NEWCASTLE HELIX (previously Science City / Science Central) | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 17 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #321
Stamford

Likes (Received): 684

Considering 1C is the only one with "Under Construction" on the interactive map............ and the Info button leads to the picture we're all talking about then I'm not really sure why there's any arguments

I'll get my coat

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Steve Ellwood liked this post
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #322
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

I never thought this development would happen, but it seems to be looking more likely by the day. I have also heard rumours of wholesale transfers of entire University departments away from the University campus to Science Central in the near future, I believe one department is already consulting on a new building. This is in addition to what had just been announced.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #323
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

That's fair enough but it misses the entire original point of the development proposal. So really it is "never happening".
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #324
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
That's fair enough but it misses the entire original point of the development proposal. So really it is "never happening".
I'm sure though that it would only be one or two of the buildings though. Universities are the leading researchers in Science, especially medical science. The only other researchers out there are really government run research industries, pharmaceutical companies, pharmaceutical companies still work heavily with universities though and their own research facilities are few and far between.

Has Science city in Newcastle ever narrowed down which Sciences they hope to attract? With Newcastle university being a world leader in medical science I think it was always heavily going to lean towards that side.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #325
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 203

This development is crying out for a skyscraper. I'm willing to chip in a tenner if anyone is willing to build one. If there is a skyscraper allowed anywhere in the city, it is here.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #326
Andym

Likes (Received): 475

Newcastle university is not world class in medical research. It ranks 7th in the UK and isn't in the top 50 internationally-the chronicle might report it but its way out of Duke, John Hopkins and oxfords class. It does have some pockets of really good research in specific areas but suffers like most of the UK medical research from under investment. The UK used to beat most of Europe hands down but now Belgian,French,German research is stronger and in my field we are about the level of Denmark or Austria. There are great ideas and talent in the UK and Newcastle but sadly the most talented sometimes have to go abroad.
Andym está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #327
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
Newcastle university is not world class in medical research. It ranks 7th in the UK and isn't in the top 50 internationally-the chronicle might report it but its way out of Duke, John Hopkins and oxfords class. It does have some pockets of really good research in specific areas but suffers like most of the UK medical research from under investment. The UK used to beat most of Europe hands down but now Belgian,French,German research is stronger and in my field we are about the level of Denmark or Austria. There are great ideas and talent in the UK and Newcastle but sadly the most talented sometimes have to go abroad.
Exactly why science city is so bloody critical to Newcastle and the North East. We can only build so much, india, brazil, china will beat us hands down. But we do have a head start in the knowledge economy, but we are letting that slide now.

I feel the region has so much ambition and potential but it lacks attention from the deep dark policy making south. If only the city council and university commisioned some visionary, landmark proposals would attention be given, but with only a few mediocre proposals science city is going to go the way of the baltic business centre
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #328
Andym

Likes (Received): 475

I agree with that-something radical is needed to stimulate a leap forward.
Andym está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #329
cranfan

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
I have also heard rumours of wholesale transfers of entire University departments away from the University campus to Science Central in the near future, I believe one department is already consulting on a new building.
"So, what first attracted you to a new building next to Shark Club?"
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #330
No Opinion

QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
I agree with that-something radical is needed to stimulate a leap forward.
Something perhaps like this?

tameracingdriver liked this post
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #331
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 203

Love it.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:17 PM   #332
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4134

Pitt Street, Newcastle - demolition of 5 storey blocks of flats now complete and clearance in progress, 01/04/13

Follow up to post #301 of 25/03/13

Thompsons of Prudhoe are now in process of consolidating debris/clearing the site area following the demolition of the 5 storey blocks of Pitt St

These pictures taken by myself Easter Monday 01/04/13 approx 1030 (hosted on Photobucket)

Also posted in "Student Accommodation" thread

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #333
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 585

An area of the site opposite the soup kitchen has been fenced off from the rest of the open-cast mine. Could be preparations for construction of the previously mentioned building.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #334
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 585

More coal!

image hosted on flickr

coalmine april 19a by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

coalmine april 19b by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Not sure what's going on here. The signs up are for 'Shepherd'. Are they involved with the Downing development or is this something separate?

image hosted on flickr

corner site apr 2013 by the pointless parasite, on Flickr
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #335
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

That is site preparation work for St James' Point on the site of the former Magpie Club.

More student flats!

Document from NCC on work to be done http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...RKS-406015.pdf
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #336
No Opinion

With all the coal they are digging out why didnt they use it to build a huge underground car park to give a massive boost to the retail of the town?
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #337
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
With all the coal they are digging out why didnt they use it to build a huge underground car park to give a massive boost to the retail of the town?
Bloody brilliant suggestion that. A key reason the quayside was so attractive to businesses during the redevelopment was the availability of car parking. Opportunity about to be missed though I suspect.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #338
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post

That is site preparation work for St James' Point on the site of the former Magpie Club.

More student flats!

Document from NCC on work to be done http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...RKS-406015.pdf

Is that TWO different developments near St James' Park, with the same name of "St James' Point" (?) . . .

St James' Point | Newcastle | 7fl | Approved
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981880
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #339
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

St James' Point x 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Is that TWO different developments near St James' Park, with the same name of "St James' Point" (?) . . .

St James' Point | Newcastle | 7fl | Approved
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981880
Yes it is!

All this has been covered elsewhere on this Forum but not sure which thread as various threads/topics get interwoven!

Will have to see what the eventual name is but looks like this block is definitely going up on Pitt Street.

We nearly needed a new thread for Pitt Street itself as there has been so much going on there!
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #340
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Yes it is!

All this has been covered elsewhere on this Forum but not sure which thread as various threads/topics get interwoven!

Will have to see what the eventual name is but looks like this block is definitely going up on Pitt Street.

We nearly needed a new thread for Pitt Street itself as there has been so much going on there!
Yes quite confusing having two developments carrying the same name but as the one on the former Magpie Pub site will be built first then I assume it will 'win the race' to keep the moniker.

Perhaps even MORE confusing when images keep being added to the Science City Project Thread when its got zilch to do with that Project!

Certainly no movement on the 'other' St James' Point site on the corner of Strawberry Place & St James’ Street. That is the one which currently has its own thread.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; April 23rd, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, medical research, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, research, science, science research, scientific research