4d-117.3224133

I don't see why UCR would not allow them for use. If UCLA can, why not UCR.
Exposure alone is worth the cost for UCR.

SUMMER OLYMPICS -
2028 - "FOLLOW THE SUN"
FIFA 2026 - UNITED - CA:MEX:USA
College Football Playoff National Championship - January 9, 2023
Super Bowl LVI - February 6, 2022
2020 Major League Baseball All-Star Game - July 14th, 2020

IT'S TIME FOR
DODGER
BASEBALL!!

Last edited by redspork02; April 8th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2019, 07:38 PM   #562
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspork02 View Post
I think you misunderstood slipperdogs sentence. (if not, sorry). He says Cal Baptist (private) would have to build new dorms, not UCR.

UCR has dorms. Lots of student housing they can use.

UCR and Lake Perris are 16 miles apart.

THey can use them without needing to build any more buildings.

They can stay at Pentland Hills Dorms. Pretty new buildings.
or Lothian. Even Aberdeen (old).

I don't see why UCR would not allow them for use. If UCLA can, why not UCR.
Exposure alone is worth the cost for UCR.
Of course, this is all speculation -- but the point the IOC and the Rowing Federation want is for the Rowing athletes to share the communal Village experience with the main body of athletes who will be billeted @ UCLA. It's not NOT having their own quarters closer to Perris. As we have all speculated, that is seemingly possible.

In the last go-around in 1984, the Rowing folks were already billeted @ UC-Santa Barbara. I think that proved to be a lesser Olympic experience for them than those housed at USC and UCLA. I believe the 2028 organizers want to BETTER that experience by housing them @ UCLA without breaking the bank with a new venue or having to drive them for at least 2 hours to Perris (or Long Beach).

I am sure reasonable negotiations with UCR can be arrived at -- but does 2028 want a repeat of the 1984 experience for the Rowing athletes? That is the main question. Even housing them @ USC with the media could cut down travel time to Perris by what? 45 minutes -- but it would still deprive them of schmoozing and networking with the other jocks @ UCLA.

The whole point though of getting the rowers' housing as close to the venue is, because at these outdoor settings, competition before 10am is ideal when the high winds have not kicked up and the sun isn't too hot, thus, the closer their housing is, the later they have to set out for the course. But if the rowers have to be @ Perris @, say 8:00 am, then they have to get up @ 5:30 am, have some breakfast and then allow for 2 hours' travel time from UCLA to Perris. Which would also mean that the fans for Rowing would also have to arrive @ the venue at around 8 - 8:30 when the competition gets going.

But if Rowing were held @ Sepulveda, then they wouldn't have to get up until 6:30 or 7:00am, before setting out for Sepulveda @ 7:30 and be there around 8:00 -- or 9:00 am would be an even better start.

I know those early morning starts were demanded by the wind conditions @ both Casitas (1984) and Lanier (1996). I don't know if they have the same wind conditions @ Perris.

Can LA 2028 have their cake and eat it too?

redspork02 liked this post

Last edited by Knitemplar; April 9th, 2019 at 08:10 AM.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:08 AM   #563
Knitemplar

I have an idea for 8-person rowing races if they want to keep them in the Long Beach Marine course for the 2K distance, WITHOUT digging up the course. How about after the first 1,000 meters, they REVERSE the rowing and let the boats row out in the order that they reached the 1,000 mark? Also, that way, the paying fans would TRULY get their money's worth because not only would they see the boats take off, but see them come back to the starting line? I think this would really be innovative.
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:40 PM   #564
pesto

Likes (Received): 3902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
I have an idea for 8-person rowing races if they want to keep them in the Long Beach Marine course for the 2K distance, WITHOUT digging up the course. How about after the first 1,000 meters, they REVERSE the rowing and let the boats row out in the order that they reached the 1,000 mark? Also, that way, the paying fans would TRULY get their money's worth because not only would they see the boats take off, but see them come back to the starting line? I think this would really be innovative.
Agree completely. Rowing and beach volleyball (among other sports) seem SO naturally Long Beach that I could picture a separate athlete's village down there.

The point of the Olympics is NOT the precise details of the competitive arrangement; it's the meeting of nations in celebration of sport and human vitality.

Let the two week Long Beach beach party begin! Beach Boys music and mandatory showings of Point Break every night. When you're in LA, you live LA or you go home.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:34 PM   #565
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Agree completely. Rowing and beach volleyball (among other sports) seem SO naturally Long Beach that I could picture a separate athlete's village down there.

FYI, for events sked for LB, all the athletes are still to be billeted @ UCLA (probably 45-50 mins' drive from Westwood on special Olympic lanes on the 405). And they are returning Beach Volleyball to Santa Monica though, the home of BV.

So, except for the footballers in the distant satellite sites (I think San Diego and Santa Clara), with my turn-around plan for Rowing @ Marine Stadium, then 95% of the 2028 athletes would all be communing @ the Official Village in UCLA.
Old April 11th, 2019, 07:09 PM   #566
redspork02

Quote:
What about the mouth of the LA River? too choppy? Queen Mary in the backdrop? DTLB in the backdrop?
(Queens way Bay is the name per google maps).

SUMMER OLYMPICS -
2028 - "FOLLOW THE SUN"

IT'S TIME FOR
DODGER
BASEBALL!!
Old April 12th, 2019, 12:03 AM   #567
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspork02 View Post
What about the mouth of the LA River? too choppy? Queen Mary in the backdrop? DTLB in the backdrop?
(Queens way Bay is the name per google maps).
Probably so. I think IRU is very picky about tidal currents which those two locations are subject to. Plus a lot of other logistical considerations -- crowd access; angle of the sun; where to store all those boats; environmental concerns; whose jurisdiction the venue and the shores are, etc., etc.,

Old April 12th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #568
pesto

Quote:
FYI, for events sked for LB, all the athletes are still to be billeted @ UCLA (probably 45-50 mins' drive from Westwood on special Olympic lanes on the 405). And they are returning Beach Volleyball to Santa Monica though, the home of BV.

So, except for the footballers in the distant satellite sites (I think San Diego and Santa Clara), with my turn-around plan for Rowing @ Marine Stadium, then 95% of the 2028 athletes would all be communing @ the Official Village in UCLA.
Of course; that's the current proposal. I'm saying to change that so as to make a larger beach oriented group that will have enough size to maintain a festive beach environment for at least a week. Music, exhibitions, street sports and performers, etc.

As an entirely separate issue, I would also cancel all "special Olympic lanes". That's just b/s and abuse of the LA populace. If the IOC has a problem with that, choose someone else. We are doing the IOC a favor; NOT vice versa. The IOC can't be allowed to believe they are more important than local residents' needs.
Old April 12th, 2019, 06:49 PM   #569
Knitemplar

Quote:
As an entirely separate issue, I would also cancel all "special Olympic lanes". That's just b/s and abuse of the LA populace. If the IOC has a problem with that, choose someone else. We are doing the IOC a favor; NOT vice versa. The IOC can't be allowed to believe they are more important than local residents' needs.
Nah. Not going to be an issue. One of the phenomena of the last two Summer Games in the US (LA and Atlanta) was that the freeways in and around the host city were ACTUALLY the lightest during the Olympic period in history. So the populace in both cities, voluntarily and on their own, stayed away from the freeways during the 10 regular business/working days of the Olympic period. So, no need to feel that the locals will be inconvenienced or put out of their way by having the special HOV Olympic lanes for just 17 days.

(Wasn't even an issue for Lake Placid and Salt Lake because you really do a minimum of freeway driving during the winter.)
Old April 13th, 2019, 01:44 AM   #570
pesto

Quote:
Nah. Not going to be an issue. One of the phenomena of the last two Summer Games in the US (LA and Atlanta) was that the freeways in and around the host city were ACTUALLY the lightest during the Olympic period in history. So the populace in both cities, voluntarily and on their own, stayed away from the freeways during the 10 regular business/working days of the Olympic period. So, no need to feel that the locals will be inconvenienced or put out of their way by having the special HOV Olympic lanes for just 17 days.

(Wasn't even an issue for Lake Placid and Salt Lake because you really do a minimum of freeway driving during the winter.)
Yes, I lived in LA for the 1984 Games and arranged to be out of town for a week. Not that bad for me, but I lived in the Valley and worked out of the west side.

But still, public support of Olympics will deteriorate quickly if they believe that they are getting benefits that detract from locals. Already a glimmer in Paris where rival politicians are calling for a referendum on cancelling the Olympics in the wake of Macron's continuing taxation of the rural and working poor to implement transit, building and festivities in Paris.
Old April 15th, 2019, 09:51 AM   #571
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:

The point of the Olympics is NOT the precise details of the competitive arrangement; it's the meeting of nations in celebration of sport and human vitality.

Let the two week Long Beach beach party begin! Beach Boys music and mandatory showings of Point Break every night. When you're in LA, you live LA or you go home.
Excuse me, but stating that "the point of the Olympics is not the precise details of the competitive arrangement" and spouting airy-fairy ideals about "the meeting of nations in celebration of sport and human vitality" makes you sound like an advertising executive for NBC. The Olympics are most definitely about the "precise details" - Experiencing and striving for the pinnacle of their respective sports is the ultimate for all of the athletes as well as the fans. The pinnacle event of your sport means that you don't change the rules just to suit the host city. There is no way that FISA (Rowing's international governing body) will ever agree to compromise that by making it an up-and-back course just because it's in Long Beach. That'd be like saying the Shooting events should be held in the back streets of Compton, you know, for the tradition of the area. They can make it a gang vs gang event instead - USA can be Bloods and Mexico can be Crips. Come on, get real!
Sportsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 02:43 PM   #572
ElvisBC

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
Excuse me, but stating that "the point of the Olympics is not the precise details of the competitive arrangement" and spouting airy-fairy ideals about "the meeting of nations in celebration of sport and human vitality" makes you sound like an advertising executive for NBC. The Olympics are most definitely about the "precise details" - Experiencing and striving for the pinnacle of their respective sports is the ultimate for all of the athletes as well as the fans. The pinnacle event of your sport means that you don't change the rules just to suit the host city. There is no way that FISA (Rowing's international governing body) will ever agree to compromise that by making it an up-and-back course just because it's in Long Beach. That'd be like saying the Shooting events should be held in the back streets of Compton, you know, for the tradition of the area. They can make it a gang vs gang event instead - USA can be Bloods and Mexico can be Crips. Come on, get real!
ElvisBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #573
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
I will leave aside the unbelievable racism and pettiness. I guess the internet breeds that in the small minded and ignorant.

If FISA isn't interested they can hold their own official world-championships with their own money. Not a problem. I am not saying the IOC needs to ram anything down their throats, but they are one of those sports that are not rolling in money and might be interested in getting coverage in a venue that is attractive to both viewers and to the athletes. Small country rowers posing with the latest basketball or soccer superstar might not hurt the sport either.

Virtually every sport changes rules, events, judging standards, equipment, allowable playing techniques, officiating approaches. etc. Baseballs are not made of horsehide any more nor are footballs pigskins.

Breakdancing? You don't just change the rules, you f'ing make them up. Same for any of the "artistic events" where judgment plays a determinative role and the judges are different from event to event.
Old April 30th, 2019, 06:47 PM   #574
urbanflight

Likes (Received): 190

Los Angeles 2028 Olympics budget hits $6.9B

Quote:
The organizing committee expects to break even

The Los Angeles organizing committee for the 2028 Olympics today announced an updated budget for the privately funded games, which are now expected to cost roughly $6.9 billion.

That’s up significantly from the $5.3 billion estimate that the committee included in bid documents submitted in 2017 to the International Olympic Committee, but that’s mainly because the earlier cost projection was in 2016 dollars.

Baked into the $6.9 billion estimate is a $615.9 million contingency fund in case aspects of the games cost more than anticipated. Though organizers of LA’s bid for the games have long promised that hosting will turn out to be profitable—as it was in 1984—state and city officials have already agreed to pay more than $500 million for potential cost overruns.
urbanflight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 07:32 PM   #575
redspork02

2028 L.A. Olympics Revised Budget Now Nearly $7 Billion - KTLA (local)

Quote:
The price tag on the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics is now $6.88 billion, a $1.36 billion increase that comes mainly because of accounting measures designed to better reflect inflation over the long lead-up to those games.
Inflation within 11 years? duh!

Quote:
The city of Los Angeles and state of California originally were projected to guarantee $250 million each for the contingency fund — with LA on the hook for the first $250 million, then the state for the rest. Those figures have been adjusted to $270 million apiece; the organizing committee has repeatedly said it doesn’t expect to need that backup.
better not.

Quote:
By agreeing to host an Olympics on an 11-year timeline instead of the usual seven years, LA cut different marketing deals with both the IOC and the U.S. Olympic Committee. The budget projects $2.51 billion in domestic sponsorship revenue — a lofty goal that organizers hope to reach with help of a new arrangement with NBC Universal that will pair advertising on the network’s platforms with sponsorship of the U.S. team.
hope so...... or else. tisk tisk.

SUMMER OLYMPICS -
2028 - "FOLLOW THE SUN"

IT'S TIME FOR
DODGER
BASEBALL!!
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:27 PM   #576
pesto

This is exactly why the LA approach is the one that every city should use: if things go poorly the taxpayers are not at stake to make it up.

The 270M of course is mouse-nuts and is dwarfed by the obvious benefits to local merchants from visitors and public exposure.

But the optics would for sure be better if they keep in the black.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 06:54 AM   #577
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflight View Post
Uhmmm, and what is $6.9 billion compared to $40 billion for Beijing 2008 and $52 billion for Sochi 2014? I think Tokyo 2020 will cost like US$22 billion. Besides, much of that $6.9 billion will be plowed RIGHT BACK into the LA area economy and LA workers' pockets. So, what's the beef about??
Old May 2nd, 2019, 06:29 PM   #578
pesto

Quote:
Uhmmm, and what is $6.9 billion compared to $40 billion for Beijing 2008 and $52 billion for Sochi 2014? I think Tokyo 2020 will cost like US$22 billion. Besides, much of that $6.9 billion will be plowed RIGHT BACK into the LA area economy and LA workers' pockets. So, what's the beef about??
There isn't any beef; this is just low journalism. The Olympics won't cost taxpayers anything most likely; the funds come from private sources. If there is a short-fall, the state and city have signed up for 270M each which is almost immaterial compared to the obvious benefits from that many visitors in LA and the rest of the state.

Of course, I am assuming that the LA Comm. and IOC are doing good work with the numbers; if not then anything could happen.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:13 PM   #579
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 839

LA will be fine, they have most of the infrastructures ready. That's really where past Olympics have screwed up.
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:07 AM   #580
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
LA will be fine, they have most of the infrastructures ready. That's really where past Olympics have screwed up.
Exactly. The clearest calling card of Olympics and World Cup bids is that they are funded by construction companies, unions and hotels, and fronted by their political allies who try to sell "making our city glorious" to the taxpayers.

Holding to a policy of having all major costs already committed to and in process well before the bid is voted on is probably the best way to keep this from happening.

Chevy114 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement