Public Transport - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old December 21st, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 1

Public Transport

Got to thinking that maybe with so many different projects and options happening in the Auckland Transport Discussion thread, it was making me dizzy. Thought we could streamline things a bit by setting up 2 threads - one to stick to initiatives that support the use of PRIVATE TRANSPORTATION eg motor cars, trucks, bicycles, inline skates, walking, and (this) PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION eg ferries, buses, and rail.

So to start...

ONTRACK schedules post-Christmas work on Parnell tunnel

ONTRACK has scheduled work in the Parnell tunnel between Christmas and New Year to improve drainage and renew track, Chief Operating Officer William Peet confirmed today.

The work will extend from Boxing Day through to New Year's Eve.

'We have significant drainage problems in the tunnel at the moment,' said Mr Peet. It makes sense to take advantage of the post-Christmas shut-down of commuter services to enable work to progress. Currently there is a speed restriction through the tunnel. Once the work is completed the trains can return to normal line speed.

'We'll be working inside the tunnel around the clock. Residents in properties near, or with a view of the tunnel, will notice considerable activity and lights at night over the five days as we move materials in and out.'

The work will be carried out by contractors who have successfully done similar work for us this year in the Manawatu tunnels and at Port Chalmers.

'There may be some noise from the work site,' said Mr Peet. 'We apologise for that, but doing it during the post-Christmas commuter train shut-down will enable us to get the work done as quickly as possible without affecting passenger services.'

The Parnell tunnel is almost 350 metres long and is on the line that links Newmarket with Britomart.
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2006, 01:01 AM   #2
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Western Line Duplication Update

Work on the Western line duplication is moving ahead, with a first section of new double tracking already commissioned and ONTRACK about to begin work on a further five kilometre section of the track.

ONTRACK has been working on duplication of around 7.3 km of track between New Lynn and Henderson since the beginning of this year, and is about to extend its activities to include the section from Henderson to Swanson.

Almost 2kms of new track was commissioned and the new Henderson Station brought into use in late October. The new section of double tracking runs from Bruce McLaren Rd to just north of Mt Lebanon Lane.

ONTRACK also built the new island platform at Henderson Station, and a new rail bridge across Henderson Valley Road. The bridge has been built to accommodate the second track and allow higher vehicles to pass underneath.

Sunnyvale Station

There will be considerable construction activity at Sunnyvale Station over the next few months, where new platforms and pedestrian access-ways are being built to accommodate the second track. The new platforms will be upgraded by the Auckland Regional Transport Authority (ARTA) to include facilities for train users including shelters, lighting, and customer information.
Commuters will begin using the first of two new platforms at Sunnyvale Station from Monday December 4th for services in both directions while the second platform is built.

Access to the new platform will be via Seymour Rd.

A new pedestrian bridge across Oratia Stream will be opened later in December, giving improved access to the station from McLaren Park. The first of two new rail bridges across the stream will also be brought into use. The second platform will come into use when the second track is commissioned in 2007.

Other Construction Activities
• Now that both tracks are in place through Henderson Station, construction of the new island platform will be completed and the old platforms and shelters will be demolished.
• At Glen Eden Station work has begun on the second platform, opposite the existing platform and a new pedestrian over-bridge which will link Brandon Rd to the station.
• New retaining walls and structures to protect the bridge piers are being built at the West Coast Rd bridge. It is unlikely there will be any impact on motorists or pedestrians using this bridge during construction.
• As part of the duplication project the Fruitvale Rd Station is being moved to the other side of Fruitvale Rd next to Mason Park, where there is more room to accommodate the second platform. Work has begun on the first of the new platforms.

Old December 21st, 2006, 01:57 AM   #3
Saljen

Likes (Received): 0

I have always thought that Auckland could use a subway and this trenching at New Lynn and people talking about electrification have got my hopes up. But I was never sure of the practicalities of it.

So I looked around for a few costs of overseas subways just to check it out and see if it was possible.

Vienna, Austria. Subway extension 14km of subway. Total price.. NZ$ 2.3 Billion

Baltimore, USA,. Subway extension 11.5km underground, 3 km elevated, 10.5km at grade. Total 25km of rapid rail. Total price.. NZ$ 2 Billion

Toronto, Canada. Subway extension 5.5km of subway. Total price .NZ$ 1.2 Billion

Auckland, New Zealand. Motorway extension from western to Onehunga. Total estimated price 1 billion.

I thought an underground right down the centre of Auckland from Britomart to Onehunga, next to mangere bridge, would be good and thats only 8 kms dead straight. So I think it would be possible in terms of cost for Auckland to do that. Carry the train over the Mangere bridge and then overland out to the airport. And link Britomart Newmarket and maybe a few stops along the way, only 2 or 3, and a city Airport rail link would be very popular.

There could be a stop in Onehunga town centre to revitalize that area while missing the green leafy suburbs like Epsom further up to stop unwanted development in those nice areas. One stop at around Royal Oak roundabout, and then an express through to Newmarket. Basically I mean going straight down MAnukau road.

People living in Onehunga, Royal Oak and surrounding areas could take the subway to work in the city while airport passengers leaving could take it out to the airport. From experience on subways, Onehunga to Britomart with about 5 stops along the way would be no more than 20minutes, probably much closer to 15. 15 minutes from Onehunga to the city without the hassle of parking would surely cut traffic going up through manukau, Mt Eden, and Great South roads. Even the motorway.

Then link the southern line with Onehunga station. I think there already is a line although its not used, and create a new line from Onehunga to the western line around New Lynn somewhere and you can have a circular train going around Auckland. Britomart, down the western then turning to Onehunga then over to the southern line and back up to Britomart. And the other way, add that to an AIrport express that will ease traffic going over the mangere bridge, (which is always clogged during rush hour) and Bobs your uncle.

By the way just for a distance comparison with the other cities above that have put in subways, Britomart to Manukau city is 18kms along the motorway route..Just so you can get an idea of how far those subway extensions would go in Auckland.

Also, here is a map about the proposed inner city ring in Auckland and the route it takes. There are two stops. one at wellesly street and one at Karangahape Road. This would mean that most of the city would be close to a train station. This new loop would then hook up to Mt Eden station. Estimated cost = 500 million. But it hasnt been on the cards for a while. But I am hoping with this new Auckland Metro project released recently they might bring it foward. This is a pretty good time to be interested in developing Auckland, so much is happening.

Last edited by Saljen; December 21st, 2006 at 02:10 AM.
Saljen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2006, 02:19 AM   #4
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

I too cannot wait for the day this is running. Your "subway" under Manukau rd is similar in concept to my own proposal. It needs to connect at Mt Eden to the Inner City tunnel, then route off to Manukau/Greenlane Intersection (additional station) and continue on your route.

Definitely transit the airport and continue on to join the Wiri-Manukau spur.

Ultimately extended rail from Manukau through Botany, Pakuranga, across the Tamaki River, through to Glen Innes(or maybe Panmure) thus connecting all the lines.
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:25 AM   #5
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 1430

The Inner City underground rail loop and electrification of the whole network really needs to be put to the front of the Governmnets agenda for transport projects in Auckland.
There could be a possibility of an underground station being inculded in the Aotea carpark redevelopment, i know hubbard looked into it last year?

Tāmaki Makaurau
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:31 AM   #6
aucklandman
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_higher View Post
The Inner City underground rail loop and electrification of the whole network really needs to be put to the front of the Governmnets agenda for transport projects in Auckland.
There could be a possibility of an underground station being inculded in the Aotea carpark redevelopment, i know hubbard looked into it last year?
Yea it should be on top of their politcal shit cos it needs to be done, and its proved that it gets used.

I reckon, some people may disagree but Transit should get involved with Rail as they have with busways etc. It would make communication better with the government and putting rail in.

Auckland Motorways: www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz | www.traffic.aucklandmotorways.co.nz
aucklandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:03 AM   #7
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Apart from the current $2.3milliard cash surplus the government is sitting on, there is that $500-700 million they had earmarked for the failed National waterfront stadium. The signs are starting to come together that they may indeed be willing to fork out for electrification and inner city loop.

Lets see: Cullen and Co were originally against the trenching of the New Lynn rail but as we've seen this week those armed with logic and rational business sense have changed their minds.

Surely Dicky and Lee can gather this team together again for another assault on the citadel of Wellington!
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM   #8
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
I too cannot wait for the day this is running. Your "subway" under Manukau rd is similar in concept to my own proposal. It needs to connect at Mt Eden to the Inner City tunnel, then route off to Manukau/Greenlane Intersection (additional station) and continue on your route.

Definitely transit the airport and continue on to join the Wiri-Manukau spur.

Ultimately extended rail from Manukau through Botany, Pakuranga, across the Tamaki River, through to Glen Innes(or maybe Panmure) thus connecting all the lines.
I reckon it would be beter to run the underground from Newmarket to Onehunga than from Mt Eden. If you run it from Mt Eden then you will bypass what is probably the most important rail interchange after Britomart (and future Wellesley station)
I would continue the line south along the South Western Mwy to Manukau providing an express route between Manukau and the CBD (also taking alot of pressure off the main trunk line).

2035 anyone?

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; December 21st, 2006 at 03:54 PM.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:38 AM   #9
Saljen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I reckon it would be beter to run the underground from Newmarket to Onehunga than from Mt Eden. If you run it from Mt Eden then you will bypass what is probably the most important rail interchange after Britomart (and future Wellesley station)
I would continue the line south along the South Western Mwy to Manukau providing an express route between Manukau and the CBD (also taking alot of pressure off the main trunk line).

2035 anyone?

Just add an extra link over to Pakuranga there and that will be perfect. Oh whoops, you have, didnt see that the first time. Although I think the subway should stay clear of green leafy old suburbs like Remuera, Epsom, Mt Eden etc.

I know a lot of people live there but if a subway was put close then greedy developers (like I want to be) will come in and knock down beautiful old character homes (that could be simply cleaned up) and build god awful apartment buildings in an area that doesnt suit that type of development. You would have to have either extremely strong development regulations or just steer clear of those areas all together.

I would rather those suburbs be serviced by buses and trams, or something like that, keeping in character with the area. Imagine the old Auckland trams going up and down Remuera and Mt Eden again (with a new system from France that doesnt require overhead lines.)Heres an old one of trams outside the britomart.

So, the subway could be a great development tool for areas we want to develop. Maybe its just me but Ive always thought Onehunga had great potential being on the waterfront looking west to the cliffs at Lynfield and Titirangi. I always thought that was a great view, ruined by an ugly NZ style l"Lets make it all from concrete!" approach to bridge building.

A place like Onehunga could be greatly helped by a subway. Hotels would spring up because of its proximity to the "airport line" and the fact that its only 15 minutes from Downtown Auckland. OK, so it has a lot of industrial factories and trucks but not on the western side. And I think development would see factories sold off and companies moved eastwards towards Southdown. I am always intersted in development in the Onehunga area.

Anyway, you see my point. Put the subway in areas you want to develop and keep it away from the beautiful old suburbs.

Also, just thinking about this subway stuff.....Londons underground is well over 100 years old and so is Paris' metro. It may cost a lot initially to build but these things last for a long long time. 3 billion or so spread out over 100 years is only 30 million a year.

Last edited by Saljen; December 22nd, 2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:25 AM   #10
Sister Ray
Just like Sister Ray said

Likes (Received): 602

I think you guys are a bit optimistic with your dreams of an Auckland subway system. Subways are expensive and rely on far greater population densities than Auckland can muster. Seoul's subway has many times more passenger's each day than Auckland's entire population and it still loses money hand over fist. This is VERY expensive infrastructure. didn't you guys ever play sim city? Subways cost a bomb

It'd be nice though. I much prefer subway to bus due to the lack of traffic.
Sister Ray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Saljen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
I think you guys are a bit optimistic with your dreams of an Auckland subway system. Subways are expensive and rely on far greater population densities than Auckland can muster. Seoul's subway has many times more passenger's each day than Auckland's entire population and it still loses money hand over fist. This is VERY expensive infrastructure. didn't you guys ever play sim city? Subways cost a bomb

It'd be nice though. I much prefer subway to bus due to the lack of traffic.
There is no call for that sort of rationalism and practicality here. I think we originally started talking about a city to Airport train link (which would be well populated by every new arrival in Auckland and every departing passenger) and then hook it up with existing overland lines in the west and east. The only underground bit was from newmarket to onehunga. Cause the residents would go crazy otherwise. Then got a bit carried away.

WHich part of Seoul are you in?. Im in Seoul as well doing the old pay off your student loan bit. Live in Nakseongdae and work in Gangnam.
Old December 26th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #12
GoluBoy
TrendSetter

Likes (Received): 3

If I was Auckland Road Transport Manager I'd bring in operation "Coolness" and build bridges like this.
GoluBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #13
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

No.

Tāmaki Makaurau
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #14
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 289

lol, Todd with the laying of the law.
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM   #15
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Not much happened on the public transport front over Christmas, but things are starting to pick up again.

Project DART (from Ontrack) update...

Western Line Duplication

A further five kilometres of track from Henderson to Swanson is now under construction as part of the Western Line Duplication Project.

Work on this section, DART 8, is primarily double tracking but includes the redevelopment of Sturges Rd, Ranui and Swanson Stations and modifications at the at Metcalfe Rd, O’Neil’s Rd and Christian Rd level crossings to accommodate the double track.

A 70m long concrete bridge will be built to the north of the existing bridge over Candia Rd (North) to carry the second track.

Site preparation has already begun in the Sturges Rd area where a considerable amount of earthworks is needed for retaining walls, drainage and building the track formation.

Construction machinery, similar to that used at the Henderson station works, is being used and there will be noise, dust and vibrations while the work is carried out. ONTRACK acknowledges that this will cause some disruption to local residents and businesses and asks for their patience while this important project is carried out.

The Sturges Rd concrete road bridge will be demolished and replaced with a new bridge which will allow room for the double rail track beneath. This will be managed by Waitakere City Council.

Sturges Rd, Ranui and Swanson stations will all have their platforms rebuilt or extended and second platforms built. Pedestrian overbridges will be built at all stations to allow improved and safer access to the stations and across the duplicated tracks.

The Auckland Regional Transport Authority (ARTA) will provide ‘above rail’ station facilities such as waiting shelters, CCTV and station lighting at each of the redeveloped stations.

The first of two new platforms being built at a relocated Fruitvale Rd Station came into use from January 8th for services in both directions. The station has been moved to the other side of Fruitvale Rd next to Mason Park, where there is more room to accommodate a second platform. Access to the new platform will be from Fruitvale Rd Commuters using Glen Eden Station also began using a new platform, opposite the existing platform for services in both directions from 8 January 2007. Access to this is via Glenview Rd. Work is also underway on a new pedestrian over-bridge which will link Brandon Rd to the station and West Coast Rd. The existing platform will be extended and refurbished.

The second platform at both stations will come into use when the second track is commissioned in 2007.

Now the new platform is operational at Sunnyvale Station, work is underway demolishing and rebuilding the original platform and building a second bridge across the Oratia Stream just north of the station to accommodate the second track. A new access-way from Heremai St to the station is
being completed.

Other construction activities
• Our workers were busy with major earthworks along the rail corridor between Fruitvale and Sunnyvale stations over the two week New Year shutdown. This included building a substantial embankment just north of Fruitvale Station,
constructing track formation and installing drainage between Glen Eden and Sunnyvale Stations. This work will continue over the coming months with completion of this section of track expected in the second quarter of the year.

• We are beginning to focus attention on the track between Titirangi Rd and Fruitvale Station, where preliminary tree felling and earth works have been started. This section of work also includes construction of a second rail bridge
across Titirangi Rd. This will mean the road will be reduced to a single lane, or closed for short periods over the coming months as construction proceeds.

Lowered track through New Lynn confirmed

Government funding has been confirmed for lowering the rail track into a trench through the New Lynn town centre as part of the Western Line Duplication Project.

The redevelopment will mean improved public safety, traffic movements and station facilities.

Two level crossings, including the notorious Clark St roundabout crossing, will be replaced with road bridges and up to three new road crossings built over the lowered track.

It also includes redevelopment of New Lynn station as part of a new passenger transport interchange.

The redevelopment is part of the wider Western line duplication project. It will see about one kilometre of track duplicated and lowered into an open-cut trench running along the existing rail alignment and up to eight metres below
ground level between Portage and Titirangi Rds.

Existing level crossings at Veronica St and the Rankin Ave-Clark St roundabout will be replaced with road bridges.

Two more road bridges will be built to create additional crossings over the rail corridor at Hetana St and Memorial Dr. An extension to Clark St, which would include a third new crossing is also being considered by Waitakere City Council.

Trench construction is expected to begin late in 2007 and be completed by the end of 2009.

The project is a partnership between the ONTRACK, Waitakere City Council and the Auckland Regional Transport Authority.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:43 AM   #16
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Appartenly theres a huge new rail station going in at Papakura. Not that anyones really cares about Papakura lol.

Tāmaki Makaurau
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:22 AM   #17
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

I care greatly about the Hunia Ranges!

The only information re these upgrades is...

A major upgrade and redevelopment of this station is expected to commence in October 2006, as part of the system-wide upgrade of all stations in Auckland. The newly upgraded station is expected to be fully operational by Easter 2007.

This will involve the closure of the suburban platform on the western side of the station and the building of a new extended platform for suburban services on the north end of the main island platform.

Access will be via a new footbridge, complete with ramps and lifts, at the north end of the station connecting with Ron Keat Drive to the east and Railway Street West to the west. The current footbridge will be demolished.

A new locomotive depot complete with Papakura based train crews is to be established on the eastern side of the station.

The old footbridge, suburban platform and bus depot are all to be demolished.

... these are part of ARTA's system wide above track upgrades.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:31 AM   #18
Saljen

Auckland should have one of these. Its called Ultra. They are driverless taxis that run along a little track. You just punch in where you want them to go on a touch screen and off it goes. They are putting them in at Heathrow Airport to link the terminal with some of the carparks that are far away.

Some Benefits: They are entirely electric so no pollution
Less ugly concrete street lamps needed.
Less need for large car parks or carparking buildings
They can run on solar power and use less energy than trams or light rail.
They have sensors so cant crash into each other.
Complete mobility and independance for disabled or elderly people.

In England they are sticking it in Heathrow and other cities are looking at it for common transport routes. They are not very fast, just 40kph or so but dont have to stop for traffic because its all computerized. It would be decent if we had one just going along a set route like ... I dont know.... Along one lane of Wellesly street west and over past Victoria park and up college hill to Ponsonby or something, and then back. Or maybe along the waterfront from the city to Mission bay and back. Just one or two short routes. You dont neccesarily have to cut one lane of traffic off because the width of the track it runs on is only 1.75 metres, about 5ft 9 inches, or half the width of your average road lane. Pipe dream, maybe, but they are going in in England, and they do look cool, and anything that cuts down on roads and carparks is a good thing.

PS. apparently it costs about 10 million per kilometre for this thing and about 1 dollar per trip to keep it running. Reasonably priced.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:40 AM   #19
aucklandman
Ben

Yea that is a good idea, ill tell you what Auckland needs is good old SUBWAY.

No more hairbrain schemes just a reliable rail, ferry and bus service.

And we need to get onto it now.

We see the success of the Northern Busway and the Britomart and to be honest I dont like it when petrol goes down and the ******* bus price goes up.

Auckland Motorways: www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz | www.traffic.aucklandmotorways.co.nz
aucklandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:41 AM   #20
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Add to that the growing demand and basic economic theory should actually say bus fares should drop. Go figure!

Some one is lining their pockets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement