Wingbar | Off-Topic Discussions - Page 203 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Buffalo / Niagara Falls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2018, 04:38 PM   #4041
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2407

Why is Saratoga County growing fast?

Why is Austin so special? 24% growth rate to go live on a desert prairie?

Interesting how 9/10 of the fastest growing metros are southern cities. Probably has more to do with the weather and jobs than politics (Seattle is at 12 and that's a left leaning metro).

The legacy metros start st slide 27, where we have MSP, another city that did things right 50 years ago to prevent its collapse.

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...opolitan.html#

Last edited by Buffaboy; March 22nd, 2018 at 04:53 PM.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2018, 04:50 PM   #4042
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5370

Austin is becoming a tech hub. It's been that way for the last 5-10 years. Austin is following Las Vegas as the newest major metro area in the United States.

Buffaboy liked this post
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 04:54 PM   #4043
fubo

Likes (Received): 1076

That's since 2010. The one year 2016-2017 change was an increase of 1,996 for the metro and 2,412 for the County.

Erie County natural growth (# born less #died) was only 2,369 since 2010 for Monroe County it was 12,994. But Monroe had negative domestic migration last year of 4,168 compared to Erie's negative 1,769. Erie s negative domestic net migration was more than offset by international immigration while Monroe's was not.

The too 10 biggest county population declines included: Baltimore, Cook (Chicago), Cuyahoga (Cleveland), St Louis, Allegheny (Pittsburgh), Milwaukee, and Wayne (Detroit)
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2018, 05:09 PM   #4044
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

One thing that feels irritating to me is seeing senior assisted housing go up all over the place, instead of mixed senior and regular housing. They just cleared land for one on SWern Blvd in Hamburg. Gates Circle is anchored by Canterbury Woods.

It's nothing against older people, I have parents looking to retire soon. It's just that it's a physical signal that the area is not ready to or is incapable of catering to the millennial generation and would rather make it a haven for baby boomers, even though many prefer to go down south anyways.

I could be dead wrong in saying that we're becoming inundated with these types of communities. But it sure feels like it.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 05:31 PM   #4045
fubo

Yes, you are dead wrong. Building senior only housing does nothing to dissuade Millennials. If you don't believe me just go nose around Phoenix for a week or two.

mikmo323 liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 10:25 PM   #4046
fubo

More good Metro Buffalo news.

The February employment report for the Buffalo-Niagara Falls metropolitan area was positive nearly across the board, according to preliminary figures from the state Department of Labor.

Private-sector job growth amounted to an increase of 1.4 percent, compared to a year ago. And virtually all industry sectors — from finance to services to manufacturing — reported gains in the past year.

Nonfarm employment in the Buffalo market, including the public sector, rose by 6,900...
...Rochester added 2,600 private jobs, or 0.6 percent, while Syracuse employment was flat in the past year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...492&j=80637901
Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:44 AM   #4047
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
... signal that the area is not ready to or is incapable of catering to the millennial generation
Look at it this way - all the new senior housing is freeing up 'regular' housing for younger generations to move into. We have tons of starter homes built in the '50s and '60's that are perfect for first-time buyers. We don't really need new developments for that.
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 11:50 PM   #4048
sir andrew

Likes (Received): 64

[QUOTE=Buffaboy;146578393]Why is Saratoga County growing fast?

Saratoga County is the hub of tech valley. People are moving in by the truckload. I moved from there to Buffalo 10 years ago and I barely even recognize it anymore. Also, people from the city are slowly migrating northward. Seems this was a case of government tax breaks that went right. Global Foundries tax breaks are up next year, I believe. I wonder what's going to happen.

Buffaboy liked this post
sir andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 09:48 PM   #4049
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
Look at it this way - all the new senior housing is freeing up 'regular' housing for younger generations to move into. We have tons of starter homes built in the '50s and '60's that are perfect for first-time buyers. We don't really need new developments for that.
I was told that NYS eats up pensions upon retirement...not sure why seniors would want to stay back anyways.
Old March 24th, 2018, 10:53 PM   #4050
fubo

If you are in any of the NY State pension systems which cover all State, municipal and school employees, your pension benefits are NY State income tax exempt. Other private pensions are treated no differently by NY State than they are by any other state that has an income tax. There is no extra gouging of private pensions under the provisions of the NY State tax codes
Old March 25th, 2018, 05:59 AM   #4051
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

I guess that makes sense.

----

I have a controversial opinion on Main St. I have come to the conclusion that making it a 2 or 3 lane motorway is a fruitless idea. Not only are most of the avenues in NYC/Boston/Chicago one way, they also don't have cycle tracks or gigantic sidewalks to accomodate peds/bikes. I'm not saying that there should be these facilities, because the lighter streets in these cities do have cycle tracks/wider sidewalks. I'm saying that the main thoroughfare should stay as 6 lanes as it is now. My opinion isn't scientific or fact based, I just think it's more efficient and urban.

Fifth Avenue, NYC

Congress Street, Boston

Congress Pkwy, Chicago

Old March 25th, 2018, 07:07 AM   #4052
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 843

In Buffalo's case, Main Street is the only street that has the Metro/Subway line, so it makes sense for Main St to be made more pedestrian & bicycle friendly so that it takes full advantage of that metro option, and not just cater solely to the automobile.

Besides, we already have wide, fast, efficient route to get downtown that 100% restricted to only cars: The Kensington Expressway (33).

fubo, geogregor liked this post
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 03:02 PM   #4053
mikmo323

Likes (Received): 282

Wingbar | Off-Topic Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I guess that makes sense.

----

I have a controversial opinion on Main St. I have come to the conclusion that making it a 2 or 3 lane motorway is a fruitless idea. Not only are most of the avenues in NYC/Boston/Chicago one way, they also don't have cycle tracks or gigantic sidewalks to accomodate peds/bikes. I'm not saying that there should be these facilities, because the lighter streets in these cities do have cycle tracks/wider sidewalks. I'm saying that the main thoroughfare should stay as 6 lanes as it is now. My opinion isn't scientific or fact based, I just think it's more efficient and urban.

Fifth Avenue, NYC

Congress Street, Boston

Congress Pkwy, Chicago

You gotta stop comparing buffalo to 3 of largest urban cities in the US... there’s no comparison... if you walk down those streets there’s more people and businesses on that one street then probably all of downtown...

If you wanna make a comparison to Detroit Pittsburg or Cleveland

Last edited by mikmo323; March 25th, 2018 at 03:24 PM.
mikmo323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 09:44 PM   #4054
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmo323 View Post
You gotta stop comparing buffalo to 3 of largest urban cities in the US... there’s no comparison... if you walk down those streets there’s more people and businesses on that one street then probably all of downtown...

If you wanna make a comparison to Detroit Pittsburg or Cleveland
Not even Detroit, it's too big and too run down

mikmo323 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2018, 08:38 PM   #4055
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Frontier flies high from Buffalo; may add more routes

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...-add-more.html

The article says that these are seasonal routes, yet passenger count is "way above average." If that's the case, why can't they make the destinations year round?
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:07 PM   #4056
fubo

They only have so many planes so they deploy them where they can make the most profit with them

Buffaboy liked this post
Old April 12th, 2018, 04:24 PM   #4057
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Do you think the City Data Buffalo forum has more members than we do, that discuss development and construction news? It just crossed my mind as I went by there for the first time in months. I would doubt it.
Old April 12th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #4058
fubo

Never heard of it.
Old April 19th, 2018, 05:48 PM   #4059
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5370

I've asked similar questions before, but I'm curious what everyone's responses to these questions would be. I'm always interested in trying new places when I'm up in the area, and since I have few/no friends up in the area, and since I don't actually live there and have never lived there, I don't have a chance to experience the area like someone who lives there right now. Anyway, here are my questions:

~ What's your favorite bar in the City of Buffalo?
~ What's your favorite bar in western New York outside of the City of Buffalo?
~ What's your favorite bar in southern Ontario?
~ What's the most unique bar in the area, on either side of the border?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 06:23 PM   #4060
downtownstny

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I've asked similar questions before, but I'm curious what everyone's responses to these questions would be. I'm always interested in trying new places when I'm up in the area, and since I have few/no friends up in the area, and since I don't actually live there and have never lived there, I don't have a chance to experience the area like someone who lives there right now. Anyway, here are my questions:

~ What's your favorite bar in the City of Buffalo?
~ What's your favorite bar in western New York outside of the City of Buffalo?
~ What's your favorite bar in southern Ontario?
~ What's the most unique bar in the area, on either side of the border?
I'm a Niagara County resident, but my favorite bar in the city is probably Ulrich's since I'm down at the medical campus frequently. My favorite WNY bar is the Griffin Pub in NF or The Brickyard in Lewiston (When they're not crowded). My favorite bar in Southern Ontario is definitely the Olde Angel Inn in Niagara-on-the-Lake. I'm not a big bar guy, but it's hard to feel like any bar is unique anymore. The uniqueness is the people and your comfort level--that's what a bar is for, in my opinion. The one I frequent the most, The Blue Bull in Amherst is just a strip mall bar, but it's easy for me and my friends to meet up at and watch baseball, and therefore we like it. But it's a pretty non-descript otherwise.
downtownstny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement