CHINA | Stations - Page 40 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2018, 10:29 AM   #781
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 7286

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post

Functionally:

Each pair of platforms can be accessed through a gate either side of the concourse: gates A and B each for 16 carriages. Each gate only has 4 tickets gates (and one manual gate), and is only open for a few minutes before departure. Despite the vast space there is always a scrum before departure as 500 people try to squeeze through 4 gates in 10 minutes.
That's been my main problem with the new Chinese HSR stations which I started noticing from the very first time I used it. Crowds and enormous queues are pre-programmed even in very spacious and underused stations. So effectively hindering the capacity. Which is basically a waste of resources.

My train got late once (by about 10 minutes) because the passengers simply didn't make it through the gates in time with big luggage and children. Staff seemed very stressed as well.

The technical solution to solving this problem could be done very easily by simply changing the locations and arrangements of the gates.

According to some (including this forum) the problem is the 'behaviour' of passengers who are not familiar with the crowd and gate management observed in other places. Or are simply too unaware and therefore need to be 'managed' by strict crowd and security control measures like ones we are currently observing in new stations in China. I just wonder how much truth is in that? Are Chinese really not capable of adapting to say Japanese or UK style station ticket barrier layouts? There are some good examples of how Chinese passengers are actually adapting to new rules such as queuing at the platform doors in metro stations. They now do it even without any platform guard present. Something that was unimaginable not too long ago. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to find the correct platform and make their way to the correct train without all those artificial queues, gates and security checkpoints. The current system is simply atrocious.

NCT, Zaz965 liked this post
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2018, 02:37 PM   #782
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
According to some (including this forum) the problem is the 'behaviour' of passengers who are not familiar with the crowd and gate management observed in other places. Or are simply too unaware and therefore need to be 'managed' by strict crowd and security control measures like ones we are currently observing in new stations in China. I just wonder how much truth is in that?
None whatsoever. A slightly more sinister but perfectly plausible situation is that the political culture is such that those in authority feel that people must be controlled and must know they are being controlled all the time. Don't forget the railway in China is semi-military.

They might hire expensive international consultants to build infrastructure to international standards, but those usual suspects are not going to release their vice-like grip on things when it comes to day-to-day operations.

Shenkey, cormiermax liked this post
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:59 PM   #783
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 7286

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
None whatsoever. A slightly more sinister but perfectly plausible situation is that the political culture is such that those in authority feel that people must be controlled and must know they are being controlled all the time. Don't forget the railway in China is semi-military.

They might hire expensive international consultants to build infrastructure to international standards, but those usual suspects are not going to release their vice-like grip on things when it comes to day-to-day operations.
You need to admit though that change has happened in some areas. Metros for example bar the x ray scans in stations which are bearable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Beijing metro was using some weird Soviet-style ticketing system as late as the 90s? Now metros in Mainland China are not that different from HK or Singapore in terms of how you enter the station, buy the ticket and board the train. Would it be wrong to expect that current procedures on HSR will be abandoned in the future in favor of a more convenient common sense approach? After all China didn't stay where north Korea still is and has been implementing some remarkable changes in virtually all areas of life. I really want to believe all the train station crowd management and artificial queuing stuff is temporary.
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #784
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
You need to admit though that change has happened in some areas. Metros for example bar the x ray scans in stations which are bearable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Beijing metro was using some weird Soviet-style ticketing system as late as the 90s? Now metros in Mainland China are not that different from HK or Singapore in terms of how you enter the station, buy the ticket and board the train. Would it be wrong to expect that current procedures on HSR will be abandoned in the future in favor of a more convenient common sense approach? After all China didn't stay where north Korea still is and has been implementing some remarkable changes in virtually all areas of life. I really want to believe all the train station crowd management and artificial queuing stuff is temporary.
I hope so. It fear it'll take cultural and political change of a more profound kind than we've seen before, and right now everything is moving in the wrong direction ...

China has been on the whole good at implementing changes of the hard engineering kind (building stuff). Softer aspects (making best use of what's there) ... I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm less hopeful ...
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:44 AM   #785
saiho

Likes (Received): 3716

Beijing Fengtai Station, scheduled to be open by 2020. It's a double deck station with the upper level for terminating trains.

Source

P_David, Munwon, Zaz965 liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:55 AM   #786
cheehg

Likes (Received): 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Beijing Fengtai Station, scheduled to be open by 2020. It's a double deck station with the upper level for terminating trains.

x

Source
It has another level for the legacy trains. Beijing west will become HSR only after Fengtai is finished.

jonathanNCJ, tigerleapgorge liked this post
cheehg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 12:35 PM   #787
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 22427

Harbin

Old February 26th, 2019, 03:48 PM   #788
General Huo

Likes (Received): 4384

Munwon, Short, Zaz965, tigerleapgorge, 2mchris liked this post
General Huo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:41 AM   #789
lawdefender

Likes (Received): 2778

The Guangzhou Baiyun Station ( Complex Transportation Hub Integration Project)

The provincial and municipal key construction projects with an investment of more than RMB 44 billion yuan officially entered the construction phase.

Recently, the reporter learned from China Railway Construction Co., Ltd. that the construction plan of Guangzhou Baiyun Station is fixed! The layout of the "square-circle-square" map will be used to create a retractable station that will "breath" the square.

The station scale is 11 platforms with 26 lines, and the station area is 143,000 square meters, which belongs to a large station. Comprehensive development includes hotel, apartment, office, commercial and other composite functions, with a total area of 479,000 square meters. From the appearance, Guangzhou Baiyun Station is like a "ring-and-loop" model. The project uses the layout of the "square-circle-square" diagram. The outside is the city, the inner side is the station, and the square is the two breathing squares. Judging from the published renderings, Guangzhou Baiyun Station has a strong integration, which can effectively divide different functional areas.

Among them, the breathing square can be used as a leisure landscape square in peacetime, and it becomes a multi-functional urban space for merchandise display and performing arts gatherings. During the Spring Festival, the Respiratory Plaza will become an extended elevated waiting room that accommodates a large number of passengers to temporarily gather and directly enter the station. The capacity is increased by three times, fully satisfying the demand for flexible waiting at the Pusu Passenger Station.

http://www.gz.gov.cn/gzgov//201...b14f0b28.shtml
http://news.ycwb.com/2019-02/27/content_30207033.htm
http://k.sina.com.cn/article_6658323...0&tj=none&tr=9

render of Baiyun Railway Station

The cities which I had been to: New York city,Washington DC, Boston, Atlantic City, London, Paris, Venice, Amsterdam, Munich, Zurich, Genève, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Manila, Taipei, Sydney, Brisbane, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, Port Louis

Last edited by lawdefender; March 12th, 2019 at 10:37 AM.
lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 05:02 PM   #790
cheehg

Likes (Received): 456

Baiyun station is the first step to bring the HSR into the city center. Guangzhou station will be rebuilt after this station is done. All the legacy line long distance trains will be terminal in Baiyun station in the future. Guangzhou station will be for HSR and Intercity lines only. Guangzhou South will be transfer hub for whole Pearl rive delta area.
cheehg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 10:55 AM   #791
lawdefender

Likes (Received): 2778

Guangzhou railway Stations location Map

City central area: Guangzhou Station, Guangzhou East Station, Baiyun Station(U/C)

City outbound area: Guangzhou South Station, Guangzhou North Station(U/C)

The cities which I had been to: New York city,Washington DC, Boston, Atlantic City, London, Paris, Venice, Amsterdam, Munich, Zurich, Genève, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Manila, Taipei, Sydney, Brisbane, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, Port Louis

tigerleapgorge liked this post
lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:55 PM   #792
General Huo

Xiong'an station u/c

Old March 14th, 2019, 03:46 AM   #793
saiho

Likes (Received): 3716

Qinghe Station with Line 13 now running through it.

Source

Munwon, dbhaskar, tigerleapgorge, P_David liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 03:43 AM   #794
General Huo

Yancheng High Speed Rail Station

http://v.ifeng.com/201903/video_35937625.shtml

Old April 10th, 2019, 12:51 AM   #795
General Huo

Munwon, 2mchris, cheehg, tigerleapgorge liked this post