Wingbar | Off-Topic Discussions - Page 213 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Buffalo / Niagara Falls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2019, 06:37 PM   #4241
fubo

Likes (Received): 1075

Means nothing to me, I stay off the water. I Can't swim a lick.

Last edited by fubo; October 17th, 2019 at 09:42 PM.
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2019, 03:27 AM   #4242
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fprmer WNYer View Post
Love Skiing too, In Las Vegas & Phoenix you can go Jet Skiing , Swimming and snowmobiling & skiing on the same day, almost every day on real Mountains.
You can do that in Sacramento too
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 04:33 AM   #4243
benp

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
What are the chances that ACV Auctions is bought out or relocates?
I recently attended a ceremony at UB where the founder of ACV won an award for community and university involvement - he is very dedicated to growing the company in Buffalo and hiring UB graduates.

Buffaboy, mikmo323, fubo, Guac liked this post
benp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 06:09 PM   #4244
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5361

I'll be up in the area later this week for the Eagles game. Expect a decent amount of Eagles fans in town. I was there in 2011 when the Eagles last played up there, and it was about 25% Eagles fans at the game.

It is looking like the Eagles will lose this game. There are too many injuries, and the coaching has actually been mediocre to bad.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 06:51 PM   #4245
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I'll be up in the area later this week for the Eagles game. Expect a decent amount of Eagles fans in town. I was there in 2011 when the Eagles last played up there, and it was about 25% Eagles fans at the game.

It is looking like the Eagles will lose this game. There are too many injuries, and the coaching has actually been mediocre to bad.
Just curious, why do you have such a keen interest in WNY?
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:47 PM   #4246
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
Just curious, why do you have such a keen interest in WNY?
My mom and her side of the family are from Tonawanda, and our family owns a cottage in Port Colborne. I'm up in the area 3-4 times a year.

fubo, Buffaboy liked this post
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:42 PM   #4247
fubo

Quote:
My mom and her side of the family are from Tonawanda, and our family owns a cottage in Port Colborne. I'm up in the area 3-4 times a year.
So then you would be considered a native - once removed.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 02:48 AM   #4248
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Well as someone who has been in the Sacramento metro area for a few months now, I can see why ECoastTransplant may like it here. The weather is pleasant, it almost never rains, and to me it feels like Buffalo meets the West Coast (in size), but with a better economy and other big cities to go to. Bus tickets to San Francisco are only $5-10 one way, and then public transportation in the city is relatively cheap.

One advantage this city has over Buffalo is that it's the state capital. So the capital building itself is a tourist attraction, which I've visited in my time here. Old Sacramento is sort of like a Canalside-style attraction. Or at least it's what I think Canalside should be, an organic collections of shops, museums, restaurants and parks. To be fair, it's not really that special. If you've been here 3 times like I have already it gets old pretty fast.

But then there's the DOCO area by Golden 1 Center, where the Sacramento Kings play. It's like a really small outdoor shopping mall with a bunch of new restaurants and some traditional stores like a Macy's. It also has an underground parking garage.

Getting around downtown is easy too because the light rail train runs right in front of the area and there are a ton of electric scooters and bike around the city that you can rent out through apps. I did this the other day and accidentally rode though an area with a high homelessness population (and camps), something I never saw back home. That's a function of there not being enough affordable housing in California in general and it's sad to see.

Overall I think Sacramento has many attributes that keep their residents happy and benefits that would make somebody think about relocating here. There are many things that I see here that I think Buffalo should have. One of those is the weather, and obviously there isn't a way to bring that to Buffalo.

Last edited by Buffaboy; October 22nd, 2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 05:44 AM   #4249
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
So then you would be considered a native - once removed.
You could say it that way. Buffalo is more ancestral to me than Germany or Ireland or any other country that I have blood from. I've grown up a Philly sports fan my whole life though, being born right outside of Philly and being still not too far away from Philly here in Delaware. My mom converted to an Eagles fan, too, several years ago.

fubo liked this post
Old October 31st, 2019, 06:15 AM   #4250
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I had a great time at the game on Sunday! Here's some questions and comments I have from my weekend in the area:

~ What is the font used for everything displayed in East Aurora? It looks like something Art Nouveau.
~ The rustic architecture in Letchworth State Park is great. I am pretty sure it is all from the Great Depression, built by the CCC or WPA. Did any notable architects design any buildings?
~ I went to the Big Tree Inn on game day and had a beer. Many of you may know, but it is one of the must-do things in the NFL.
~ I saw a stinkbug larvae on the beach along Lake Erie. It looks like you guys are getting those pests now. I was hoping it wouldn't make it up there.
~ I went swimming in Lake Erie, just for a short time. The water is cold by now.

Guac liked this post
Old October 31st, 2019, 07:31 PM   #4251
fubo

Quote:
I had a great time at the game on Sunday! Here's some questions and comments I have from my weekend in the area:

~ What is the font used for everything displayed in East Aurora? It looks like something Art Nouveau.
https://www.myfonts.com/search/tag:Roycroft/fonts/

xzmattzx liked this post
Old November 1st, 2019, 06:26 PM   #4252
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Did you guys know that a condo is going up in Downtown Port Colborne? It will be right along the Welland Canal, on West Street. Unlike various projects like THIS and THIS in Fort Erie, work has actually begun. There's a page for it in the Ontario section.
Old November 1st, 2019, 07:53 PM   #4253
fubo

Nice
Old November 1st, 2019, 07:54 PM   #4254
fubo

Quote:
You can do that in Sacramento too

But we donít have our electricity turned off for days at a time due to government and utility incompetence
Old November 2nd, 2019, 02:00 AM   #4255
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
But we donít have our electricity turned off for days at a time due to government and utility incompetence
That was El Dorado/Yolo/Placer counties to the north, east and west of the city. Sacramento County didn't get its power shutoff.

I agree though that it's incompetence on the part of PG&E, and also careless given the fact that there are people and facilities with urgent/medical needs in the Sac Valley area.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 03:21 AM   #4256
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Get this: Sacramento's light rail started in 1987, 3 years after Buffalo's started. It has 42 miles.

Buffalo's started in 1984. It has 6 miles.

How is that the case?

There are many lessons that Buffalo can learn from the successes of SacRT. They have 3 lines that run great and run concurrent downtown, above ground, and parallel on 2 different streets. Truly remarkable.

Meanwhile we can't even figure out how to build a new station at DL&W terminal.

Last edited by Buffaboy; November 2nd, 2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 04:22 PM   #4257
benp

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Get this: Sacramento's light rail started in 1987, 3 years after Buffalo's started. It has 42 miles.

Buffalo's started in 1984. It has 6 miles.

How is that the case?

There are many lessons that Buffalo can learn from the successes of SacRT. They have 3 lines that run great and run concurrent downtown, above ground, and parallel on 2 different streets. Truly remarkable.

Meanwhile we can't even figure out how to build a new station at DL&W terminal.
The answer should not be that difficult to figure out:

Sacramento is the state capital - Buffalo is not.
Sacramento metro area grew by 700,000 since 1987, Buffalo metro area did not.

Last edited by benp; November 2nd, 2019 at 04:27 PM.
benp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 05:33 PM   #4258
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
The answer should not be that difficult to figure out:

Sacramento is the state capital - Buffalo is not.
Sacramento metro area grew by 700,000 since 1987, Buffalo metro area did not.
But there's more. Traffic in Sacramento is awful. Voters have raised the sales tax to help fund transit something the Buffalo area hasn't done. That local funding helps win federal funds. The voters in Sac are all hoping others take the train so they can stay in their single-occupancy cars.

Buffaboy liked this post
ECoastTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 07:37 PM   #4259
Fprmer WNYer

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoastTransplant View Post
But there's more. Traffic in Sacramento is awful. Voters have raised the sales tax to help fund transit something the Buffalo area hasn't done. That local funding helps win federal funds. The voters in Sac are all hoping others take the train so they can stay in their single-occupancy cars.
But they just added a new tax on rental cars to help pay for emergency repairs on the Buffalo Light Rail System, Also the NFTA light rail cars are 33 years old and are so outdated, slow, antique and look like dinosaurs that already should have been replaced 3 times over like everywhere else, But it's Buffalo, They still have the oldest active & slowest fireboat in the world that's over 100 years old and they just poured another $20 million in it for repairs to keep it running, But Rochester just ordered a brand new faster & more powerful Fire Boat for a lot less then $20 Million

Last edited by Fprmer WNYer; November 2nd, 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Fprmer WNYer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 01:00 AM   #4260
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fprmer WNYer View Post
But they just added a new tax on rental cars to help pay for emergency repairs on the Buffalo Light Rail System, Also the NFTA light rail cars are 33 years old and are so outdated, slow, antique and look like dinosaurs that already should have been replaced 3 times over like everywhere else, But it's Buffalo, They still have the oldest active & slowest fireboat in the world that's over 100 years old and they just poured another $20 million in it for repairs to keep it running, But Rochester just ordered a brand new faster & more powerful Fire Boat for a lot less then $20 Million
To be fair, some of SacRT's cars look like the old NFTA interiors. I feel like they're similar models. Like I said above though, they make up for this by having lines that go far out. The Gold Line for instance goes from downtown Sacramento to Folsom, CA. That's like going from downtown Buffalo to East Aurora by Metro Rail.

I've only ridden on the Blue Line from Watt/I-80 to downtown and then to Broadway (that time by accident)

This area could have better transportation if it just extended out to Amherst/Crosspointe. There's so much incompetency and so little growth in the Buffalo area that there's almost no reason to expand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement