Timber Yard | Pershore Street | Residential/Retail | 14fl | 46m | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2018, 10:02 PM   #41
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17646

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUK86 View Post
This has been recommended for approval at next weeks meeting. Hopefully they can make a start this year.
I really hope so SMUK
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2018, 02:45 PM   #42
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14993

Deferred for a noise impact assesment despite the applicant stating all precautions were in place and the person(s) buying into it would be only too aware of the vibrancy of the area. Few not too keen - all women and new to the planning committee. Precedent was set with Broad Street some said, where residents had a choice to make about moving into properties next to nightspots.

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2018, 03:13 PM   #43
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 932

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post
Deferred for a noise impact assesment despite the applicant stating all precautions were in place and the person(s) buying into it would be only too aware of the vibrancy of the area. Few not too keen - all women and new to the planning committee. Precedent was set with Broad Street some said, where residents had a choice to make about moving into properties next to nightspots.

...I'd question how aware buyers/renters would be of just how 'vibrant' the Village Inn is at 5am...

The ongoing gentrification of this area has the potential to spell the end for the Gay Village as we know it.
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2018, 03:28 PM   #44
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalVernacular View Post
...I'd question how aware buyers/renters would be of just how 'vibrant' the Village Inn is at 5am...

The ongoing gentrification of this area has the potential to spell the end for the Gay Village as we know it.
Forgive me LV, I'm a bit out of touch with the youngsters nightspots thesedays, but could this be an opportunity?

By that I mean, if the area of Hurst St is becoming a gentrified and losing it's status/popularity as the Gay Quarter, could there be an opportunity for a new Gay Quarter and therefore the opportunity to spread the city and for a new area to flourish?

The Southside district certainly doesn't seem to be losing it's status as the Chinese (far east) Quarter. From what i see the range of restaurants, shops with a Far Eastern theme are expanding by the day.

As a city I think surely now we are capable of sustaining separate Gay and Chinese districts, and the need to share is no more.

It would only take a handful of popular venues to open, or to be relocated for the entire scene to shift surely. The Gun Quarter would be great, there for the taking with venues crying out for refurb and reopening. Or maybe just a shift further out to Highgate or south Digbeth, into the old factory/industrial units?
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2018, 03:49 PM   #45
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
Forgive me LV, I'm a bit out of touch with the youngsters nightspots thesedays, but could this be an opportunity?

By that I mean, if the area of Hurst St is becoming a gentrified and losing it's status/popularity as the Gay Quarter, could there be an opportunity for a new Gay Quarter and therefore the opportunity to spread the city and for a new area to flourish?

The Southside district certainly doesn't seem to be losing it's status as the Chinese (far east) Quarter. From what i see the range of restaurants, shops with a Far Eastern theme are expanding by the day.

As a city I think surely now we are capable of sustaining separate Gay and Chinese districts, and the need to share is no more.

It would only take a handful of popular venues to open, or to be relocated for the entire scene to shift surely. The Gun Quarter would be great, there for the taking with venues crying out for refurb and reopening. Or maybe just a shift further out to Highgate or south Digbeth, into the old factory/industrial units?
The Gay Village used to be centred at the top of Hurst Street, but the gentrification of that part of the street pushed the village south of Bromsgrove Street. Now lower Hurst Street is going the same way, the question is what will happen now? The village could start to move south of Sherlock Street, but no doubt this area will face gentrification also with Smithfield/Bradford street going residential one side and St Lukes on the other.

The problem is many of the Gay venues are noisy (unlike the Chinese shops and restaurants) and located in unsuitable venues (old pubs/shops) so they may simply vanish or have more limited opening hours.

Of course, developers could build basement venues, as on the continent but they'd rather petition to get Gay venues closed down instead.

BhamJim liked this post
Old June 21st, 2018, 04:06 PM   #46
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2709

Quote:

Once the agents of change principle is adopted it should stop existing venues closing because of noise complaints. I do agree that saying people will be aware of noise from existing venues before they move in is a poor argument in general.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

LocalVernacular liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2018, 04:21 PM   #47
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4815

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post

How strange? How do the residents of Crosby's Southside development of the noughties find it living there? Any complaints?

And what about all the residential that will be part of Smithfield? Will that cause the same concerns too?

All seems a bit silly to me.

Brum X liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2018, 10:49 PM   #48
Brum X

It is indeed very silly and barking back to the bad old days of people moaning becouse of the daytime raves happening at the Rainbow which i used to visit on a regular basis in my clubbing days. he he he

Missing Bar further up hurst streert is just as noisey as The Village, in fact this venue is worse as it is generally busy from Noon until after 2 am every day of the week unlike The Village which is more of a late night venue, but only for 2 days of the week.

Im sure this will still go ahead but its is just a silly delay for no reason. Again i repeat and repeat, if you dont want noise, DO NOT COME TO THE CITY CENTRE, BOG OFF
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 12:02 PM   #49
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4815

djay. seeing as you haven't crushed our complaints on this thread, does that mean you agree this is a ridiculous decision?
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 01:59 PM   #50
joeyoe121

Location: London and Dublin. Previously Bristol, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City
Likes (Received): 605

I'm not a property lawyer but can't they just throw in some caveat emptor or condition into the contracts about noise or whatever?!

Kingsheathen liked this post
joeyoe121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 03:30 PM   #51
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
djay. seeing as you haven't crushed our complaints on this thread, does that mean you agree this is a ridiculous decision?
I'm not 100% up to date on this site, my knowledge is based on what is in this thread. On the face of it, if the application was deferred for a noise assessment it is the same scenario as 1000 Trades.

The same point i made about 100 trades applies, that if new residents complain about noise then it is the business that will suffer either financially, through retrofitting protection, or being forced to close/move. It is silly to suggest that if people move to the city centre then they should expect to be woken up during the night considering the noise and its impacts are health issues. Part of that is true to a point however... for example, you cannot expect to have a garden which has no noise but you can walk to a park fairly easily for a similar experience. You can't trade a louder environment when you need to sleep in your home though. And if you are in a lviving room enjoying your fav soap opera, its not very easy to suddenly go and watch it in a quieter place.

I assume though, for the developer to have said there is no noise issue, they must have done the work and have the evidence to support the claim. Why they didn't submit this with the application is any ones guess.

If they have the evidence and Environmental Protection have not objected to the way the evidence was put together then I would agree it is ridiculous but without the knowledge of these points I can't really comment on the decision other to say that it seems odd.

LocalVernacular liked this post

Last edited by djay; June 22nd, 2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 05:16 PM   #52
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
It is indeed very silly and barking back to the bad old days of people moaning becouse of the daytime raves happening at the Rainbow which i used to visit on a regular basis in my clubbing days. he he he

Missing Bar further up hurst streert is just as noisey as The Village, in fact this venue is worse as it is generally busy from Noon until after 2 am every day of the week unlike The Village which is more of a late night venue, but only for 2 days of the week.

Im sure this will still go ahead but its is just a silly delay for no reason. Again i repeat and repeat, if you dont want noise, DO NOT COME TO THE CITY CENTRE, BOG OFF
Could you live without sleep BrumX ?

This is about finding the right balance. You can't live in the city and expect peace and quiet (and i don't think anyone does), but at the same time, people and venues cannot make as much noise as they like, whenever they like when this has a direct impact on the health and well-being of others.

You're right that Missing is noisy also and they have had to make changes to how they operate to live in harmony with the residents of Southside. Missing closes at 4am whilst The Village is open till 8am at the weekend. The Nightingale also presents a noise issue to this development.

This is ultimately about protecting the venues - which I thought is what people on this forum wanted? If the apartments get built and the residents complain then it is the venues that will suffer.

BhamJim, rotundazag liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:06 AM   #53
Brum X

Quote:
Could you live without sleep BrumX ?

This is about finding the right balance. You can't live in the city and expect peace and quiet (and i don't think anyone does), but at the same time, people and venues cannot make as much noise as they like, whenever they like when this has a direct impact on the health and well-being of others.

You're right that Missing is noisy also and they have had to make changes to how they operate to live in harmony with the residents of Southside. Missing closes at 4am whilst The Village is open till 8am at the weekend. The Nightingale also presents a noise issue to this development.

This is ultimately about protecting the venues - which I thought is what people on this forum wanted? If the apartments get built and the residents complain then it is the venues that will suffer.
Just for the record i live in the city centre opposite that noisy Irish fun bar Henneseys in Digbeth and i live here becouse i love the hussle and bussle of the city. At the moment as it is summer i have windows open at night and most nights i hear shouting outside and music thumping under my floor boards and it wakes me up, however i then get up and close my windows if its too bad.

I also live on a road with a police station, not a operational police station that you can walk into, however this operation is busy at the best of times. Im woken up more by police cars speeding off down Allison street with all the blue lights flashing than i am with drunken revellers coming out of Henneseys at 3am in the morning. So what next do i complain to the city council to have the police station closed down, of course i dont. I knew the police station was here, i knew bars and pubs were nearby, i did my research which is what people should do.

Timber yard is to be built in Southside , just like all the other developments that are planned for southside. So are these backward thinking city councillors going to refuse that other new development that PerpetualBrum told us about last week which sits directly opposite The GALE, is so then to all these developers who wanna make this area more appealing dont bother and dont waste your time. Id put your money up in Manchester where they have a gay quarter which is more vibrant and much more appealing and much more world famous than ours will ever be becouse the whole area intergrates with each other. Its not just a few gay bars, but bars and restaurants, shops, cafes, fast food places, loads of residential, hotels.

People live in the Manchester gay quarter becouse they want noise and vibrancy. They dont have to live there, they could live anywhere in Manchester city centre.

Its quite simple as far as im concerned.

And also whilst im writing this, there is also another residential tower planned opposite to Chic Nightclub which closes at 8am at weekends. Is this project doomed as well becouse we are so rubbish at developing our city to be fit for the 2020s and beyond. Sometimes Birmingham feels more like a city similar to Portsmouth or Coventry than the second biggest city in britain with this kind of attitude. Oh i forgot this project was approved,Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Can somebody tell me why this project was approved with a noisy nightclub opposite ?

Brum X feels very passionate about this subject

GregglesUK, Kingsheathen, RalphGuy liked this post

Last edited by Brum X; June 23rd, 2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:22 AM   #54
Brum X

So i really hope BCC are prepared to inject some cash and make this ugly looking car park into a green oasis of calm with lots of grass, trees, water fountains and benches for the Birmingham gay village to enjoy if any kind of residential is to be banned.

Of course they wont, they will be happy for a company to keep operating an ugly car park right in the middle of our gay village. F-cking great and that is called a "Progressive city"

Kingsheathen liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:38 AM   #55
djay
The promised land

Tried to do some digging on this. it seems that the Councillors or environmental protection or planners (not sure which) werenít convinced by the noise assessment submitted with the application. As such, they have asked for more work to be done. I understand the work is an independent review of the noise assessment so the initial post about this was slightly misleading.

How much of this is true I donít know but itís from a good source who knows the team working on it.

Brum X I think you are ignoring or missing the point. This seems to be about protecting the existing businesses. Itís not about whether you decide you want to live in noisey environment. The council donít care if you have a choice because the law allows the resident to force the business to close if a complaint is made. Is this law correct or out of touch? Probably the latter. But until itís changed the City Council appears to make the correct choices where itís not demonstrated.

Last edited by djay; June 23rd, 2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:39 AM   #56
Brum X

Approved development directly in front of a nightclub and near to a 24 hour snooker club

Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:42 AM   #57
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Tried to do some digging on this. it seems that the Councillors or environmental protection or planners (not sure which) werenít convinced by the noise assessment submitted with the application. As such, they have asked for more work to be done. I understand the work is an independent review of the noise assessment so the initial post about this was slightly misleading.

How much of this is true I donít know but itís from a good source who knows the team working on it.
Well lets hope common sense prevails on this one djay. I really hope it does.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:49 AM   #58
djay
The promised land

Brum x just because it’s in front of the club doesn’t mean the noise climate is the same.

A residential development in front of one club can be totally acceptable where as another right next to it might not simple because of the height or placement of windows.

Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:59 AM   #59
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Brum x just because itís in front of the club doesnít mean the noise climate is the same.

A residential development in front of one club can be totally acceptable where as another right next to it might not simple because of the height or placement of windows.
I am aware of this, just making the point that residential and a vibrant area can co-exist and be a success.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 01:06 AM   #60
djay
The promised land

We all know that though. It’s the reason for this specific site that is being examined. Tesco can take the deliveries next to some homes all the way through the night. That doesn’t mean it’s always acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement